Do anti inflammatory gels actually do anything?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hudu Gurusingha

Cancelled
Jul 11, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers, Houston Astros
Is there any credible evidence that voltaren gel/anti-inflam gels and creams do anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have a disposition towards further reading, this site may be of some assistance.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/topical-nsaids/

In short - YES topical NSAIDs are effective. The creams/gels contain anti-inflammatory chemicals such as Ibuprofen (Nurofen) and help to reduce inflammation (and pain) by blocking prostaglandins (which are mostly pro-inflammatory mediators).

If you have a disposition towards further reading, this site may be of some assistance.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/topical-nsaids/

In short - YES topical NSAIDs are effective. The creams/gels contain anti-inflammatory chemicals such as Ibuprofen (Nurofen) and help to reduce inflammation (and pain) by blocking prostaglandins (which are mostly pro-inflammatory mediators).

l had an aductor strain in my right groin and the physio said that its going to take 3-4 weeks for it to repair. l started using Voltaren Gel once at night and after 1 1/2 weeks the pain has gone ,so in my case yes it does...

l had an aductor strain in my right groin and the physio said that its going to take 3-4 weeks for it to repair. l started using Voltaren Gel once at night and after 1 1/2 weeks the pain has gone ,so in my case yes it does...
I don't think any doctors or responsible physios would recommend voltarin gell every day for a week and a half.

Its my understanding the gel takes 4-5 days to penetrate the various layers of skin to get to the ligaments/tendons affected and by then the drug has travelled through the blood stream and thats why you get crook. I have read on a UK runners forum where its very popular over there to use the small portable ultra-sound you get from the chemist and use it with the gel for faster penetration.

I've heard from a very reputable physio they're rubbish. However as others have said it can take the creams a long time to penetrate deep enough to have any effect, ipso facto the effectiveness would depend on the location of the injury (and it's depth in relation to the skin).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back