Gym & Misc Why does working out make me feel like s**t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fayab99

Senior List
Suspended
Feb 23, 2024
AFL Club
Essendon
I have had this problem for as long as I can remember and i don't understand why

• I eat very healthy
  • I'm in good health (blood tests show no vitamin deficiencies
  • I'm healthy weight
  • I drink lots of water each day

So i go to the gym 5 days a week with 2 rests days.
I do weights 3 times a week and do cardio 2 days a week and on my rest days i just go on walks.

I don't know why but working out always makes me feel like crap. The day after I workout I always feel so groggy and tired. This may sound like overtraining, but i'd have a week or two off and as soon as i get back into it i experience the same symptoms.
My symptoms are usually the same

• tired
  • feel irritable
  • low libido
  • sluggish
  • feel overly stressed / can't handle stress well
  • feel emotional

Just feel crap overall. But why? Anyone have any insight? thanks

Do you ever have rest/rehab weeks?
What's your pre, intra and post workout nutrition like?

I've had to cut down on training a little bit so I'm going 4 times per week but shorten my 3rd and 4th sessions to recover properly. There's a bit of cycling and running thrown in outside the gym to

• I eat very healthy

I'm guessing this is the problem if you're feeling like you're not recovering properly even after a week or two off. You're eating so healthy that you're under fueling for what your body needs to get through and recover from training sessions.

Without knowing a thing about your diet I'm going to assume the emphasis on 'very healthy' means you're right on the edge of your caloric requirements.

• Banned
I'm guessing this is the problem if you're feeling like you're not recovering properly even after a week or two off. You're eating so healthy that you're under fueling for what your body needs to get through and recover from training sessions.

Without knowing a thing about your diet I'm going to assume the emphasis on 'very healthy' means you're right on the edge of your caloric requirements.
This is what I'm thinking

Every time when i eat some junk food i.e. a big pizza, or burger/chips I always feel better the next day. Maybe I'm tanking my testosterone by eating so clean?

But at the same time i'm not losing weight, so doesn't that mean i'm meeting my caloric requirements? If i was undereating , wouldn't i be losing weight?

Every time when i eat some junk food i.e. a big pizza, or burger/chips I always feel better the next day. Maybe I'm tanking my testosterone by eating so clean?

But at the same time i'm not losing weight, so doesn't that mean i'm meeting my caloric requirements? If i was undereating , wouldn't i be losing weight?
There could be a little bit of muscle gain offsetting fat loss.
There are a few online calorie calculators that aren't perfect but might give you an idea of how much you need to eat. It could also be a composition issue too, macros.

You might be right on the edge, enough so you're not losing weight, but not so much that your body can properly handle training sessions - both in terms of appropriate fuel for the session itself, and recovery afterwards.

And as Mofra says, it could be that you're not getting the right composition coming in as well.

Try focusing on pre and post workout nutrition to see if that helps;

He's got some good content in general for pre / post workout snack options.

I agree, you're either over training or your nutrition intake is off re content and/or undereating.

I used to continually overdo it with training(I don't do heavy lifting, high volume light dumbbells instead), so really have to hold myself back, finally got it right at 60 years of age.

• Banned
I agree, you're either over training or your nutrition intake is off re content and/or undereating.

I used to continually overdo it with training(I don't do heavy lifting, high volume light dumbbells instead), so really have to hold myself back, finally got it right at 60 years of age.
This is another thing i considered,

Am i pushing too hard? I train really hard each session, but my sessions aren't overly long (an hour max) and i'm not lifting super heavy till failure

A typical routine would be

Bench Press 3 x 6-8
Incline DB press 4 x 8-12
Chest Flys 4 x 8-12
Dips 3 x 6-8
Triceps exercises about 9 set variations x 8-12
Abs

It doesn't seem like that much does it?

So i guess it is a nutrition issue

This is another thing i considered,

Am i pushing too hard? I train really hard each session, but my sessions aren't overly long (an hour max) and i'm not lifting super heavy till failure

A typical routine would be

Bench Press 3 x 6-8
Incline DB press 4 x 8-12
Chest Flys 4 x 8-12
Dips 3 x 6-8
Triceps exercises about 9 set variations x 8-12
Abs

It doesn't seem like that much does it?

So i guess it is a nutrition issue

I see the problem... you're forgetting leg day! All the blood is getting stuck in your head!

I do legs on another day.

I did assume so!

These might be a good, easy option to have post-workout. I love them after a long run as a quick way to get some carbs and protein down while I wait to be able to stomach proper food.

just wanted to say thanks everyone for the feedback

I've downloaded 'myfitnesspal' app and started tracking my food, i realise that i'm lacking in some macronutrients (fats) and usually just reach my caloric level

so in essence, looks like eating super healthy is actually not doing me good

You’re probably not losing weight because you’re training. You’re stable. However, when you’re training weights 3x a week then you’ve got to increase your calories. Your body demands it. Plus on the cardio days you’re using up calories your body would need for recovery as well.

Increase your food intake. You’ll have so much more energy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re probably not losing weight because you’re training. You’re stable. However, when you’re training weights 3x a week then you’ve got to increase your calories. Your body demands it. Plus on the cardio days you’re using up calories your body would need for recovery as well.

Increase your food intake. You’ll have so much more energy.
Do you have any tips for increasing calories in a healthy way?

I've been adding olive oil to my meals, but it's hard to eat big/ a lot when you generally eat healthy

I also make smoothies with berries, yoghurt etc but eh it just seems hard to eat so much but also eat healthy.

I've been adding olive oil to my meals, but it's hard to eat big/ a lot when you generally eat healthy

I also make smoothies with berries, yoghurt etc but eh it just seems hard to eat so much but also eat healthy.
Add a shake in the morning/night

Easy - milk, greek yogurt, banana, crack an egg in, protein powder if needed. Oats if first thing in the morning

Training at that level though demands fuel. Eating healthy can be also eating a lot and what is required. Smoothies definitely. You’ll get protein, carbohydrates and some fats. Yoghurt, eggs x2, fruit, oats. Pile it in mid morning and even afternoon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back