FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding was it was a distribution deal only.

RTD wanting to do a soft reboot at the same time could very easily be understandable after so many fans dropped off under Capaldi/Whittaker.
I may be venturing into conspiracy theory territory here, but stay with me...

There's what people/companies say in public, and what they really do. The two are rarely the same.

The BBC (including RTD) were always going to say "Disney's money is going to help us make Doctor Who better, but they're not going to have any creative control". That's the public image. They know that there will always be a fear that a Disneyfied Doctor Who won't be the same as the Doctor Who we've come to know & love over the last 60 years. They are desperate to allay those fears, to avoid losing fans of the show.

However, money talks. It always has, and it always will. The reality is that Disney definitely do have the ability to influence creative decisions. Influence is not the same as "Control", in that the final decisions will always be made by the BBC - but the BBC would definitely take Disney's requests into account.

I think it's quite reasonable to see the Space Babies episode as being heavily influenced by Disney's desire to appeal to their Nickelodeon audience.

The BBC (including RTD) were always going to say "Disney's money is going to help us make Doctor Who better, but they're not going to have any creative control". That's the public image. They know that there will always be a fear that a Disneyfied Doctor Who won't be the same as the Doctor Who we've come to know & love over the last 60 years. They are desperate to allay those fears, to avoid losing fans of the show.

However, money talks. It always has, and it always will. The reality is that Disney definitely do have the ability to influence creative decisions.
This is why I mentioned an American Doctor when the Disney deal was mentioned

This is why I mentioned an American Doctor when the Disney deal was mentioned
I couldn't care less if he regenerated into an American. That's the beauty of Time Lord regeneration (though apparently the Doctor isn't technically a Time Lord). There are no limitations on his race/ethnicity, gender, or accent. Christopher Ecclestone made a joke of it in one of his episodes, when Rose (?) pointed out that he was an alien with a northern accent, to which he replied "lots of planets have a North". The last 2 regenerations have transformed him into a female, and a black man, and neither has really been questioned (OK - some misogynists weren't happy with the decision to cast Whittaker in the role).

Yes, we've come to expect that The Doctor will always speak with a British accent, but there is absolutely nothing in Doctor Who cannon/lore which would prevent him from speaking with an American accent. Even if there were, they'd just come up with a way around it, just as they did with the 12 regeneration limit.

I may be venturing into conspiracy theory territory here, but stay with me...

There's what people/companies say in public, and what they really do. The two are rarely the same.

However, money talks. It always has, and it always will. The reality is that Disney definitely do have the ability to influence creative decisions. Influence is not the same as "Control", in that the final decisions will always be made by the BBC - but the BBC would definitely take Disney's requests into account.

I think it's quite reasonable to see the Space Babies episode as being heavily influenced by Disney's desire to appeal to their Nickelodeon audience.

So the farting aliens in RTD's first season were.. what? A come and get me to Disney?

Maybe it's just RTD's style of humour?

Really liked Boom

Should have been the opener - then you can have the exposition in the Space Babies - but then you would see the wild differences in quality
Think you need the exposition first. Not sure this works as an opener.

Think you need the exposition first. Not sure this works as an opener.
The way they set it up with 2 together I think you can

If you're invested enough to watch the first episode then you will watch the 2nd - as many did

If you think Boom was the best episode in a long time you will definitely watch the 2nd

RTD's series always started with madcap/intro/fun/lesser stories - then the deeper one or two - & usually a great run into the finale.

S1 Rose/End of The World
S2 New Earth/Tooth & Claw
S3 Smith & Jones/Shakespeare Code
S4 Partners in Crime/Fires of Pompeii

S1 Space Babies/Devil's Chord

Probably not a single one anyone would rate in their best ever episodes of Who, but all those series to date had far better stories to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Mundy/Monday character is played by the actress who will play the new companion.

A different character though - her name is Belinda I think and will debut in the Moffat-written X-Mas special 'Joy to the World'.

Ah ok.

And I thought I recognised her - she's from Andor!

Boom is a big improvement from the first two episodes and one of the best for years. Ruby is a good actress but very similar to Clara

The new doctor is a much better actor than the last few.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Boom is a big improvement from the first two episodes and one of the best for years. Ruby is a good actress but very similar to Clara

The new doctor is a much better actor than the last few.
I think Capaldi & Whittaker were both great actors... but they were given no chance to shine, with the worst run of scripts the series has ever seen. Nobody could have saved those seasons, and made them watchable.

I think Capaldi & Whittaker were both great actors... but they were given no chance to shine, with the worst run of scripts the series has ever seen. Nobody could have saved those seasons, and made them watchable.

I think re-watching Capaldi you'd be surprised, his last season in particular is fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back