FTA-TV Doctor Who

Remove this Banner Ad

If I have my times right this Sunday morning around 8-30 to 9 or 7 depending on state

On Disney

I think it's Saturday? But could be wrong.

Last edited:

2 episodes today

Space Babies

Kinda creeped me out. But not in a good way. Uncanny Valley kind of feel

Ignoring the Xmas Special : as an opener it felt like a mid season episode

The Devils Chord

Much better premise and introduced a fantastic new character which got let down by the end (for me)
They could have had a bit more fun with this episode - have Mick Jagger meet Ruby and pen a tune called Ruby Sunday only to change it etc - little bits of naff like that

While Ncuti has a lot of energy a season of it might be too much

First episode was nothing particularly new but a solid opener for new viewers.

Second tried to do something new - so kudos for that even if not everything hit the high notes (boom tish). Not sure I ever want to see the Maestro return however.

But still - the show is back. Hoping for better things to come.

They could've easily paid fees for some of the covers the boys sang at this stage of their career. 'Twist & Shout' being the obvious one.

Yeah a bit of a weird one given the impressive CGI at other points in the episode. Felt a strange use of the budget.

Whenever shows/movies go cheap on IP like music it really shows and makes it feel quite a cheap imitation.

1st one was okay, didn't capture attention in any way. Second one started very well and fell apart in the second half

The new doctor is a good actor and with better stories should do well. Ruby is okay but very much playing second fiddle so far, hopefully writing improves as the problem with her character seems to be the writing (bit too awestruck) She is nice to watch though

Both of them are an improvement on the garbage of the last few years as actors.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I have to say, I really didn't think much of the first two episodes.

Space Babies felt like everything Rose wasn't. Trying to cram in too much backstory on day one, standing around talking instead of getting on with the adventure.

The snot monster and nappy contents powering the ship was juvenile, and Russell was clearly tickled by the terms "space babies", he went back to it way too many times.

My 11 year old was complaining the episode "was aimed at children". That wasn't a complement.

The Beatles episode was better, but only just. Jinkx Monsoon's scenery chewing would have made some 80s JNT guest stars blush, and the Beatles just came across as lame. Gatwa saves the episode, he is an incredible presence on screen, and is working his socks off to make something of some pretty rote dialogue. Gibson is fine, a bit generic, but she works well with Ncuti.

There is just something overly self-conscious about introducing the show to a new audience, rather than present to show we love and let them pick it up, or not.

Hopefully Moffat can get things on track next week. At the very least, Gatwa should have some better dialogue to sink his teeth into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't care for Space Babies much myself, but loved The Devil's Chord. Incredible new villain! It's a shame
the song and dance number at the end
was so forgettable.

RTD seasons tended to put the weaker, fluffier scripts at the start of the season, so with the shorter season I'm hoping we soon get to see what this Doctor and companion can do with more dramatic material. With a Moffat script coming up, the omens are good.

I actually quite liked Space Babies in so much as I enjoyed the twist ending. It felt very much Moffat/RTD style Who which has been missing somewhat. It was definitely a bit silly, but since I sat there watching it while holding my two month old, I was in the mood for that sort of story.

Is the fanbase too fickle?
The first two episodes are peak tennant/Smith stories, with the same level of acting.
Hell, space babies was effectively the adipose with human children instead of balls of humanoid fat.

Found myself constantly rolling my eyes at the Space Babies episode. Most people romanticised the return of RTD after the dismal Chibnall/13th Doctor error/era, but it's fair to say that Davies wrote and produced a number of clunker episodes in his first go-round as showrunner, and Space Babies is up there. Paper-thin plot that was basically designed to showcase puerile jokes aimed at the Nickoledeon audience (fart jokes, Ruby getting slimed, etc.) and the constant repeating of "babies... space babies" was ridiculous.

Give that one 3/10.

Enjoyed The Devil's Chord a lot more. Thought that Jinkx was made to play a Doctor Who villain and the Maestro was a terrific and memorable villain. Hope the Maestro appears later on in the season because it would be great to see Jinkx come back again.

Really wish the episode didn't waste the last five or so minutes on the musical number. Wasn't even related to the Beatles at the end of the day. Disney could afford the licensing fees to acquire the rights to use Beatles music in the episode, and all we got was some pretty lacklustre actors attempting to play Paul and John. No George and Ringo? Come on Disney. Spend that budget!

Was reserving judgement on Ncuti as the new Doctor, but he's been excellent in the first two episodes so far. And I'm also glad that RTD is resisting the temptation to trod the well-worn path of making the show all about the companion with cameos from the Doctor (which was a major calling card of Moffat - felt like we had the Amy Pond Show featuring the Doctor, and then the Clara Oswald Show featuring the Doctor at times), even though the season-long story arc is clearly going to be about the back-story of Ruby.

Give The Devil's Chord 7/10.

Found myself constantly rolling my eyes at the Space Babies episode. Most people romanticised the return of RTD after the dismal Chibnall/13th Doctor error/era, but it's fair to say that Davies wrote and produced a number of clunker episodes in his first go-round as showrunner, and Space Babies is up there. Paper-thin plot that was basically designed to showcase puerile jokes aimed at the Nickoledeon audience (fart jokes, Ruby getting slimed, etc.) and the constant repeating of "babies... space babies" was ridiculous.

Give that one 3/10.

Enjoyed The Devil's Chord a lot more. Thought that Jinkx was made to play a Doctor Who villain and the Maestro was a terrific and memorable villain. Hope the Maestro appears later on in the season because it would be great to see Jinkx come back again.

Really wish the episode didn't waste the last five or so minutes on the musical number. Wasn't even related to the Beatles at the end of the day. Disney could afford the licensing fees to acquire the rights to use Beatles music in the episode, and all we got was some pretty lacklustre actors attempting to play Paul and John. No George and Ringo? Come on Disney. Spend that budget!

Was reserving judgement on Ncuti as the new Doctor, but he's been excellent in the first two episodes so far. And I'm also glad that RTD is resisting the temptation to trod the well-worn path of making the show all about the companion with cameos from the Doctor (which was a major calling card of Moffat - felt like we had the Amy Pond Show featuring the Doctor, and then the Clara Oswald Show featuring the Doctor at times), even though the season-long story arc is clearly going to be about the back-story of Ruby.

Give The Devil's Chord 7/10.
Disney doesn't produce the show. Why do people keep thinking this?

Disney doesn't produce the show. Why do people keep thinking this?

They have a contract with Bad Wolf Ltd for Davies to produce the show. Having had some experience in television show production in the past, I would be shocked if Disney ceded full creative control to Davies. Perhaps they have, but I suspect that they will have the ability to "influence" the show in certain ways.

They have a contract with Bad Wolf Ltd for Davies to produce the show. Having had some experience in television show production in the past, I would be shocked if Disney ceded full creative control to Davies. Perhaps they have, but I suspect that they will have the ability to "influence" the show in certain ways.
They obviously do... the BBC wouldn't have felt the need to spend half the Space Babies episode on doing speeches explaining all about The Doctor, TARDIS, Time Lords and Gallifrey. That was obviously inserted at the request of Disney.

There's no reason to think that the Nickelodeon content wasn't inserted for similar reasons.

My understanding was it was a distribution deal only.

RTD wanting to do a soft reboot at the same time could very easily be understandable after so many fans dropped off under Capaldi/Whittaker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back