Does climate change actually matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think, in fact I'm pretty confident there won't be a significant tangible difference in my lifetime.

That is, I will die before climate change leads to the catastrophic rising of the oceans and doomsday that is predicted to bring.

I'm sure I will experience some subtle changes like slightly higher temperatures, and probably some economic/government/policy changes, but these things are probably among many other social changes that will impact my life.

So the question is, do I choose to do anything about climate change? I haven't decided yet. I definetely support the principles of a greener earth and taking care of the environment/animals and green sustainable energy, but my views on that aren't based around climate change.

I'm a hell of a lot more worried about the real impact of extreme political correct-ism, general stupidity of politicians, threat of global/nuclear war, threat of violence/attacks based on any number of factors, rise of artificial intelligence, government control, meantal health, physical health, disability, antibiotic resistance and technology changes. Things that definitely have more likelihood of impacting me in my lifetime.

Last edited:
Next time you get the chance to have a conversation with a young person, anywhere from 10-18 years old, ask them how much the water has risen due to climate change. The answer(s) you get will be equal parts amusing and horrifying.

Does climate change actually matter:-

We are told that if we don't do something about it, the world will be uninhabitable for our children's, children's, children's children's children etc, etc.

But firstly, none of us will be alive when this supposedly happens, so why is it our problem?

I bet in the Middle Ages, they didn't think "We need to act now, so that there is still a world in 2019". No, no other generation gave a toss what world they left us, so why does it fall on us?

Secondly, even if we do something about it, how do we know that future generations will also follow suit. Many millenials are selfish now, they might not be stuffed saving the enviroment down the track, so all our hard work might be undone.

Thirdly, how do we know in a couple of hundred years' time, we will even have a world we want to leave to future generations. Maybe the world will be more stuffed now than it is. Society is getting worse, not better. Maybe the Earth might be ripe by then to be put out of its misery.

So, I am not saying it isn't important at all, but why the obsession over something we will never get to see anyway?
Ridiculous thread .You say that people and millennials don't care about it which is wrong.It's due to greed of a very small % of the population and politicians who do the bidding of the coal lobby.Nearly all people want something done about it but people are making money from coal and they are protected by thrle liberal party and the CMFEU.

I couldn't give a toss about climate change. If I do what I can, the 50 billion people in China aren't so it's all for nothing anyway. My children's, children's children better evolve to have flippers if the ice caps melt.
That's the spirit ,you look after yourself mate.

Are we still on track to run out of fossil fuels?

Back in 2001 when I was in primary school I was told that we would run out of fossil fuels in 50 years... this doesn't appear to be a discussion point anymore?

Were they wrong when I was told this?
Technology has adapted to maintain the status quo regarding oil and gas use by developing new ways to extract previously difficult deposits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we still on track to run out of fossil fuels?

Back in 2001 when I was in primary school I was told that we would run out of fossil fuels in 50 years... this doesn't appear to be a discussion point anymore?

Were they wrong when I was told this?
Yep, However it will be priced out before we "Run out"

I'ld say efficiency in the way we use fuel and public transport will be more of an option before you pay 7 dollars a litre of petrol.

Have you been to the Great Barrier Reef? Tuvalu? A farm?
Crown of thorn starfish has been a problem for the barrier reef for forty years now. These starfish and cyclones have been the leading causes of coral cover losses in the past near thirty years.

Australian cyclone data
tc-graph-1969-2012.png

Reporting on cyclones feels higher though.

We may never run out.

Rate of exploration and production is limited by supply and driven by demand.

At current rates of coal production we have reserves to last a few hundred years. Of that production we export most of it, so if it came to some Mad Max style coal war we'd be fine. But we're already moving away from coal even with a govt with an industrial revolution hard on, so in 5, 10, 20 years time coal reserves could just be dirt in the ground. Oil and gas are still in vogue so will take longer but the same principle applies.

Crown of thorn starfish has been a problem for the barrier reef for forty years now. These starfish and cyclones have been the leading causes of coral cover losses in the past near thirty years.

Australian cyclone data
tc-graph-1969-2012.png

Reporting on cyclones feels higher though.

Why set 40 years as a timeline out of thousands of years? Cyclones, natural predators etc. have been part of the environment before man showed up and started poking around. We've either made it worse or we haven't.

In the middle ages people did think of future generations that is why they took religion so seriously, they built large cathedrals and fought wars to try and secure the future of their faith and they believed keep future generations in the grace of god. Climate change matters because it directly impacts on the world around us, it isn't just what happens in 500 years time but what happens next season.

What do you mean by evidence?
Yes
Your making things up and spreading fake news.There is overwhelming evidence that temperatures are rising because of increased CO2 in the atmosphere. There is 99 % concensus amoungst climate scientists,the other 1% are paid off by the coal lobby.Stop spreading fake news.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back