Does Murphy get to 300?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just silly to think that Murphy has never been the best player on the ground in a winning performance. Why does it have to be a Michael Voss unstoppable freight train type game? Murphy isn't built to play in that fashion.

I also never said he hasn't been best on ground. The claims were clear - and I was refuting that he could win games off his own boot and turn the game around.

I literally never saw it. That was the claim - I am refuting it - its very clear issue being discussed here.

I said a while back that we will have arrived once Murphy is no longer in our side. Unfortunately even that doesn't seem to be likely atm.

While Murph has been a loyal servant of our club he has been in some way a cancer on our list, in that the standard set on field, I can't speak for off it, has been substandard.

Opposition know this and exploit him.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

refers to a near 300 game player who has had his body wrecked by the game, all australian, captain, MVP winner as a cancer..............and suggests the club has standard problems.........

Yeah - this. This is what I have problem with the bolted on Murphy fan club. I would genuinely rather not bag out Murphy, in my view he deserves it in spades - but let it go, same applies to all footy players its a tough gig. But when you get people coming on day after day making endless excuses, almost all of which don't stack up - and then you get what are just absolutely absurd claims then you're left with no choice.

Not once did I see Murphy turn the tide single handed to win a game of football. I have seen him have some great games, with big numbers - but not this. I think I saw Gibbs do it once - and Gibbs was twice the player.

He is no Thomas, Swan, Franklin, Ablett, Diesel, Dusty, Carey, McCloud etc - he is just 100 miles off it and talking him up is infuriating.

I honestly think Murphy may well be one of the most overrated players of all time.

I would put him in the category of Dean Rice, not even Brett Ratten - Mathew Lappin was a better player.
300 games in modern football is no mean feat. You are venting for 15 years of failure, and trying to blame one player which is really unfair. He was not Robinson Crusoe when it comes to letting supporters down over 15 years. We have 4 high price recruits who we are waiting to earn their salaries.

refers to a near 300 game player who has had his body wrecked by the game, all australian, captain, MVP winner as a cancer..............and suggests the club has standard problems.........
You’ve clearly established Murphy’s “good bloke” status. Club great through some of our darkest times and harshly marked by some on here for that. Absolutely.
But…
Does that mean the club gifts him the games to 300 and doesn’t hold him to the same standards as the other players in the list? He has not been up to AFL standard for much of this season. Why shouldn’t he fight for his spot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Because he got a hard bump and lay on the ground for a very, very long time? Or because he played such an unstoppable game like the aforementioned that he turned the entire game off his own bat.

No - he was a decent game - but it was not Tony Locket or Fev kicking 9. Polson had more impact.

Would have to watch 2013 again - but have very little inclination as I very much doubt it was an Michael Voss unstoppable freight train winning the game.

Mate WTF did Murph kill your cat then your dog or something

The only person who will reflect on whether Murphy should get to 300 games is Murphy.
As supports of the club we can debate until the cows come home, but really serves no purpose what so ever.
Murphy is the one in years to come that 'maybe' haunted with, should I have retired after 2XX games and be considered a champion by many?
Or I was carried to 300 games that I really didn't deserve?
:)

The only person who will reflect on whether Murphy should get to 300 games is Murphy.
As supports of the club we can debate until the cows come home, but really serves no purpose what so ever.
Murphy is the one in years to come that 'maybe' haunted with, should I have retired after 2XX games and be considered a champion by many?
Good Post Cliff... :thumbsupv1:
Think he will still be remember by us supporters as a 300 game Carlton champion, even if he gets carried to 300 games...
In years to come we will forget and only remember him as a 300 game player..

I said a while back that we will have arrived once Murphy is no longer in our side. Unfortunately even that doesn't seem to be likely atm.

While Murph has been a loyal servant of our club he has been in some way a cancer on our list, in that the standard set on field, I can't speak for off it, has been substandard.

Opposition know this and exploit him.

You know this is the type of thing I was talking about when I said:

Why is it always one thing or the other? Nothing is black and white. Sometimes, a thing can both even if they are contradictory.

Last edited:
Good Post Cliff... :thumbsupv1:
Think he will still be remember by us supporters as a 300 game Carlton champion, even if he gets carried to 300 games...
In years to come we will forget and only remember him as a 300 game player..
The best thing that sums this up , is watching Heath buck on my blue heaven about Murphy

and he said the whole selection integrity ha to be questioned and clearly Murphy and curnow and co helped Teague get the job with their performances,in 2019 but Murphy tickets have been shot along time ago

and players like McKay ,kouta , sticks , Sexton,and many champions of our once great club didn’t get to 300 but all their games were earnt and their legacy hasn’t diminished because they didn’t get to 300

Murphy behaviour this year has been deplorable and he will actually get remembered better overall , if he decides to fall on his sword like barker did

and he will get celebrated a lot more now than when he gets to 300

The best thing that sums this up , is watching Heath buck on my blue heaven about Murphy

and he said the whole selection integrity ha to be questioned and clearly Murphy and curnow and co helped Teague get the job with their performances,in 2019 but Murphy tickets have been shot along time ago

and players like McKay ,kouta , sticks , Sexton,and many champions of our once great club didn’t get to 300 but all their games were earnt and their legacy hasn’t diminished because they didn’t get to 300

Murphy behaviour this year has been deplorable and he will actually get remembered better overall , if he decides to fall on his sword like barker did

Murphy's behaviour? Murphy doesn't pick the side, if you have an issue with Murphy being selected, direct your angst elsewhere

Murphy's behaviour? Murphy doesn't pick the side, if you have an issue with Murphy being selected, direct your angst elsewhere

If you haven’t noticed his behaviour,with his comments about himself and how supposedly he is so deserving ,
behaviour in terms of leadership

And my angst is levelled at him and at Teague who is head coach who is out of depth by keeping picking

I was very envious of what the crows have done this

they got rid of selfish player in Brad couch who would be equivalent of selfishness with our Murphy

and look at the crows now , all buying in to pay for each other

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deplorable....really???

Please educate me on this “deplorable” behaviour Murph is guilty of, heck I’ll even give you his entire career to pick some from, not just this year.

Your catastrophising made me read your post in a Karen-ish voice

Now if you want to talk rationally about Murph, what he is guilty of this year is playing conditional footy in the twilight of his footy career and eeking out another year or so when the club could have retired him at the end of last year. That’s hardly a hanging offence and plenty of players have played conditional footy for most of their career, not just the last part.

Even then, the fault for this is the List Management, Coaches and the MC - they are the ones that offer contracts, review games and select the side, not Murph. I suspect this is part of why the footy department is coming under review, don’t you?

I’m not enjoying Murph’s footy this year and personally I would have retired him after 2020, but we haven’t and again that’s not on Murph, most athletes will run the tank well past dry if you let them - it’s on our MC for accepting this conditional football.

You can direct your anger any way you choose, I prefer to look elsewhere than the 33yo at the end of his career who should have been pushed out of a spot by now. I’m much more disappointed in:
  • our Footy Manager for his oversight, or lack thereof, during Bolton and now Teague
  • Our coaches for agreeing to and playing an average game plan that doesn’t play to our list strengths
  • our MC for selecting guys in the wrong spots
  • Dow, Cuners, SPS, Gibbons, LOB, Martin, Silvagni, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker and Fisher who through a combination of injury, inconsistency, lack of fitness, performance and positional adaptability have not been able to cement a spot in the Mid/Fwd roles that Murph has held. They’re all early-mid 20’s and just not good enough
Anyway, my rant at your rant over....go Baggers ;)

If you haven’t noticed his behaviour,with his comments about himself and how supposedly he is so deserving ,
behaviour in terms of leadership

And my angst is levelled at him and at Teague who is head coach who is out of depth by keeping picking

I was very envious of what the crows have done this

they got rid of selfish player in Brad couch who would be equivalent of selfishness with our Murphy

and look at the crows now , all buying in to pay for each other

You have been here 5 minutes, so perhaps you have little idea as to my thoughts on Murphy

Stated last year that Murphy should consider retiring given his output continued to deteriorate and that he wouldn't be around when we were a true contender

But, his selection has nothing to do him, so again, direct your angst elsewhere

You’ve clearly established Murphy’s “good bloke” status. Club great through some of our darkest times and harshly marked by some on here for that. Absolutely.
But…
Does that mean the club gifts him the games to 300 and doesn’t hold him to the same standards as the other players in the list? He has not been up to AFL standard for much of this season. Why shouldn’t he fight for his spot?
how do you know he isn't fighting for his spot? he's running on fumes and it's not his call whether he plays or not - there wouldn't be a player on the list who'd begrudge him his 300 I'm tipping - culture wise I'd be more worried about groups of fringe players skulking about with "oh, boohoo, murph is playing s**t and we can't get a game, not fair!" doubt that however - I couldn't be ****ed we are carrying him to the line - unlikely to happen again for a long time and will be doing zero if any damage to players or our chances of winning in the remainder of the season - just finish it...........

Deplorable....really???

Please educate me on this “deplorable” behaviour Murph is guilty of, heck I’ll even give you his entire career to pick some from, not just this year.

Your catastrophising made me read your post in a Karen-ish voice

Now if you want to talk rationally about Murph, what he is guilty of this year is playing conditional footy in the twilight of his footy career and eeking out another year or so when the club could have retired him at the end of last year. That’s hardly a hanging offence and plenty of players have played conditional footy for most of their career, not just the last part.

Even then, the fault for this is the List Management, Coaches and the MC - they are the ones that offer contracts, review games and select the side, not Murph. I suspect this is part of why the footy department is coming under review, don’t you?

I’m not enjoying Murph’s footy this year and personally I would have retired him after 2020, but we haven’t and again that’s not on Murph, most athletes will run the tank well past dry if you let them - it’s on our MC for accepting this conditional football.

You can direct your anger any way you choose, I prefer to look elsewhere than the 33yo at the end of his career who should have been pushed out of a spot by now. I’m much more disappointed in:
  • our Footy Manager for his oversight, or lack thereof, during Bolton and now Teague
  • Our coaches for agreeing to and playing an average game plan that doesn’t play to our list strengths
  • our MC for selecting guys in the wrong spots
  • Dow, Cuners, SPS, Gibbons, LOB, Martin, Silvagni, Setterfield, Kennedy, Stocker and Fisher who through a combination of injury, inconsistency, lack of fitness, performance and positional adaptability have not been able to cement a spot in the Mid/Fwd roles that Murph has held. They’re all early-mid 20’s and just not good enough
Anyway, my rant at your rant over....go Baggers ;)
I agree with you about the Mc snd list manger and poor development , and this development is the thing that has cost us the most , because we were unable to build any depth to our playing list and gifted a lot of games to players who didn’t deserve it and that includes Murphy during his Long career at Carlton

and why I have stated that the whole match committee and coaches all need to go and Murphy and it includes Docherty the club need to make a statement ,this review needs to wake this club up , we have mediocre for 20 years
Swans got rid Hannebery
Crows got rid of Brad crouch
And look the energy and excitement. At this club

watching this weekend and seeing
Hawks beat swans
Pies beat dees
Crows beats saints
Was so depressing and we have a good side
And then to watch a overrated side like port in the 8 and 5th on the ladder shows how close we are but no belief In this playing group

and only a fresh start with a proven winning coach

ross Lyon proven wining ratio and still has the hunger
Brad Scott proven winning ratio and both have toughness and aura about them
One thing we both agree about is , Go baggers !!
I have adult kids and they are just used to Carlton losing and know nothing else other than my stories of famous days of old !!

But…

Yes one can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Can acknowledge he’d had a very good career but also acknowledge he is cooked now and shouldn’t be playing.

Probably a few times over the past 3-4 years he should of been dropped too.

Maybe he should ask Mick martyn how he feels.

how do you know he isn't fighting for his spot? he's running on fumes and it's not his call whether he plays or not - there wouldn't be a player on the list who'd begrudge him his 300 I'm tipping - culture wise I'd be more worried about groups of fringe players skulking about with "oh, boohoo, murph is playing sh*t and we can't get a game, not fair!" doubt that however - I couldn't be f’ed we are carrying him to the line - unlikely to happen again for a long time and will be doing zero if any damage to players or our chances of winning in the remainder of the season - just finish it...........
Firstly, love the passion.

Also, I don’t entirely disagree that his presence isn’t going to affect our chance of winning.

But… I can’t believe that the games we are using to, as you say, carry him to 300 don’t affect others at the club. These are games that can be another player’s opportunity to establish themselves. If the season is shot, they are games Teague should be using to work at improving the list going forward. The club is bigger than you, me and Marc Murphy.

Firstly, love the passion.

Also, I don’t entirely disagree that his presence isn’t going to affect our chance of winning.

But… I can’t believe that the games we are using to, as you say, carry him to 300 don’t affect others at the club. These are games that can be another player’s opportunity to establish themselves. If the season is shot, they are games Teague should be using to work at improving the list going forward. The club is bigger than you, me and Marc Murphy.
There would be at a lot of players who just want to him to retire

so that’s a pretty big statement to say no one would begrudge him 300

he doesn’t deserve another game on form. And hasn’t for a long time

does anyone want to see Carlton succeed or does the club honestly think we supporters are happy with the players milestones and that’s all ??
This week is a big decision for the club and there so called review !!
There is no way Murphy plays this week based on form including medical sub

so let’s see

I'm still scarred from Brad Fisher missing out, a travesty.

I can't think straight with this one, only 5 games....but he barely got out of 1st gear when he came on last week.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
The Fisher one was stupid by ratts because he got stuck on 99 and one short of the father and son protection

and hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite us

And that's after kicking 10 in the reserves then still not being selected.

The only thing I can think of was Ratts was trying to prove some kind of point.

Brad fisher son better not be a Sam Walsh type freak , cause then Carlton supporters will unite and protest to pull ratts life membership from the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back