Review Dogs 90 overcome a slow start to beat ASADA 49

Remove this Banner Ad

He had to reinvent himself as a forward though. Because he was never going to make it as a defender. He just doesn't have the nous for the position. His form in the VFL would suggest that it's been the correct move for him, given his best attribute is his ability to mark and kick the ball. Whether the club has enough faith in him to persist with him in the role of 3rd tall remains to be seen. However I have my doubts.

Personally as a forward, I dont see him as an upgrade on Lobb as a 3rd tall and if Lobb is out of favour. I'd rather us go with 2 talls and another small pressure forward be it Jones or debut the likes of Gallagher or Clarke. This doesn't solve the pressing issue of the second ruck issue though. We saw late in the first what happens when we rest English and ask an undersized player to go into the middle and play the role.

We won't do that a second week.

No he isn't. I doubt that the club saw him as anything other than 3rd tall who can pinch hit in the ruck. It was a weird move going back in time to when we ran an undersized second ruck. It hasn't worked since the 3rd man up rule was changed. If we wanted a second ruck and that wasn't going to be Lobb, then it should've been Bruce or even Sweet.

Playing Khamis in the role was not a good idea and set him up to fail.
Honestly we would have been better rucking Macrae. Majority of the ‘benefit’ in the undersized ruck theory is you get an extra ground level player but Buku doesn’t provide that either. Not his fault it just isn’t his game

I notice the HUN's report of tonight's game is all about how the result will impact the Bombres. I mean, what else could they possibly write about? 🙄

I'll be out first thing tomorrow to buy the paper because I want to read the 4 page spread on "we can see the emerging Bummers dynasty in this side" which inevitably follows a semi-positive effort, or a win over the Eagles...
They already did a double page spread on us, s**t canning us via McGuane

Never see those on Essendon unless it’s about them cheating and still not winning finals. It’s ok though, their fans will tell you they won 16 flags….but bugger all in the ultra competitive, even, much larger and harder to win 18 team AFL. ******* frauds

Some thoughts ::-

- Credit to to the opposition coach, Scott played to our strengths by chipping the ball around defence , allowing us to set up behind the ball and pressure their mids into making mistakes. It was a couple of 2016 game styles going head to head and our mids were on fire so we eat that sh1t for breakfast. We don't like it when teams play quick and direct and get a run of goals. Slowing the game up was daft. Maybe he's been scarred by last week.

- English had one of his occasional ruck disasters but it didn't make much difference & he worked his way into the game and had a fine last quarter.

- Buku is much more mobile than Lobb and influenced more contests, but he hasn't got the weapons to hold a spot. He's neither one thing or another.

- Smith has lost confidence in his kicking. He has the yips but all over the park .But his tackling was fierce and his line breaking runs are back.

- Ed Richards plays tall for a bloke 1.8m. He's our best back by a mile at the moment.

- Weightman ended up with the goals but I still wish he'd lead more than outmuscle and outmark his direct opponent, especially on transition.

- Duryea was OUTSTANDING. No he was ok. He's on the decline but still serviceable.

- Always fun to peruse the Jake Stringer player watch thread on the Bombers board after such a game. That was a stinker. They would have opened the roof at the Dome to clear the stench.

Last edited:

Those pumping up Bailey Smith, yes he was much better tonight, his tackling was great, but missing everything from 30 out was a disgrace and those turn over kicks in the 2nd half inexcusable. I hope the trade rumours are true, because we don’t need kicks like that in our team and he does it every single week
Go away other club troll

He played his role tonight, but what did he do in the Pies game?

So we single out one game when he was clearly not well do we? One game out of 100? Nice sample size.

It would be madness to trade him for many reasons - he’s going nowhere.

Spin the wheel and come up with another player to play your MD game with.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

at 1/4 Time thinking what the hell was that, and the tactics from the Bombers.....the rest of it, other than Bont you want the ball in Caleb Daniel's hands, his decision making and then finding the teammate in space is elite...Jamarra presents like superstar and goes hard contested marks, next year's improvement could well be the accuracy to be a champion.

Bailey Smith is a ball butcher, back him all you want, but if he does get traded out next season, I’ll be rapt. Too many bad kicks in the side as it is

Quick question. Did anyone else have mobile network issues at the game? I couldn't get my digital card loaded or listen to the game and I'm wondering if it was my phone ?
It's happened to me before at Marvel...not often, but enough to be annoying from time to time.

Last edited:
Not that I'm superstitious, but... tonight's pizza was from the same pizza place that I got pizzas from when we won three games earlier in the year. Looks like they might get my business next week as well. Ajays Pizzaria is 4-0 so far this year.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Do you think you'd be able to do it every week for the rest of the season.

Bailey Smith is a ball butcher, back him all you want, but if he does get traded out next season, I’ll be rapt. Too many bad kicks in the side as it is
You are now in trolling territory. Multiple negative posts about one player and no other contributions to make. Give it a rest mate.

Very pleased to get a win.
But let's not wallpaper over the cracks. Essendon were awful. We fell in due to willpower from our skipper and Libba.
Josh Bruce, mate you're done. Thank you for your service.
Bailey Smith, great defensive game but go to the range and kick 100 balls. Naughton should join you
Bont go to the range and kick 50 balls
Buku contested but isn't a 2nd ruck.
Poulter stop panicking when you have the pill
Richards and Dale, sometimes it's better to kick the ball long down the line.
Weightman, Naughton how about leading to the fat side if JUH is leading toward the kicker

Daniel having a really underrated season, Smith tried his guts out and was hungry, Treloar messy but productive.
Gardner ok, Scott ok, English good.

I'm thinking a couple of indiscretions might get picked up by MRO, maybe fines. Who knows these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game all season where I thought we played with 100% intensity and effort, and it showed. Some unreal tackling and pressure in there. You could tell the club really did not want to lose that one.

One of Bont's best games in ages. He was everywhere.

After first quarter , the intensity was there no doubt but that Essendon team were pretty ordinary.
It was great to eventually control the game , but we are going to have to up the pressure again to beat any of the better teams.
We still play a messy brand.

I notice the HUN's report of tonight's game is all about how the result will impact the Bombres. I mean, what else could they possibly write about?

I'll be out first thing tomorrow to buy the paper because I want to read the 4 page spread on "we can see the emerging Bummers dynasty in this side" which inevitably follows a semi-positive effort, or a win over the Eagles...
A lot of Melbourne based media types still think it's the good ol days of the VFL & have this obsession with the 'big' clubs of that era. P155es me orf

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

He had to reinvent himself as a forward though. Because he was never going to make it as a defender. He just doesn't have the nous for the position. His form in the VFL would suggest that it's been the correct move for him, given his best attribute is his ability to mark and kick the ball. Whether the club has enough faith in him to persist with him in the role of 3rd tall remains to be seen. However I have my doubts.

Personally as a forward, I dont see him as an upgrade on Lobb as a 3rd tall and if Lobb is out of favour. I'd rather us go with 2 talls and another small pressure forward be it Jones or debut the likes of Gallagher or Clarke. This doesn't solve the pressing issue of the second ruck issue though. We saw late in the first what happens when we rest English and ask an undersized player to go into the middle and play the role.

We won't do that a second week.

No he isn't. I doubt that the club saw him as anything other than 3rd tall who can pinch hit in the ruck. It was a weird move going back in time to when we ran an undersized second ruck. It hasn't worked since the 3rd man up rule was changed. If we wanted a second ruck and that wasn't going to be Lobb, then it should've been Bruce or even Sweet.

Playing Khamis in the role was not a good idea and set him up to fail.
Imagine if English was injured early, I think we would have had a different result, it is just too risky to go with Buku as the second ruck.

Imagine if English was injured early, I think we would have had a different result, it is just too risky to go with Buku as the second ruck.
I was in favour of dropping Lobb with Darcy playing well in the VFL but he needed to come back in last night. It’s too important to our overall structure.

Honestly what the club has done with Buku is a disgrace. They’ve tried to turn a 191cm player into a backup ruck and play him in position where we have an abundance of elite talent. At the other end of the ground, we’re crying out for a mobile 3rd tall with neat skills but instead we get to watch our key defender trio fail to execute basic skills.

Buku is a flanker. He may be developed as an interceptor with a bit of dash like Jiath at Hawthorn or he could possibly play as a drifting half forward who can compete in the air.
It is too much to ask of the kid to play positions he is not ready for, maturity and body size doesn't measure up.
I really was happy that he competed but he was thrown to the wolves. I hope Bevo keeps him in but also brings back Lobb.
Buku could be used in defence ahead of Bruce. At least you would get speed and drive from half back. He might get outmarked, but Bruce does anyway.

Bevo seems to give players a couple of games at least before resting them. I hope he gives Buku a fair chance in a position that he has a chance.

I hope we back Buku in next week buuut, I don’t think the 3rd Tall/Back up Ruck is his role.

He often contested and brought the ball to ground for Cody and West which was good, he made some good leads but we opted to go to JUH/Naughty first but he did just look a) a bit lost, b) a bit undersized

I think his preferred role is down back as that intercepting defender but it doesn’t help we’ve been playing him as our key forward in the VFL.

I notice the HUN's report of tonight's game is all about how the result will impact the Bombres. I mean, what else could they possibly write about? 🙄

Yes, I also noticed that. Bummers still headlining online. Such a shock that they aren't as good as Robbo thought they might be - not.

My overall thoughts from game

• Bont is a class above
  • Libba and Caleb Daniel stars
  • Smith played a great game minus his kicking
  • Ryan Gardner has stepped up massively in the absence of Jones
  • Poulter and Baker great pick ups
  • JUH going to be great to watch in the next years to come
  • Thought Scott had a good game
  • Ed Richards = huge
  • I love how much dons fans hate Cody

I just remembered the Saints picked Jack Billings over Bont

Couple of points

- Smith was no where near his best, but he did have an impact on the game. Hope he continues on that trajectory. He did butcher it a few times but it was one of the better games he’s played since the Blues game

- Bruce unfortunately was a huge liability, luckily enough the midfield turned it up a few gears and started doubling back. Gardner wasn’t great, serviceable at best
Keath and his kicking, no more needs to be mentioned

- something must have clicked with Libba at qtr time. He looked disgusted at the first break & his first quarter was probably the worst quarter he’s played for the season yet. To then turn it on and have the impact he did can also attribute to Scott being ignorant of just how hard he works. Think he’ll take the 3 Brownlow votes away from Bont . Bont was just Bont.

- Poulter gets better week by week, just the sort of player coming through that we need for depth. He shows composure and can kick

- that was the collective team’s worst first quarter for the season. Completely void of any functional structure. Play like that again, should they make the finals, and they’ll get smashed.

- leave Macrae in the middle ffs. Once he was moved back there they started smashing the centre clearances. You can’t underestimate just how important his contribution to centre clearances is.

- hope that last night turned a switch on and from here they regain momentum

Remove this Banner Ad

Back