Autopsy Port beat Dogs 70-56

Remove this Banner Ad

McLean is coming back from pretty much two years of no footy. I personally would retain him one more season after this. Give him a whole year this year to work on conditioning and getting used to football again via the VFL. He shows he still capable of something in the VFL games. Then see how he goes next year with a full season behind him. He will get his 100th game at some point. But right now I don't think he is fit enough for AFL level.

We are not cutting 10 guys at once. There is half a dozen guys worse than him that have no excuses for their poor play and effort that I would cut before him to be honest.

Perhaps we have been seduced by Geelong's success with topping up an ageing list? But they are certainly an outlier.

My understanding of Bevo is that he is philosophically opposed to a rebuild through the draft, and that we should be seriously competing for the premiership in every season. That sounds enticing, but I fear that it is contributing to the limbo we currently find ourselves in. As others have noted, we have stockpiled a fair bit of deadwood in the 27+ age bracket, and Bevo's fingerprints are all over that. IMO, we need to emancipate our list manager from Bevo's ideological bias so that we can hit the draft hard for a couple of years. I would rather endure a couple of years of development than an indeterminate amount of time in football purgatory, which is where we seem to be residing at the moment.
I’d prefer the Sydney and Geelong approach of targeting mature players and remaining competitive over the gut-and-rebuild approach Hawthorn are now taking.

The thing is you need to target the right players.

We’ve always kept our earliest picks and English, Naughton, Richards, Smith, Weightman, JUH and Darcy is a great group to build around.

With our mature picks though, the question is who has made the call. It might be Power, it might be Bevo or it might be the footy department in general.

No issue with Duryea, Keath, Jones and Bruce really but Lobb (on current form), O’Brien and Hannan don’t look great and it’s left us with an unbalanced list.

We’ve also been in the habit of giving fringe players long term deals. Schache, Crozier and Fletcher all got reasonably long deals and spent most of their time in the VFL.

Suspect a clean out is coming and if we fall behind this season they’ll relegate fringe players and pump games into young players. Frankly don’t think Darcy would have done much worse than Lobb this year.

We greatly overrate our list. We have better top end talent than both of those sides, but its way out of balance.

They like a lot of teams have us covered by their evenness across their lists.
Bullshit they have us covered across the list 😂 were you saying that last year? Or just now that their coach has gotten some cohesion and team football out of the group.

536EB19D-414B-4BB0-925E-9707828FC84E.png
You think these 22s overall are better than ours? Absolutely bullshit.

It’s coaching and system and we’re a ******* mile behind

I was/am very disappointed in Lobb's lack of effectiveness. He seems to lope along at half pace and once he's knocked off the ball (nearly every time) there's no second effort. You can only get away with getting-over-injury for so long. The coach needs to have a hard convo with Lobby.

SLobb has always been a downhill skier. Remarkable we paid the salary and draft capital we did for him. If we were willing to pay way over odds for salary, we could have lured a much better free agent and kept our picks.

Thoughts;
1. Lobb is disappointing - particularly the apparent lack of second effort. And he got 2 hands to the ball frequently last night and couldnt hold a thing. No resin? Cant mark in the wet? I still have hopes it can work out with him.
2. Our midfield delivery to the forwards is consistently not working. Stop blindly bombing long. FFS.
3. Forward often spoiling each other - still. Slow high delivery leads to packs.
4. Forward dont appear to be leading, often running AWAY from the kicker rather than leading to him/space
5. Great to have Flea back. Love the Flea and Arty show.
6. It seems oppo teams have far fewer opportunities to score (I50's) but it can be pretty easy when they break through for that chance.
7. Is tripping OK now? 2 weeks in a row a dogs forward legged int he goals quare stopping a goal. No free. WTAF??

I thought Astro being tripped by Allir was a real turning point. Clearly we needed Bont and Timmeee on in the last quarter but that trip was a 12 point turn around, at exactly the wrong time. Last weeks trip of Hannan didnt change the outcome of the game but last nights trip did I thought. Im sure the neighbours know I think so as well ;)

I’d prefer the Sydney and Geelong approach of targeting mature players and remaining competitive over the gut-and-rebuild approach Hawthorn are now taking.

The thing is you need to target the right players.

We’ve always kept our earliest picks and English, Naughton, Richards, Smith, Weightman, JUH and Darcy is a great group to build around.

With our mature picks though, the question is who has made the call. It might be Power, it might be Bevo or it might be the footy department in general.

No issue with Duryea, Keath, Jones and Bruce really but Lobb (on current form), O’Brien and Hannan don’t look great and it’s left us with an unbalanced list.

We’ve also been in the habit of giving fringe players long term deals. Schache, Crozier and Fletcher all got reasonably long deals and spent most of their time in the VFL.

Suspect a clean out is coming and if we fall behind this season they’ll relegate fringe players and pump games into young players. Frankly don’t think Darcy would have done much worse than Lobb this year.

Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but getting Lobb was a diabolical call. I genuinely can't believe they made it. It is NOT hindsight to say that was an awful idea. No fan who has watched Lobb play very much thought it was anything but a mystery at the time. I am going to be following the fortunes of the 2nd and 3rd rounders we didn't pick because of that trade for years.

I said it at the time, and I'll say it again. The Lobb trade reminded me of the Bandy trade. Where we gave up Craig Ellis and pick 26 for a ruck support/spare parts player who was always going to be useless. And that pick 26 could have been used for Sam Mitchell, Leigh Montana, Ash Hansen, Dane Swan, Paul Medhurst, Adam Schneider, David Rodan, Andrew Welsh, Campbell Brown etc.

I would love to know who was responsible for that call. That person should not be making any recruiting calls ever. I'm assuming it's Bevo, but I just don't know.

P.S. I in no way want to suggest that by criticising our recruiting and list, I am suggesting that Ross Lyon couldn't extract a much better performance out of our team. It's not like we have a BAD list right now. I just think our list is worse than pundits were acting before the season, and is getting worse every year. (And the Lobb trade on its own will accelerate that descent.)

Last edited:
Don't want to sidetrack the thread, but getting Lobb was a diabolical call. I genuinely can't believe they made it. It is NOT hindsight to say that was an awful idea. No fan who has watched Lobb play very much thought it was anything but a mystery at the time. I am going to be following the fortunes of the 2nd and 3rd rounders we didn't pick because of that trade for years.

I said it at the time, and I'll say it again. The Lobb trade reminded me of the Bandy trade. Where we gave up Craig Ellis and pick 26 for a ruck support/spare parts player who was always going to be useless. And that pick 26 could have been used for Sam Mitchell, Leigh Montana, Ash Hansen, Dane Swan, Paul Medhurst, Adam Schneider, David Rodan, Andrew Welsh, Campbell Brown etc.

I would love to know who was responsible for that call. That person should not be making any recruiting calls ever. I'm assuming it's Bevo, but I just don't know.
You’d have to think it was Power’s call. He’s obviously done some great things but he got outplayed on both the Dunkley and Lobb deals last year.

You’d have to think it was Power’s call. He’s obviously done some great things but he got outplayed on both the Dunkley and Lobb deals last year.
Power presumably nutted out the details of the trade. But it's possible he did the best he could. I'm presuming he did the best he could with Dunkley - I just don't know. We held a very weak hand there.

But SOMEONE decided that Lobb was worth whatever price we would pay for him, and specifically thought he was worth THAT price. That might have been Power, but it might not have been.

Bullshit they have us covered across the list 😂 were you saying that last year? Or just now that their coach has gotten some cohesion and team football out of the group.

View attachment 1661965
You think these 22s overall are better than ours? Absolutely bullshit.

It’s coaching and system and we’re a ******* mile behind

Actually stark when you compare their rosters to ours, ours has so much talent that is not being utilised correctly. The lack of in game adjustments is so frustrating and the nonsensical rotations in crucial periods of the games makes it so hard to still support Beveridge.

I was/am very disappointed in Lobb's lack of effectiveness. He seems to lope along at half pace and once he's knocked off the ball (nearly every time) there's no second effort. You can only get away with getting-over-injury for so long. The coach needs to have a hard convo with Lobby.

Watching his last few games at Freo when I knew he was coming to us, he was kicking goals as a high leading forward. I think we’ve bought an apple expecting him to be an Orange . Or we’ve been sold a lemon .

How so? We may have only been drawn to play one Adelaide team in Adel....it's just s**t that every team is there the same week and we cop the home side. Is any team going to Adelaide twice to play both Port and Adel as the away team plus the Gather Round?
It was a hypothetical of what I'd considered shafted. Instead our only trip to SA is done, perfect 👌

Thoughts;
1. Lobb is disappointing - particularly the apparent lack of second effort. And he got 2 hands to the ball frequently last night and couldnt hold a thing. No resin? Cant mark in the wet? I still have hopes it can work out with him.
2. Our midfield delivery to the forwards is consistently not working. Stop blindly bombing long. FFS.
3. Forward often spoiling each other - still. Slow high delivery leads to packs.
4. Forward dont appear to be leading, often running AWAY from the kicker rather than leading to him/space
5. Great to have Flea back. Love the Flea and Arty show.
6. It seems oppo teams have far fewer opportunities to score (I50's) but it can be pretty easy when they break through for that chance.
7. Is tripping OK now? 2 weeks in a row a dogs forward legged int he goals quare stopping a goal. No free. WTAF??

I thought Astro being tripped by Allir was a real turning point. Clearly we needed Bont and Timmeee on in the last quarter but that trip was a 12 point turn around, at exactly the wrong time. Last weeks trip of Hannan didnt change the outcome of the game but last nights trip did I thought. Im sure the neighbours know I think so as well ;)
Point 4 is infuriating. Always looking for the long ball over the top requiring a 55m pinpoint pass instead of running directly at the kicker for an easy hit up.

Even when we get a clean centre clearance, a stack of space 20-40m out in the corridor and we have 2 guys standing in the square and another two in the pockets. Not a single lead straight up the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching his last few games at Freo when I knew he was coming to us, he was kicking goals as a high leading forward. I think we’ve bought an apple expecting him to be an Orange . Or we’ve been sold a lemon .
If you comapre him to the last 2 seasons, we brought an apple expecting him to be an orange.
1681612838568.png

Can understand Bont being rotated, but English needed to stay out there, he went off after Port's first goal in Q4 and was missing when they kicked the second.

English went off at Q4 10:25 and came back on at Q4 15:50.

Bontempelli went off at Q4 13:30 and came back on at Q4 20:08.

Port Adelaide kicked goals at…

Q4 10:03
Q4 12:57
Q4 16:11
Q4 25:33
This is laughable, and inexcusable.

I understand they need rotations and time on the bench but have some ******* game awareness FFS. I don’t care if they’re planned rotations, how often do we see English stroll to the bench and our back up ruck come in at absolutely crucial times. Our coaching panel are just ******* box tickers, yep at this goal English is due a spell - tick.

Read the game ffs, what other clubs sit their best players out of the action in the most crucial period of the game. And we wonder why teams kill us in short patches with momentum footy

Staggering incompetence by our coaching staff. Unbelievable to have Bont off for almost 7 minutes during the middle of the last quarter and to have English on the bench also for much of that time is indefensible. We can't blame the players for this loss.
It was the most obvious question to ask Bev at the presser why they were off and yet none of the dumb***** asked it.

This is laughable, and inexcusable.

I understand they need rotations and time on the bench but have some ******* game awareness FFS. I don’t care if they’re planned rotations, how often do we see English stroll to the bench and our back up ruck come in at absolutely crucial times. Our coaching panel are just ******* box tickers, yep at this goal English is due a spell - tick.

Read the game ffs, what other clubs sit their best players out of the action in the most crucial period of the game. And we wonder why teams kill us in short patches with momentum footy
Lobb wasn't the issue he won the taps the midfield were the issue

Lobb wasn't the issue he won the taps the midfield were the issue
I’m not saying Lobb was the issue, it’s still brain dead coaching whichever way you paint it and it happens weekly. Plus he may have won some hit outs but he has zero follow up effort at ground level. Again it’s not his fault he’s one of the best back up rucks in the league, the question is why is our back up ruck going into the ruck in the most important time of the game over the inform ruck in the game who is also a great follow up ruck at ground level which is needed in these game situations, then to also overlap this time with our best mid not out there too is crazy.

I don’t have an issue with Lobbs game last night I’m not sure what people are expecting in those conditions, I thought he made a good contest aerially every time he went near it but unless your Naughton (or apparently Marshall) you’re not going to take many in these conditions.

His set shots were disappointing though.

Lycett came off, Drew to Bont and a motivational chat from Ken to JHF all resulted in the clearances and the game going in PA’s direction. Hinkley needs to get some credit, he outcoached Bevo.

Hinkley isn’t the only coach that’s done that

I thought Astro being tripped by Allir was a real turning point. Clearly we needed Bont and Timmeee on in the last quarter but that trip was a 12 point turn around, at exactly the wrong time. Last weeks trip of Hannan didnt change the outcome of the game but last nights trip did I thought.Im sure the neighbours know I think so as well ;)
I thought it was the banshees at the bottom of the garden.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back