Autopsy Dogs beaten by Port 107-85

Remove this Banner Ad

If there was absolutely no plan, then I'd contend we would be losing by a lot more.
And I contend if there was a proper plan we would be winning a lot more with our list.

Pretty much agree with most of this except English. He was very poor last night and got completely rattled by an old school physical ruck. But he has had a great season so will be interesting to see how he responds.
Think English got rattled by the early ruck infringements that seemed fairly over zealous. Which initially made him unsure how to combat Lycett

Can someone tell me what actually happened to English? I can take him getting beaten in the ruck but he was nowhere to be seen around the ground. Can’t recall him even being in a marking contest until the final qtr.

No I disagree on his work rate. His regularly high ranking in pressure acts show that he is doing plenty when we don't have the ball, and it's evident with the eye test a lot of the time.

However I agree he needs to find ways to get the ball more often. And that it's time to regroup. He should do that in the VFL.

And yes, he'll benefit from a big pre-season in 2024. One of his two best mates at the club, Marra, had to go through that same path. It's only this year that he's looking strong enough to compete with his big-bodied opponents. So I hope Marra mentors and encourages him in this regard.

People tend to miss or undervalue the importance of offensive running. Particularly at the Bulldogs.

I remember when late in Adam Cooney's time with us that he was constantly being criticised for not running enough defensively. His critics seemingly overlooking that he was just about the only bloke in that side prepared to do the hard generally unnoticed and underappreciated offensive running, even with a dicky knee. The reason offensive running is so hard is that it is often completely unrewarded.

I don't think a handful of pressure acts is evidence that Arty is working anywhere near hard enough. Had he been running his guts out, continually trying to get to the right spots to have a positive offensive impact and still been able to perform some pressure acts, then he might be working hard enough.

The weird thing is that Jamarra was forced to play pretty much a full season in the VFL to "earn" his spot, compared to the much inferior O'Donnel
What was even more confusing is that JUH strung together some bog average games directly before his call up???

I was calling for his promotion nevertheless given the garbage conditions and skills he was subjected to in the 2s.

What was even more confusing is that JUH strung together some bog average games directly before his call up???

I was calling for his promotion nevertheless given the garbage conditions and skills he was subjected to in the 2s.
Yes a case could be made. But it could be made either way.

Marra was a skinny stripling back then. By contrast O'Donnell is a solid lad already and much less likely to get smashed by the big bodied opposition in the seniors.

Marra complained about lack of senior opportunity at the time but IIRC he later agreed it had been better for his development.

So I don't think Bevo got it far wrong with Marra. He has overplayed O'Donnell though. JOD hasn't come on as quickly as Bevo might have expected. And as so many have repeatedly said his continued selection throws out the balance of the side. JOD isn't doing enough good things to compensate for that imbalance.

We are insipid. I haven’t been this disillusioned since 2013-14. We have more holes in this list than an old pair of stockings. No game plan, no energy, no synergy. Vapid, uninspired, weak application across the entire ground.

What makes this worse is that we don't suck. We're just plain boring and mediocre.
I'd rather us suck so we get the draft picks and possibly things could change.

Look at Hawthorn today, you can see the signs. It's exciting. Forgive losses, go nuts at the wins. We're in the throw the remote at the TV in a rage phase whether we win or lose.

I thought it was a big game for West last night, a chance to cement a spot for a while, in a period of poor depth.

Just cant master the basics of the AFL game. Still making 'junior' mistakes. its not looking good for him

There’s plenty to make you sick about the last few games but one thing I’m really struggling with is seeing the likes of Dale try switch the ball through Bruce, Gardner, JOD when there is nobody on the open side of the ground AND your putting the footy in the hands of a considerably worse kick.
There was one early where Dale switched to Bruce deep inside 50. He then looked to a 2v1 at the flank, and I said to my mate next to me “watch this go out on the full”. He kicked, and it bounced right next to the line and went out, so I wasn’t far off. It’s just so predictable

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at Hawthorn today, you can see the signs. It's exciting. Forgive losses, go nuts at the wins. We're in the throw the remote at the TV in a rage phase whether we win or lose.

Agree.

It’s because (imo at least) our coach and footy department aren’t getting the most out of the list. Most AFL coaches are doing a decent job with what they have, I’d argue Bevo and Voss are the ones who have potential top four teams who aren’t getting it done for whatever reason.

A lot of people are down on our list, and I agree it’s not the best in the comp - but it’s one of the better ones. We have a top group of 6-8 players that are as good as basically anyone else, with the possible exception of Melbourne. The bottom 6-10 of our 22 in any one week isn’t great, but nobody has 22 stars out there - system makes them better, as does consistent team selection and structure alongside playing them in their optimal positions.

Collingwood are the best team in the comp and the dees are probably one of the top four. Look at their bottom six players on Monday and tell me how well they’d play in Bevo’s system being played probably out of position.

After finding our form with a good run of wins (albeit not many of them very convincing), we’ve been shown in the last few weeks what well-drilled teams with a clear gameplan who adjust to their opponents strengths can do.

There’s no way of proving it obviously, but I remain convinced that this list is capable of contending for a flag right now if they were put in a better position to succeed through team selection and coaching in the defensive and forward thirds of the ground. Unfortunately it looks like we’ll never know.

Unless I am missing it, on the kick outs why not go long and look for English???

and what is it having Daniel standing the mark on a goal shot???
Mixing up would definitely be beneficial as I can only remember once we went end to end whereas going short every time has resulted in turnovers in poor field position has cost us goals on numerous occasions, 5 against Geelong alone

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

As always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 70 / 85 (+15)
PA: 96 / 107 (+11)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: -26 / -22 (+4)

Centre Bounce Attendance
27 - Bontempelli, English, Treloar
25 - Liberatore
14 - B. Smith
5 - Lobb
2 - Daniel
1 - Macrae

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
70 - English (20 / 9 / 2)
20 - Lobb (7 / 2 / 0)
3 - Naughton (0 / 0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 11
PA: 13

English v Lycett (55 contests)
Hitouts: 11 / 35
To Advantage: 5 / 9
Clearances: 25 / 21
Score: 4.2 (26) / 4.1 (25)

English v Finlayson (7 contests)
Hitouts: 5 / 0
To Advantage: 2 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 2
Score: 1.0 (6) / 1.0 (6)

Lobb v Lycett (9 contests)
Hitouts: 3 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 1
Clearances: 5 / 1
Score: 0.0 (0) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 49

PA: 33

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 47 / 37
PA: 31 / 27

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 61%
PA: 58%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 71%
PA: 82%

Smothers
WB: 9

PA: 11

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 61%
PA: 63%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 73%
PA: 77%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 7
PA: 6

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 0
PA: 7

Score Launches
3 - Duryea, English, Treloar
2 - Liberatore, Lobb
1 - Bontempelli, Daniel, Keath, Macrae, Ugle-Hagen, West, Williams

Targets Inside 50 (Score % From Those Targets)

16 - No target/rushed
12 - Ugle-Hagen (42%)
5 - Lobb (20%)
4 - Naughton (50%)
4 - Weightman (50%)
3 - Bontempelli (33%)
1 - Daniel (100%)
1 - English (100%)
1 - Liberatore (100%)
1 - Macrae (100%)
1 - B. Smith (0%)

Inside 50 Retention
WB: 45%

PA: 61%

Kicks Inside 50 - Minimum 3 (Retention Rate)
6 - Liberatore (17%)
4 - Keath (25%)
4 - Macrae (50%)
4 - Williams (50%)
3 - Bontempelli (100%)
3 - Daniel (67%)
3 - B. Smith (33%)
3 - Treloar (33%)
3 - Ugle-Hagen (33%)
3 - Weightman (33%)

Shots At Goal
WB: 22 (59%)
PA: 28 (57%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Port Adelaide)
Set Shot: 10.5 / 8.5
Snap: 3.1 / 5.0
On Run: 0.1 / 2.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 1.1

0M-15M: 0.0 / 3.1
15M-30M: 6.1 / 7.1
31M-40M: 3.3 / 3.2
41M-50M: 4.2 / 3.2
51M+: 0.1 / 0.1

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 3.0 / 2.1
Scores In Time-On: 3.4/ 6.5
Scores Sourced From D50: 1.1 / 3.1

Score Assists
3 - Lobb, Macrae
2 - Ugle-Hagen
1 - Bontempelli, Daniel, B. Smith, Treloar, Vandermeer, Weightman, West, Williams

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 22
PA: 26

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 5

PA: 8

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 21
PA: 17

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 44

PA: 36

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 14
PA: 9

Unforced Turnovers By Player
2 - Keath, West
1 - Bruce, Lobb, O’Donnell, Naughton, Treloar, Ugle-Hagen

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 3

PA: 7

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Bontempelli, English, A. Jones*, Liberatore, Lobb, O’Donnell, B. Smith, Ugle-Hagen, Weightman

*A. Jones’ turnover was from a free kick.

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
139 - Liberatore
125 - Daniel
124 - Bontempelli
122 - Treloar
119 - Macrae
109 - Williams
97 - English
95 - B. Smith
89 - Dale
86 - Weightman
81 - Ugle-Hagen
81 - Vandermeer
70 - Lobb
64 - Keath
60 - Duryea
51 - L. Jones
43 - West
33 - Bruce
32 - Naughton
18 - A. Jones
13 - O’Donnell
11 - Baker

AFL Player Rating Points
19.5 - Treloar
19.3 - Liberatore
17.2 - Bontempelli
14.5 - Ugle-Hagen
13.7 - B. Smith
13.3 - Williams
13.2 - Weightman
12.3 - English
11.5 - Daniel
11.1 - Keath
11.1 - Dale
9.8 - L. Jones
8.9 - Naughton
8.8 - Macrae
8.0 - West
7.7 - Duryea
6.5 - Vandermeer
5.5 - Lobb
2.0 - A. Jones
0.5 - Scott
0.3 - Bruce
-1.0 - O’Donnell
-1.0 - Baker

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 57%
PA: 43%

Q2
WB: 47%
PA: 53%

Q3
WB: 37%
PA: 63%

Q4
WB: 54%
PA: 46%

Match
WB: 49%
PA: 51%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 174 (Below Average)
PA: 170 (Below Average)

Q2
WB: 195 (Above Average)
PA: 185 (Average)

Q3
WB: 187 (Average)
PA: 179 (Below Average)

Q4
WB: 208 (Elite)
PA: 192 (Above Average)

Match
WB: 191 (Above Average)
PA: 182 (Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
49 - Liberatore
47 - Macrae
45 - Bontempelli
41 - Vandermeer
41 - A. Jones
39 - Williams
38 - Treloar
31 - B. Smith
29 - Daniel
28 - Duryea
27 - West
23 - English
19 - Keath
19 - Dale
18 - Weightman
17 - Bruce
15 - Scott
14 - L. Jones
12 - Lobb
11 - Naughton
9 - Ugle-Hagen
6 - O’Donnell
4 - Baker

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1708509

Score Sources

Scores From Stoppages: 6.3 / 6.3
Scores From Turnovers: 7.3 / 9.8
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.1 / 1.0
another stellar sub, Baker scoring negative rating points
7 defensive contested marks by port, to zero. i reckon Lobb was "involved" in most of those contests

There was one early where Dale switched to Bruce deep inside 50. He then looked to a 2v1 at the flank, and I said to my mate next to me “watch this go out on the full”. He kicked, and it bounced right next to the line and went out, so I wasn’t far off. It’s just so predictable

That was bad. Lobb later in the game might have been even worse, when we had about four players streaming forward and only one Port player in the vicinity and Lobb then picked him out perfectly.

That might have been when my soul left my body, I’m not sure. There were quite a few things that beggared belief.

Agree.

It’s because (imo at least) our coach and footy department aren’t getting the most out of the list. Most AFL coaches are doing a decent job with what they have, I’d argue Bevo and Voss are the ones who have potential top four teams who aren’t getting it done for whatever reason.

A lot of people are down on our list, and I agree it’s not the best in the comp - but it’s one of the better ones. We have a top group of 6-8 players that are as good as basically anyone else, with the possible exception of Melbourne. The bottom 6-10 of our 22 in any one week isn’t great, but nobody has 22 stars out there - system makes them better, as does consistent team selection and structure alongside playing them in their optimal positions.

Collingwood are the best team in the comp and the dees are probably one of the top four. Look at their bottom six players on Monday and tell me how well they’d play in Bevo’s system being played probably out of position.

After finding our form with a good run of wins (albeit not many of them very convincing), we’ve been shown in the last few weeks what well-drilled teams with a clear gameplan who adjust to their opponents strengths can do.

There’s no way of proving it obviously, but I remain convinced that this list is capable of contending for a flag right now if they were put in a better position to succeed through team selection and coaching in the defensive and forward thirds of the ground. Unfortunately it looks like we’ll never know.

Would love to know how we would perform if we were coached by McRae or Hardwick - even if it was just for one day.

another stellar sub, Baker scoring negative rating points
7 defensive contested marks by port, to zero. i reckon Lobb was "involved" in most of those contests
Lobb is terrible in the contest so probably no surprise he’s struggling for us in our mess. He had a good tally for Freo last year cos he’s a smart forward and Freo had really strong transition last year to find him in space.

With two smart forwards in Marra & Lobb, Marra blistering on the lead and a gun mark/focal point like Naughty we really should have a brilliant forward line who all compliment each other.

They should be generating a heap of space and opportunities for each other by spreading the defence and all having multiple scoring weapons and each requiring plenty of attention. The fact we can’t get anything resembling a coherent forward line is just pathetic to be honest and not acceptable.

Brendan McCartney taught us how to be so poorly managed that players would want to leave.

Contested ball was our strength because we had some of the hardest players in the competition.
Bs, his one mantra when he walked in the door was contested ball. He turned us into contested ball beasts and since then we’ve become so weak, we can’t even stick most tackles

* me, just watched Bevo’s brief. Should he even be around the players if he’s that unwell? He looks and sounds awful.

I watch that and my first reaction is 'Can we stop making excuses for poor decision making, poor skills and poor coaching please?' Much of that side have played a lot of football so stop making excuses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back