Autopsy Eagles 92 defeat Dogs 85

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway it worries me that if someone comes in who isn't all beads, incence and karmic chanting the boys are so far mollycoddled they won't respond....

(Way ahead of myself, I know)

When Rocket took his first team meeting he found a lot of players were staring at the ground or drifting off.

He told them that at every meeting he wanted eyes fixed on him. "Eyes up!"

Setting the tone early. The players survived . Even Minson.

For those interested, here is how we stacked up against the rest in various KPIs both before and after the 2021 GF, not surprisingly the most significant dropoff has been ball use forward of centre...

2019-2021 vs. 2022-2023 (H&A Team Rankings)
2019-21 vs 2022-23.png

And here is the dropoff over the last two weeks, obviously a smaller sample size but the dropoffs are significant across the board but in particular handball efficiency which is something we have always prided ourselves on in the Bevo year is now non-existent.

R1 2023-R21 2023 vs. R22 2023-R23 2023 (H&A Team Rankings)
R1-21 vs R22-23.png

"Expectatons from the supporters...!"

How dare we expect that a team with finals on the line would expect we'd beat the bottom team, who had won 2 games out of 21, has a percentage of 50.6, lost the week before to Freo by 101, also lost this year in other games by 108, 116, and 171(!)????

Oh yeah, they ran Essendon close 2 weeks ago - who then lost to GWS by 126!!

FFS, I couldn't listen after that.

Supporter EXPECTATIONS were a factor in us losing to West Coast!

For goodness' sake man, roll out some other BS, or maybe the club don't publish that.

Sorry, I've been on the fence even up to this morning - but after the post-match presser, he needs to go. Tbh I'm worried he's lost his grip on reality.

Tell us again Bevo how reporters don't understand the game. Maybe they shouldn't question you at all post-game, win or lose?

Sorry, I've just gone full dark side. Delusional.

Hoping I don't look like an arse-hole here if it turns out Bevo has been battling personal issues, but it's hard to know WTF is happening atm - getting emotional over Smith's departure, questioning the qualities of some actual decent journos, this seems like a man under pressure, but I hope he's actually OK - now, and if dramatic things occur in coming days and weeks. I want what's best for the club, but I don't want to disregard people's emotional well being.
I'm a bit conflicted tbh. Which pretty much sums up 55+ years of following this club.

Hoping I don't look like an arse-hole here if it turns out Bevo has been battling personal issues, but it's hard to know WTF is happening atm - getting emotional over Smith's departure, questioning the qualities of some actual decent journos, this seems like a man under pressure, but I hope he's actually OK - now, and if dramatic things occur in coming days and weeks. I want what's best for the club, but I don't want to disregard people's emotional well being.
I'm a bit conflicted tbh. Which pretty much sums up 55+ years of following this club.
Yes. I'm damaged too. PBSD.

I'll mention this only because it's relevant to your question, I saw it yesterday. It's probably because he broke his hand smashing the whiteboard, but there was no ring on the finger. So yes, I hope ppl are OK too.

Tom Boyd said I was an idiot for questioning why Bont had to front the media.
Sad Broken Heart GIF by MOODMAN

Decent journos?

Is that an oxymoron, a paradox, or both?

Do we make anything of the fact that both Chris Grant and the Bont have backed Bevo publicly today?

I mean I am firmly in the camp of getting rid of Bevo and the whole coaching panel and starting again, but it appears the club are firmly in the Bevo stays no matter what camp.

Can’t see it changing I don’t think, although maybe they see what happens to the membership numbers next year and realise it’s costing too much to continue with him.

Not every ******* year, remember the squeals from Essendon who had not played their for 14 years I think, us every year.
Richmond don’t play there often either.
Yes yes I know. I've posted stats on this before.

It's a bit off topic for this thread but here's part of what I posted lasted year.
[2020 was the heavily covid affected year with games having to be rescheduled all over the place. This table is based on how the fixture was published prior to covid, i.e. what the AFL's original intention was]
1692618171120.png
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies if it takes a little bit of study to work out what this table is saying.
Here's the guts of it:
  • We have been scheduled at KP nine times out of 11 years (10 out of 12 if you count 2023). If it was perfectly balanced for all clubs we would have played them away only 7 times over that period.
  • Meanwhile over that period Carlton have been scheduled there twice, Essendon once and Richmond twice. Collingwood not at all.
  • Over those 11 years:
    • Carlton has played Geelong in 5 away games and 3 of those have been at Docklands (their home ground at the time).
    • Essendon has played Geelong in 6 away games and 5 of those have been at its home ground, the MCG.
    • Richmond has played Geelong in 6 away games and 4 of those have been at its home ground, the MCG.
    • Collingwood has played Geelong in only 3 away games and they have ALL been at their home ground, the MCG.
  • In games between the WB and Geelong over 11 years we have played 9 times at KP and only 6 times at Docklands.
  • In games between Geelong and all of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond combined they have played 5 times at KP and 46 times at either MCG or Docklands!
  • On average over 11 years you should have double-ups against any particular side (playing a side twice in one H&A season) about 3.25 times. We've had Geelong four times. Those other four clubs have only had Geelong 7 times (should be 13).

It's worse if you go back further. Collingwood last played there in 1999. Carlton didn't play there from 1998 to 2017. Essendon didn't play there from 1993 to 2020. Richmond by contrast have had to play there a whole 8 times this century. They must be ropeable! Hawthorn have played there only three times this century.

Meanwhile we've been scheduled there 14 times this century. Other smaller clubs like North (18 times this century), Melbourne (19 times) and St Kilda (11 times) suffer the KP/Geelong syndrome roughly as much as we do. In other words, we four clubs take the difficult games thus subsidising the cushy run that those other five Melbourne clubs are getting. :mad:

Vive l'égalité! :france:

Last edited:
Decent journos?

Is that an oxymoron, a paradox, or both?

The guy asking the questions at the post-match. Not trying to 'win' against Bevo, just asking reasonable questions I thought. As few as there are, actual footy journos exist - they just don't garner the clicks of most of the f-wits employed at 9 who desperately want to be seen as more than muck-rakers (FAIL), or the mostly bunch of bozos referred to as "commentators" at 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit off topic for this thread but here's part of what I posted lasted year.
[2020 was the heavily covid affected year with games having to be rescheduled all over the place. This table is based on how the fixture was published prior to covid, i.e. what the AFL's original intention was]
View attachment 1781627
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apologies if it takes a little bit of study to work out what this table is saying.
Here's the guts of it:
  • We have been scheduled at KP nine times out of 11 years (10 out of 12 if you count 2023). If it was perfectly balanced for all clubs we would have played them away only 7 times over that period.
  • Meanwhile over that period Carlton have been scheduled there twice, Essendon once and Richmond twice. Collingwood not at all.
  • Over those 11 years:
    • Carlton has played Geelong in 5 away games and 3 of those have been at Docklands (their home ground at the time).
    • Essendon has played Geelong in 6 away games and 5 of those have been at its home ground, the MCG.
    • Richmond has played Geelong in 6 away games and 4 of those have been at its home ground, the MCG.
    • Collingwood has played Geelong in only 3 away games and they have ALL been at their home ground, the MCG.
  • In games between the WB and Geelong over 11 years we have played 9 times at KP and only 6 times at Docklands.
  • In games between Geelong and all of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond combined they have played 5 times at KP and 46 times at either MCG or Docklands!
  • On average over 11 years you should have double-ups against any particular side (playing a side twice in one H&A season) about 3.25 times. We've had Geelong four times. Those other four clubs have only had Geelong 7 times (should be 13).

It's worse if you go back further. Collingwood last played there in 1999. Carlton didn't play there from 1998 to 2017. Essendon didn't play there from 1993 to 2020. Richmond by contrast have had to play there a whole 8 times this century. They must be ropeable! Hawthorn have played there only three times this century.

Meanwhile we've been scheduled there 14 times this century. Other smaller clubs like North (18 times this century), Melbourne (19 times) and St Kilda (11 times) suffer the KP/Geelong syndrome roughly as much as we do. In other words, we four clubs take the difficult games thus subsidising the cushy run that those other five Melbourne clubs are getting. :mad:

Then we get slammed for not making top four…

Do we make anything of the fact that both Chris Grant and the Bont have backed Bevo publicly today?

I mean I am firmly in the camp of getting rid of Bevo and the whole coaching panel and starting again, but it appears the club are firmly in the Bevo stays no matter what camp.

Can’t see it changing I don’t think, although maybe they see what happens to the membership numbers next year and realise it’s costing too much to continue with him.
I thought Bont was excellent in that presser .. and the cavorting Labradors in the background was a delightful touch.

How would I describe Bont's demeanour? He appeared at ease with a calmness that comes with decision, clarity or resolution. The source of that is yet to be revealed but I thought he was also genuinely supportive of Bevo.

I didn't count how many times he used the word consistency ... but it was a lot. Referred to players having shown they can play the game but not with consistency. Suggested in response to his Brownlow chances that young players are more focused on themselves whereas grey haired players (like himself) are more interested in team success and want to end a game knowing they couldn't have done anymore ... for the team.

I get the feeling there are either some very immature and/or very selfish younger players getting regular games who are just not team focused and this has been a significant factor in our year.

The West Coast game may well have decided Bevo's future but I wonder if it didn't in fact also expose the true character of a few players. That and the decisions that will now inevitably be made on those players may also be a reason that Bont looked at ease.

View attachment 1781627
Here's the guts of it:
  • Over those 11 years:

Interstate clubs and small vic clubs cop a pineapple out of the afl.

If what you say is true, then Bevo should have followed the lead of Alister Clarkson and taken a few months out of the game to sort his life and himself out. The stakes are too high to carry a coach who is not 100% focussed and on top of his game.

So you have finally realised it’s not VIC biais, it’s big club bias.
Said it many times.

Saints would likely have another flag - but they met collingwood TWICE on pies home deck.

2016 was something unlikely to ever happen again- absolute miracle flag.

I think it’s worth pointing out re: the history at Geelong statement, that Bev says “we’ve inherited it”. Players have joined the club at different stages since we last won there and it’s true that they inherit the pressure of expectation that comes with the legacy of losses they weren’t personally involved in.

Plenty of things to pot Bevo for but this isn’t one.

Careful. Last time I questioned Bevo's stability some random poster came out of nowhere and started abusing me.

I think it's pretty clear he's going through something, whether that be in his personal life or just the grind/pressure of the job (it's almost inevitable that it gets every coach at some point). He doesn't seem to be coping as well as he has in the past.

Sometimes people need to be saved from themselves, but I wouldn't back in our current leadership to recognise this.

Tom Boyd said I was an idiot for questioning why Bont had to front the media.
Sad Broken Heart GIF by MOODMAN
I think this is where things are a little disjointed between journalists, past players and fans. As fans I suppose our issues, well mine, are more to do with the Board, ceo and football administration. It's weak to push out the bont to front the media. The governance of a football club goes like this players>Football Admin>CEO>Board>Members......I want the board to come out and tell us that they will do a review etc. It was weak of the club to do what it did. Given that emotions have now run high it was incumbent on the chair to say something. Remember they work for the members of the club.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back