Autopsy Swans defeat Dogs (78 v 76)

Remove this Banner Ad

Our spread of goals is terrible, as is our accuracy

Most top teams have ten or more players kicking ten or more goals. We have seven. A Scott is one of those on ten goals and he's dried up. Baker, Treloar, MacRae , Daniel and Smith have combined for around 30 goals all year.

The Daicos brothers have matched that on their own.

We don't kick enough goals from midfield. Handball handball kick to contest. No-one willing or able to run on and have a shot. It's 2017 all over again.

Marra is the only player in the comp to have 20 goals + but more behinds. He's sh1tting that stat in, 23.29. Harry MacKay is on 26.23 so he'll have to kick more behinds if he wants to catch Marra.

English has kicked 9.4 with very limited opportunities. Makes you wonder what he'd be if a coach played him as a ruck/forward instead of Mr Jack of all Trades.

Seen the footage, it’s laughable. No idea how they came up with 2 weeks for it either. Simply cannot watch that incident, then watch Pickett’s missile hit on Smith and say they are anywhere near equal for the same punishment.

Worst part is the umpire running towards them with the play did nothing, which was basically the theme of the night anyway
Should've been a down field free kick, maybe a fine at most.

Midfielders need a few more strings than just speed and kicking. Richards and Dale should be cruising past stoppages in our back half all the time from their nominal positions - I was delighted to see Dale doing so in the first 10 minutes against the swans, but I cant remember seeing again too much after that as we reverted to our stilted ball movement for the rest of the game.

In the interests of saying something positive, I thought vander is warming to his position - 4 score involvements from 13 touches last night. Compare to richards (whose defensive work I love) who got 2 SI from 28 touches and Dale who got 1 from his 22.

3 score involvements from those two underscores the issues we have with ball movement from the back half - whether its a disconnect between the defenders and the midfield or what, or us colletively allowing them to be dragged away from contests by their oppoennts, I dont know.
Think the loss of JJ has had a big impact on Dale as it has allowed teams to lock down tighter on him. Without the damaging run of JJ to split the forwards defensive intent they can put more time into Dale limiting his output.

It annoys me that everytime we lose it's always Bevo's fault. The players have to put their hands up to how poorly they are playing.

I'm sure he's not telling them to kick the ball straight back to the opposition as happened several times late in the last quarter.

This is an extremely simplistic take, and no one is laying all the blame on the coach. Just read any match day thread. But what you've highlighted is a by-product of the game plan - which originates with the coach. The skill execution is absolutely on the players - they're equally culpable.

What are you doing to our club Beveridge? How can we go from top 2 less than two years ago, to this garbage? Chris Grant, grow some *ing balls and sack him
We have an inherent small club mentality. It emanates through the club to the fans. No criticism can be voiced and don't we love that plucky almost culture. We have a solid spine and some generational talent. Sadly our mentality is to keep doing the same and expect a different result. Club needs a full review from top to bottom.

We have an inherent small club mentality. It emanates through the club to the fans. No criticism can be voiced and don't we love that plucky almost culture. We have a solid spine and some generational talent. Sadly our mentality is to keep doing the same and expect a different result. Club needs a full review from top to bottom.
Nah, only that if we accept it.

Be respectful but call out what is not working. We are not that far away just need to change our gameplan to reflect modern football more for longer

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably Vandemeers best game for the year
He was good, his contest with Papley which ended up being the match winning goal was very poor, regulation spoil which he completely fluffed. But if we want him to succeed there we need to persist.

Our spread of goals is terrible, as is our accuracy

Most top teams have ten or more players kicking ten or more goals. We have seven. A Scott is one of those on ten goals and he's dried up. Baker, Treloar, MacRae , Daniel and Smith have combined for around 30 goals all year.

The Daicos brothers have matched that on their own.

We don't kick enough goals from midfield. Handball handball kick to contest. No-one willing or able to run on and have a shot. It's 2017 all over again.

Marra is the only player in the comp to have 20 goals + but more behinds. He's sh1tting that stat in, 23.29. Harry MacKay is on 26.23 so he'll have to kick more behinds if he wants to catch Marra.

English has kicked 9.4 with very limited opportunities. Makes you wonder what he'd be if a coach played him as a ruck/forward instead of Mr Jack of all Trades.
Think it’s been well reported that English himself has no interest playing forward.

How entitled are you

Some of us suffered through absolute mediocrity and heartbreak for almost 50 years, while I think we can do better, I’ll take being a club that plays finals almost every year over the s**t we used to dish up even if it means losing GF by 70pts. Shuffle off and count how many GFs Collingwood have lost

I don’t think it’s entitled to want your team to win premierships mate that’s kinda the whole point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s the constant leaking of easy goals out the back that annoys me.

This week was worse as we were 5 points up with 4 minutes to play. Surely an extra or two behind the ball was warranted? Why does it keep happening?

When was the last time we did it to someone else?
Defensively, this was my biggest worry from the game.

Blind Freddy can see why we leak goals out the back on turnover as our defence presses up so high when it’s in our half.

When we are up and about, I always treated that as a take the good with the bad type of thing. You had to.

We leaked so many goals in 2015 & 2016 this way, but that press created more scores our way and you could see our players fight then, i.e. trying to get it back quickly as they were pissed off in their turnover.

Inadvertently, stuff like that made the players sort out s**t themselves on the field. Those things worked with the likes of Murphy, Boyd, Moz, Picken, i.e. very driven people that were also accountable.

I wouldn’t go as far as saying this group is soft, so but there is a certain preciousness in that regard. Our players and coaches are nowhere near as honest with themselves now as they were then.

Sticking with that plan is a part of our current problems as it’s very dated now and doesn’t suit the personnel we have. A clear issue, albeit a separate one to this.

The last few goals from Sydney started from kick-marks in their back half, so a slow transition.

Given that lead up, I have no idea how mud guts Papley and a few of his mates got so clear 2-3 times in their forward 50m. It defies any logic.

It’s as if our defence is zoning off for 10 metre miss kicks.

Incompetence all round on our end.

Last edited:
If we had have won last night, no one would be looking to blame Bevo.

We get slaughtered by the umpires and lose two players early which were key elements of bad luck that cost us the game. Yet people go looking for Bevo's blood. It makes me sick.

There's absolutely no guarantee a different coach will improve this team. It's actually more likely we'll go backwards. The odds of us finding a coach better than Bevo would be less than 25%. It's a sad reality, but it's a fact.
well said - but be careful… the natives want blood and won’t like a sensible, level headed response like this.

add 97/98/99 too.
Nah, that 90’s group was a who’s who of battlers.

Sure, we had handful of guns, but there were a heap of average players on those lists.

For that short period, Wallace was simply outsmarting a lot of the old fossils coaching at other clubs. Add to that Chris Grant and 1-2 others peaking.

The late 2000’s list had a lot of holes. Maybe more brilliance than the current lot, but there was zero key fwds before Hall and Lake held that backline together for the most part.

Our current list is a lot more balanced than both of those eras.

Our best 22 is by far the most talented we have had since the 70’s and we stuffed that up
I think having Bont totally skews our perception of how talented our list is. Take the AFL’s best player out of our team and see how the list stack’s up then. I wonder if we’d be better off with Bont’s talent spread over 2 or 3 players rather then just him?

I think having Bont totally skews our perception of how talented our list is. Take the AFL’s best player out of our team and see how the list stack’s up then. I wonder if we’d be better off with Bont’s talent spread over 2 or 3 players rather then just him?

Bont
Naugton
Treloar
English
Richards
McCrae
Bailey Smith (Bevo is using him appalling)
Libba
Liam Jones (When healthy)
JUH
Weightman
Caleb Daniel and Bailey Dale (To an extent)

Look at the talent here and tell me we overrate our roster. You’re never going to have a roster with 22 AA players. It’s the coaches job to get the most out of it. I’m not saying we have the best roster but * we got a pretty good one. Definitely a roster that should be fighting for Top 4 at minimum.

Last edited:
Bont
Naugton
Treloar
English
Richards
McCrae
Libba
JUH
Weightman

Look at the talent here and tell me we overrate our roster. You’re never going to have a roster with 22 AA players. It’s the coaches job to get the most out of it. I’m not saying we have the best roster but * we got a pretty good one
Careful. Like old mate said , the natives won't like sensible, level headed replies like this one.

Bont
Naugton
Treloar
English
Richards
McCrae
Libba
JUH
Weightman

Look at the talent here and tell me we overrate our roster. You’re never going to have a roster with 22 AA players. It’s the coaches job to get the most out of it. I’m not saying we have the best roster but * we got a pretty good one. Definitely a roster that should be fighting for Top 4 at minimum.
Yeah if 13 players, 4 A graders all play well and are fit at the same time and can sustain it for four quarters, sure

Yeah if 13 players, 4 A graders all play well and are fit at the same time and can sustain it for four quarters, sure

That’s what you have a good system for… The system should be able to get the most out of the players and the coach should be able to adapt to what the other team are doing.

AFL is increasingly becoming a game of monument and swings - we are one of the worst teams at giving up these swings and having no plan to react. Other teams stem the flow, with us it’s like a full on waterfall when a team gets a bit of momentum.

If you can be bothered. Simply line up all our lines on paper and compare them to the rest of the top 8.

On paper we've got more talent than most.

For mine Naughton, JUH, Weightman even Lobb walk into Collingwoods foward line.
English, Bont, Libba, Macrae, Daniel and Treloar walk into the midfield.
Richards, a fit Jones and Dale walk into their backline.
That's 13 players. And some like JJ and an in form Smith could be argued for as well.

That's a fair amount of talent.

If you can be bothered. Simply line up all our lines on paper and compare them to the rest of the top 8.

On paper we've got more talent than most.

For mine Naughton, JUH, Weightman even Lobb walk into Collingwoods foward line.
English, Bont, Libba, Macrae, Daniel and Treloar walk into the midfield.
Richards, a fit Jones and Dale walk into their backline.
That's 13 players. And some like JJ and an in form Smith could be argued for as well.

That's a fair amount of talent.
Obviously you rate some of our players more highly than most in the game.

Given Tom Mitchell cannot get a game in Collingwood 's midfield who are all of those you nominate replacing?

Who in their backline are the players you nominate replacing?

Three forwards would agree with but Lobb???

Obviously you rate some of our players more highly than most in the game.

Given Tom Mitchell cannot get a game in Collingwood 's midfield who are all of those you nominate replacing?

Who in their backline are the players you nominate replacing?

Three forwards would agree with but Lobb???

Lobb is better than Cox

I reckon only the Daicos boys and DeGoey would get a gig in our midfield.

I reckon Moore, Howe and Maynard. Maybe Quanor ( Not sure about the spelling) walk into our backline. That's it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back