Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

That is definitley not rule number 1 for AFL or even local footy...

Amazing how far in denial so much of our fanbase is in over an absolute sub-par coach with a gamestyle so out of touch with the rest of competition.
I am curious, how far is too much until you may admit Bevo is a contributing factor to our below-standard performances year in year out with this list?

The fact you have the utter nerve to call other posters fried when recently you tried to state that top four finishes don't mean s**t in another thread is just laughable, get a grip.
He clearly doesn’t have a clue mate, like our mastermind head coach.

How many times has English being no.1 ruck cost us finals and games last few years? He faded again on the weekend, but it wasn’t entirely his fault as our 2nd ruck was sent to FB. We were the last team to thrash Collingwood by 48 points mid last year. Guess who was in the ruck that night????? Jordon Sweet. We kicked the first 6 goals in 15 mins of football where Sweet tapped the ball down our mids throats in a blistering display of clearance dominance. A smart coach would’ve realized that when we played Collingwood a few weeks ago, we had to win the midfield to win the game. If we played Sweet in that game and English forward, I believe we would’ve won that game.

But of course, our mastermind coach doesn’t rate Sweet, or West or Cleary, yet he is fully prepared to keep a revolving door of hacks like Hannan, McComb, McNeil, Gardner, Scott etc

In 2021, when we had Martin no.1 ruck and English forward, where did we finish???? In the Grand Final. So why doesn’t he put English in the forward line and Sweet in the ruck a la 2021? We all know Sweet is no good around the ground, but that’s what English is for. Instead of stuffing around with Lobb every week, try Sweet and English ffs. At least once

That is definitley not rule number 1 for AFL or even local footy...

Amazing how far in denial so much of our fanbase is in over an absolute sub-par coach with a gamestyle so out of touch with the rest of competition.
I am curious, how far is too much until you may admit Bevo is a contributing factor to our below-standard performances year in year out with this list?

The fact you have the utter nerve to call other posters fried when recently you tried to state that top four finishes don't mean s**t in another thread is just laughable, get a grip.

Not sure what league you play in, but it’s a concern if they aren’t teaching you to find a target inside 50 before opting to go long to a 50/50 contest where the opposition has just as much chance of winning the ball as you do.

Of course teams strive to make top 4 each season. To lose the plot though after the fact, after we’ve won a flag and made 2 GF’s because we didn’t make the top 4 in those seasons is as stupid as it gets.

I’m no different to anyone else In regards to how disappointing our performances have been this year and I do lay blame on the coaches. I’ve said it multiple times. I just don’t subscribe to the stupidity of some that seem to think it’s down to apparently having no plan, or certain player selections or the apparent lack of game day moves.

You can have the greatest game plan in the comp, but if you’re struggling to get the message across and can’t get the players to execute and struggle to motivate them, then it isn’t worth s**t. This is where I think Bevo is struggling. Saturdays game the perfect example. By early in the 3rd we’d played GWS off the park in most areas and if not for inaccuracy we’d have been 8-9 goals up. This is against one of the in form teams in the comp going for their 7th win in the trot. How the f**k do we get to that position with the coaching group being poor tactically and not knowing what they’re doing? It’s utter lunacy to suggest our poor football is mainly down to tactical issues.

We’ve got major issues with the mental strength of our team and inability of our coaches to get them to stay in games for longer periods than they currently do. The drop off in 2nd half on Saturday shows exactly that. This is by far a bigger issue than 90% of the dribble suggestions that get discussed in here.

Last edited:

It would be indefensible for Cleary to be dropped for Ed instead of Duryea.
We need to start investing in the younger players. Duryea is cooked he just doesn't have the wheels any longer, no shame in that father time eventually. Time to stop fighting the tide and keep Cleary in and Duryea to go out

Your logic is that, if the players make mistakes, it’s because our coach hasn’t implemented a plan not too?

Some of you are seriously fried.

Have you given any thought to the fact the players sometimes don’t do what’s expected?

I actually can’t believe we’re even having this discussion.
If it happens occasionally I'd agree with you. But under pressure it happens too often.
The players are professional full time footballers. Led by a full time coach with full time assistant coaches. This isn't some bush league where players train once a week.

If it's the players then it's on the coaches to sort them out.

I agree with you, some of us are seriously fried.

For what it’s worth I actually think Bevo has improved this year. Team selection is better.
And he's made at least 2 in game moves that I'm aware of. Granted because of injuries. But it's a start.

How many times has English being no.1 ruck cost us finals and games last few years? He faded again on the weekend, but it wasn’t entirely his fault as our 2nd ruck was sent to FB. We were the last team to thrash Collingwood by 48 points mid last year. Guess who was in the ruck that night????? Jordon Sweet. We kicked the first 6 goals in 15 mins of football where Sweet tapped the ball down our mids throats in a blistering display of clearance dominance. A smart coach would’ve realized that when we played Collingwood a few weeks ago, we had to win the midfield to win the game. If we played Sweet in that game and English forward, I believe we would’ve won that game.

But of course, our mastermind coach doesn’t rate Sweet, or West or Cleary, yet he is fully prepared to keep a revolving door of hacks like Hannan, McComb, McNeil, Gardner, Scott etc

In 2021, when we had Martin no.1 ruck and English forward, where did we finish???? In the Grand Final. So why doesn’t he put English in the forward line and Sweet in the ruck a la 2021? We all know Sweet is no good around the ground, but that’s what English is for. Instead of stuffing around with Lobb every week, try Sweet and English ffs. At least once
Yes we should do the opposite of Melbourne and play our AA forward to accommodate a worse ruck

Not sure what league you play in, but it’s a concern if they aren’t teaching you to find a target inside 50 before opting to go long to a 50/50 contest where the opposition has just as much chance of winning the ball as you do.

Of course teams strive to make top 4 each season. To lose the plot though after the fact, after we’ve won a flag and made 2 GF’s because we didn’t make the top 4 in those seasons is as stupid as it gets.

I’m no different to anyone else In regards to how disappointing our performances have been this year and I do lay blame on the coaches. I’ve said it multiple times. I just don’t subscribe to the stupidity of some that seem to think it’s down to apparently having no plan, or certain player selections or the apparent lack of game day moves.

You can have the greatest game plan in the comp, but if you’re struggling to get the message across and can’t get the players to execute and struggle to motivate them, then it isn’t worth s**t. This is where I think Bevo is struggling. Saturdays game the perfect example. By early in the 3rd we’d played GWS off the park in most areas and if not for inaccuracy we’d have been 8-9 goals up. This is against one of the in form teams in the comp going for their 7th win in the trot. How the f**k do we get to that position with the coaching group being poor tactically and not knowing what they’re doing? It’s utter lunacy to suggest our poor football is mainly down to tactical issues.

We’ve got major issues with the mental strength of our team and inability of our coaches to get them to stay in games for longer periods than they currently do. The drop off in 2nd half on Saturday shows exactly that. This is by far a bigger issue than 90% of the dribble suggestions that get discussed in here.
First you blamed our average list for our average games.
Next you blamed our kicking for goal.
Now you're blaming the players mental strength.
Next you'll be blaming the draw.
After that the weather.
After that the interest rate rises.
Etc, etc.

I think we can all agree that we are poor, very poor both on field and in the coaches box when the tide turns. We're either too slow to respond or have no answers at all.

As important as it is to get in strong positions in games, it's just as important, if not more important, to respond when things inevitably turn and that's where we've been left wanting for a long time now.

It's a massive problem and you just have to hope, whether it's a new coach, some smart new assistants or getting rid of the mental weaknesses on field, that something will eventually be done to fix it.

I think we can all agree that we are poor, very poor both on field and in the coaches box when the tide turns. We're either too slow to respond or have no answers at all.

As important as it is to get in strong positions in games, it's just as important, if not more important, to respond when things inevitably turn and that's where we've been left wanting for a long time now.

It's a massive problem and you just have to hope, whether it's a new coach, some smart new assistants or getting rid of the mental weaknesses on field, that something will eventually be done to fix it.
Its a sick groundhog day.

5 more games dhould have been won. Passed every one up against the wall with s**t tactics when well in front

No you’re right. There is no plan. The players just some how know what to do on the footy field.

The hours spent on the training track must be kick to kick sessions and the in week meetings and pre game prep must be used to watch Home and Away re-runs.

Thanks for the eye opener.

I don’t know what they do at training and in meetings but what I do know is they get plenty of Napoli sauce stories, stories from books, stories about boxers, stories about great warriors, stories about making Marvel a slaughter house and the like

Teach the players how to play their position and their roles in the side and make sure they become absolute beasts in their position.

Messy in the coaches heads
Messy in the players heads
Messy on the field

Confusion reigns

Last edited:
How did English not poll a single vote here? Wild
Second half didn't match his first?
Briggs seemed to really lift after half time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t watch many Giants games but apparently Briggs has been very good during the Giants run of wins . He’s been coached by our dear friend St. Mumford and they see him as his natural heir , a faugh a ballagh hulk .

English won the stats but got worn down by the end.

Would Sweet have made a difference ? Lobb only rucked when Briggs & English were off , I believe . You wouldn’t play Sweet just to take the second ruck . He’d have to play significant minutes in there . Will he ever be as good as Briggs? Probably not . But he may match him for strength .

The club were prepared to bring 189cm Buku Khamis as a ruck , an experiment which lasted one quarter. If Lobb gets dropped again - and he should be , because it’s hard to watch him out there - we can’t bring Khamis in because that was unfair to him , and amateur of the selection panel .

Lobb is so badly out of form I’m almost swinging in Sweet’s favour . He couldn’t be any worse . But the whispers are that Tim wants to be number one ruck.

It was the Giants mid forwards who cut us up . Callum Brown , the man from Co Derry, was excellent. There’s a low risk/ high reward in recruiting players from Ireland . Do we have any scouts over there ? It might be a welcome alternative to bringing in VFL players from the ‘scray every year .

In 2021, when we had Martin no.1 ruck and English forward

Martin spent most of 2021 out/injured, he only played 9 games in total that season

I don’t know what they do at training and in meetings but what I do know is they get plenty of Napoli sauce stories, stories from books, stories about boxers, stories about great warriors, stories about making Marvel a slaughter house and the like

Teach the players how to play their position and their roles in the side and make sure they become absolute beasts in their position.

Messy in the coaches heads
Messy in the players heads
Messy on the field

Confusion reigns

assistant coaches that the Bulldogs have lost since 2016

Steven_King_ Steven King (footballer) - Wikipedia
Brett_Montgomery Brett Montgomery - Wikipedia
Ashley_Hansen Ashley Hansen - Wikipedia
Joel_Corey
Daniel_Giansiracusa

and this our current assistant line up :) Coaching Staff | Western Bulldogs

Sweet is a better tap ruckman than English. When we played English forward in 2021 we were killing teams, it’s worth a try
English is rated elite for hitouts to advantage in the AFL so at best sweet is minimally better so again why would you move the AA ruckman out of the ruck for at best minimal impact rap wise? Also English would be lucky if he played more than 6 games forward that year without also ignoring the incredible growth he’s had in the last 2 years,

McComb is racking up the touches in the 2s why don’t we move Bont forward who’s been successful when he’s played there to accommodate McComb in?

Did not realise that Brett Montgomery is at GWS as defence coach is that right?

Assistants at the Dogs are an issue

Some clubs have ex senior coaches as Assistants
Did not realise that Brett Montgomery is at GWS as defence coach is that right Yes I think people have underrated his input as a a assistant coach to the WB 2016 flag

Did not realise that Brett Montgomery is at GWS as defence coach is that right Yes I think people have underrated his input as a a assistant coach to the WB 2016 flag

Agree fred

Not sure what happened there as Brent and club parted ways on the eve of finals.

I think you’re the one who’s fried. How do you explain the opposition runs of goals that has been happening almost weekly since 2021 GF??? Why doesn’t the coach change tactics to protect leads??? Why do we constantly cop goals in red time of quarters? I seriously think you’re just another nuffy know it all, Bevo lover, who just loves disagreeing with anyone who brings up relevant posts.
Surely our review of the 2021 GF loss would have unearthed some solutions.... ??

(Sarc. We didn't do a review ffs).

I don’t watch many Giants games but apparently Briggs has been very good during the Giants run of wins . He’s been coached by our dear friend St. Mumford and they see him as his natural heir , a faugh a ballagh hulk .

English won the stats but got worn down by the end.

Would Sweet have made a difference ? Lobb only rucked when Briggs & English were off , I believe . You wouldn’t play Sweet just to take the second ruck . He’d have to play significant minutes in there . Will he ever be as good as Briggs? Probably not . But he may match him for strength .

The club were prepared to bring 189cm Buku Khamis as a ruck , an experiment which lasted one quarter. If Lobb gets dropped again - and he should be , because it’s hard to watch him out there - we can’t bring Khamis in because that was unfair to him , and amateur of the selection panel .

Lobb is so badly out of form I’m almost swinging in Sweet’s favour . He couldn’t be any worse . But the whispers are that Tim wants to be number one ruck.

It was the Giants mid forwards who cut us up . Callum Brown , the man from Co Derry, was excellent. There’s a low risk/ high reward in recruiting players from Ireland . Do we have any scouts over there ? It might be a welcome alternative to bringing in VFL players from the ‘scray every year .
Briggs has been in the top 3 or 4 rucks in the competition since he's come in. Surprisingly good since he took the GWS ruck spot.

He left the club a month before finals? In fact we went 6-1 after he finished up with the only loss the dead rubber against Freo

Yeah he had no input to that team :) you really believe that ? maybe he wasn't a yes man to Bevo unlike the below team

• Backline Coach: Rohan Smith.
  • Stoppages/Opposition Analysis Coach: Marc Webb.
  • Forward Coach: Matt Spangher.
The above is so sad when you compare it to some of the other clubs in the AFL

Collingwood Assistant Coaches
  • Brendon Bolton. Director of Coaching/Back Coach.
  • Hayden Skipworth. Line Coach.
  • Justin Leppitsch. Head of Strategy/Forward Coach.
  • Scott Selwood. Assistant Coach - Midfield.
  • Neville Jetta. Development Coach - Forwards.
  • Jordan Roughead. Opposition and Development Coach.
  • Josh Fraser. ...
  • Andy Otten.
Carlton 2023 coaching group:
  • Senior Assistant coach – Forward line and offensive coach: Ash Hansen.
  • Backline and Team Defence coach: Aaron Hamill.
  • Midfield coach: Tim Clarke.
  • Coaching and Performance Manager: Aaron Greaves.
  • Ruck coach: Matthew Kreuzer.
  • Head of Development: Luke Power.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back