Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

And Sweet played a lot when Martin was out

Was never in Bev's mind, radar and consideration to play both Sweet and English in the same side for a period of time to make an assessment.

Bev and the coaches were prepared to try Bruce down back, Wood do a pre season as a forward, Buku go from back to forward to ruck you get my drift but they were never going to play both English and Sweet.

Who knows but we may have Lobb as a sole ruck going into season 2024.

Sweet and English should have been tried for a period of time we will never know if it would work and we will never know why it wasn't even considered.

Was never in Bev's mind, radar and consideration to play both Sweet and English in the same side for a period of time to make an assessment.

Bev and the coaches were prepared to try Bruce down back, Wood do a pre season as a forward, Buku go from back to forward to ruck you get my drift but they were never going to play both English and Sweet.

Who knows but we may have Lobb as a sole ruck going into season 2024.

Sweet and English should have been tried for a period of time we will never know if it would work and we will never know why it wasn't even considered.

Thing about Sweet and English is that one’s strengths is the others’ weakness.

We managed to play Martin and English together in 2016 - not sure why it is so hard.

What I liked about Sweet when he was in the team is that he wore the opposing ruckman down as the game went on. Unlike Tim he didn’t run out of gas at the end of games.

You could use Sweet to soften up the opposition then release Tim at the critical time.

Pretty sure that’s how Gawn and Jackson did it in 2021.

If Doc wasnt 'tagging' Greene, then that's on the coaches. .
I had been concerned all week with who to play on him.
Kingy also said on first crack, 'dont get beaten by what you know'.
We knew going in that Greene was always going to be a problem.
That's exactly my point.

For an experienced player like Duryea, judgement based upon experience in real time is expected. I didn't have Duryea as an out this week and thought he played OK but after watching that, I've changed my mind. Very critical and costly errors in judgement.
It didn't matter if it was Duryea or JJ or Dale. The coaches had to hard tag Greene. Just completely smother him, much the same as Ward did to Bont.
In fact I will go as far as saying it is the most neglectful coaching I've seen in the last 5 years.
That's saying something but it was so obvious.

Our coaching stocks are actually laughable compared to the rest of the competition

It's either negligent or incredibly arrogant from the administration.

I'm a Bevo critic but this can't just be put on him. That a footy department and club executive/board can think a team that's meant to be challenging for top four can be supported by a coaching department this thin and shallow is mind-boggling.

I'm a Bevo critic but this can't just be put on him. That a footy department and club executive/board can think a team that's meant to be challenging for top four can be supported by a coaching department this thin and shallow is mind-boggling.

They would be afraid of losing Bev by hiring anyone that may challenge him.

This has always been my stance with the Bevo debate. The man is flawed, but * me it is frustrating seeing how experienced other sides coaching panels are. It all comes back to the fact we have Spangher as our forwards coach despite having no meaningful coaching experience. I’m not against moving on to a new era with a new senior coach, but the bare minimum for this offseason is putting some time into actually recruiting a quality experienced coach for the role instead of picking up the scraps last minute

The Lobb to full back instead of Naughton was ridiculous, but so was not having someone roll back behind the ball in the 3rd.

When GWS were kicking against the wind, Connor Idun was placed 30m behind the first Bulldog forward. If we got the ball out the back they had a spare. Surely this is the most basic of things to put in place, especially when you are 35 points up?

We did it in the U14s. If old Rivers Marshall knew do do it in 1978, surely an AFL coach can work it out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also Toby Bedford looked like an All Australian against us. The media push how key forwards kill us but its always been the smalls who dine out.

Also Toby Bedford looked like an All Australian against us. The media push how key forwards kill us but its always been the smalls who dine out.
Certainly has been the case for the last couple of years. It has been a while since a Tall forward really got hold of us Peter Wright is the last one that springs to mind

The Lobb to full back instead of Naughton was ridiculous, but so was not having someone roll back behind the ball in the 3rd.

When GWS were kicking against the wind, Connor Idun was placed 30m behind the first Bulldog forward. If we got the ball out the back they had a spare. Surely this is the most basic of things to put in place, especially when you are 35 points up?

We did it in the U14s. If old Rivers Marshall knew do do it in 1978, surely an AFL coach can work it out?
Can anyone actually remember us using a spare behind the ball? I honestly can’t remember us ever doing it, it seems like such a simple move to make for a team that struggles so badly in the defensive half, and that struggles extremely badly with opposition momentum runs.

Too busy being locked into using a plus one at the stoppage and hanging our forward line out to dry with a loose man mopping up, I spose

Can anyone actually remember us using a spare behind the ball? I honestly can’t remember us ever doing it, it seems like such a simple move to make for a team that struggles so badly in the defensive half, and that struggles extremely badly with opposition momentum runs.

Too busy being locked into using a plus one at the stoppage and hanging our forward line out to dry with a loose man mopping up, I spose

Which raises the question.

When we have the two best contested players in the comp - why do we actually need a spare around the ball?

Shouldn’t we just let the opposition try and flood the contest and get them out the back?

Certainly has been the case for the last couple of years. It has been a while since a Tall forward really got hold of us Peter Wright is the last one that springs to mind
Rory Lobb was a tall forward who got hold of us three times last season:
  • Once in Rd 21 (4 goals)
  • Once in the EF (2 goals)
  • And once in the contract negotiations to come to the WB

If anyone watched the review by Lloyd and bartel on classified of the giants waltzing it out of our forward line time and time again on the weekend, I also feel for u. Was actually worse than i remembered. Despite being told total ground defence was the main focus in the off season, it's abundantly clear nothing has been fixed. The footage was beyond embarrassing, viewing I'd expect of an Eagles game. Very little our defenders could do when nearly every time they had 2 loose players streaming forward. Not sure how this constant issue hasn't been fixed.

Last edited:
If anyone watched the review by Lloyd and bartel on classified of the giants waltzing it out of our forward line time and time again on the weekend, I also feel for u. Was actually worse than i remembered. Despite being told total ground defence was the main focus in the off season, it's abundantly clear nothing has been fixed. The footage was beyond embarrassing, viewing I'd expect of an Eagles game. Very little our defenders could do when nearly every time they had 2 loose players streaming forward. Not sure how this constant issue hasn't been fixed.
Yes, that and OG's stats on Fwd pressure and tackling marry up. I'd be swinging the axe really hard up there but doesn't sound like it's reflected in the changes. A little bit of latitude for being a couple of rotations down but not enough to cop that.

We have very few ways of progressing in a meaningful way this year given our pace related stocks in the midfield. Fwd defensive pressure, commitment and effectiveness is critical. Last week's effort was diabolical bordering on unforgivable. Heads rolling or a severe arse kicking at the very least.

Yes, that and OG's stats on Fwd pressure and tackling marry up. I'd be swinging the axe really hard up there but doesn't sound like it's reflected in the changes. A little bit of latitude for being a couple of rotations down but not enough to cop that.

We have very few ways of progressing in a meaningful way this year given our pace related stocks in the midfield. Fwd defensive pressure, commitment and effectiveness is critical. Last week's effort was diabolical bordering on unforgivable. Heads rolling or a severe arse kicking at the very least.
Or we could develop and implement a game plan that didn't set up the preconditions for this to happen...

Bedford is a very good player though. We should have chased him.

Plus, we don't really have a lockdown small defender bar Duryea who is not quite the player he once was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back