Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Or we could develop and implement a game plan that didn't set up the preconditions for this to happen...
Unfortunately, we are deprived of behind the goals vision, apart from the odd snippet on shows that most of us can't bear to watch, which would give us a much clearer picture.

Take Duryea for example. I'm not sure how he survives his errors on Greene but it seems he does. Behind the goals vision is damning. If he does survive then his own player judgement is largely being excluded and there must be mitigating factors.

Are they
  • lack of pressure up the field
  • fatigue because of the KPD losses in game
  • Bubba Smith didn't tell him to play Greene from behind, not let him get behind and generally stick to him like sh1t to the proverbial
With the lack of forward pressure and fwd defensive effectiveness, is that player or system? Don't have the vision to say conclusively ...... but the coaches do.

If anyone watched the review by Lloyd and bartel on classified of the giants waltzing it out of our forward line time and time again on the weekend, I also feel for u. Was actually worse than i remembered. Despite being told total ground defence was the main focus in the off season, it's abundantly clear nothing has been fixed. The footage was beyond embarrassing, viewing I'd expect of an Eagles game. Very little our defenders could do when nearly every time they had 2 loose players streaming forward. Not sure how this constant issue hasn't been fixed.
If anyone watched the review by Lloyd and bartel on classified of the giants waltzing it out of our forward line time and time again on the weekend, I also feel for u. Was actually worse than i remembered. Despite being told total ground defence was the main focus in the off season, it's abundantly clear nothing has been fixed. The footage was beyond embarrassing, viewing I'd expect of an Eagles game. Very little our defenders could do when nearly every time they had 2 loose players streaming forward. Not sure how this constant issue hasn't been fixed.
Noticed with one of the clips it’s was 17 scoring shots to 9 with 9 minutes to go in the third. Still amazed we lost from that position.

Bedford is a very good player though. We should have chased him.

Plus, we don't really have a lockdown small defender bar Duryea who is not quite the player he once was.

We made Bedford look like Usain Bolt can't believe how slow he made us look

Unfortunately, we are deprived of behind the goals vision, apart from the odd snippet on shows that most of us can't bear to watch, which would give us a much clearer picture.

Take Duryea for example. I'm not sure how he survives his errors on Greene but it seems he does. Behind the goals vision is damning. If he does survive then his own player judgement is largely being excluded and there must be mitigating factors.

Are they
  • lack of pressure up the field
  • fatigue because of the KPD losses in game
  • Bubba Smith didn't tell him to play Greene from behind, not let him get behind and generally stick to him like sh1t to the proverbial
With the lack of forward pressure and fwd defensive effectiveness, is that player or system? Don't have the vision to say conclusively ...... but the coaches do.
I watched a replay of the 2nd half. Just about every time they surged forward it looked like our defenders were guarding space and they just cut through us with quick ball movement.
Whilst when we went forward their defenders were joined at the hip of our players.
Would love to see us play man on man all over the field when we lose momentum.

I’ll hold my judgement until we actually know what happens, and I agree with AJ coming in because he’s a pressure monster and we need that but geez if West gets the flick over VDM that’s just honestly not acceptable, 13 PAs each, 5 tackles to 1!!! 2 tackles I50 to 1, and West hit the scoreboard.

Aaand he played half a game?

You just could not make a case to make that decision fairly and stand by it, but again let’s see what happens tonight first

I’ll hold my judgement until we actually know what happens, and I agree with AJ coming in because he’s a pressure monster and we need that but geez if West gets the flick over VDM that’s just honestly not acceptable, 13 PAs each, 5 tackles to 1!!! 2 tackles I50 to 1, and West hit the scoreboard.

Aaand he played half a game?

You just could not make a case to make that decision fairly and stand by it, but again let’s see what happens tonight first
I fully agree VDM should be out before West every day of the week.

One thing the statistics do not show though is one of West's major weaknesses. When contesting 1 v 1 he often tries bodying first and not attacking the ball.

Saw 4 times in Ballarat where not only his opponent won the ball but West ended up goal side leaving his opponent free access to set up an attack from defence. If West is to make it as a consistent AFL player it is something he has to fix or no matter the coach he will always be at risk of being dropped as releasing pressure in your forward line is as big as losing contested footy these days.

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

One thing the statistics do not show though is one of West's major weaknesses. When contesting 1 v 1 he often tries bodying first and not attacking the ball.

Saw 4 times in Ballarat where not only his opponent won the ball but West ended up goal side leaving his opponent free access to set up an attack from defence. If West is to make it as a consistent AFL player it is something he has to fix or no matter the coach he will always be at risk of being dropped as releasing pressure in your forward line is as big as losing contested footy these days.

That’s a pretty minor tweak though - his attack on the ball & man is pretty much unmatched in our side bar a couple, that should be harnessed and used to our strength but it seems we feel it’s easier to just drop him rather than work with him on his deficiencies

That’s a pretty minor tweak though - his attack on the ball & man is pretty much unmatched in our side bar a couple, that should be harnessed and used to our strength but it seems we feel it’s easier to just drop him rather than work with him on his deficiencies
Not sure it is a minor tweak. Had it in every AFL game he has played and still has not adjusted.

Hope he makes it as for a 10 to 15 minute period he does exactly as you say. His fisrt 10 minutes last week were exceptional, after that went back to form. Must do it for much longer to be a regular best 22

Are the coaches seeing it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure it is a minor tweak. Had it in every AFL game he has played and still has not adjusted.

Hope he makes it as for a 10 to 15 minute period he does exactly as you say. His fisrt 10 minutes last week were exceptional, after that went back to form. Must do it for much longer to be a regular best 22

I feel like it’s just an adjustment he needs to make and will learn with experience when to go the ball and when the man, honestly I wouldn’t want to take it out of his game completely - you need a few guys who opposition wouldn’t wanna come up against and he’s one of them, because if you give him a chance he’ll smash you.

It’s a positive for mine, but get where you’re coming from - there’s a fine balance there. Again though that’s just an experience thing for mine and he’ll never get it right going from VFL to AFL to sub every week.

His upside is high and to be honest his downside is not much lower than some of the crap where rolling through that spot, he just plays for mine but clearly the coaches see it differently.

Are the coaches seeing it?
VDM runs harder, West is harder at the contest.
Arty Jones does work hard as well so if he's in, it really depends on what we're trying to do.

I feel like it’s just an adjustment he needs to make and will learn with experience when to go the ball and when the man, honestly I wouldn’t want to take it out of his game completely - you need a few guys who opposition wouldn’t wanna come up against and he’s one of them, because if you give him a chance he’ll smash you.

It’s a positive for mine, but get where you’re coming from - there’s a fine balance there. Again though that’s just an experience thing for mine and he’ll never get it right going from VFL to AFL to sub every week.

His upside is high and to be honest his downside is not much lower than some of the crap where rolling through that spot, he just plays for mine but clearly the coaches see it differently.
Though I am not sure on his upside he is certainly a better prospect than VDM, Mc Combe,.and Garcia at a minimum and am happy if we put some time into him

Unfortunately he is not a wingman where we have a very large void

Remove this Banner Ad

Back