Autopsy Swans defeat Dogs (78 v 76)

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering it happened in the first quarter. I'd hope we didn't leave him out there all game with a concussion. He and treloar were listed as injured on the afl app in the at the end of the first quarter but both resumed the second.

Would think it has to be delayed concussion. There’s no rule about the effects coming 5 minutes or 5 hours later. I do remember seeing him go to the bench and he looked sore, the boundary rider (Lynch maybe?) pointed it out he came off hurt and said he’d try to find out what happened, but then there was nothing more said & he came back on.

The effects may have only really been felt after all the adrenaline wore off after cooling down

I agree, our list, or certain parts of our list, are better on paper than those teams. We’ve got some big names. Maybe it’s our lesser types that are dragging us down, maybe it’s the game plan, maybe it’s an inability to carry out the game plan, maybe it’s not having a backline, maybe it’s the coach… plenty of opinions.
A couple of facts about the Swans game though… for the first 3 quarters Sydney had 4 extra players on the ground ie. the umpires… and in the last quarter in our forward line Red made 2 howlers and Bont one that would have won the game. Those factors can’t be on the coach.
It’s not just about the Swans game though in isolation. We’ve seen that game play out over a dozen times over the last 2 years. Start very well, dominate clearances, concede a massive run on of goals and goals out the back like the papley match winner. If it was a one off no one would care. But it’s a constant formula the team hasn’t been able to address and ultimately that’s on the coach.

Would think it has to be delayed concussion. There’s no rule about the effects coming 5 minutes or 5 hours later. I do remember seeing him go to the bench and he looked sore, the boundary rider (Lynch maybe?) pointed it out he came off hurt and said he’d try to find out what happened, but then there was nothing more said & he came back on.

The effects may have only really been felt after all the adrenaline wore off after cooling down
Concussion effects can be delayed enough, to only present themselves even the next day. There is no real on the spot test for delayed ones unfortunately. I reckon most contact sport players have had a few micro concussions and played on, passing their tests etc, across their career. And gone through the week like normal and still put on the boots for the next weekend like nothing happened. Repeat.

Concussion effects can be delayed enough, to only present themselves even the next day. There is no real on the spot test for delayed ones unfortunately. I reckon most contact sport players have had a few micro concussions and played on, passing their tests etc, across their career. And gone through the week like normal and still put on the boots for the next weekend like nothing happened. Repeat.
I had a bad concussion once playing rugby. I wasn't knocked but went onto auto-pilot. My skipper noticed I was wandering aimlessly at set pieces and told me to go off. AFL being a much more 360 degree game, it's difficult to diagnose if a player gets a knock and steps up. Would need some close monitoring of a players movements to pick up the problem.

Hope McNeil is OK, I like the kid and I wish people would give him more credit.

I had a bad concussion once playing rugby. I wasn't knocked but went onto auto-pilot. My skipper noticed I was wandering aimlessly at set pieces and told me to go off. AFL being a much more 360 degree game, it's difficult to diagnose if a player gets a knock and steps up. Would need some close monitoring of a players movements to pick up the problem.

Hope McNeil is OK, I like the kid and I wish people would give him more credit.
How a player reacts soon after getting knocked is a big one. Unless knocked out cold which is obvious. If they spend too much time on the ground and are not "winded", look "stunned/lost" when sitting there for a few seconds, or get up straight away and stagger around for first couple of steps. Then they are clearly affected. Even if they pass the test, Doctors should use common sense to not let them back on. Whether they do or don't these days who knows? You would think so given the lawsuits flying around these days.

But like you said, if the player gets up instantly and runs off. You cannot really do anything about it. They'd just send the trainer out and ask if they are fine, gets shrugged off, play on. Probably happens more often than people realize. Pretty sure some players would hide it as well if any delayed symptoms presented themselves during the days after.

West didnt get much of it, but I thought his possessions were high impact - 5 score involvement from 11 possessions. Knows how to use his frame in the contest to get the ball free or upset the opposition - similar strengths and weaknesses as libba. I hope we dont chase him out of the club by playing old hacks ahead of him

It’s not just about the Swans game though in isolation. We’ve seen that game play out over a dozen times over the last 2 years. Start very well, dominate clearances, concede a massive run on of goals and goals out the back like the papley match winner. If it was a one off no one would care. But it’s a constant formula the team hasn’t been able to address and ultimately that’s on the coach.
yes I get it. I totally see you point of view. But, I refer back to Red running through 50 about to launch one of his beautiful kicks that would have at least scored a behind… he got run down… then he had the chance to hit a short pass in forward 50 and had it easily intercepted… Bont had the the same thing happen to him, an easy chip kick that was intercepted in our forward 50… any of those come off and we win the game. And we are talking about the most reliable kicks in our team. This s**t happens and those specific instances can’t come back onto the coach. The blatantly biased umpiring can’t come back on the coach. Yes we should be good enough to take the umpiring out of it but the reality of footy these days is that almost every game is down to the wire. The 6.6.6 rule means no one can load up the backline meaning it’s harder than ever to stop a run on…
We all want to give the boys a rocket after a game like that but from all reports you can’t give a rocket to this generation of youngsters because they are different… they don’t respond to it it apparently… so we take it out on the coach because that’s the only person we can take it out on. Bevo cops this s**t and puts up a brave face and backs his players in. It seems that no one is on his side, the very vocal minority want him gone, the media want him gone… just think for a minute why anyone would want Bevo’s job when in 8 years he has made finals every year bar 1, made 2 grand finals and has won a flag, one of 2 flags in the clubs history… yet he’s getting howled out of the club by people that don’t like being called ‘self entitled clowns’.
Sorry but I will hitch my cart to the Bevo wagon as long as we have him and I’ll back in the club on any decision they make regarding the coach because as much as I think I know about footy and coaching, I know it’s only my bullshit opinion made from the back row just like every goose in here. Generation X, Y and Z probably call me a Bevo ‘fanboy’ or a troll or some other bullsh1t term that is trending right now… I call myself a loyal supporter that hates losing but licks his wounds and gets back on the horse next week for more pain and hopefully a bit of happiness.

it would hurt losing West. He’s a natural at getting score involvements and firing off handballs under pressure. Not a terrible kick and can lay a crunching tackle. Not to mention the age profile of our midfield.

Like his game and it appears he’s cut out some of the selfish parts that were holding him back.

Considering it happened in the first quarter. I'd hope we didn't leave him out there all game with a concussion. He and treloar were listed as injured on the afl app in the at the end of the first quarter but both resumed the second.
Delayed concussion came on after the match I heard

Knowing we beat Sydney 7 times out of ten in this match (we were the better team, let's be honest), and getting off to flying starts against Collingwood, Geelong and Port in the past two months, it's not all doom and gloom. There are positive signs and I'm a believer.

As long as we don't continue to be murdered by umpires who seems to have some unhealthy agenda of making up for the good ride we've had in recent years, I think our season can build some momentum this week.

We've got some tough matches coming up and the only given is West Coast. Similarly, the only given loss is Geelong and it will be years until we win at that s**t hole of a stadium.

That leaves four games which won't be easy, but I feel we're a better team overall so I have faith we can sweep our next four. Our next five opponents, we beat them all in our previous matchup. We can do it again.

1689503769778.png

Seriously, though, what's the deal with us getting off to strong starts in matches we end up losing? It's sickening. The two worst starts we've got off to in the past seven weeks are the two matches we won. That's ******* bizarre.

We're clearly doing something right to start strongly against quality opposition and it can't just be the umpires that kills our momentum. Most of the time it's a missed shot at goal that results in an 11-point turnaround. Real momentum killer.
W

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, though, what's the deal with us getting off to strong starts in matches we end up losing? It's sickening. The two worst starts we've got off to in the past seven weeks are the two matches we won. That's ******* bizarre.

We're clearly doing something right to start strongly against quality opposition and it can't just be the umpires that kills our momentum. Most of the time it's a missed shot at goal that results in an 11-point turnaround. Real momentum killer.
W

Our quarters across the season have been incredibly even with no quarter a clear standout in terms of wins. I guess what it does say is when we lose quarters we lose them by big margins. It's painfully clear that we cannot stop the bleeding when teams get a run on, the question is why has nothing changed in almost 2 years.

QBQ.png

What did the experts on here make of West’s game ?

No star and not that prolific , but does add a bit of a hard edge at the contest.
Generally good things happen if he gets it.
I thought he was pretty solid. for me he is definitely a seniors player and will only get better when he strings a few games together. I love the way he rips the ball out of opposition player’s arms. Bloody tough little nugget.

Only North Melbourne and Essendon had a lower percentage of kicks inside 50 that didn't target a player this round, that's saying something considering how poor those 2 teams were. 28 of our kicks inside 50 were bombs.
Seems like something our game plan would be. Rather than kick inside 50 to MAKE something happen, we kick it in there and HOPE something happens. No wonder we are so inefficient.

Still remember the 2021 team, that kicked high scores, cleared the forward line to leave someone one on one, created space when we needed it, hit targets for marks inside 50, etc. Our game plan, players decision making and ball use have all gone to s**t in only two seasons, along with a midfield forgetting how to defend.

I'd kill to see us play exciting and attractive footy again. Every game I have been to this year, there was no atmosphere, game was stagnant and boring for most parts. Unfortunately the two games I have missed, have been our only two Marvel home wins all year (Lions and Dockers). Even watching us on tv has been bit of a yawn.

Last edited:
Only North Melbourne and Essendon had a lower percentage of kicks inside 50 that didn't target a player this round, that's saying something considering how poor those 2 teams were. 28 of our kicks inside 50 were bombs.
No wonder it seems like we bomb it in on top of our forwards heads every time….because we practically do

The SCG is a pretty compact ground compared to others so I think that played some part in the high numbers of bombed entries.

The real problem is going the other way. How we allowed Sydney to slice through our whole ground defence on a ground like that is purely unacceptable.

The SCG is a pretty compact ground compared to others so I think that played some part in the high numbers of bombed entries.

The real problem is going the other way. How we allowed Sydney to slice through our whole ground defence on a ground like that is purely unacceptable.

Possibly but the SCG is only 5m shorter than Docklands, either way being only above Essendon and North Melbourne this week is unacceptable for a team in the top 8.

Poulter has been okay, but geez he’s probably the last thing we need right now. The bloke is unbelievably slow, not sure if it’s straight up legspeed or just the way he plays but it really compounds on our existing issues. Really think he needs to bulk up and play inside if he wants to make it, he’s sort of a Lipinski without the great footskills, a bit of a poor man’s Hunter tbh and I really don’t think that fits on a wing in the modern game unfortunately, slow winger with average but safe footskills.

He’ll get another week due to the injuries but I’d prefer Baker at this stage

What did the experts on here make of West’s game ?

No star and not that prolific , but does add a bit of a hard edge at the contest.
Generally good things happen if he gets it.

I like the way he plays - he should be told he is playing every week for the rest of the year. With confidence, I think he will shine.

Give him a run in the middle as well - west,libba,Bont…..at least give him a few runs in there to see how he goes.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back