Autopsy Dogs beaten by Port 107-85

Remove this Banner Ad

We play better when we take the game on, run at the opposition instead trying to go around and when we get ball moving quickly.

Vs Cats we had 8or 9 players im the top 10 possessions on the ground Last night probable 7 of the top 10.

Get the ball into the right players hands and get it forward by foot.

We have all these tall marking options but we still try cute handballs and passes in a circle like we have a forward line of short people. Maybe we have to simplify that game plan.

That Keath pass to Caleb in the last quarter was a scrubber after he ran into trouble. It doesn’t have to pretty or perfect.

Other than Naughton playing as a backmen as a draftee why is there a call to move him there? Worst case scenario is a 50 goal a year forward. Playing back is much easier than playing forward, players such as Moore are there because they were poor forward. When the players up the ground refuse to be direct and the forward line isn't being setup up well, good luck to anyone down there.
1 Because we need him back
2 Because he is not a forward
3 Because he isn't touching the ball.
I ask the question why is JUH getting a lot of ball and Naughton isn't? Answer- Because JUH is a forward who knows how to play the position.

I ask the question why is JUH getting a lot of ball and Naughton isn't? Answer- Because JUH is a forward who knows how to play the position.
Naughton is playing as a FF. Move him to CHF and play marra as the target inside 50

Comes down to game plan and everyone been same page

So much possession for so little reward, so many inside 50’s for little reward no wonder I’m finding it hard to watch us this year just not enjoyable no cohesion

I really feel sorry for the players they are confused

Messy in the coaches head messy out on the field

And JUH is always on the move

I was hoping he'd get one or two disposals even if they were only HBs and ineffective. That sort of thing can haunt a player for ages. Or can be used by opponents to taunt him. He'll need to be mentally tough to rebound quickly.

I hope they get around him this week.
A little bit of haunting might also be good thing for him. At the moment, he simply doesn't work hard enough to impact the game when things aren't going his way, so has a lot to learn.

If watching his teammates doing all the work and not getting a possession himself couldn't inspire him to get involved late in the game last night, then he surely needs a bigger wake up call.

Also needs some serious gym time to build some strength. He gets pushed off the ball like a primary school kid playing against year 12s.

No thanks, it's time to get someone who has successfully coached a forward line before

At least he played his craft as a forward, couldn’t be any worse than the current setup

On a positive note how good is Marra going now, such a gun. At least nailed a couple last night after a couple of routine misses of course.

If he sorts that out he kicks 40+ this year, gun around the ground, gun at ground level, gun with ball in hand and marks are now sticking too. Must avg about 4 marks inside 50 a game which is impressive in our s**t hole

Comes down to game plan and everyone been same page

So much possession for so little reward, so many inside 50’s for little reward no wonder I’m finding it hard to watch us this year just not enjoyable no cohesion

I really feel sorry for the players they are confused

Messy in the coaches head messy out on the field
No sure I agree with that.

Game plan was OK.
Too many passengers and umpires looked like they entered the game with a particular mindset against us.
Other team was pretty strong too, especially given they got away with playing well outside the rules.

Don’t think Baker needed to do anything, the ball wasn’t going to get touched. Anyway from 15m out with no pressure Cody should have flushed it better.

No sure I agree with that.

Game plan was OK.
Too many passengers and umpires looked like they entered the game with a particular mindset against us.
Other team was pretty strong too, especially given they got away with playing well outside the rules.

Wasn’t necessarily talking about last night

Game plan over last couple years especially vs top 8 teams is an issue.

How many times have we conceded 4 or more goals without a response ? Where is the plan to stop teams getting a run on?

Messy in coaches head messy on the field players are confused

Trying to sell us Lobb on a wing in insulting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without Bruce and O'Donnell's brain snaps we should have been almost even at 3/4 time. Then the umps rorting us we should have won by a few goals
O’Donnell’s was not a ‘brain snap’ because he hasn’t played enough yet to even know what to do yet. Bevo is brutalising this kid, he has enormous potential but is not ready yet.

O’Donnell’s was not a ‘brain snap’ because he hasn’t played enough yet to even know what to do yet. Bevo is brutalising this kid, he has enormous potential but is not ready yet.
There’s a clear spot in defence for him as third tall but he has to go to the VFL now because we’ve nearly ruined him already. Literally terrible management.

There’s a clear spot in defence for him as third tall but he has to go to the VFL now because we’ve nearly ruined him already. Literally terrible management.
He’s played forward, then back, then forward and back in the same game, now back as a defender.

Hard to know what they are trying to do with him.

JOD’s confidence must be shot after yesterday. Needs to go back and rebuild. He’s not learning anything in the seniors at the moment. A headless chook without the ball and deer in the headlights with it. Not sure why a guy who only started taking footy seriously this year is thrown around all over the shop on the field with different instructions each week.

He’s played forward, then back, then forward and back in the same game, now back as a defender.

Hard to know what they are trying to do with him.

Killing him. To the point where his confidence will be shot, but he's not the only one, which is why I'm in the time for a coaching change camp. Move before it's too late.

Pretty much agree with most of this except English. He was very poor last night and got completely rattled by an old school physical ruck. But he has had a great season so will be interesting to see how he responds.
It's a discussion worth having.

My view is that his great season has been as an around-the-ground player not as a tap ruckman. I may have been a bit harsh saying keep him away from all the taps, but I definitely think he doesn't do much for us at CBs. He might have "won" the rucking duels maybe once this season and perhaps squared them a few times. Am I being too harsh in that assessment?

As a roaming tall who occasionally chops out at the taps he'd be excellent and definitely worth keeping.

With English on our list do we need to throw away the traditional concept and structure of rucks and re-think how we go about this? Or perhaps we just carry on as is and let him ruck at CBs and around the ground and accept that we'll rarely do better than break even.

He's being spoken of in AA conversations but I can't see him ever being an AA ruckman purely on what he does around the ground. You've got to be a force in the tap duels as well.

AFTERTHOUGHT: the nearest equivalent to the role I have in mind might be Blicavs. An occasional tap ruckman (averages 10 HOs a game) but great mobility and athleticism around the ground. English could be a 20% upgrade on that.

Last edited:
If that Baker shepard call happened against any other team there would be national outrage. But because it was against us there is nothing about it I’m the media at all. The amount of times I’ve read it’s the “right call” online when it hasn’t ever been called in my 30 years watching footy. Ridiculous
I won't get into the conspiracy theory stuff.
However, I have a crazy theory that 4 umpires is increasing the inconsistency. For two reasons:

1. They aren't as busy officiating their portion of the game and have more time to scrutinise other things. In some cases this is increasing the tendency to make marginal calls or to assert a look-at-me presence if they are that way inclined (the Razor Ray syndrome).

2. With four umpires instead of three there are six pairing combinations between umpires (A-B-C-D) instead of three such pairings (A-B, A-C, B-C) so any inconsistency in interpretation from one umpire to the next is happening more frequently and therefore becoming more apparent to the spectators.

So maybe if there were only 3 umps this shepherd call wouldn't have happened? Either way it was a sh*t call.

Wasn’t necessarily talking about last night

Game plan over last couple years especially vs top 8 teams is an issue.

How many times have we conceded 4 or more goals without a response ? Where is the plan to stop teams getting a run on?

Messy in coaches head messy on the field players are confused

Trying to sell us Lobb on a wing in insulting

Presses are always prone to embarrassing looking score runs when they go wrong.

You need to have smart, experienced\well drilled players who know when and how to adjust when things go wrong. Unfortunately, our current unsettled team struggles to adjust.

A little bit of haunting might also be good thing for him. At the moment, he simply doesn't work hard enough to impact the game when things aren't going his way, so has a lot to learn.

If watching his teammates doing all the work and not getting a possession himself couldn't inspire him to get involved late in the game last night, then he surely needs a bigger wake up call.

Also needs some serious gym time to build some strength. He gets pushed off the ball like a primary school kid playing against year 12s.
No I disagree on his work rate. His regularly high ranking in pressure acts show that he is doing plenty when we don't have the ball, and it's evident with the eye test a lot of the time.

However I agree he needs to find ways to get the ball more often. And that it's time to regroup. He should do that in the VFL.

And yes, he'll benefit from a big pre-season in 2024. One of his two best mates at the club, Marra, had to go through that same path. It's only this year that he's looking strong enough to compete with his big-bodied opponents. So I hope Marra mentors and encourages him in this regard.

Presses are always prone to embarrassing looking score runs when they go wrong.

You need to have smart, experienced\well drilled players who know when and how to adjust when things go wrong. Unfortunately, our current unsettled team struggles to adjust.
Or there is no plan

Without Bruce and O'Donnell's brain snaps we should have been almost even at 3/4 time. Then the umps rorting us we should have won by a few goals
Or JUH & Lobb could have kicked easy set shots early in the game.

We seriously aren't that far off it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back