Review Dogs 115 def Suns 67

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought we were in real trouble at 3/4 time when they kicked the last 3 goals of the quarter, so was rapt that we went on to win the last quarter and the game well and show some resolve, led my our midfield generals.

Last week was horrendous, this week we answered like we should have. Will reserve judgement for another month, still not sure where we sit, we showed today when we are on we can match it with anyway, need to bring that consistently which has been a struggle for a long time.

Some great positives though for me buku, Darcy, flea, Baker, bramble (what a great surprise) jjs run is back and sanders.

I was worried after the Naughton and Poulter regulation missed shots in the 4th

On the week I muse whether he can play further up the ground on a wing, Cody kicks 6 straight :p

3rd goal particularly impressive - caught behind and goes the punch, recovers and tackles the suns player who got his crumb, gets the free and slots it from the boundary.

Think we underrate how good Treloar is. He was best on when the game was on the line imo.

Liber vs Rowell… awesome. Hopefully we keep using him against the other teams best contested mid.

Don’t know what you do with Lobb now cos Darcy can’t be left out.
We’ll need Lobb again this year, Darcy won’t play out the season and we shouldn’t burn him out but he’s Darcy’s back up now as far as I’m concerned. Handy to have on the list.

I’m not concerned about Lobbs contract, if English stays Lobb will almost certainly ship off. Melbourne or something would take him for sure and he won’t stick around to see out his career in the 2s

Monday morning so much better after a win, keen to see more of that. We’ve been sold a lemon far too many times but so I’m going to want to see a month of improvement before I get excited again.

So many positives yesterday, backline holding up so well under immense pressure probably the biggest. Unfortunately it’s becoming pretty crippled pretty fast

Monday morning so much better after a win, keen to see more of that. We’ve been sold a lemon far too many times but so I’m going to want to see a month of improvement before I get excited again.

So many positives yesterday, backline holding up so well under immense pressure probably the biggest. Unfortunately it’s becoming pretty crippled pretty fast
Duryea is past his best but still has the experience. Keath and JOD hopefully fit enough soon. Williams is used to half back.

Yeah, but nice to come off the weekend with a mood lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ll be well placed by round 6 to get a good indication of where we’re at. There’s every chance Melbourne might be a top side this year given they’ve won two games comfortably and lost to an impressive Sydney side away.

Assuming we take care of the Eagles, we have games against the Cats, Bombers & Saints to come. That should at least show whether we are better than that group or whether we should be grouped with them as a 7-10 side.

We’ll be well placed by round 6 to get a good indication of where we’re at. There’s every chance Melbourne might be a top side this year given they’ve won two games comfortably and lost to an impressive Sydney side away.

Assuming we take care of the Eagles, we have games against the Cats, Bombers & Saints to come. That should at least show whether we are better than that group or whether we should be grouped with them as a 7-10 side.
One game at a time 😉

Bevo is a spud coach, except for when we win.

Um…..no?

He’s a good coach who frustrates and annoys the hell out of everyone because he often loses the plot, makes stupid team selections, is stubborn as all hell, falls apart against top sides like Melbourne repeatedly, and does not make the finals with a list most rate as good enough to be a contender.

Has anyone actually retracted their criticism of him just because we won yesterday?

I certainly haven’t and I don’t see anyone else doing it either.

Think we underrate how good Treloar is. He was best on when the game was on the line imo.

Liber vs Rowell… awesome. Hopefully we keep using him against the other teams best contested mid.

Don’t know what you do with Lobb now cos Darcy can’t be left out.
Treloar has been an excellent recruit, particularly when you factor in the (low) cost of getting him. Just need that aggression from him every game, would gladly sacrifice a couple of possessions if it meant his tackling and pressure was as manic as it was yesterday.

“Jack has still got to build and today at VFL level is probably enough evidence that he’s pretty ready to step up… we’ll work out what the shuffle is. Because of the five inside mids who play though there, none of them did anything wrong, so it becomes a bit of a team balance type decision as well.”

Get a *ing grip Bevo. You’ve insisted on playing six inside mids every game for the last five years, now 4 key forwards and like 9 running defenders for the last 12 months so don’t start spewing that BS now. It’s insulting, and I say that as someone who has been Bevo In all the way up until like August last year. Accept that Macrae owned you and your shitty decision to sideline him and then move on and start making some sensible decisions for this club.

“Jack has still got to build and today at VFL level is probably enough evidence that he’s pretty ready to step up… we’ll work out what the shuffle is. Because of the five inside mids who play though there, none of them did anything wrong, so it becomes a bit of a team balance type decision as well.”

Get a *ing grip Bevo. You’ve insisted on playing six inside mids every game for the last five years, now 4 key forwards and like 9 running defenders for the last 12 months so don’t start spewing that BS now. It’s insulting, and I say that as someone who has been Bevo In all the way up until like August last year. Accept that Macrae owned you and your shitty decision to sideline him and then move on and start making some sensible decisions for this club.
Who are the 5 inside mids who played there? Bont/Libba/Adz take 85-90% of them, Sanders with a handful and Gallagher/Rhylee getting the crumbs.

Who are the 5 inside mids who played there? Bont/Libba/Adz take 85-90% of them, Sanders with a handful and Gallagher/Rhylee getting the crumbs.
It would be the main 3 with Sanders & Gallagher that he's referring to.

It's deadset taking the piss when he speaks like that. Gallagher has a bright future but to lump him with that group when he had 11 touches and made a few noticeably slow mistakes when you have a 29 y/o 3x AA club stalwart doing what he's always done is insulting. We are trying to win games right now and Jacko is clearly the better option in achieving that.

Gallagher has shown some positive signs but he's had a bit of exposure now. Allow him to go the VFL and develop as the main man in the midfield if that's where you see him long term. He doesn't deserve to be ahead of Macrae because he's young and a little bit quicker. That flat out isn't the selection integrity that Bevo constantly refers to.

Um…..no?

He’s a good coach who frustrates and annoys the hell out of everyone because he often loses the plot, makes stupid team selections, is stubborn as all hell, falls apart against top sides like Melbourne repeatedly, and does not make the finals with a list most rate as good enough to be a contender.

Has anyone actually retracted their criticism of him just because we won yesterday?

I certainly haven’t and I don’t see anyone else doing it either.
Yesterday's win does not explain how we could start the season off so flatly, particularly after an offseason with messages about the round 1 side being the "fittest, strongest and most ready". Clearly this side is capable of very strong performances which potentially match it with the best of the competition, but it happens only sporadically.

Bevo himself last week spoke about “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.” As supporters, we've now sat through the same Round 1 game 3 years running - no wonder we immediately went insane after the result.

We can only hope that Round 1 was an abberation for season 2024 but I don't think anyone could be convinced of that for some time yet.

Treloar has been an excellent recruit, particularly when you factor in the (low) cost of getting him. Just need that aggression from him every game, would gladly sacrifice a couple of possessions if it meant his tackling and pressure was as manic as it was yesterday.
I wouldn't mind betting the p***-weak tackling, numbers and effectiveness, of the week before was a focus in last week's review. Libba led the way by example and plenty of others - notably Sanders, Vandermeer and Treloar - also were fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back