Review Dogs def Norf 105-84

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a brutally tough game.

North were extremely physical, pretty much ignoring the rules and attacking contests, and our players, with reckless abandon.

It's a minor miracle that we didn't have more players out injured by the end of the match.
BTW I think Curtis deserves to be suspended for breaking Liam Jones's arm with that dangerous kick.

It's easy to look past the actual events that took place and get distracted by whether they met your pregame expectations or not.

Positives: Bont, Weightman and Treloar all played absolutely sensational games.
Negatives: Our goal kicking woes continued, and the umpires continue to allow way too many infringements to go unpenalised, effectively encouraging the continued use of such ultra-physical tactics against us.

Despite all the criticism Bevo has copped recently, perhaps it's time to give him a bit of credit. With key players down and lots of things going wrong, he made some moves during the match in reaction to immediate needs, and we ended up coming out on top.

The fact that we have tried so many different defensive combinations in recent times also means that we have still have options to go forward with in spite of our bad luck with injuries.

It's a long season and we are still well in contention for finals.

Go Dogs!

Cmon Tons 17.26 mins into the Kayo recording if you want to take another loook.

In what world is that Marras ball running back towards goal with the ball coming over his head, over Naughty standing literally directly under it in the square facing the ball.

Blaming Naughty for that is genuinely insane
When you are behind your teammate in a marking contest you always call him in and cover his back

We lost two key defenders in the first half, so yes, it was tough from that point and makes the win feel better.

Here’s a couple of points.
When Naughton went out of forward line, our forward line looked better in that there was more space, and Naughton wasn’t trying to ‘steal’ the ball off everyone. Now this is huge for mine. In the first quarter, a great ball got kicked into the goalsquare that had Jamarra’s name all over but guess who spoiled him? Our most selfish forward. Naughton. He does this quite regularly if you watch our games, Lobb and Jamarra had some chemistry I felt, even Weightman had more freedom to fly for marks and get on leads.

This is what I propose for our next game. Whether the ‘clown box’ of coaches we have go with it, I don’t know. Naughton stays back with Keith and Gardner. Maybe Cleary or Crozier replaces Duryea as he looks cooked. Sweet plays ruck, which lets English help Lobb and Jamarra forward with Cody/West/Scott/Hannan as smalls. West needs a run in the middle too. What do you all think?
I think you'd make a better coach than our current coach.

Surely you’ve got to give up the Naughton to the backline move now? He was as bad as Gardiner at his worst and he was on track for a 4-5 goal return to form game as well.

Much like the previous 3 weeks there were more positives than negatives but the negatives were horrible again. Soft goals, inexcusable errors and missing sitters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
We are an error prone team atm. If the lower rung players improve a good 10% we can do well.

This was a brutally tough game.

North were extremely physical, pretty much ignoring the rules and attacking contests, and our players, with reckless abandon.

It's a minor miracle that we didn't have more players out injured by the end of the match.
BTW I think Curtis deserves to be suspended for breaking Liam Jones's arm with that dangerous kick.

It's easy to look past the actual events that took place and get distracted by whether they met your pregame expectations or not.

Positives: Bont, Weightman and Treloar all played absolutely sensational games.
Negatives: Our goal kicking woes continued, and the umpires continue to allow way too many infringements to go unpenalised, effectively encouraging the continued use of such ultra-physical tactics against us.

Despite all the criticism Bevo has copped recently, perhaps it's time to give him a bit of credit. With key players down and lots of things going wrong, he made some moves during the match in reaction to immediate needs, and we ended up coming out on top.

The fact that we have tried so many different defensive combinations in recent times also means that we have still have options to go forward with in spite of our bad luck with injuries.

It's a long season and we are still well in contention for finals.

Go Dogs!
Why are we the only club that continually, year after year, have injuries to our key players?

Why are we the only club that continually, year after year, have injuries to our key players?
I'm not familiar with the stats regarding player injuries and club comparisons, and don't know if your statement is true. However, for the sake of discussion, let's assume you are correct.
There are two obvious injury concerns that might present.
1. If we are talking greater than normal soft tissue injuries related to muscle imbalances, etc. like hamstring injuries, then you might have to look at your training techniques and loads but also need to consider player histories, as some players are prone to such problems. I don't think we have had a particularly bad soft tissue record over the years. This season we have certainly had a few but it could be a bit of an aberration.

2. If there are more collision injuries than normal, you would have to look at game play tactics, both ours and opposition tactics against us. Personally, I think the latter is becoming a substantial problem, although I'm not sure how we go about fixing it. We can complain to the AFL umpiring department which I'm pretty sure we have tried in the past. We could also try to develop a larger supporter base to make the media take a greater interest in the way our players are treated. Obviously, the club continues to work on that solution but achieving improvements that way is a very long-term proposition. We could also try to develop a much bigger and stronger team through both recruitment and training. However, the risk there is that we just become like everyone else, but perhaps not quite as good because we might develop an imitator rather than innovator mindset.

A win at this time of the year is still 4 points. Was it great not even close but we have a great base to work from.

One thing that is clear we need to stop thinking the flea will ever be a traditional small forward. He is not. But he has most of Toby Greens attributes. It is how we should be thinking of him and how his role in the forward line should be developed. A really special player

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes I’ve been surprised how little praise he has received tonight. Nobody else has kicked 6 in a game for us this year. That is high production and high efficiency no matter how he goes about it. When we’re constantly complaining about our forward line inefficiency we should be giving him a standing ovation.

Probably very few have kicked more than six in a game at any club this year. He’s a class act.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who doesn’t think Lobb is that bad? Yeah he is not a great player but we didn’t really trade the farm to get him.

Reliable shot and provides valuable ruck minutes which were getting taken up by Bruce and Cordy last year. He’s not the best mark or a hugely skilful player but he definitely does a job for us. IMO he is not on the list of our top problems at the moment
Spot on. A lot of our fans have weird expectations on a guy that plays a pretty hard role, seriously how many decent fwd/2nd rucks are there? Did people think we were recruiting some Simon Madden/Buddy Franklin hybrid?

He was going fine as that goal a game/good relief ruck until Bevo shoved him on a wing to accomodate other bigs (mainly O’Donnell).

Felt he, JUH and a roaming Bont showed more chemistry than anything else we’ve seen down there. Lobb knows when to lead and create space elsewhere (they were trying to isolate Bont with smaller opponents in the 2nd half deeper - something we should do more often).

If that was Naughton, he’d get in the way and spoil a teammate.

Lobb is filling an important role. We definitely don’t want Cordy, Bruce or a developing (and not ready) Darcy instead of him.

Umpires were terrible today. That mark paid to zurhar that went straight up, Ziebull smashing Hannan etc

They literally gave norf players the green light to hit high and late at will. Disappointing

Keath is the slowest of slow with ball in hand. Has zero confidence in his kicking. Why no one runs past for the handball in our backline is beyond me.

Our forward line looked better without Naughton. In his press conference, Beveridge made it clear that Naughton down back is a last resort.
Therefore the coaches need to learn from this. Change the setup. Create more space.

I thought West and Hannan went OK. Not much input from VDM or McNeil.

Just got to take the win and move on, our underlining issues are still present. Missing easy set shots and letting opposition teams out far too easily, especially through the corridor.

The two injuries did allow us to see how some positional changes would work. Williams had to switch back 5 mins into Q1 which meant Macrae had to switch to the wing and he played there essentially for the entire match which I thought worked well considering the circumstances. I think Naughton back can work but he'll need to work on it over the break.

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 102 / 105 (+3)
NM: 75 / 84 (+9)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +27 / +21

Centre Bounce Attendance
29 - English
28 - Liberatore
27 - Bontempelli
26 - Treloar
13 - Daniel
3 - Lobb
2 - B. Smith

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
72 - English (32 / 11 / 4)
36 - Lobb (8 / 2 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 13
NM: 14

English v Goldstein (61 contests)
Hitouts: 28 / 24
To Advantage: 10 / 7
Clearances: 25 / 22
Score: 4.5 (29) / 3.2 (20)

English v Coleman-Jones (11 contests)
Hitouts: 4 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 3
Clearances: 7 / 2
Score: 1.0 (6) / 1.0 (6)

Lobb v Goldstein (33 contests)
Hitouts: 8 / 19
To Advantage: 2 / 4
Clearances: 10 / 11
Score: 0.2 (2) / 4.0 (24)

First Possessions
WB: 48

NM: 42

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 42 / 39
NM: 38 / 30

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 70%
NM: 51%

Spoil Efficiency
WB: 75%
NM: 70%

Smothers
WB: 11

NM: 6

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 58%
NM: 58%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 81%
NM: 70%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 10
NM: 8

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
NM: 6

Score Launches
4 - English, Treloar
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Dale, Hannan, Liberatore, Macrae, B. Smith
1 - Daniel, Keath, McNeil, Naughton, O’Brien, Scott, Vandemeer, West, Williams

Targets Inside 50 (Score % From Those Targets)

15 - No target/rushed (13%)
13 - Ugle-Hagen (38%)
13 - Weightman (62%)
7 - Lobb (57%)
5 - Naughton (40%)
4 - Hannan (50%)
2 - Bontempelli (100%)
2 - English (0%)
1 - Macrae (0%)
1 - McNeil (100%)
1 - West (0%)

Inside 50 Retention
WB: 54%
NM: 56%

Shots At Goal
WB: 33
NM: 19

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / North Melbourne)
Set Shot: 10.6 / 5.2
Snap: 3.4 / 2.1
On Run: 2.1 / 3.1
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 3.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 0.1 / 6.0
15M-30M: 4.2 / 2.0
31M-40M: 3.4 / 3.3
41M-50M: 8.4 / 2.1
51M+: 0.0 / 0.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.1 / 1.1
Scores In Time-On: 7.6 / 5.1
Scores Sourced From D50: 2.0 / 4.0

Score Assists
4 - Ugle-Hagen
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Baker, Daniel, B. Smith, West
1 - Hannan, Liberatore, Lobb, McNeil, Naughton, O’Brien, Treloar, Weightman, Williams

Disposals In WB F50
WB: 70
NM: 96

Disposals In NM F50
WB: 49
NM: 32

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14
NM: 34

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 2

NM: 12

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 13
NM: 32

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 41

NM: 27

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 9
NM: 14

Unforced Turnovers By Player
1 - Dale, Duryea, Keath, Naughton, Treloar, Ugle-Hagen, Scott, Weightman, West

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 0

NM: 3

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Duryea
1 - Liberatore, Naughton, Ugle-Hagen

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
169 - Bontempelli
142 - Treloar
133 - English
128 - Weightman
116 - Liberatore
103 - Daniel
95 - Dale
91 - B. Smith
82 - Macrae
82 - Ugle-Hagen
76 - Naughton
74 - Williams
68 - West
67 - Baker
64 - Keath
62 - Hannan
58 - McNeil
58 - Lobb
48 - Vandermeer
44 - O’Brien
33 - Duryea
33 - Scott
6 - L. Jones

AFL Player Rating Points
28.3 - Bontempelli
20.8 - Weightman
17.8 - Treloar
17.4 - English
15.9 - Liberatore
12.6 - Naughton
12.4 - McNeil
11.8 - Ugle-Hagen
11.2 - Dale
11.1 - West
10.8 - Williams
9.9 - Daniel
8.4 - Keath
8.2 - B. Smith
6.1 - Macrae
5.5 - O’Brien
5.2 - Vandermeer
5.0 - Baker
4.9 - Hannan
4.4 - Scott
3.9 - Lobb
1.1 - Duryea

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 63%
NM: 37%

Q2
WB: 66%
NM: 34%

Q3
WB: 60%
NM: 40%

Q4
WB: 59%
NM: 41%

Match
WB: 62%
NM: 38%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 187 (Average)
NM: 190 (Above Average)

Q2
WB: 184 (Average)
NM: 192 (Above Average)

Q3
WB: 200 (Elite)
NM: 176 (Below Average)

Q4
WB: 218 (Elite)
NM: 181 (Average)

Match
WB: 197 (Above Average)
NM: 185 (Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
93 - Liberatore
81 - Bontempelli
52 - Treloar
50 - McNeil
49 - B. Smith
42 - Daniel
39 - Macrae
33 - West
33 - Williams
33 - Duryea
31 - Weightman
29 - English
23 - Naughton
19 - Ugle-Hagen
19 - Vandermeer
17 - Baker
16 - Scott
14 - Lobb
14 - Keath
6 - Dale
5 - O’Brien
2 - L. Jones

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1716190

Score Sources

Scores From Stoppages: 5.7 / 8.2
Scores From Turnovers: 9.8 / 5.4
Scores From Kick-Ins: 1.0 / 0.0
McNeill showed some good traits despite being one of our whipping boys. I hope he gets an extended run, I think he will develop into a very handy player.

Umpires were terrible today. That mark paid to zurhar that went straight up, Ziebull smashing Hannan etc

They literally gave norf players the green light to hit high and late at will. Disappointing

Keath is the slowest of slow with ball in hand. Has zero confidence in his kicking. Why no one runs past for the handball in our backline is beyond me.
The 50m not paid to Cody was a ******* joke, could have done serious damage cannoning directly into his back after he’d completed the mark.

Or breaking a guys arm by trying to kick a ball off the ground.

But hey he didn’t rub his forehead across a blade of grass so can’t be considered dangerous!!!

The sports a joke atm

I thought the second half was encouraging in as much as they collectively put in after being a couple of rotations down for the majority of the match. They were able to focus on getting across the line when it would be easy to start thinking about their holiday plans. Bont was absolutely stellar in that second half, both from a skill and leadership perspective. Get the job done....then go on holiday.

There is some cause for optimism in the second half of the year. Port are a very good side and we gave ourselves a decent look at beating them in both encounters save for some poor conversion and howling turnovers.

No doubt a bit of tweaking is needed. A couple of personnel adjustments and positional changes might be considered. I'd be surprised if we didn't make September from here. A gradual build through the back half of the year, the return of JJ, Red and Jones (L), Jones (A) with some rest/recovery and rediscovering his zip and things could happen.

All in all, that was a pretty underwhelming performance. The amount of forward entry for the amount of goals kicked was very poor.
Easy goals against out the back shows a poor defensive setup.
Great performances by the skipper, Weightman and Treloar have papered over massive cracks.
We are pretty ordinary and with our personnel that's indefensible.

Sometimes you just need to find a way to win games especially when you have injuries during the game to deal with and you know the team is not humming as it should be either due to form drop or injuries.

I recall Sir Alex Ferguson discussing winning titles in the EPL and he said a key component to winning is minimising the damage when you know the team has lost confidence or is going through a slump (which will occur at some point he noted). The key he said was to minimise that period in terms of how long it lasts and just as important find ways to get points either a draw or a win and you do whatever you can achieve that no matter how ugly it may look.

I think we did that this week and not the last 2 or 3 weeks.

There are somethings that are issues week in week out and yes they need to be sorted as long term these will be ultimately harmful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back