Review Dogs def Norf 105-84

Remove this Banner Ad

They hate Bont for something something someone Thomas.
One North poster on here actually believes Bont calling Thomas clothesline style tackle that sent Hunter to hospital as having malice, was racism towards Thomas and drove Thomas out of the game. That is how messed in the head their base is.

Can't remember which thread it was on, but was a couple weeks ago and they were quite adamant and aggressive about it, and kept spamming posts about it despite being unrelated to the thread itself. Talk about playing the card or reaching hard.

One North poster on here actually believes Bont calling Thomas clothesline style tackle that sent Hunter to hospital as having malice, was racism towards Thomas and drove Thomas out of the game. That is how messed in the head their base is.

Can't remember which thread it was on, but was a couple weeks ago and they were quite adamant and aggressive about it, and kept spamming posts about it despite being unrelated to the thread itself. Talk about playing the card or reaching hard.
Any Norf fan trying to argue anything about cheap shots only needs to remember they have that hack Jack Ziebell in their team. Absolute coward of a player.

Any Norf fan trying to argue anything about cheap shots only needs to remember they have that hack Jack Ziebell in their team. Absolute coward of a player.
Even that team back then, had some of the biggest divers and cheap shots in the league at the time. Pretty sure one got suspended often. So they cannot talk indeed.

Last edited:
Even that team back then, had some of the biggest divers and cheap shots in the league at the time. Pretty sure one got suspended often. So they cannot talk indeed.

Speaking of which, I saw Michael Firrito at the game yesterday. Walked past him and was surprised he didn't throw out an arm in the general direction of my neck/head.

(I'm sure he's actually a nice bloke, but that team was fairly "unsociable" if I remember correctly)

On the game, I don't care about the margin. Even the best teams don't always beat up on the bottom teams. North have been competitive in a few of their recent matches and made teams earn their wins.

First half was poor though. Same story that has been part of Bevos teams since forever. Massive inside 50 total, but didn't reflect on the scoreboard. Meanwhile North where insanely efficient with their few entries. Both areas a concern going forward.

Was quite happy with our forward line in the second half though. Been awhile since we hit targets with kicks and had some space. No coincidence that Cody has been good the last two weeks. I've noticed he has been played in the goal square on his own a few times the past two weeks as well, been finding more space and getting hit with good kicks. I trust the ball in his hands more than any other player right now.

First half was poor though. Same story that has been part of Bevos teams since forever. Massive inside 50 total, but didn't reflect on the scoreboard. Meanwhile North where insanely efficient with their few entries. Both areas a concern going forward.

Makes me wonder if we have stats for this year and/or last year on our own i50 efficiency (goals per entry) compared to our opponents' i50 efficiency (a) playing against us and (b) compared to the league average. Oliver Gigacz is this something you might be able to find?

My reason for asking is that it may not be just that we're less efficient than most teams i50 (which is bad enough) but also that teams that play us get a higher than normal efficiency themselves for reasons that we often speculate about ... e.g. our high press exposes us to quick slingshot goals and joe the gooses, our defensive structure issues, our weakness in intercepting apart from Liam Jones and Richards (both injured now), our aversion to using the corridor going forward of the centre, our lack of pace on the wings, our poor i50 delivery, the cloggiing up and lack of cohesion in the forward line, etc etc.

If so, then it's a double-whammy: we make it harder for ourselves to score and we make it easier for our opponents. It means we have to work so much harder than other teams just to stay level with them. That in turn might explain why we win so many of the important stats like CPs, clearances, i50s, etc but struggle to get over the line. It might also explain the frustration frequently reported here that "we never seem to have an easy win, we always make it such hard work".

Sweet is a ruckman

Lobb is a forward who rucks occasionally. He had Darcy at Freo and English at the Dogs now.

Lobb should be judged on how he performs as a forward as opposed to a ruck.

Sweet should be judged how he goes as a ruck as opposed to a forward
Like all of them he should be judged by how he competes and doesn’t know how. He’s not 23yld he’s 30yld on a 4 year deal. He was in the ruck for 33 contests we kicked 2pts North 4gls. He’s 207cm not 195 just compete

If he ends up with 25-30 goals this year and keeps chopping out English, I have zero problems with the trade. Plus he can actually kick a set shot.

He’s on track for his 2nd best goals return since 2016.

I think supporters need to pretend Sweet’s playing every game. But we can add an extra 25-30 goals and a heap of marks per season to his output.

Surely you’ve got to give up the Naughton to the backline move now? He was as bad as Gardiner at his worst and he was on track for a 4-5 goal return to form game as well.

Much like the previous 3 weeks there were more positives than negatives but the negatives were horrible again. Soft goals, inexcusable errors and missing sitters.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Exactly the reason we should have kept Joshua Schache- the ultimate mediocre swing man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones with a fractured radius so would have to be a 4-6 week absence. Wonder if Bevo might be tempted to leave Naughts back?

Makes me wonder if we have stats for this year and/or last year on our own i50 efficiency (goals per entry) compared to our opponents' i50 efficiency (a) playing against us and (b) compared to the league average. Oliver Gigacz is this something you might be able to find?

My reason for asking is that it may not be just that we're less efficient than most teams i50 (which is bad enough) but also that teams that play us get a higher than normal efficiency themselves for reasons that we often speculate about ... e.g. our high press exposes us to quick slingshot goals and joe the gooses, our defensive structure issues, our weakness in intercepting apart from Liam Jones and Richards (both injured now), our aversion to using the corridor going forward of the centre, our lack of pace on the wings, our poor i50 delivery, the cloggiing up and lack of cohesion in the forward line, etc etc.

If so, then it's a double-whammy: we make it harder for ourselves to score and we make it easier for our opponents. It means we have to work so much harder than other teams just to stay level with them. That in turn might explain why we win so many of the important stats like CPs, clearances, i50s, etc but struggle to get over the line. It might also explain the frustration frequently reported here that "we never seem to have an easy win, we always make it such hard work".

Those stats would be interesting, because I’d put decent money on your hypothesis being proven.

I’m sure we do get joe the goose goals, but my (probably selective) memory is working against me because I can’t remember many in recent history.

Whereas North got a couple and actually screwed up at least one more.

Would be interesting to see the stats but gut feel is that’s exactly how it is. It’s the trade off you pay for our forward half territory game half - the balls played in our half so the negatives are we usually have a crammed forward line to play in, I’d suggest the idea here is this means there’s less opportunities for the opposition to score and in theory protect our defence. But it also means when the opposition does get it out, which inevitably they will - it leads to easier scoring shots.

My gripe is I just don’t think that style really suits the make up of our team. Our backline is slow and not great at intercepting/reading the play, I’d prefer them to play a more defensive style set back further and I think that’d give them more chance of defending. We have really strong half back flankers - possibly one of the best mixes in the comp - so I’d love to employ a modern slingshot style which actually utilises our half backs and allows them to run and gun and move the ball quick and direct through the corridor - this style of slow, wide build up into a congested front half completely neutralises our half back strength by grinding them into boring, stale movement options. It’s cutting their flair out completely.

We also have two fantastic athletic forwards that could both thrive playing high, and then pushing back towards goal beating their opponents for leg speed and athleticism, rather than being expected to sit under high ball after high ball which doesn’t really suit them. Yes Naughty is a great mark but he’s a better mark on the move than just wrestling in a pack. Him & Marra pushing high and then running back towards goal in an open forward line would beat almost any defender - but we don’t give them this opportunity because we prefer to play the game with the ball but also 36 players living in our front half

Just got around to watching some of the highlights from TV.

Can anyone explain how a late hit on Weightman with no intention of playing the ball was not a 50m penalty? It looked bad in real time from the other side of the ground

Can anyone explain how a late hit on Weightman with no intention of playing the ball was not a 50m penalty? It looked bad in real time from the other side of the ground
That was carp, should've been 50 but he still goaled

Only in two rounds of the 2023 season the Bulldogs have kicked more goals then points. Ugh

On CPH2305 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Fake news!!! 10.7.67 v Lions, 17.16.118 v Dockers, 14.10.94 v Hawks, 13.8.86 v GWS, 13.7.85 v Port.

Plus another 3 rounds of same goals as behinds (which is still not great) :$

Can anyone explain why no one went over and flew the flag for flea?

He was not a handy forward last year. He looked slow. He has been a liability both forward and back since his ACL unfortunately. His game last week was up there with Ryan Gardner’s top 10 worst games 😱

A 30yo 199cm KPP comes back after 12 months, and we went from 10th to finals in the games he played. Yes he was slow, also re-adjusting to the pace of AFL. He also made our forward line look more organised (but not more accurate) with his experience. As I've said elsewhere, Bruce provides more cover or space for fellow forwards than Naughton, as he knows when to create separation, or block. I'm not saying push Naughton back necessarily, but Bruce has him covered for forward-nous.

What was the quarter / time of this one?

Because Footy is the most inconsistently officiated sport in the world. We also had a protected area 50 paid against us, there are 10 of them every game that go unpunished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back