Review Dogs 126 def Tigers 71

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I've seen any commentary on it but I liked how Bont went forward in the second half and snagged three sausages.

Just when the opposition is congratulating itself on quietening a rampant Marra and keeping Naughton and Weightman to 1 or 2 each along comes the best player in the comp 194cm Bontempelli to take contested marks or win free kicks within a range that even he couldn't miss.

In the absence of any intelligence to the contrary I'm giving credit to Bevo for this productive in-game move. The other options are Spangher (surely not, he'd have to get a clearance from the midfield coach anyway) or perhaps Bont just taking it upon himself (not totally out of the realms of possibility).

A useful Ace to keep up the coach's sleeve.

A couple of Poulters handballs and kicks are a bit loopy, whereas if you watch Treloar’s they are razor sharp and don’t make a teammate stop and jump which kills momentum.
Yes...but Treloar is paid $900k per annum. Poulter would be on close to the minimum. Poulter as a value for money pickup has been excellent so far.

I don't think I've seen any commentary on it but I liked how Bont went forward in the second half and snagged three sausages.

Just when the opposition is congratulating itself on quietening a rampant Marra and keeping Naughton and Weightman to 1 or 2 each along comes the best player in the comp 194cm Bontempelli to take contested marks or win free kicks within a range that even he couldn't miss.

In the absence of any intelligence to the contrary I'm giving credit to Bevo for this productive in-game move. The other options are Spangher (surely not, he'd have to get a clearance from the midfield coach anyway) or perhaps Bont just taking it upon himself (not totally out of the realms of possibility).

A useful Ace to keep up the coach's sleeve.
It was only a week too late. Bont should have gone to full forward last week as soon as it was apparent that Ward's tag was working.

It was only a week too late. Bont should have gone to full forward last week as soon as it was apparent that Ward's tag was working.
Yes I didn't want to add that bit, lest anyone think I had it in for Bevo.

Pretty simple game football sometimes. When we take the game on with run and carry rather than chipping it wide and going slow look how open the forward line was and how many 1 on 1s we had rather than 10 players flying for the same mark. Felt like watching the giants 2nd half last week in reverse. Lobb is useless in pack marking but he's a good mark on the lead and 1 on 1 and he finally had the chance to do that last night.

Ed and jj back in makes a massive difference to our team. We've missed their run and their ability to take the game on so much.

Like some others said, i really enjoyed the game last night after really not enjoying watching us of late. Great win let's keep it going. Go dogs

perhaps Bont just taking it upon himself (not totally out of the realms of possibility).
I think that’s entirely possible, even probable. Bevo would trust Bont to do what he thinks might work. He is in the best position to make that kind of judgement occasionally and obviously he has a huge sense of responsibility to do whatever it takes to influence the game.

But who would defend or attempt to defend the middle of the ground. Robbing Peter to pay Paul and Paul couldn't be arsed last week.
This is a simple tactic that is used regularly to shake or nullify a tag. It's not that hard to figure out. Expose the tagger...shake the tag...or kick a bag of goals. It happens in various forms dozens of times a season (except for the Bulldogs.) It doesn't expose the middle of the ground.

This is a simple tactic that is used regularly to shake or nullify a tag. It's not that hard to figure out. Expose the tagger...shake the tag...or kick a bag of goals. It happens in various forms dozens of times a season (except for the Bulldogs.) It doesn't expose the middle of the ground.
A little tongue in cheek Mutt. I know why they do it but couldn't resist a drive by on the fwd half defense or lack thereof from a number of players in the GWS game. Fortunately, the arse kicking they received during the week saw an improvement this week.

So it seems Bevo doesn't just play JOD because he's one of his favourites... The match committee see that huge amount of hidden talent, and despite how raw he is, he's already at a similar level to Keath and Gardner etc but with a whole lot more room to grow. Some of his composure and disposal was very impressive too. Still plenty of work with his positioning and timing intercepts / defensive body work, but im confident that will come and he is a fascinating development piece for our list.

Vandermeer was excellent also and he is such an important part of that 16-22 bottom end of our 22 that we need playing at a high level, so that we aren't just relying on Bont and Libba etc to carry us over the line. Laith is a really talented, lightning quick runner that I really hope can find consistency with his body and cement a spot in the 22.

Finally West has always been a favourite of mine and he really gives us a different dimension that not a lot of other guys have. Vicious tackler and often a lot cleaner than others around him when the ball is bobbling around or a quick pick up and handball is needed. I really really hope he stays in the 22 for the rest of the year because he has locked in a spot for me in that forward line. Sets up a lot of scoring chances and a nice compliment around Lobb / Marra / Naughty.
I watched the replay of the game in Spain. We looked good, because our movement off the back was fast and smooth. As you say not having slow poor skilled players under pressure like Gardner and Keith kills our ball movement. It looked like a different team. Also, I eat back my opinion about West. He is developing really well with hardness and hitting the score. Well done Westie. WE ARE A REAL CHANCE I RECKON! I arrive on the Thursday ready to watch our third triumphant FLAG!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the replay of the game in Spain. We looked good, because our movement off the back was fast and smooth. As you say not having slow poor skilled players under pressure like Gardner and Keith kills our ball movement. It looked like a different team. Also, I eat back my opinion about West. He is developing really well with hardness and hitting the score. Well done Westie. WE ARE A REAL CHANCE I RECKON! I arrive on the Thursday ready to watch our third triumphant FLAG!!!
You should change your name to perro_optimista, you crazy thing.

Bring your gypsy half-sister with you.

Pretty simple game football sometimes. When we take the game on with run and carry rather than chipping it wide and going slow look how open the forward line was and how many 1 on 1s we had rather than 10 players flying for the same mark. Felt like watching the giants 2nd half last week in reverse. Lobb is useless in pack marking but he's a good mark on the lead and 1 on 1 and he finally had the chance to do that last night.

Ed and jj back in makes a massive difference to our team. We've missed their run and their ability to take the game on so much.

Like some others said, i really enjoyed the game last night after really not enjoying watching us of late. Great win let's keep it going. Go dogs
Ed and JJ are important, but it's remarkable how much Jones straightens us up because he's as aggressively attacking as any of our half back smalls.

Contrast this with the guys we were forced to shoe horn into fullback for 10 long weeks of mediocre form. Neither Gardner nor Bruce are terribly agile nor reliably able to mark or clear the ball by hand or foot. Keath is better in this regard, but is suspect and prone to lapses of judgment when dragged to the last line. He's much better when given freedom of movement further top the ground.

His return takes a lot of pressure off the likes of Dale who'd been forced to take more and more creative measures to clear the ball out of a defence that couldn't do it for weeks due to the long absence of JJ and Richards.

Its crazy how reliant we are on a 32 year old returning to the game, but here we are.

Last edited:

This is the most obvious thing teams can do against us. Put a complete tag on Bont - don’t even look at the ball and then belt into English to slow him down - knee in the ribs and wrestle every time you can.

I like how the team has a plan where Macrae plays the Bont role with Trelor and Libba and Bont roams - forward or wherever. It’s not perfect - we start losing clearances but Bont becomes as dangerous in another role - like having a great midfielder and James Hird in the same person. We need a few more games for Macrae to step up but he is doing a great job. What would help even more is Smith providing breakout. Trelor is so important in this role.

Lobb has been important in taking genuine ruck minutes but not sure how this works when the ruck is Gawn. Probably need English to get meaner!

Westy looked clean-as Friday night.

Dear Lord - please no inferior players from the seconds (no need for names) over Westy, nor playing him as a sub. He is a lock in our 22 and is a genuine hard-arse.
As always, any post that has the proper Australian spelling of arse gets a like from me.

As always, any post that has the proper Australian spelling of arse gets a like from me.
If I could redirect you to this post

And this one

You owe me 2 likes

If I could redirect you to this post

And this one

You owe me 2 likes
Done. You really kick arse, NW!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back