Review Dogs def Norf 105-84

Remove this Banner Ad

The few examples of flag-flying for team-mates in recent years I can think of are Liber (no surprise), and Lewis Young (I think the 2021 final v Ess in Launceston).
Compare that to, say, our 97-98 teams, where any fracas would attract Wynd, Liber snr, Dimma, Romero, Grant, Southern, Ellis, Kretiuk, and Dent, amongst others.
In that era, I sat close to the fence at Princes Park with an oppo-supporting mate, who thought Ellis and Wynd were clean skins. About 5 mins apart they both cleaned up North opponents close to us with beautifully timed bumps and we heard the impact clearly (even with, as I recall, a decent crowd). Ellis also applied a nice little 'love tap' that game to a midriff which we saw but the field umpires didn't, as he made sure the angle worked in his favour. I emjoyed that, my mate not so much.
Bit more off topic, but I used to laugh at some of our supporters who berated Ellis for being a pretty boy, ie 'soft'. The bloke was 189cm, built like a flanker, and constantly asked to play on taller/heavier CHFs. Was also a good mark, and good kick. If we'd had the luxury of 2 Grants, and one had played CHB through that 97-2000 era, Ellis could have got off the leash a lot more on a flank. The major flaw in that Wallace era was that Croft was the only genuine KPD size, and even he was only 191cm.

AFLCA votes vs North Melbourne

• Marcus Bontempelli (WB) – 9 votes
  • Cody Weightman (WB) – 9
  • Tom Liberatore (WB) – 3
  • Adam Treloar (WB) – 3
  • Tim English (WB) – 3
  • Tarryn Thomas (NMFC) – 2
  • Harry Sheezel (NMFC) – 1

Makes me wonder if we have stats for this year and/or last year on our own i50 efficiency (goals per entry) compared to our opponents' i50 efficiency (a) playing against us and (b) compared to the league average. Oliver Gigacz is this something you might be able to find?

My reason for asking is that it may not be just that we're less efficient than most teams i50 (which is bad enough) but also that teams that play us get a higher than normal efficiency themselves for reasons that we often speculate about ... e.g. our high press exposes us to quick slingshot goals and joe the gooses, our defensive structure issues, our weakness in intercepting apart from Liam Jones and Richards (both injured now), our aversion to using the corridor going forward of the centre, our lack of pace on the wings, our poor i50 delivery, the cloggiing up and lack of cohesion in the forward line, etc etc.

If so, then it's a double-whammy: we make it harder for ourselves to score and we make it easier for our opponents. It means we have to work so much harder than other teams just to stay level with them. That in turn might explain why we win so many of the important stats like CPs, clearances, i50s, etc but struggle to get over the line. It might also explain the frustration frequently reported here that "we never seem to have an easy win, we always make it such hard work".

WB Goals Per Inside 50 In The Bevo Era (For / Against)
WBFA.png

Competition average...
CFA.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few being a bit harsh with Sunday’s game. I thought we did pretty well under the circumstances.

Our half back line depleted with no JJ and Richards. Those two are massive losses.
We lose our best key defender in the first 2min and our 3rd tall defender before half time, resulting in us having to move our most damaging fwd in the first half, to the backline.

We dominated most kpi’s including a massive 72-36 inside 50 count. We moved the ball better than we had the last few weeks. Quite a few players had better weeks than ones prior.

Goal kicking still an issue and some ooor turnovers, but as a whole I think we should be pretty happy. North aren’t as bad as the ladder suggests and they’d had some pretty strong performances in the month prior.

Only issues I have with the win was our lack of inside 50 effectiveness. Will lose us more game moving forward if not even partially corrected.

Hopefully we settle after the bye round better than other teams have. Losses seem to be a pretty common occurrence.

The journey to finals has now become more difficult with the growing injury list.
If we can get there, having all of JJ, Richards and Jones back should pump a bit of wind in to our sails. Hopefully hit first week with confidence and some momentum.

Last edited:
AFLCA votes vs North Melbourne

• Marcus Bontempelli (WB) – 9 votes
  • Cody Weightman (WB) – 9
  • Tom Liberatore (WB) – 3
  • Adam Treloar (WB) – 3
  • Tim English (WB) – 3
  • Tarryn Thomas (NMFC) – 2
  • Harry Sheezel (NMFC) – 1

Thomas?! What game are these votes from, because anyone who thought he was fourth best on ground on Sunday shouldn’t be allowed near a vote for anything ever again.

Can anyone explain why no one went over and flew the flag for flea?
McNeil had a very brief think about it, but Westy had some words and then continued them after the goal was kicked too. I love West in the side over the McCombs, McNeil's, Hannans etc. He brings that competitive streak we lack I think, even if he's being played out of his favoured position and isn't racking up the stats.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disgusting that wasn't a 40pt win. Had the momentum but giving up easy goals due to our whole team structure just kills all confidence we have around the ground.

I doubt we win a game without Jones tbh.

Just on Hannan, he made some mistakes but he is usually in the play and in the right spots. His replacements could very well have no impact on the game and get a handful of touches. Thought he was alright.
Please... we are definitely able to win without Jones. In fact we just did win without him

Last edited:
A handful of elite footballers are papering over the cracks of a dysfunctional system and uninspiring off field corps.

It's worrying that we have young players with serious talent just getting yeeted about from position to position in this system.
I think Bevo's philosophy is to play young players in different positions at different times to give them a taste of what is required. This sometimes works really well and sometimes it doesn't. It is his philosophy of developing players. When it works it brings really good results as in 2015-16 when he played players like MBoyd in the backline. It looked awful in the beginning, but in the end it worked wonders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back