Review Dogs def Norf 105-84

Remove this Banner Ad

With the exception of our usual yips in front of goal I'm not sure what else we expected from the team last night. The loss of Jones was crucial in that it allowed Larkey to out- muscle Keath to kick important goals. We know that Keath struggles one on one with anybody of decent size.
With two key backs down it forced changes which unbalanced the team structure but we were able to roll with the punches and cope.
Our mids were all fantastic and played strong pressure football for four quarters.
The lesser lights made useful contributions and we were treated to a brilliant circus act by Weightman.
North are a developing side now, not a hopeless case as per recent seasons and they have nothing to lose by playing an aggressive, attacking style. Despite our deficiencies, we were able to stick at it and control the game except for the times when our depleted backline gave up a few easy chances.e.g Naughton's howler in the last quarter.
All in all, we are missing some important players who are difficult to replace and that means we have to dip into the pool of fringe types. We desperately need a rest after a tough recent campaign and hopefully the missing troops can return to the trenches soon.

Worst coverage of a game l have seen in years. WTF with the Tom Hawkins shows and shots of the 3 flogs in the commentary box 4 times a qtr. If that doesnt get you Dermie will. l cant beleive l pay for this crap. Just call the game. Its not all about me me me. Footy was ok. Forward line a shambles. No tempo plays in last qtr. Ratten could do better with our list.
I thought it was hilarious that Derm was exiled to the outer. Maybe the other commentators have had enough of him, at long last.
Even the crowd socially distanced from him :D

Last edited:

Yes I’ve been surprised how little praise he has received tonight. Nobody else has kicked 6 in a game for us this year. That is high production and high efficiency no matter how he goes about it. When we’re constantly complaining about our forward line inefficiency we should be giving him a standing ovation.

Probably very few have kicked more than six in a game at any club this year. He’s a class act.
Ive been banging on for a couple of years that he isn't the answer to our small forward dilemma.

He's the answer to our medium forward dilemma. He's a mini Naughton but with much better forward nous.

Two genuine tall's and Weightman. I dont really care which combination of JUH, Naughton, Lobb, Bruce or Darcy it is. It just needs to be two. The 3-4 headed monster experiment needs to be slain. It's an issue compounded by the fact that Weightman is at heart a small tall and that the Bont rests down there. It hasn't shown any indication that it will work. Indeed I think it's been to the detriment of the sides performance all season.

The answer to our ongoing dilemma of a genuine crumbing/pressure small forwards remains somewhat elusive.

Maybe it's Jones. Maybe it's McNeil. Maybe it's Clarke. Maybe...

Bont 1st half: 11 disposals, 3 clearances, 0.1 goals

Bont 2nd half: 21 disposals, 5 clearances, 3.0 goals

Always happy with a win, but needing Bont to turn it on like that just to squeak past North is a clear message about where we are at.

Talent compensating for system.

This wasn't just a question of a gun having had enough and once again putting the entire teams performance on his shoulders.

I have no doubt that he was given an injection into his troublesome hip during the long break.

Last edited:
Re: Lobb.

As I was someone nearly driven insane by Beveridge’s ruck tactics since 2017, I’m just happy that we have a decent-ish second/relief ruckman.

If he is kicking 1-2 goals a game, even better.

He‘s hardly a star ruckman, and Goldstein (who is quality) had the better of Lobb in general, but I don’t think he was disgraced or anything.

I‘m hardly his biggest fan, but he fills a need that we’ve needed for years.
As a matter of interest, how much better is Lobb than Sweet?

I haven't read all this thread yet, but Williams hasn't cracked a mention so far. I thought he was very good and so did Bevo :)

Yes I’ve been surprised how little praise he has received tonight. Nobody else has kicked 6 in a game for us this year. That is high production and high efficiency no matter how he goes about it. When we’re constantly complaining about our forward line inefficiency we should be giving him a standing ovation.

Probably very few have kicked more than six in a game at any club this year. He’s a class act.
Even if all his goals come from free kicks.... sarcasm emoji

I think he only got one FK last night but not near goal.

Funny how that pathetic excuse for a footballer Ziebell can just clean up Duryea with a mistimed spoil and it isn't mentioned once by the commentators. Or McKay gives away the easiest 50 of the year when he clobbers Cody and it doesn't even rate a mention.

As a matter of interest, how much better is Lobb than Sweet?

I haven't read all this thread yet, but Williams hasn't cracked a mention so far. I thought he was very good and so did Bevo :)
Significantly Sweet has no forward nous at all and couldn't get a shot at goal as a forward in a 100 point win last year

Significantly Sweet has no forward nous at all and couldn't get a shot at goal as a forward in a 100 point win last year

Sweet is a ruckman

Lobb is a forward who rucks occasionally. He had Darcy at Freo and English at the Dogs now.

Lobb should be judged on how he performs as a forward as opposed to a ruck.

Sweet should be judged how he goes as a ruck as opposed to a forward

Sweet is a ruckman

Lobb is a forward who rucks occasionally. He had Darcy at Freo and English at the Dogs now.

Lobb should be judged on how he performs as a forward as opposed to a ruck.

Sweet should be judged how he goes as a ruck as opposed to a forward
If Sweet wants to play in the AFL he will be judged as a forward

Any match where you lose two KPD before half time and win you take. Not sure why people expected a 10 goal win (which we would’ve got if we kicked straight) when that happened.

Desperately missing JJ and Ed. They’re not coming back soon so that needs to be addressed over the bye.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess who the no 1 team for clearances was from round 9 onwards ?

North ! So we did alright there . I was a bit concerned early on that Goldstein would bully English but the big man improved as the game progressed .

The match was in the balance until we pulled away late with Bont & Cody brilliance . Everything was difficult , then suddenly it was easy . Good stuff with two players injured early .

It was good to see Mitch Wallis queuing up for chips like a regular citizen on level 1. Though he did get in the special lift after . Maybe they only have caviar and prawn sandwiches in the VIP area .

If Sweet wants to play in the AFL he will be judged as a forward

If Sweet want to play in the AFL he will need to go to another club that plays him solely as a ruck with all his attributes and lack of attributes.

He will not be playing AFL at the Dogs. The type of ruck we want is not Sweet.

Guess who the no 1 team for clearances was from round 9 onwards ?

North ! So we did alright there . I was a bit concerned early on that Goldstein would bully English but the big man improved as the game progressed .

The match was in the balance until we pulled away late with Bont & Cody brilliance . Everything was difficult , then suddenly it was easy . Good stuff with two players injured early .

It was good to see Mitch Wallis queuing up for chips like a regular citizen on level 1. Though he did get in the special lift after . Maybe they only have caviar and prawn sandwiches in the VIP area .
We will never know.

If Sweet want to play in the AFL he will need to go to another club that plays him solely as a ruck with all his attributes and lack of attributes.

He will not be playing AFL at the Dogs. The type of ruck we want is not Sweet.
He will not have very many options to choose from then,

Yes he is a ruck only but as the question was posed is the gap between him and Lobb big and the answer is clearly yes for the role

Pretty crap win, but Norf got within a goal of Sydney and Essendon at the same venue, plus our best tall defender got injured early first quarter and our best tall forward and leading goalkicker had to play defence. Would have been a respectable win with decent kicking for goal.

He will not have very many options to choose from then,

Yes he is a ruck only but as the question was posed is the gap between him and Lobb big and the answer is clearly yes for the role
Lobb's been given 8 or so underwhelming games in a row so far to prove that in our system he's average.
How many games in a row has Sweet been given to prove anything?

Lobb's been given 8 or so underwhelming games in a row so far to prove that in our system he's average.
Lobb is a Forward Ruck and something we need.

Sweet is a ruck only, and not needed unless English gets injured. He'd be sitting on the pine when he's not rucking because he's not much chop up forward.

Hardly comparable

Sweet has played 11 games to show he is at best a back up ruckman and a traffic cone as a forward

Lobb is a Forward Ruck and something we need.

Sweet is a ruck only, and not needed unless English gets injured. He'd be sitting on the pine when he's not rucking because he's not much chop up forward.

Hardly comparable
Old mate Foxman98 was the person comparing them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back