Review Dogs 115 def Suns 67

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it just me, or was there no Game Day thread today? Not showing on my screen anywhere I can see.

p.s. Good win Dogs. That's the sort of effort we need to be seeing every single game.
The GDT was started by doggies ftw.

Do you have him on ignore? If so, that would explain it.

Here's a link.

Pretty tame compared to last week's edition.

Our intensity today was much improved on last week.
We looked soft against Melbourne.
I didn't like Gawn roughing up Harmes with no response.
It reminded me of JJ getting the treatment from Sydney with no response.
Today, at least, we were prepared to throw our weight around.

May screaming into Harmes face with no push back from us was a really bad look. You could see Harmes was shaken, no support from his new team mates.

Last edited:
I'm afraid that my friends might ask me over for Easter lunch. They did last year. I'd rather stay home and watch the game on my laptop. So what should I choose? The pork roast or a Lucky Meal pizza?

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pork roast and take your laptop. also order a pizza and have it as an entree. why not both?

Libba and Bont were fantastic in the middle. Ed Richards and Liam Jones down back. Weightman and Jamarra up forward. English much better.
Still don’t know what Vandermeer offers?
Probably the hardest Vanders has been … he was in 2 fights, and appeared injured but came back on. What a unit.

Sam Darcy IN.

Permanently.

How much of a difference did he make?

Around the ground, in the ruck, takes marks, kicks a few goals, he absolutely has to be played from now on.

Good response from last week’s shitshow.

And to the people saying “Where are the Bevo bashers now?”:

- We put in a good show against a side notorious for being unable to win away.

- Our response today was good, and much needed.

- The anger and the criticism for Beveridge after the Melbourne was entirely justified.
Bevo is a spud coach, except for when we win.

Treloar was excellent in the first half. ALWAYS bounces back from a quiet game.

Same goes for Libba. Nine tackles.

Weightman. Need I say more.

Richards was probably BOG until that injury.

Darcy just added so much. Should never play VFL again if fit.

Bont Libba and Sanders top 3 for clearances today. Didn’t let Rowell do whatever he wanted and didn’t let their forwards get off the hook like the Darwin game last year.
was really disappointed in weightman. he kicked five goals in the first quarter and only managed 1 in the final quarter. he should have kicked twenty goals. useless small forward. btw the only thing that annoys me about him is that he always goes for high flying marks. if he stayed to crumb the ball, he would have kicked another two goals. if he improves that aspect of the game, he will kick 3 to 5 goals each week.

Knocked off work in the city at 5am, followed by a two hour trip home, and a measly 3.5 hour sleep. And then up again, for an hour or so trip to Ballarat. Was hoping that myself and the team wouldn't be flat today.

But what a great day it was.

Firstly, the reactions and over the top melts through out the week. Are normally reserved for if we were 0-5, or 1-4. Not one freaking game in the season. People saying they hope this player gets injured, or that you hope that we would lose. Was all pathetic as. Do better!

Back to the game. First time in Ballarat. Not even sure what is up with some of the criticisms of the venue. Surface was immaculate, views good, could smell the grass, the weather amazing. Had a real suburban footy vibe to it, unlike that soulless venue we call Marvel. Was the best game day vibe I have gotten to experience in years.

That first quarter. Was exactly how I want us to play. Direct and with dare. Ended up being our best opening quarter in awhile. But I was still nervous. Because even last year, we had many good opening quarters, only to let teams back into it in junk time during the second quarter. And then come out flat in the third and be run over for the rest of the game. For a moment it felt like the same script. So I was impressed we were able to put our foot down in the last quarter, whilst kicking into the wind.

All three inclusions played well today. Loved the work of the defence. Thought they played well last week as well, but were left exposed by the rest of the team being poor in the last quarter last week. Richards, Jones and Khamis picked off heaps of the footy today.

Saw someone laugh off Darcy, Sanders, Gallagher in the game day thread. Not sure what game you were watching. But they won like two clearances and had an eventual goal when they were together. The Suns got the run on when the experienced heads returned, and because we made stupid decisions and gave away free kicks every where. Thought it was great that we were able to lead by enough to put some developmental work into them.

I don't care if anyone thinks Gallagher isn't cut out to be an inside player. We all know he is predominantly a outside type. But nothing teaches you to improve your inside game, than actually being thrown in there. Sanders ball use improved this week, aside from one funny out on the full which went like 5m and sprayed very wide. Darcy picked off some hard park marks, where our other talls struggled at times.

Weightman had an insane opening quarter, and still found ways to keep himself relevant for most of the game. I thought he was going to end up with 10 goals at one point. Some of it was from flying for the ball, but some were from keeping his feet on the ground which was pleasing to see.

Loved Libba getting involved in heaps of scuffles. He probably starts most of them. Then acts innocent as he is being dragged along by his jumper along the ground, looking at the umpire for a free haha. But the best thing was, post game he ran up to his opponent and shook off with him. Libba vs Rowell was fun to watch.

Tackling numbers massively improved this week. As well as ball use. Still reverted to poor decision making, giving the ball off to team mates under pressure etc, in the middle parts of the game. The key will be to find some consistency, to do it for four quarters. Would love for us to stop killing forward runs, with off target kicks/hand balls, handballing to a team mate under pressure, or fumbling handball receives, giving away free kicks etc. Reckon that cost us a bigger win, and was the reason why we only managed one goal in the second quarter.

Treated myself to a detour and mini hike on the way home, to see a waterfall that I have never seen before (I love them). That looked nice as in picture. Only for there to be no water, and no waterfall :( But the walk, the fresh air, the view. All capped off a good day.
Great post. what is the waterfall you went to see? Let me know I love bush walking and waterfalls. Thanks in advance,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here's a link.

Here's a link.

Thanks, that could be it.

As always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 103 / 115 (+12)
GC: 54 / 67 (+13)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +49 / +48

Centre Bounce Attendance
27 - Treloar
25 - Bontempelli
23 - Liberatore
22 - English
10 - Sanders
9 - Darcy
4 - Gallagher, West

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
65 - English (25 / 9 / 5)
42 - Darcy (12 / 3 / 3)

English v Moyle (49 contests)
Hitouts: 18 / 18
To Advantage: 6 / 4
Clearances: 20 / 14
Score: 4.1 / 3.1

Darcy v Moyle (19 contests)
Hitouts: 6 / 7
To Advantage: 1 / 2
Clearances: 5 / 5
Score: 1.0 / 1.0

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 12
GC: 14

First Possessions
WB: 41

GC: 48

Clearances / Effective Clearances

WB: 42 / 34 (81%)
GC: 31 / 23 (74%)

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 71%
GC: 63%

Smothers

GC: 9

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 57%
GC: 55%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 79%
GC: 64%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 5
GC: 4

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 11
GC: 3

Defensive Half Intercept Marks
WB: 20
GC: 9

Score Launches
5 - English
3 - Darcy, Liberatore, West
2 - Baker, Richards, Williams
1 - Bontempelli, Bramble, Johannisen, Khamis, Weightman

Targets Inside 50
25 - No target/rushed
8 - Ugle-Hagen
3 - Bontempelli, Naughton
2 - Darcy, Weightman
1 - Baker, English, Vandermeer, West

Inside 50 Repeat Entries
WB: 11
GC: 20

Shots At Goal
WB: 29 (62%)
GC: 18 (56%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Gold Coast)
Set Shot: 12.3 / 7.2
Snap: 4.1 / 3.4
On Run: 1.2 / 0.0
Mark Play On: 1.0 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 5.0 / 0.1
15M-30M: 2.1 / 3.1
31M-40M: 5.3 / 4.3
41M-50M: 6.1 / 2.1
51M+: 0.1 / 1.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 6.0 / 2.0
Scores In Time On: 6.3 / 5.2
Scores Sourced From Defensive Half: 5.3 / 6.2

Score Assists
3 - Bontempelli
2 - Gallagher, Johannisen, Sanders
1 - Dale, English, Naughton, Richards, Treloar, Williams

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 34
GC: 24

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 13

GC: 5

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 21
GC: 20

Forward Half Turnovers

WB: 49

GC: 49

Unforced Turnovers
GC: 8

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Treloar
2 - Dale, Sanders
1 - Bontempelli, Bramble, Gallagher, Poulter, West

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 3

GC: 4

Turnovers Punished By Goals
2 - Poulter
1 - Darcy, Johannisen, Ugle-Hagen, Williams

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
139 - English
136 - Bontempelli
135 - Weightman
115 - Liberatore
109 - Darcy
103 - Dale
100 - Treloar
100 - Sanders
98 - Johannisen
91 - Richards
88 - Baker
85 - Naughton
84 - Bramble
70 - Daniel
66 - L. Jones
65 - Khamis
63 - Williams
42 - Vandermeer
40 - West
39 - Ugle-Hagen
39 - Gallagher
22 - Poulter
3 - Coffield

AFL Player Rating Points
24.1 - Bontempelli
20.5 - Weightman
19.7 - English
17.1 - Dale
15.3 - Darcy
14.7 - Baker
14.4 - Sanders
14.2 - L. Jones
12.4 - Richards
12.3 - Liberatore
10.4 - Treloar
10.2 - Daniel
10.0 - Naughton
9.7 - Bramble
9.6 - Johannisen
7.5 - Khamis
6.5 - Williams
6.2 - West
5.9 - Ugle-Hagen
2.3 - Vandermeer
1.3 - Gallagher
0.3 - Coffield
-0.2 - Poulter

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 61%
GC: 39%

Q2
WB: 47%
GC: 53%

Q3
WB: 59%
GC: 41%

Q4
WB: 57%
GC: 43%

Match
WB: 56%
GC: 44%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 202 (Eliite)
GC: 203 (Elite)

Q2
WB: 188 (Average)
GC: 161 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 187 (Average)
GC: 191 (Above Average)

Q4
WB: 201 (Elite)
GC: 164 (Poor)

Match
WB: 194 (Above Average)
GC: 180 (Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
83 - Liberatore
56 - English
55 - Treloar
44 - West
41 - Daniel
35 - Sanders
31 - Baker
31 - Weightman
30 - Vandermeer
29 - Bontempelli
28 - Dale
26 - Gallagher
26 - Ugle-Hagen
23 - Darcy
21 - Naughton
20 - Johannisen
15 - Bramble
13 - Williams
12 - Richards
12 - Poulter
11 - Khamis
9 - L. Jones
0 - Coffield

Score Sources
Scores From Stoppages: 6.1 / 2.1 (Centre: 2.1 / 1.1)
Scores From Turnovers: 12.6 / 6.6
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.0 / 0.0

Sam Darcy IN.

Permanently.

How much of a difference did he make?

Around the ground, in the ruck, takes marks, kicks a few goals, he absolutely has to be played from now on.

Good response from last week’s shitshow.

And to the people saying “Where are the Bevo bashers now?”:

- We put in a good show against a side notorious for being unable to win away.

- Our response today was good, and much needed.

- The anger and the criticism for Beveridge after the Melbourne was entirely justified.
Obviously Darcy’s marking is his highlight but **** I love how keen he is to get involved at ground level on the follow up to the ruck contest.

Great post. what is the waterfall you went to see? Let me know I love bush walking and waterfalls. Thanks in advance,
It was Lal Lal Falls. I jumped on google maps to pick me a route back to the main highway from the ground. But oddly it took me North, instead of South, as the "quickest" route, and onto the freeway to Melbourne. I took its word for it, and ended up driving through some nice country towns. Drove past Lal Lal Falls pub. I pulled over and was like, "FALLS?" So I google imaged the falls, and thought they look nice. Since the Otways has many nice, but small trickling falls. This one looked taller than them, and over a rocky outcrop. So I thought, why not make a day of it?

Maps took me to the carpark of a walking track. Stepping up to the sign, it said it was a 1.5 hour round trip. I was like, "F that", Mum is expecting me home for dinner. But I remembered Google Maps seemingly saying 6 minutes away. So I double checked it, and realized the sign is not for the falls itself, but a whole track. The "look out" was only 5 minutes away. Walked through this grass track which was cool. Basically grass that had been flattened down into a track. Walked past some beautiful trees, including a giant one of some sort I did not recognize.

Came around a bend, and saw rocky cliffs/a small gorge, with a good 20m-30m straight drop. With patterns from different time eras which I thought was cool as, plus their sheer height and make. I couldn't find the path to the look out itself. Be wary, people have inserted non existent paths onto google maps. Which makes you climb a wire fence, and walk to the edge of a cliff, one slip and you're gone. So quite dangerous. I couldn't see or hear any water, so I walked further. Came across this beautiful gully ahead of me. No doubt where the track goes down into. Seeing no signage for a look out, I tracked back and climbed the fence on the "false path", and risked myself by creeping close to the edge. Saw the falls, which seemed to drop down in multiple rows of rocks. But no water. Only what was pooled at the bottom.

Looking back at it. I think either the look out itself was a touch further ahead of me. Where the track broke into a fork, and it went around to the right. Or it was on the otherside, where there is a picnic area set up, and maps was slightly wrong.

I think the track also includes Granite and Moorabool falls, which I just googled, and they looked decent as well. Not sure if they are connected to the same water supply. If so, it will best to see them when it has been wet. I plan to return soon and do that track I reckon, try and cover all three falls, as well as Lal Lal Reservoir. But the track itself seems like a good walk, if it goes where I think it does.

I get where you’re coming from as in on paper the traits don’t necessarily gel, but I think that’s a bit of a cop out. Why aren’t they coachable? Like these are all very good footballers, I think saying they’re not able to learn how to play a role is probably an insult on their ability. I really think the coaching is subpar, we’ll never know but * we’ve given the keys to a rolls Royce to Spangher. I’d like to see an experienced, successful forward coach have a crack at these guys because the talent is immense.

We’ve got a 40 goal small forward, a 50 goal CHF, possibly the best contested mark and 2nd ruck in the league and an athletic beast of an all round forward threat in Marra - surely they can work it out?
… and Spangher to guide them well …

Not much to dislike about that game outside of the injuries.
Hawks supporters talk about Brambles poor ball use, it has been great so far. He hasn’t put a foot wrong at all. Happy for Baker. We need a hard working wing with good speed. Jones, Buku, and Ed were all great.
All in all, really happy.

It was Lal Lal Falls. I jumped on google maps to pick me a route back to the main highway from the ground. But oddly it took me North, instead of South, as the "quickest" route, and onto the freeway to Melbourne. I took its word for it, and ended up driving through some nice country towns. Drove past Lal Lal Falls pub. I pulled over and was like, "FALLS?" So I google imaged the falls, and thought they look nice. Since the Otways has many nice, but small trickling falls. This one looked taller than them, and over a rocky outcrop. So I thought, why not make a day of it?

Maps took me to the carpark of a walking track. Stepping up to the sign, it said it was a 1.5 hour round trip. I was like, "F that", Mum is expecting me home for dinner. But I remembered Google Maps seemingly saying 6 minutes away. So I double checked it, and realized the sign is not for the falls itself, but a whole track. The "look out" was only 5 minutes away. Walked through this grass track which was cool. Basically grass that had been flattened down into a track. Walked past some beautiful trees, including a giant one of some sort I did not recognize.

Came around a bend, and saw rocky cliffs/a small gorge, with a good 20m-30m straight drop. With patterns from different time eras which I thought was cool as, plus their sheer height and make. I couldn't find the path to the look out itself. Be wary, people have inserted non existent paths onto google maps. Which makes you climb a wire fence, and walk to the edge of a cliff, one slip and you're gone. So quite dangerous. I couldn't see or hear any water, so I walked further. Came across this beautiful gully ahead of me. No doubt where the track goes down into. Seeing no signage for a look out, I tracked back and climbed the fence on the "false path", and risked myself by creeping close to the edge. Saw the falls, which seemed to drop down in multiple rows of rocks. But no water. Only what was pooled at the bottom.

Looking back at it. I think either the look out itself was a touch further ahead of me. Where the track broke into a fork, and it went around to the right. Or it was on the otherside, where there is a picnic area set up, and maps was slightly wrong.

I think the track also includes Granite and Moorabool falls, which I just googled, and they looked decent as well. Not sure if they are connected to the same water supply. If so, it will best to see them when it has been wet. I plan to return soon and do that track I reckon, try and cover all three falls, as well as Lal Lal Reservoir. But the track itself seems like a good walk, if it goes where I think it does.

Lal Lal Falls look good when there's water, but yeah we've seen them with water and without. Still enjoyed the walk, from memory one look out isn't far from the carpark, but we've also trekked down the hill along a track then through/over a fence to get to another vantage point. Not sure if it was private property, but there was a well-worn track either side of the fence!

Obviously Darcy’s marking is his highlight but **** I love how keen he is to get involved at ground level on the follow up to the ruck contest.

When Luke Darcy assumed the #1 ruck role after Wynd retired, he and Scott West were often #1 and #2 in the league for contested possession, Luke was a very mobile ruck, but also adept at ground level. It's in the genes!

I thought we were in real trouble at 3/4 time when they kicked the last 3 goals of the quarter, so was rapt that we went on to win the last quarter and the game well and show some resolve, led my our midfield generals.

Last week was horrendous, this week we answered like we should have. Will reserve judgement for another month, still not sure where we sit, we showed today when we are on we can match it with anyway, need to bring that consistently which has been a struggle for a long time.

Some great positives though for me buku, Darcy, flea, Baker, bramble (what a great surprise) jjs run is back and sanders.

We are all wishing he was 5 years younger.
Carlton deserve a fair bit of credit, they found his position and persisted with him, turning a talented footballer into a gun.

Right now he is in our top 3 most important players.
If he had stayed at the end of 2014 I reckon Bev would have given him a crack at CHB. We experimented in that position a lot.

Anyway, glad he’s back. Really hope he gets to play a career first final at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back