Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Just trying to gee myself up for tomorrows game and wanted to watch the Outsiders 2016 doco bit cant find it online anywhere. Does anyone have a link to get it digitally?

He has led comp for this at times.
For all his faults, he plays a team game.

And your second point is bang on. Our round 1 side last year had 2-talls too many, and we were in the bottom 4 for speed of ball movement (Champion data) in 2023.
All pre-season we seem to be focusing on this so expect us to roll the dice with guys who can move the ball quickly, even if we do have to cop the odd turnover (e.g. Bramble).
The Villaindermeer pile on in here is a bit sad.

One only has to look at the two most impressive sides during the 2 ish rounds to understand why we have re-jigged our side so heavily towards ball carriers with pace in the off season. Something that is somewhat undermined by our best exponent of it with Smiths ACL injury. It also goes some way to understanding why Macrae has clearly been overlooked and why Daniel is on the bench and may end up as the sub. The thing that has probably saved Daniel is his versatility and his smarts when the heat goes out of a quarter.

GWS and Sydney always have players coming from behind the ball in waves until they clear the contest. They then use those extra players who are still moving forward to move the ball at pace and either overwhelm or get the ball behind the defence. It's why we saw so many easy goals from the goal square from the Swans last night. It left a very good defensive unit unsure as to whether they needed to come at the ball carrier(s) or roll back further. Last night in particular stood in stark contrast to our usual crab like forward movement of recent years where our only reliable avenue to goal was to drop it onto Naughtons head and hope for the miraculous.

I'd like to think that our plan is to free ourselves of the crabs.

Mitch Hannan, Tim O'Brien, Robbie McComb and Roarke Smith are reading this thread with a big bucket of popcorn.
Which one of them has probably dropped all over the floor. Then Bevo’s come and re-filled their bucket and given them a pat on the back. Meanwhile Rhylee West shows great potential eating popcorn but is scalded for getting crumbs around his mouth.

Which one of them has probably dropped all over the floor. Then Bevo’s come and re-filled their bucket and given them a pat on the back. Meanwhile Rhylee West shows great potential eating popcorn but is scalded for getting crumbs around his mouth.
Roarke was actually doing all right, but then he bit on a hard piece of corn which cracked a tooth and dislocated his jaw.

There doesn't seem to be any option for GA? Am I missing something or will I need to purchase at the ground?

You are supposed to click the GA box outside the ground map seating. But sometimes it does nothing, so you manually filter/select it on the right.

When it gives you the map to choose your own seats there is a big rectangle in the top right that says GA, at least that is the layout on mobile.

I am predicting a loss, but hopefully not a bad one. We have two debutants, two players who could not get a game for their previous clubs and another who hasn't played seniors in 900+ games, not to mention a bunch of new coaches.

Throw all that in with the fact that May usually gives Naughton a really hard time, and Pickett being back alongside Fritsch making their fwd line look all the more potent, and we're in for one tough game.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m more optimistic, I think some of that is overblown. Coffield has been plagued by injuries but had runs on the board already and has now been fit since the back end of last year. Bramble and Harmes are role players, just because their former clubs didn’t have a spot for them doesn’t mean they can’t fill valuable roles for us. Oleg Markov couldn’t get a game for the Suns and is now a premiership player. One of our debutants appears very AFL ready. The new coaches should be a positive.

We should absolutely be winning this game if we’re half serious. Melbourne’s forward line is atrocious, they have no focal point. The same problem we had for years. We should be able to shut them down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was NEVER going to play so time to drop the outrage. He is still a year or two away from performing at afl level.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

How could you possibly know he’s a year or two away? He’s actually completed a full pre season and in the one game he played in the afl side this year he was very good. Darcy in the team makes the side more likely to win the premiership. I would much rather 20+ afl games into him this year than rotting away in the twos.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

How could you possibly know he’s a year or two away? He’s actually completed a full pre season and in the one game he played in the afl side this year he was very good. Darcy in the team makes the side more likely to win the premiership. I would much rather 20+ afl games into him this year than rotting away in the twos.

Darcy is not ready yet. Would rather Lobb in the team especially to pinch hit against Gawn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Darcy is not ready yet. Would rather Lobb in the team especially to pinch hit against Gawn.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He’s pretty bloody ready, when was the last time he didn’t dominate the ruck and kick 3+ goals at VFL level. Weekly he’s the best big man on ground

But I’m okay with Lobb getting first shot, pressure is absolutely on though one slip up and Darcy is in, he’s ready

"Rotting away in the twos" is such a silly thing to say. He's training with the AFL team and he's playing against a lot of AFL listed players. At this stage of his career there is still a lot of development he can gain from VFL football. His body has been s**t for his first two years, let him get some continuity and string a good number of matches together before he takes the step up. Yes he could play AFL and have an impact right now, but we dont necessarily need him to just yet. Once he takes the step up to AFL he will be more ready than ever.

I think there's an argument to be made that Darcy might match or exceed Lobb's production despite the difference in age and experience. However whatever your thoughts on that particular selection, Darcy is probably pretty close to getting games anyway. All it takes is a bad game from Lobb or an injury to one of 4 players (Marra, Naughts, Lobb, English) and he's in.

Darcy is going to dominate the VFL, that much we already know, it's not really about talent/skills or production with him. The team is under a lot of pressure to win tomorrow and they are rolling with the experience in Lobb. Maybe there's an element of sunk cost there too if you wanted to look at it more cynically.

Personally I'd prefer to see Darcy out there instead of Lobb but I understand why he's not first choice atm. If Lobb attacks the game as he did after he got dropped last year he will probably keep his place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back