Opinion Dees V Dogs - Sunday MCG 1.00 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I think we start a few goals behind the Dees given they will have played a game for points unless they get some key injuries. Two weeks out there are number of selection queries.

If fit the locks are Bont, Libba, English, Astro, JUH, Jones, Richards, Dale, Treloar, Sanders, Cody, West. Williams

The other 9 spots in the 22 are up for grabs expect Macrae (if fit), Caleb and Harmes will play but not locks, then the other spots are between, Lobb, Darcy. Coffield, Kharmis, JOD, McNeill, Bramble, JJ, Doc, Poulter, Gallagher, Arty, VDM and Scott.

The dees have caused us problems since 2021 and we need to arrest their dominance over us. More than ever Bevo and the dogs need to get off to a good start. The dees prior to the practice games had a terrible pre-season, the Oliver and Smith sagas plus Brayshaw's retirement.

I get the feeling notwithstanding the advantage they get in round zero we are a real chance if we hit the ground running. Hopefully the pressure on selection to keep your place in the team, the changes in assistant coaches and a refreshed Bevo will see us perform to the quality we expect.

I think we start a few goals behind the Dees given they will have played a game for points unless they get some key injuries. Two weeks out there are number of selection queries.

If fit the locks are Bont, Libba, English, Astro, JUH, Jones, Richards, Dale, Treloar, Sanders, Cody, West. Williams

The other 9 spots in the 22 are up for grabs expect Macrae (if fit), Caleb and Harmes will play but not locks, then the other spots are between, Lobb, Darcy. Coffield, Kharmis, JOD, McNeill, Bramble, JJ, Doc, Poulter, Gallagher, Arty, VDM and Scott.

The dees have caused us problems since 2021 and we need to arrest their dominance over us. More than ever Bevo and the dogs need to get off to a good start. The dees prior to the practice games had a terrible pre-season, the Oliver and Smith sagas plus Brayshaw's retirement.

I get the feeling notwithstanding the advantage they get in round zero we are a real chance if we hit the ground running. Hopefully the pressure on selection to keep your place in the team, the changes in assistant coaches and a refreshed Bevo will see us perform to the quality we expect.
Yes this is an especially inept and inequitable piece of scheduling from the masters of fixturing ineptitude and inequity (not to mention iniquity). I don't need to go into them but there are several reasons why it stinks.

There's one thing we have going for us - it was reported last year that the side had discussed the Melbourne problem at some length since the most recent loss (Rd 1 2023) and are determined not to be Melbourne's bitches any more. So I think we'll come out firing.

I'm still tipping Melbourne at this stage but I do think we're a chance.

This split opening round is BS. The ALF's integrity is becoming a Joke.
Anyway, it is what it is. We'll win anyway.

Surely it wasn’t that hard to either fixture the 8 sides of “opening round” against each other for round 1, or those 8 sides just don’t play the next week and it’s business as usual from round 2 onwards.

It’s actually comical and a poor start for Dillon’s start as CEO.

Yes this is an especially inept and inequitable piece of scheduling from the masters of fixturing ineptitude and inequity (not to mention iniquity). I don't need to go into them but there are several reasons why it stinks.

There's one thing we have going for us - it was reported last year that the side had discussed the Melbourne problem at some length since the most recent loss (Rd 1 2023) and are determined not to be Melbourne's bitches any more. So I think we'll come out firing.

I'm still tipping Melbourne at this stage but I do think we're a chance.

There's a second thing we have going for us this time: Lachie Bramble

Oliver confirmed playing this week. Regardless of his aerobic fitness, it’s still a very big inclusion.

Rd 1 2023 lineup:

Possible outs:

Bruce, Keath, Baker, Scott, Hannan, B. Smith, Darcy, McLean, Duryea

Possible ins:

Weightman, Sanders, Harmes, Coffield, O’Donnell, West, Khamis, McNeil, Bramble

The loss of Bailey Smith aside, we should be going in with a much more fleet footed team than we did last year when we selected Naughton, Marra, Lobb and Darcy in attack and Jones, Keath and Bruce in defence.

Rd 1 2023 lineup:

Possible outs:

Possible ins:

The loss of Bailey Smith aside, we should be going in with a much more fleet footed team than we did last year when we selected Naughton, Marra, Lobb and Darcy in attack and Jones, Keath and Bruce in defence.

I think Bruce, Smith, Hannan and Mclean are definite outs given 3 are not the list and one is a long term injury.

Rd 1 2023 lineup:

Possible outs:

Possible ins:

Going in with the 4 talls and to top it off Hannan too, what a wild time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going in with the 4 talls and to top it off Hannan too, what a wild time

Weightman, West and McNeil certainly a more rational fit to surround our KPFs than Hannan, Scott and Johannisen.

If Jones and Clarke create competition and fill in when needed for those small forward spots (along with Darcy ready to slot in for any of the talls), we should actually be able to pick players on form and roll out a sensibly structured forward line all year.

An emerging JUH (very different player), a battle hardened West, a battle hardening Weightman and a much better backline plus sanders…

Our team is vastly improved on paper where Melbourne has arguably gone backwards. They still have the best backline in the league in my opinion but we absolutely should be able to get them this year.

Dogs by 28.

Surely it wasn’t that hard to either fixture the 8 sides of “opening round” against each other for round 1, or those 8 sides just don’t play the next week and it’s business as usual from round 2 onwards.

It’s actually comical and a poor start for Dillon’s start as CEO.
Marketing 101

Remove this Banner Ad

Back