Review Dogs beat Brions 67-53, JUH kicks 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Our team defence was back to 2021 stingy levels. I don't recall us getting opened up from our defensive 50 all night? Looked very much like majority of our 2021 games at Marvel, keeping teams to very low scores.

I really like Naughton up the ground. He's field kicking is extremely good. He looks at his best/most comfortable taking a mark 60-80m out, wheeling immediately and kicking inside 50.
Jamarra and Lobb are good on the lead and beautiful kicks of the footy when taking set shots. So this set up suits all players strengths.

Baz didn't get big numbers, but he's ball use was much improved and the defensive side of his game was the best it's been for a long time.

Haven't been as happy for/proud of a player as I was for Jamarra since Tom Boyd kicking that goal from the centre square.

Enough of bagging Daisy Pearce for what she looks like. There are plenty of on-topic things about her commentary to discuss if you must.

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 160 (Poor)
BL: 188 (Average)

Q2
WB: 197 (Above Average)
BL: 179 (Below Average)

Q3
WB: 199 (Above Average)
BL: 165 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 187 (Average)
BL: 163 (Poor)

Match
WB: 185 (Average)
BL: 174 (Below Average)
Interesting that it wasn't so much that we were manic with pressure but they were slack with pressure. It may be that the story of that match was that Brisbane still travel poorly. I have noticed that our form very often seems to be inversely proportional to our opponent's pressure ratings. Our playing style seems to particularly break down under pressure - more than most other playing styles.

Does anyone happen to have the HS stats?? i love seeing the individual pressure points after each game. Particularly interested in Garcia v Dunkley.

I said in his welcome thread but Baker is sitting on a goal a game and led all players for metres gained today. You'd take that for someone that was fundamentally a free hit to fill a hole in our list.
Hunter to the dees + a 3rd rnd pick, and his + $600 k contract for Baker for no picks and a low $ contact is another round about fantastic swap by Sammy P.

Baker is hard at the footy, more direct with kicking, strong tackling with a goal average.

Enough of bagging Daisy Pearce for what she looks like. There are plenty of on-topic things about her commentary to discuss if you must.
Crap bias commentator who can't understand why she is starting to be denied access to rooms after games, whilst also being involved at a club level herself.

I think the plan was for him to be a hard running wingman
Arty looks fantastic up front with his skill and dexterity to apply pressure.
But how good does Baker look in that role, the improvement from Hunter is massive.
Love me locky... but Baker has more mongrel is a more direct kick up forward, + a goal a game.
Anyone remember Locky kicking for goals😬

Bont and JUH were awesome but let’s not forget LIBBBBBBA!

LIBAAAAA was LIBAAAAA tonight and that player is awesome

He was tough tonight as always LIBAAAAAA
Love me the whole Libba family, man i hope libba has had a few kids that go into footy.
I could happily grow old watching the libba's run around with the dogs.

We spent Dunkleys money on a thief named Lobb - he is a horror show!
There's more to it.
A capable back up ruck, he is kicking goals and the big thing.... he is taking the 2nd kpd to free up Marra, to slot in young Darcy when's he is ready.
Its hard to change a normal job without looking out of place in the 1st couple of months. Imagine that while being under scrutiny of our supporters.

Ah yes, the age old Equality bs Difference….shall we?

Now that Covid doesn’t stir up the masses. The other bonus is it might bring MattDougie back?

Very good win by the boys. Wanted to see more fight and application and they delivered. Impressive game performance from JUH , good comeback from Macrae and promising first quarter from Arthur ( he does need a lot of time in the gym but has skills).
The downers for me were the continuation of “ bombing it in long”, Lobb and Garcia. Leading forwards, accurate passing and kicking it to a forwards advantage would not go astray.
It took ages for any of our fwd entry's not to be bombs.
JJ ran off back like the days of old and lowered his eyes and hit a fwd target.
Smitty was the worst at this, i can't recall when he didn't just throw it into his boot and bomb it into the fwds.

I really like Arty's fwd pressure and his application to stay down and attempt to crumb the ball. Arty already has this over flea, don't need our small fwds to try to crash the pack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good win by the boys. Wanted to see more fight and application and they delivered. Impressive game performance from JUH , good comeback from Macrae and promising first quarter from Arthur ( he does need a lot of time in the gym but has skills).
The downers for me were the continuation of “ bombing it in long”, Lobb and Garcia. Leading forwards, accurate passing and kicking it to a forwards advantage would not go astray.
It took ages for any of our fwd entires not too be bombs.
Smitty was the worst at this, i can recall when he didn't just throw it into his bit and bomb it into the fwds.
I think his only flaw as a leader is that he misses too many crucial set shots for goal.

If he didn't then he is nearly a perfect footballer.
Totally agree, if The Bont could kick a higher % of goals, he goes into the top 10 of players ever.
Its weird how he can hit a target on the run at 50 meters without battin an eye lid.
In front of goals.... He does miss a few easy set shots in front of the big sticks.
Astro🤮🤮
2 out on the full, in what can be described as both gettable shots, astro missed all the big white sticks.

Smitty was the worst at this, i can recall when he didn't just throw it into his bit and bomb it into the fwds.

Smitty was the worst at this, i can't recall when he didn't just throw it into his boot and bomb it into the fwds.

I really like Arty's fwd pressure and his application to stay down and attempt to crumb the ball. Arty already has this over flea, don't need our small fwds to try to crash the pack.
First goal was from a beautifully weighted long kick from Smith to the pocket where Marra had found some space.
Could have been pure arse but I prefer to think he meant to put it there.

Lobb can't seem to move freely. I think it's just his height factor. However I thought he deserves a fair go before I can decide - for all his perceived failing he's still settling in, had surgery a week ago and still managed to kick 2 goals. I mean, what were we expecting anyway? He's much maligned at the club he came from by the sound of it.
2 goals after a weeks surgery is a cracking effort. He's got to be playing through some sort of discomfort, I respect that.

Crap bias commentator who can't understand why she is starting to be denied access to rooms after games, whilst also being involved at a club level herself.
I think that was what mutt was alluding to.
We can openly call out her crap job as commentator, but we don't need to pile on about that forehead.
She's obviously not that worried about the size of her forehead as she does have hair to cover it up and she doesn't.
She got more hair than me.

Wow harsh on Bonti and JUH!
post title GIF

Totally agree mutt what you say is correct. But I am with fages when he says daisy should not be allowed into their change rooms when she is an assistant coach with the cats. I hope the dogs have the same policy. Look a clubs or a players inner scrotum should not be on display we don't want daisy or anyone for that matter passing on vital facts. As fagan says" it's your inner scrotum in the change rooms... who knows what she might see and hear. I don't want our people walking on eggshells just because they are worried about what someone may or may not see". Totally support Fagan on this issue and hope the dogs follow suit. That's all I wanted to say and just get it off my chest.

Last edited:
Totally agree mutt what you say is correct. But I am with fages when he says daisy should not be allowed into their change rooms when she is an assistant coach with the cats. I hope the dogs have the same policy. Look a clubs or a players inner scrotum should not be on display we don't want daisy or anyone for that matter passing on vital facts. As fagan says" it's your inner scrotum the change rooms... who knows what she might see and hear. I don't want our people walking on eggshells just because they are worried about what someone may or may not see". Totally support Fagan on this issue and hope the dogs follow suit. That's all I wanted to say and just get it off my chest.

Need to keep that inner scrotum secure! :laughing:
(Sorry, some typos just worth appreciating. It was a typo, wasn't it? :oops:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back