Review Dogs 90 overcome a slow start to beat ASADA 49

Remove this Banner Ad

Have not read all the other posts but those that called for ADZ to be dropped hang your head in shame. Good to get a win good chance for 8 now but a lot improvement required to challenge. Poulter is better than I thought but he is probably the most one-sided player I have seen.
You never saw Scott Lucas play?

Some of Jamarra's marks last night were so clean that he could become a surgeon.

On SM-A135F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They fact most of their supporters don’t get that they have been a mediocre club for 20 years is absurd. I had a woman sitting next to me shouting out ‘niiiiice’ literally every time they took an uncontested mark in their backline.
Did she mention their 16 flags to our 2? Comes up often...even though they won many of them in comps with less than 12 teams and plenty of paper bags

I don't rate Bailey Smith as a player but he was solid last night.

What! He is down on form, but supporters just want a player to give his all and get the most out of himself. And that is what Baz gives. He is his harshest critic. He puts so much pressure on himself, but this actually means he cares, about his performance. So to try and play differently is admirable, and he was important last night. He was also very good when Treloar was injured a few weeks back.

Bailey Smith ticks many boxes.

He will be a good to very good midfielder if he stays as he is but to be an elite midfielder he needs to fix up his disposal by foot simple as that.

He has the attributes for an elite midfielder but unless he fixes disposal by foot he won’t get there.

Then the question is do you pay him as good midfielder, a very good midfielder or an elite one.

One player who deserves a little mention is Poulter.

Has offered a bit since selected, but has looked very outside.

Showed a bit more of a rounded game last night I thought, 6 contested possessions and 5 tackles.

His disposals don't always look all that convincing, but efficiency was at 86% last night. That % always seems a bit higher than I expect and you can't query his commitment to gut run.

Looking like a really solid addition.

Baz reminds me of a young Jj with ball in hand, honestly I’m not really concerned about his disposal. He’s technically spot on, when he takes a mark he does not miss a short target - he drills them low and hard and is almost perfect.

His problem is composure, when he’s at full tilt he doesn’t look and blazes away - this was exactly like JJ, but he learnt to slow down and measure his kicks which Baz will too.

I think a big thing also is we’re a tough team to kick to forward of the centre because we’re just a mess for the most part. The likes of Bont & Daniel play slow they can assess and find targets out of no where. Baz is always delivering at speed and it’s hard to weigh up your options when there’s nothing obvious presenting - plus he usually tries to spot someone up rather than slam it on the boot like say a Baker, so he sprays a few.

So I think Baz needs to chill and find some more composure which he will as he settles in and matures a bit, plus we clearly need a more organised structure in terms of offensive transition and he will be just fine.

Again he’s not a shanker, technically he is absolutely perfect - I doubt he misses a target at training.

In short, he’ll be fine
agree, and i mean this constructively, i like him as a player and he played well last night, the other issue related to his disposal in and around traffic is awareness of getting physical contact, he is a little more aware than most players.

agree, and i mean this constructively, i like him as a player and he played well last night, the other issue related to his disposal in and around traffic is awareness of getting physical contact, he is a little more aware than most players.
Yeah I think aware is a fair comment, I don’t think he’s a particularly natural inside/contested player - but he tries to be. He has the attributes for it so he needs to be able to use his body inside but yeah I don’t think it comes overly naturally to him.

He’s at his best when he’s gut running from contest to contest and just skirting the packs waiting for his opportunity - he needs to go when it’s his turn but I prefer him not getting sucked into the contest too badly, he has to be available to transition the ball from inside the contest to outside, whether it’s from a 50/50 ball or a handball receive etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One player who deserves a little mention is Poulter.

Has offered a bit since selected, but has looked very outside.

Showed a bit more of a rounded game last night I thought, 6 contested possessions and 5 tackles.

His disposals don't always look all that convincing, but efficiency was at 86% last night. That % always seems a bit higher than I expect and you can't query his commitment to gut run.

Looking like a really solid addition.
Was really happy with his contested game last night, that’s not something I’ve seen from him yet at either level. Really good intent when at times he can look to be going through the motions a bit.

He’s definitely one sided though and I don’t really rate his disposal very highly, it’s very safe & loopy - just doesn’t do a whole lot of damage. But fair play to him he doesn’t turn it over. Would want to see him in a good system where he has more dangerous options presenting before I made a call either way.

He’s going okay though, playing his role

As Bruce is offering little as a key back, surely you go smaller and play Buku there? What’s there to lose with that trade off?

He’s miles closer to an Easton Wood type than being the next Tom Boyd.

As Bruce is offering little as a key back, surely you go smaller and play Buku there? What’s there to lose with that trade off?

He’s miles closer to an Easton Wood type than being the next Tom Boyd.
Watching VFL today I think Buss is almost ready, yeah he’ll get beaten in the contest a bit (not that Bruce is a defensive wall anyway) but his composure & class is what we need, not a lumbering type. He’s looking great IMO

Bailey smith is an absolute gun we can only hope is a lifelong Bulldogs player and I believe he will be

Watching VFL today I think Buss is almost ready, yeah he’ll get beaten in the contest a bit (not that Bruce is a defensive wall anyway) but his composure & class is what we need, not a lumbering type. He’s looking great IMO
Either way, pick the guy with upside in this scenario.

Don’t suck in a key role with a 31yo that can’t move, pick the guy with improvement. We’ll wear the odd mistake with Buku, Buss etc.

Like they aren’t going to be worse than Bruce.

Tremendous post. You are more than entitled to rate or not rate Bailey Smith as a player based upon your own observations, analysis and assessment.

I too thought he was solid last night. On this occasion, he played his role with the commitment, intensity and to the level that was required of him.

Just quietly, the answer is 6,895. A little update never hurts

I have 3 bombers friends I speak with via zoom each week. The updated number is included in the first 3 sentences I say to them each week. But always in relation to something else. Eg.
My son counted up to 6,892 this week, which took a very long time to count. Imagine going that long without….

It was a solid win. A midfield annihilation after Q1 with an even spread of contributors across the ground.

The query on the quality of the win is the quality of the opposition and the (lack of) challenge they presented to our midfielders.

Marra is going to be some sort of player.

I get that this year has been frustrating in patches. Only had to get over GC and Sydney and we’d be in great shape but fumbled both.

The idea it’s a burn-the-furniture season though is absurd. For our sins we are currently outperforming 11-12 of the 17 other clubs with a hope of fixing some of our issues before finals.
And the first port game.

Win those 3 and we're comfortably in the top 4. I know we didn't and it's a bit of shoulda coulda woulda but despite us looking pretty shaky at times we're not sitting too badly. Speaks to the rest of the competition a bit.

The negativity can fester on itself on here sometimes.

I've honestly never seen him tell like that before until last night.

Along with whiteboard gate, the pressure seems to be getting to him.
Or

He has decided that a measured and softly softly approach on game day hasn't been effective in communicating his message to players and/or assistants and he's quite consciously changed up his approach.

Or

He has decided that a measured and softly softly approach on game day hasn't been effective in communicating his message to players and/or assistants and he's quite consciously changed up his approach.
I don't see how losing his nut in the box does anything for the players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back