Review Dogs 90 overcome a slow start to beat ASADA 49

Remove this Banner Ad

It was an epic run that year, Flacco played the best football of his career for 4 games to win the Super Bowl.

Hoping that we go really well this year with an absolutely loaded team and a new OC. (And we sign J Houston sometime very soon, he needs another ring).

There is a Baltimore Ravens thread on the NFL section of Bigfooty.
Hahaha that's classic that's it's resonated on the board .. flaco beat brady and manning in successive weeks that year ..

In the NFL there seems to be little patience when it's obvious that the team is near success, perhaps it's the general managers having more say, as it's unlikely a head coach would fire a staff member he appointed. Would Ameet Baines have the balls to sack one of our assistants without bevo's blessing? And then appoint the replacement..

Did soemthing not dissimilar happen at Richmond at the end of 2016, where the board saw good metrics , and forced the issue on Hardwick

By end of Round 22 Bumbers would have played West Coast and North twice that is 4 games the Dogs would have played North only once.

AFL biggest issue integrity of the draw
And yet they are still in 11th and we are 5th and people on here want to sack the coach.

Sure we’ve dropped some games we should have won, but if you look at the ladder it appears to be a very even season…how even if you say Essendon will have in all likelihood scored 16 premiership points and large % from beating up on the bottom 2.

This is why a wildcard / 10 team finals won’t work - the gulf outside the 8 seems close, but its miles apart because of a flawed draw where the lower teams play each other more and grossly inflate their standings

Was really happy with his contested game last night, that’s not something I’ve seen from him yet at either level. Really good intent when at times he can look to be going through the motions a bit.

He’s definitely one sided though and I don’t really rate his disposal very highly, it’s very safe & loopy - just doesn’t do a whole lot of damage. But fair play to him he doesn’t turn it over. Would want to see him in a good system where he has more dangerous options presenting before I made a call either way.

He’s going okay though, playing his role
I actually think his disposal is pretty good. He can roost the ball and has a bit of dash. We’ve been a pretty slow side for a couple of years but with Baker, Poulter, JJ, Dale, Baz, Red, VDM, A Jones we’ve Definently got a bit of pace.

Coaches Votes

Essendon v Western Bulldogs​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Tom Liberatore (WB)
5 Jordan Ridley (ESS)
3 Bailey Smith (WB)
2 Adam Treloar (WB)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Jamarra Ugle-Hagan (WB)

Libba is 18th= in the overall coaches' votes standings.

He's had a mighty season.

I think I will cry when he retires.Footy for me won’t be the same once Liber is gone

He is a genuine footballers footballer

He is brilliant

I think I will cry when he retires.Footy for me won’t be the same once Liber is gone

He is a genuine footballers footballer

He is brilliant
It'll be another decade before we have another Libratore on the field, hopefully his son is just as good as father and grandfather.

It ain't the Bulldogs unless we have a Libba' running around.

It'll be another decade before we have another Libratore on the field, hopefully his son is just as good as father and grandfather.

Libba I was 164
Libba II is 183
If the inter generational growth pattern continues Libba III will be over 200cm.

Lets say Libba has at worst 3 more years (2 strong, last one defiantly petering out) then it's 7 years without Libba?

Still too long

Did anyone notice the insipid singing of the team song after the win over the Bombers? Pathetic, no oomph, no raucous volume and almost everyone was in key which I found the most disturbing part.

The singing coach has definitely lost them. I no longer have faith in him/her. Gotta go.

We need the soft cap space for another myotherapist anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets say Libba has at worst 3 more years (2 strong, last one defiantly petering out) then it's 7 years without Libba?

Still too long
Bit longer. Oscar Libratores draft year will be 2038.. Solid two rebuilds in there before we have another Libba on the list.

Its hilarious watching the various media types discussing Libbas season like he's been some kinda journeyman his entire career.

I recall one from yesterday acting all kinds of surprised at how skilled he actually is with ball in hand.

Ive said it before, but in their mind he is only now coming out of the shadow of perception that was attached to his father. When in reality he surpassed him years ago. He has vision and a skillset on par with any midfielder player in the game and has since the start of his career. It's a travesty that the media are only now picking up on that fact and mentioning him as a AA contender when he should be a lock.

Last edited:
Its hilarious watching the various media types discussing Libbas season like he's been some kinda journeyman his entire career.

I recall one from yesterday acting all kinds of surprised at how skilled he actually is with ball in hand.

Ive said it before, but in their mind he is only now coming out of the shadow of perception that was attached to his father. When in reality he surpassed him years ago. He has vision and a skillset on par with any midfielder player in the game and has since the start of his career. It's a travesty that the media are only now picking up on that fact and mentioning him as a AA contender when he should be a lock.
He could have pre-empted all that by playing for Essendon. He would have been hailed as the messiah.

They've forgotten he was a B'n'F whose career was interrupted by two knee reconstructions. He has had a stellar career, which only takes a little research to reveal. It's not a recent phenomenon.

I could never quite understand why Mitch Wallis was touted as the top 5 draft pick and not Libba in their draft year. As has been mentioned, Libba's skills were evident from the moment he played for us. Combative, a brilliant extractor, defender, hand-baller, kicked off both feet with range and precision and had vision. Did the draft pundits just miss it or was Libba not trying too hard in his draft year.

Below is the top 10 from that year.

1690254111218.png

Arguably he was in fact the best player in the draft that year. Lynch at 11 and Isaac Smith at 19 in the mix and Prestia made a big difference to the Tiges when he got there. Throw in Gaff and that's your top 5, and all things considered, Libba is arguably still the best of the lot of them.

Perhaps his draft position of 41 blinded the "experts" to his skills and talents. And by perhaps I mean it almost certainly did.

Last edited:
I could never quite understand why Mitch Wallis was touted as the top 5 draft pick and not Libba in their draft year. As has been mentioned, Libba's skills were evident from the moment he played for us. Combative, a brilliant extractor, defender, hand-baller, kicked off both feet with range and precision and had vision. Did the draft pundits just miss it or was Libba not trying too hard in his draft year.

View attachment 1755136

Arguably he was in fact the best player in the draft that year. Lynch at 11 and Isaac Smith at 19 in the mix and Prestia made a big difference to the Tiges when he got there. Throw in Gaff and that's your top 5, and all things considered, Libba is arguably still the best of the lot of them.

Perhaps his draft position of 41 blinded the "experts" to his skills and talents. And by perhaps I mean it almost certainly did.
Horrific draft year. Either Gold Coast were utterly shafted re the top 10 talent of their development program destroyed lots of careers. We’ll never know.

The club internally rated Liberatore higher than Wallis, too.
The rules regarding father-sons at the time meant it didn't really matter in which order they were taken, we were always going to need our first two picks and everyone knew we weren't going to pass on either.

View attachment 1755136

I remember an opposition fan from Essendon I think, said before we drafted them that Libba was by far the better player and would have the better career.

I think everyone was dazzled by Mitch’s 49 possessions in a grand final win.

View attachment 1755136

Kinear Beatson ( Swans recruiter) rated Libba in hus top 8 players at the time. Ahead of Wallis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back