Review Dogs 115 def Suns 67

Remove this Banner Ad

He made large stoppage changes after quarter time to arrest the Dogs' dominance in the first quarter though?

Surely you don't want to teach players a system that isn't working?
He actually said when interviewed before the game he was not worried about matchups he was more interested in getting this group of players understanding how to play in his system he used at Richmond. Said it would take time as this is not how they were coached previously

I looked up the maths, and the across all games this season (excluding Dogs, which brings the average down, if we were tactically that way), the 4th most attending midfielder for a game attends 43.5%. The 5th most drops to 24.4%.

I think Macrae should be in the team too and we can figure out a way to make it work tactically, but Bevo's logic isn't entirely invalid.

The fouth and fifth midfielder are important, but they have to be able to play other posiitons for balance.

Bevo might see Libba, Bont and Treloar as midfielders who should get above-league-average attendance for the Rank 1, 2, 3 spot. I think that's a fair enough tactical assesment, and was the case last year.

How does Macrae fit into the above? He'll absolutely get a game if any of those three are injured, and play on ball, for starters.
100% agree with all of this specially the part around the 4th 5th or 6th mid needing to perform a role for the team in other positions. Like you I feel Macca will play lots of footy this year and will play this week but I have no issue at all with Bevo making sure he’s fit and hungry.

Enjoyed my day at Mars, seemed to me the biggest crowd I've seen there, definitely the warmest day.

Goes without saying I enjoyed the "big boys" games, Bont, Libba and Treloar etc.

However I look closely at the bottom 6 more so these days as I see them as the key to our improvement this season.

Buku - this kid has got good hands, good one grab marking, kept it simple, no fumbles.
Baker - was standing on the wing so was close enough to watch his hard work and running, can kick a goal too.
Gallagher - improving his involvement, neat, good handling most times, I'd persevere, something there.
Williams - think his best position is at half back, had a bit of his old poise back, was reliable.
VDM - better than last week, still hasn't convinced me.
Bramble - was good, no nonsense, can break lines, good kick, not sure why he got desisted at the Hawks. Keeps his spot for the time being.

Other things that made me smile - Darcy will be a beauty, still love JJ taking off with the ball (2016 PF!!)., Jones almost as important as our midfielder,s very important to our structure, great intercept marking. Finally, Weightman, what a fantastic small forwards game, one big mark but stayed down generally and reaped the rewards.

One final thought, why are Naughton and JUH often within 10 metres of each other and too often flying for the same ball?
One Buku Khamis, there is only Buku Khamis, one Buku Khamis, there is only one Buku Khamis.

Mandela is proud of the kid from heaven,

I thought JJ's running, and in particular the timing of those runs off half back was something to behold. With JJ, Dale, Red and now Bramble down there we sure do have some speed.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
With 4 Solid options down there it's much harder for oppo to set up a hard tag to upset the run and carry from the back half. Will just free up the other 3 if say they tried a hard tag on JJ again, so should have minimal impact on our ball movement and take away on opposition drive going the other way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back