Review Dogs beat Brions 67-53, JUH kicks 5

Remove this Banner Ad

What has pressure points got to do with scrotums Oliver. Anyway I think a large sign at the entrance of our change room should state " All opposition assistant coaches working in the media will not under any circumstances have access to our players scotums be it inner or outer". I think that will do the trick Geoff Jennings 79.

Thanks for posting these. There are a lot of interesting elements in these stats -

1) Adam Treloar owned clearances with 9. A 30 year old appears to be our new, up-and-coming clearance champ, which I'm slightly worried about (it was supposed to be Bailey Smith this year, wasn't it?). But they aren't big clearances - he had a crab like 207m gained from 28 disposals (15 kicks).

2) Oskar Baker really had an even better game then i thought. 611m gained, and leading the team with 7 score involvements. Even with 18 possessions, that genuinely was as impactful a performance as Hunter would have ever got with a 30 possession game. I'm liking a winger who notches fewer possessions but makes them count more.

3) Interesting that with all the players rolling through the forward line to try to help make our tall forward line less leaky, our highest pressure forward was.... tall Aaron Naughton with 41 pressure points. He even bested Artie's 24 pressure points (although obviously early days for Artie).

4) Some other pressure points surprises: Garcia only scored 19 pressure points, despite his near constant harrassment of other players and many frees conceded. I was VERY surprised by how ineffective he apparently was. Of course our pressure champion was Libba on 72 (that is a huge number but it wasn't even in his personal green zone). And most surprising of all, our 2nd highest pressure player was Caleb Daniel on 54! That is not something I would have expected to see.

5) I also wouldn't have expected to see Caleb Daniel with 68% disposal efficiency but Bailey Smith with 89% disposal efficiency. I have no explanations for that! Good on Smith, but presumably Caleb's role must be changing significantly for his pressure to be so far up but his efficiency be so far down.

6) Finally it's interesting to see that while Liam Jones was recruited for his intercept marking as much as anything, he had 8 intercepts compared to Keath's 11. When Keath first came to us he was an interceptor - until we turned him into the closest thing we had to a gorilla defender. In recent years Keath has seemed to intercept less and less. But maybe Jones' presence may be freeing Keath to rediscover that side of his game.

Here is the pressure table, it has tackle attempts, tackles, pressure acts and pressure points...

View attachment 1646848
Thanks Oliver. You're a champion - and the most precious resource on this board.

I love this table. I can't get enough of these kinds of stats.

1) It really showcases how valuable Libba is, when you stack him up against Mr Defence Dunkley. Libba has to do everything for us - he wins ball, he is one of our most accurate disposers, and he provides a fair whack of our midfield defence. Josh Dunkley is basically Brisbane's defensive-mid unit and that is it. Yet Libba still beat Dunkley out by one pressure point 72 to 71, and stuck 9 out of 10 tackles compared to Dunkley sticking 6 out of 9. I really think Libba can't keep doing this much longer. But he's sure not dead yet! (And special mention to Bont's 6 out of 7 too. He always does his best.)

2) Interesting to see how tall forward Naughton nailed 5 out of 5 tackles, and defensive small Richards nailed 4 out of 4. But Defensive tall Liam Jones hit 2 out of 5 tackles, defensive tall Keath hit 0 out of 2, Crozier hit 1 out of 5, and Dale hit 1 out of 3. The poor tackling from our backline has been a problem for at least 12 months in my view. And this is one of many reasons that Richards is so valuable to us - he is our only solid tackler in defence (I suspect Duryea was once a decent tackler too, but think he may have fallen off a bit recently. I don't have the stats to back that up though.)

3) I noted in my post about the HS stats that there is something weird about how Caleb's pressure numbers are getting so high and his disposal efficiency is getting so low. This table makes that even clearer with 9 ATTEMPTED tackles - he really was going for it, in a Libba like way. I'm not really surprised though that he only stuck 4 out of those 9 tackles. His size clearly wouldn't help there. I'm a little more surprised that Scott only stuck 2 out of 6. Scott's no giant, but he's almost Libba-sized. He is certainly big enough to stick his tackles, and he's pretty much in the team solely to do the unglamorous things. On Brisbane's side I was also surprised that Zac Bailey only stuck 4 out of 8. I find these kinds of stats really interesting.

4) Artie Jones as a small forward is there to apply pressure as much as anything. And his 1 out of 5 tackles would not be acceptable in 2 years time. But as a young'un and debutant I think that is perfectly understandable, and we should expect that kind of return for a while yet I reckon. At least he's having a dip.

5) Finally though, one more piece of evidence that Garcia had a stinker of a game was only 2 out of 4 tackles stuck. He really should be making more than 4 tackle attempts, and he should be sticking most of them. The whole reason he's in the team is to help Libba out in applying defensive pressure around the field. He shouldn't be getting shown up by Caleb Daniel!

Thanks Again Oliver!

Last edited:
Totally agree mutt what you say is correct. But I am with fages when he says daisy should not be allowed into their change rooms when she is an assistant coach with the cats. I hope the dogs have the same policy. Look a clubs or a players inner scrotum should not be on display we don't want daisy or anyone for that matter passing on vital facts. As fagan says" it's your inner scrotum in the change rooms... who knows what she might see and hear. I don't want our people walking on eggshells just because they are worried about what someone may or may not see". Totally support Fagan on this issue and hope the dogs follow suit. That's all I wanted to say and just get it off my chest.
I love that you’re maintaining this wasn’t a typo. Great post.

As pleasing as our turnaround in form was this week.

Its not nearly as pleasurable as how much my inner scrotum is tingling reading about the revival of freekickbulldogs in this thread.

Where were these people in the first two rounds?

My inner scrotum could've really done with a lift in moral.

As pleasing as our turnaround in form was this week.

Its not nearly as pleasurable as how much my inner scrotum is tingling reading about the revival of #freekickbulldogs in this thread.

Where were these people in the first two rounds?

My inner scrotum could've really done with a lift in moral.
They got more than us, I want our money back :madv1:

Imagine how much better our forward effectiveness would be if Naughton could kick straight. Not convinced he's improved that aspect of his game in the off-season. Lobb did kick two goals, one very fortuitous and one good one. However, he should be getting more separation from his much smaller opponents and taking a few more marks. His ruckwork is very so-so as well. Need more from him. Hopefully, he may develop his role with a bit more time.

Imagine how much better our forward effectiveness would be if Naughton could kick straight. Not convinced he's improved that aspect of his game in the off-season. Lobb did kick two goals, one very fortuitous and one good one. However, he should be getting more separation from his much smaller opponents and taking a few more marks. His ruckwork is very so-so as well. Need more from him. Hopefully, he may develop his role with a bit more time.
I thought Naughton really improved his goal kicking last year. Unfortunately it’s gone back to 2020-21 ratio which isn’t ideal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn't the club invest in someone to help Naughton specifically with his kicking.

The ROI if he started nailing them consistently is at least a few goals per week.
Our forward line coach might be able to help Naughts with his goal kicking technique after all his kicked a total of 13 goals in his 9 year AFL career

Our forward line coach might be able to help Naughts with his goal kicking technique after all his kicked a total of 13 goals in his 9 year AFL career
Spangher played for West Coast, Sydney and Hawthorn. He spent those 9 years amongst the most successful teams in the AFL era.

I’m as perplexed by our forward line structure as anyone but I doubt it is all down to one bloke in the coaches box.

I did a quick scan of assistant forward coaches across the league and it looks like most are former defenders or mids. Hansen and Caracella look to be the only Forwards I could see

Why wouldn't the club invest in someone to help Naughton specifically with his kicking.

The ROI if he started nailing them consistently is at least a few goals per week.
Nothing wrong with coaching to improve his goalkicking but no way is it worth a few goals a week.

Last year Naughton kicked 51.34 for a conversion rate of 60%.
Here's how he rated against other KPFs in 2022 (sorted by Conversion Rate, minimum 40 goals):

G​
BH​
Conversion Rate​
MarshallToddPort Adelaide
45​
15​
75.0%​
LynchTomRichmond
63​
27​
70.0%​
TaylorWalkerAdelaide
47​
23​
67.1%​
WrightPeterEssendon
53​
26​
67.1%​
CurnowCharlieCarlton
64​
32​
66.7%​
FranklinLanceSydney
52​
28​
65.0%​
CameronJeremyGeelong
65​
37​
63.7%​
MihocekBrodyCollingwood
41​
25​
62.1%​
CholMabiorGold Coast
44​
27​
62.0%​
HawkinsTomGeelong
67​
43​
60.9%​
NaughtonAaronWestern Bulldogs
60.0%
McKayHarryCarlton
45​
31​
59.2%​
RiewoldtJackRichmond
40​
30​
57.1%​
KingMaxSt Kilda
52​
41​
55.9%​

The median conversion rate among KPFs was 62.9% and the average was 63.7%. If you apply that 63.7% to Naughton's 85 scoring shots you would only get 3 more for the season. If you said we want to coach him to convert at a 70% conversion rate (ie close to best in the league) you still only get 8-9 more goals for the season. That would certainly be handy but it's unlikely to make a massive difference to our fortunes when you consider other areas we might want to spend our soft cap.

NB: I don't have stats for total misses (like the 2 he missed in the 2nd quarter on Thursday) but I'm assuming those numbers wouldn't be too divergent from the KPF average. I also don't have separate stats for set shots vs snaps from open play but I'm making the same assumption.

My point is that he's not the greatest shot for goal but he's not too far off what most other KPFs are doing. It was incredibly frustrating watching him miss those two shots on Thursday but I think over the season it'll probably work out pretty close to the average for the AFL's leading KPFs.

The trouble is, when he misses those shots it takes all the confidence out of the team.
Yes I would worry about that, as well as the missed chance itself. But then with dogwatch's table, Hawkins is about the same, and they won The Big One, so it wasn't a great issue for them ...... :think:

More of an issue when the team is struggling tho I guess

Last edited:
I reckon Lever played smarter, his zone off timing was perfect (particularly early). He'd go with Jamarra just enough and then peel back as soon as the kicker made up his mind.
It flat out looked like we were kicking to Andrews advantage

Saw Busslinger do this a couple of times in VFL. Started his move to where the ball was going right as the kick was executed.

Here is the pressure table, it has tackle attempts, tackles, pressure acts and pressure points...

View attachment 1646848
Hi OG, this is awesome thanks - if it’s not too much trouble would you have these for the first two rounds too?

Thanks

Edit: Damn, shows what a beast Naughty is defensively, 18 PA, 40 PPs and 5/5 tackles stuck. He’s a beast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back