Review Dogs beat Brions 67-53, JUH kicks 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Christ we’re gonna miss Liber whenever he hangs up the boots. Everyone talks about the other mids but imo he’s easily our most important. Definitely the heartbeat of the way we go about things.

I fear I may lose the passion for going to the games when Liber gives it away. It wont be the same without him.

He is a GUN getting close to my all time favourite Dogs player.

Liber has everything passion, grunt, skill, vision, and I can go on and such a unique character

Eloquently put. Yes, the kicks straight to Andrews had me screaming at the TV. I get they were probably expecting one of the talls to make a contest, but it just kept happening without any real adjustment, with a couple of exceptions (Bont, JJ).
Not dissimilar to kicking straight to lever a few weeks ago!

I fear I may lose the passion for going to the games when Liber gives it away. It wont be the same without him.

He is a GUN getting close to my all time favourite Dogs player.

Liber has everything passion, grunt, skill, vision, and I can go on and such a unique character
Hopfully he goes into coaching - imagine his press conferences....

Some quick thoughts after last night:
  • Really happy for JUH after the s**t he put up with this week.
  • Not impressed by this win at all. I don’t even think it’s a good launching pad to get the season back on track.
  • No, Daisy doesn’t hate us or was she biased against us. Fans need to realise that commentators aren’t going shower praise on a team every second of every game.
  • With how much this team struggles kicking goals, I’ll be more than happy to take 2 goals off Lobb a week.
  • Fire Bevo

A win is a win, this one on effort and pressure.

Great games by Bont, JUH, English Libba and all of the backline.

Artie certainly adds some positivety.

Dunkley was interesting. Either he or Harris Andrews were there best. It is interesting as he was our best last year too. A very good footballer who simply does not influence games.

Next week is the bigger test, was this a dead cat bounce

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know Lobb kicked two but I was really hoping for a little bit more out of him. The guy seems physically weak, he doesn't launch at the ball when its in the air and seems to get out muscled a hell of a lot. Some of his efforts when he didn't mark the ball were very ordinary. If you are going to have peroxide hair, arm tatts and be nearly seven foot tall I would expect a little more physicality and mongrel out of you.

To be honest I dont think he offers anymore than what Darcy does at the moment. He gets lead to the ball far to much!

Make some feel sick he he kicked 5 against us last year!! Shows how good we were! I'm hoping he comes good in terms of some aggression and the ability to bring the ball to ground in arial contests. With his height he should not be getting out marked ever!!

Overall the game was a scrappy affair like everyone has mentioned. My concern is once again the connection with the forwards however improved pressure and ground ball hardness got us over the line. If JJ plays it has to be of the half back line as at least he tries to overlap and get run.

Bailey dale is a good player. gets plenty of it but some of his efforts in close were pathetic at times. He squibbed a line ball contest which was disappointing and some of his efforts to tackle are half hearted. He needs to lift!

Garcia, never going to be a champion and will frustrate us with his kicking and fumbling at times but hey, he has a crack and thats something our team needs. Reminds me of a very young Luke Dahlhaus with his manic pressure.

Bailey smith, well, I dont know what to say, stat wise he looks like a champion but I just don't think he does enough defensive work instinctively. He's young I get it but for what we are going to have to pay to keep this kid in the future I would want to see some improvement in his kicking, defensive skills and overall being more damaging with the ball. The kick to JUH at the start is what she be expected more often from a bloke with your ability.

Bont...I love you to the moon and back though your clangers killed me in SuperCoach.

Jackson McRae, I have been a critic and I still think you don't hurt the opposition enough with the amount of ball you get however kudos to you for being far more defensively minded last night. You tackled harder, scrapped harder and it made a huge difference to the side. Bring that every week and drop the alter boy sad face when someone ignores you for a 15 min chip kick and I think you will get back to playing some good football.

JUH....patience my son...you are heading in the right direction and it will eventually start to happen more regularly for you. Especially if our mids can get it in their heads to actually kick it to your advantage! Keep working hard of the ball and trying to bring the ball to ground when you cant mark it.

Aaron Aaron Aaron... we love you.....but for FRICKS SAKE... you need to kick straight son!

Absolutely. When they subbed Fort off it left McInerney to solo ruck so from memory that meant some Lions mids had to help out in the ruck. Maybe even Dunkley? I was a few beers in so recollection isn't 100%.

Either way it was good to see us with a decent ruck approach (English primary, Lobb secondary, the odd KPF/KPD taking one inside 50) and the other team throwing others in there in the way we used to.

Lobb's problem last night was that he wasn't getting to contests and the Lions defenders kept intercepting - it looked terrible. If there's less of that and he can bring it to ground more, get a handful of possessions, a few hitouts and a goal or two then he'll be worth it.
As an aside, Naughton goes OK as a ruck locum.
He's good at so many different aspects of the game. I'm not sure he gets the credit he deserves for his versatility.

What that showed me is Naughton is a better forward on the move rather than sitting on his head.

The side almost has to play to his strength put it out in front of him let him jump at it and Naughton has to get on the move not be stationary.

A Naughton on the move with his jump will attract free kicks the opposition will panic
I think this is well known out there. Daisy Pearce's commentary at the time was that "nobody ran with him or impeded him" (I paraphrase) so they clearly know it's the way you have to counter Naughton. Our midfielders and co-forwards' roles are to make sure we stay one step ahead of them. Midfielders for delivery to the right spots and co-forwards to run the counter block on the oppo defenders or to run decoys in order to draw away defenders.

He's an athletic freak with high entertainment value. Any neutral watching that mark last night would surely have been thrilled by it. On top of that he has a superb game sense. That game sealing play by Naughton (the mark, the vision and the pinpoint quick kick) had it all on display.

Right now Bontempelli is the only player more important to us than Naughton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big difference the way he was deployed in non-CBA attendance last night. Rather than being plonked in the goalsquare he started at CHF and made his way into the middle to impact as required. Treloar/Libba/Bont taking up the majority of CBAs was a welcome sight, we need to try different combinations in there.
Good pickup. It's another constructive response to being slaughtered at centre bounces by pacy midfielders like Melbourne's. Macrae comes into his own as a midfielder in other areas of the ground, not at CBs.

Due credit to Bevo (or whoever thought it up).

I just got know idea on how we are going to play thought we were a good chance to beat dees certainties to beat the saints and after the that devasting loss no chance to beat the lions. The dogs are killing my footy tips.

Lobb can't seem to move freely. I think it's just his height factor. However I thought he deserves a fair go before I can decide - for all his perceived failing he's still settling in, had surgery a week ago and still managed to kick 2 goals. I mean, what were we expecting anyway? He's much maligned at the club he came from by the sound of it.

Lobb can't seem to move freely. I think it's just his height factor. However I thought he deserves a fair go before I can decide - for all his perceived failing he's still settling in, had surgery a week ago and still managed to kick 2 goals. I mean, what were we expecting anyway? He's much maligned at the club he came from by the sound of it.
Yes seems pretty early to come back one week after surgery and good effort to kick two. Hopefully he hasnt aggravated it

Jason Johannisen emptying his pockets after last night’s game.

1680260398100.png

Richmond look up for the taking next week. If we can get a result , 2-2 given our schedule wouldn't be the worst at all. Hopefully we can keep improving

Richmond look up for the taking next week. If we can get a result , 2-2 given our schedule wouldn't be the worst at all. Hopefully we can keep improving

They may get a few back next week

Just need to play with intensity and result will look after itself

They may get a few back next week

Just need to play with intensity and result will look after itself

Yep think if we bring the same intensity as we did yesterday we are in with a shot. Haven't beat them since 2019 so really hope the boys get up for this one.

One swallow does not make a summer, but for all the chat during the week about the team's workrate in addition to the commentary about the amount of running done over the offseason, this was pleasing to see.

View attachment 1644902View attachment 1644903View attachment 1644904
So this tracking data is pretty much the reverse of round 1 & 2. Could it be we are coming into the season a little bit unfit trying to time our peak towards the 2nd half of the year? Or am I giving them too much credit. Will have to wait and see

I think this is well known out there. Daisy Pearce's commentary at the time was that "nobody ran with him or impeded him" (I paraphrase) so they clearly know it's the way you have to counter Naughton. Our midfielders and co-forwards' roles are to make sure we stay one step ahead of them. Midfielders for delivery to the right spots and co-forwards to run the counter block on the oppo defenders or to run decoys in order to draw away defenders.

He's an athletic freak with high entertainment value. Any neutral watching that mark last night would surely have been thrilled by it. On top of that he has a superb game sense. That game sealing play by Naughton (the mark, the vision and the pinpoint quick kick) had it all on display.

Right now Bontempelli is the only player more important to us than Naughton.
If he could only kick straight…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back