Review Dogs 115 def Suns 67

Remove this Banner Ad

The boy Sanders looks like a young Ben Cousins - physical shape, his running style, socks up, calmness under pressure...

Let's hope he's somewhere near as good!

And makes better life choices!

Liber snr tagged Cousins to tears early in his career. Different era, recruits these days generally more prepared for the rigours of senior footy (unless targeted like Jack Watts).
I reckon Ryley Sanders will make oppo supporters cry with frustration. Not to mention the Tassie team when he rejects their overtures and signs a long contract to play under Bevo's successors and a first for AFL - co-coaches Bontempelli and Liberatore!

Yesterday showed why I’d much rather play Buku over Gardner. The difference in their defensive work is minimal yet Buku can intercept as opposed to aimless spoiling.

Buku more reliable kick too. Not perfect, but like Liam Jones, he knows his limitations and plays to them - give it to a better kick to clear the area, or at least once yesterday with no option went long down the line.

It would be the main 3 with Sanders & Gallagher that he's referring to.

It's deadset taking the piss when he speaks like that. Gallagher has a bright future but to lump him with that group when he had 11 touches and made a few noticeably slow mistakes when you have a 29 y/o 3x AA club stalwart doing what he's always done is insulting. We are trying to win games right now and Jacko is clearly the better option in achieving that.

Gallagher has shown some positive signs but he's had a bit of exposure now. Allow him to go the VFL and develop as the main man in the midfield if that's where you see him long term. He doesn't deserve to be ahead of Macrae because he's young and a little bit quicker. That flat out isn't the selection integrity that Bevo constantly refers to.
I want Gags to stay in the team. Wing and mid rotations. Can see him really building into it.

Happy for Macca to come in too, but want Gags to stay.

I was critical of Buku last week so hats off to him for yesterday’s effort. His marking was a feature and he improved his kicking ( or played to his strengths and didn’t try to be cute). Well done, even without the Coffield and Richards injuries he justified continued selection.
I only saw the game on tv and I note he did well in the pressure and player rankings but I was disappointed in English’s game. Given he was playing against a ( I think) three gamer I was disappointed that he didn’t dominate. Reinforced my view that he is not worth $1M a year. As I said previously I want him to stay but not at any cost.

On the week I muse whether he can play further up the ground on a wing, Cody kicks 6 straight :p

3rd goal particularly impressive - caught behind and goes the punch, recovers and tackles the suns player who got his crumb, gets the free and slots it from the boundary.
Could have been 8. Bonts goal at the very end of the first could have just as easily been Weightman’s marks, and he snapped another in the 3rd that was called back for an iffy free kick.

Who are the 5 inside mids who played there? Bont/Libba/Adz take 85-90% of them, Sanders with a handful and Gallagher/Rhylee getting the crumbs.
I think thats the group Bevo is referring to. Pretty rich to suggest that it’s good team management to let Gallagher and Sanders (as promising as they are) prevent Macrae and Daniel from access. He’s speaking as if we are embarking on a rebuild. Absurd.

We must have been within pissing distance of each other.

There were a few Doggies supporters on the wing carrying on at the start of the game, but it fizzled out within seconds. Everyone out on the wing was fine and seemed to sit/stand as required throughout the game.

Stop trying to make something out of nothing.
I was in the grandstand all day. Had this old bird infront of me telling people around her to ''shut up and stop yelling'' - including a very young autistic girl who (Yes, was yelling very loud) but enjoying herself.
Seems to be some real grumpy old fogies out in the Rat'

I was in the grandstand all day. Had this old bird infront of me telling people around her to ''shut up and stop yelling'' - including a very young autistic girl who (Yes, was yelling very loud) but enjoying herself.
Seems to be some real grumpy old fogies out in the Rat'

What else are you meant to do at the footy? It’s the main reason I go

I think thats the group Bevo is referring to. Pretty rich to suggest that it’s good team management to let Gallagher and Sanders (as promising as they are) prevent Macrae and Daniel from access. He’s speaking as if we are embarking on a rebuild. Absurd.
It's not a rebuild it's a significant evolution 😬

“Jack has still got to build and today at VFL level is probably enough evidence that he’s pretty ready to step up… we’ll work out what the shuffle is. Because of the five inside mids who play though there, none of them did anything wrong, so it becomes a bit of a team balance type decision as well.”

Get a *ing grip Bevo. You’ve insisted on playing six inside mids every game for the last five years, now 4 key forwards and like 9 running defenders for the last 12 months so don’t start spewing that BS now. It’s insulting, and I say that as someone who has been Bevo In all the way up until like August last year. Accept that Macrae owned you and your shitty decision to sideline him and then move on and start making some sensible decisions for this club.
Or did Bevo get the exact response from Jack that he was hoping for whilst also signalling to the team that no one is safe if they are not doing everything right.

Maybe he knows he can drop Jack and he won’t spit the dummy so using him as an example is a safe play.

Just a thought………

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Or did Bevo get the exact response from Jack that he was hoping for whilst also signalling to the team that no one is safe if they are not doing everything right.

Maybe he knows he can drop Jack and he won’t spit the dummy so using him as an example is a safe play.

Just a thought………
Macrae was dropped very early on by Macca when he was coach, he sucked it up and came back harder and stronger, said himself he deserved it.

We seemed to play alot more corridor than last week.
It helps when we have JJ and Dale playing their traditional attacking role off the half back line.

There was a real feeling that the shackles had been removed and the team was able to play their kind of game.

The problem with this is that the elite teams know that our Achilles heal is putting sustained pressure on our ball carriers. Something that Gold Coast couldn't do. Especially in the opening 20 metres when they manned Weightman like he had Ebola.

Im glad that Khamis got to play on a first gamer who despite the ridiculous commentary hype ran around like a kid high on sugar and straight out of the half time Oz kick game. It played to his strengths of reading the ball in flight and marking as apposed to being tied to playing deep and guarding a canny (but pretty s**t) leading forward who had him for size as he did last week. I know that he had his admirers last week, but I maintain that he was pretty poor. However, I also maintain that the fault for that lay elsewhere. Good on him and the coaching panel for playing him in a role that he is better suited too. I genuinely hope he can maintain the form he showed on the weekend.

Get a fit J'OD and shuffle a couple of fringe players into/out of the side and my optimism will rise from last weeks utter pessimism to cautiously optimistic. As we look to games that will go a long way towards shaping our season in the coming month or so.

As an aside. It's endlessly amusing to me and I fully acknowledge that my opinions are completely pliable and subject to change on a weekly basis.

So much so that after doing a long apprenticeship of s**t posting on BigFooty that I think its time I go and get a gig with AFL media.

Perhaps Corned Kane and I could do a weekly 3 hour show.

Last edited:
The acid test is not so much this week, but against Geelong in Round 4.

Yesterday was excellent, but have to back it up. Consistency is the key.

Things were going OK last year and we fell in a heap, so consistent effort has to be the pass mark.

Agree

It will be sometime before I can trust this side again

“Jack has still got to build and today at VFL level is probably enough evidence that he’s pretty ready to step up… we’ll work out what the shuffle is. Because of the five inside mids who play though there, none of them did anything wrong, so it becomes a bit of a team balance type decision as well.”

Get a *ing grip Bevo. You’ve insisted on playing six inside mids every game for the last five years, now 4 key forwards and like 9 running defenders for the last 12 months so don’t start spewing that BS now. It’s insulting, and I say that as someone who has been Bevo In all the way up until like August last year. Accept that Macrae owned you and your shitty decision to sideline him and then move on and start making some sensible decisions for this club.
I looked up the maths, and the across all games this season (excluding Dogs, which brings the average down, if we were tactically that way), the 4th most attending midfielder for a game attends 43.5%. The 5th most drops to 24.4%.

I think Macrae should be in the team too and we can figure out a way to make it work tactically, but Bevo's logic isn't entirely invalid.

The fouth and fifth midfielder are important, but they have to be able to play other posiitons for balance.

Bevo might see Libba, Bont and Treloar as midfielders who should get above-league-average attendance for the Rank 1, 2, 3 spot. I think that's a fair enough tactical assesment, and was the case last year.

How does Macrae fit into the above? He'll absolutely get a game if any of those three are injured, and play on ball, for starters.

Coaches Votes

Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Cody Weightman (WB)
3 Tim English (WB)
3 Tom Liberatore (WB)
2 Sam Collins (GCFC)
2 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Touk Miller (GCFC)
1 Adam Treloar (WB)

Coaches Votes

Western Bulldogs v Gold Coast​

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Cody Weightman (WB)
3 Tim English (WB)
3 Tom Liberatore (WB)
2 Sam Collins (GCFC)
2 Liam Jones (WB)
1 Touk Miller (GCFC)
1 Adam Treloar (WB)
At least one coach giving Miller votes over Treloar is pretty funny. Not that it really matters, but sometimes I wonder how much thought the coaches give to the votes when they've got a million other things to do post game and some media assistant taps them on the shoulder when they're in the middle of back-slapping a player or whatever.

At least one coach giving Miller votes over Treloar is pretty funny. Not that it really matters, but sometimes I wonder how much thought the coaches give to the votes when they've got a million other things to do post game and some media assistant taps them on the shoulder when they're in the middle of back-slapping a player or whatever.
The votes for English and Miller both seem odd. Wouldn't have had either in the top 10 personally.

Rowell and JJ were infinitely more impactful imo, but they're the experts I guess!

It helps when we have JJ and Dale playing their traditional attacking role off the half back line.

There was a real feeling that the shackles had been removed and the team was able to play their kind of game.

The problem with this is that the elite teams know that our Achilles heal is putting sustained pressure on our ball carriers. Something that Gold Coast couldn't do. Especially in the opening 20 metres when they manned Weightman like he had Ebola.

Im glad that Khamis got to play on a first gamer who despite the ridiculous commentary hype ran around like a kid high on sugar and straight out of the half time Oz kick game. It played to his strengths of reading the ball in flight and marking as apposed to being tied to playing deep and guarding a canny (but pretty s**t) leading forward who had him for size as he did last week. I know that he had his admirers last week, but I maintain that he was pretty poor. However, I also maintain that the fault for that lay elsewhere. Good on him and the coaching panel for playing him in a role that he is better suited too. I genuinely hope he can maintain the form he showed on the weekend.

Get a fit J'OD and shuffle a couple of fringe players into/out of the side and my optimism will rise from last weeks utter pessimism to cautiously optimistic. As we look to games that will go a long way towards shaping our season in the coming month or so.

As an aside. It's endlessly amusing to me and I fully acknowledge that my opinions are completely pliable and subject to change on a weekly basis.

So much so that after doing a long apprenticeship of s**t posting on BigFooty that I think its time I go and get a gig with AFL media.

Perhaps Corned Kane and I could do a weekly 3 hour show.
I thought JJ's running, and in particular the timing of those runs off half back was something to behold. With JJ, Dale, Red and now Bramble down there we sure do have some speed.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app

I thought JJ's running, and in particular the timing of those runs off half back was something to behold. With JJ, Dale, Red and now Bramble down there we sure do have some speed.

On SM-A505YN using BigFooty.com mobile app
And Baker speeding down the wing was also great to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back