Autopsy Dogs discombombulated by Mt Buller - 115 to 65

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone feel free to remind me exactly what Spangher had in his resume and experience that got him the gig as forwards coach.

HBF gets caught in a one on one against a key forward? Does it matter that he’s 168cm or 178cm? Not really, that’s a breakdown in our structure it’s not his problem
Agree but I guess you would argue that he should delegating himself/calling ferociously as well to ensure that isolated matchup doesn't happen/cover is there.

It's not even being outmarked factor that is his issue, there was a moment where Melb was rebounding through the corridor and he was sandwiched in between a few players running back. He was unable to apply any pressure to anyone, he could have peeled to the ball carrier to cause a pressured disposal, or ran ahead to the next in the chain while help arrived. He literally ran with them and was too slow to apply any pressure at all.

It's quite unfair to isolate him from atrocious team defence, but boy it was akin to a Daniel Cross/Grundy (i believe?) being run down situation.

HBF gets caught in a one on one against a key forward? Does it matter that he’s 168cm or 178cm? Not really, that’s a breakdown in our structure it’s not his problem

Agree with Immortal on this one.
I see him as real problem , whatever he did in the past is irrelevant.
He has been terrible down back now for the last couple of years and last night was no different.
Opposition all find a man , give him little to kick to and he will cough it up 2 or 3 times a game inside 50.
Add his size and lack of any speed he has become a liability down back.

Agree with Immortal on this one.
I see him as real problem , whatever he did in the past is irrelevant.
He has been terrible down back now for the last couple of years and last night was no different.
Opposition all find a man , give him little to kick to and he will cough it up 2 or 3 times a game inside 50.
Add his size and lack of any speed he has become a liability down back.
That’s exactly the problem though, he has little to kick to. His task (along with Dale) is to generate literally all of our offensive transition from a bunch of stagnant witches hats.

Our whole game plan from half back is to just give it to Dale and Daniel and hope for the best. Last night he genuinely missed easy targets but that’s uncharacteristic for him, put him at HB for Melbourne or Pies and he’d be AA again

Basically our assistants took off and we needed somebody to do the job

so anyone that put their hand up really, as opposed to finding someone more suitable to the role

One of my favourite things on here is noticing a trend early. Voicing my concerns. Getting jumped on by all and sundry. Then watching as years later the majority opinion turns to what I had noticed.
Caleb Daniel in defence, welcome to the club.
Daniel back then was elite with the ground ball and short to medium range kicking, and had an impressive top speed. He got out us out of trouble more times than I could count, and was genuinely our best player at one point.

Now, he fumbles, can’t hit a target and is slower than my nan. Little bit changed in the space of 3 years. You were wrong back then, and are right now, but it doesn’t make you right in hindsight

Last edited:
Does the defence push up to far ?
There were many times last night the got over the back that resulted in easy goals. ( ala all last year )
Lack of real leg speed just dosnt allow that tactic to work .

Keath ( completely cooked ) Daniel , Bruce ( do you really want the ball in his hands ? )
trying to get back to shut down space and compete was comical .
No DaleM , Wood or MBoyd in that lot.

Not all their fault , but just another Bevo tactic that from where I’m sitting borders on insanity.

Last edited:
The good the bad and the ugly:

GOOD: Nothing great - I am not sure we had a winner across the ground.

Bont had a good half a game but got taken out of the game after quarter time. This was really disappointing.

English was much better but still got completely played when Gawn wanted to. 130+ CD points would normally be better. I don’t think Lobb is a good ruck but when he wasn’t touching it forward and Gawn was playing with him - then putting Tim forward and giving Lobb a run could have got both of them in the game.

Trelor was generally good and probably the most aggressive. Best dogs player for me.

Dale and Richards were both good but for a team of dinosaurs could buy a mark upfield - part them but part the players been pushed under the ball too easily.

Bruce - apart from some crap kicks and poor positioning - he was solid in defence and played with some authority - would have been much worse without him standing up.

Scott - like everyone made a couple of errors but also was probably the only player that had the speed and fitness to keep up with Melbourne. Surprised by how quick he is. But most impressive is that unlike most of his teammates when it was time to go he went hard and selflessly. On at least three occasions he ran into packs and spoiled - running past others and hitting hard.

Baker - was that impressed yet. Has speed but seems to get gassed too quickly. Average kicking. But for a first game with us and first AFL for ??? He contributed and had some fight. Having said that Roarke performs consistently when the pressure is on and would have rewarded him.

Naughty - tried hard but I reckon putting him deep is causing us to kick crap into the forward line and he is our most mobile forward. Basically making him Hail Mary everything - good for TV crap for us. Would play him at CHF and have Lobb back and JUH on the flanks. Lobb would stay back but then draw big leads out. Darcy can be there for the put on your head.

JUH was almost good. 1:3 I think. He doesn’t yet play with power - more panic and spraying it. He led our time and time again to have our Mids kick it over his head. Didn’t like the Richardson Rant but did like him expecting better. Seemed to me like Melbourne were able to put pressure on to us and we had to adjust and take more steps - especially Smith and that made our forwards keep coming closer - then ball over head. More power for first steps and kick to where our forwards will have to run on to it and should be - trust our team to win it.

BAD: lots

While lots of their players including first gamers played with confidence and spunk - ours mostly looked undercertain and timid - not attacking with ferocity. This was across the ground with Melbourne appearing arrogant/alpha to all of their opponents. This was obvious from the start. It may make you hate them but worked for the Unsociable Hawks - we don’t have it at the moment.

Macrae and Libba were well below their best. Kickett rattle Libba. Williams was average, as was JJ and Duryea. We are entitled to expect much more from all of them.

Jones - lost him from half time but was not going for his marking. Hope he is OK - he was extraordinary in the practice mach.

UGLY: heaps

Keath is one of my favourites but appears has lost his mojo - he used to attack the ball - now he just chases and punches. He should have smashed his opponent but look off. I am a fan but that wasn’t something he would like to replay.

Daniel was well below his best. Really out of whack.

Smith was really poor - every disposal looked like a panic.

Mid defence - Melbourne flicked a switch and ran over us. Wasn’t complicated Gawn won / pushed it down and Petracca and Oliver didn’t rush but ran it out of the square - they were completely under control. We could not put a player on to neutralise them or make them change at all.

OK I have never been a fan of Hannan and don’t want to put down anyone talented enough to play at this level but I can’t see the logic of someone continuing to get picked - given all positions on the ground and not succeeding but keep getting picked. Didn’t lead, didn’t tackle or pressure, shark or kick goals or gut run and get into space and provide and outlet or join around the ball and strangle them. West and García and Khamis all add something? Can’t see how they are being left out.

Skills - missed easy goals dropped sitters. These are just about points they are momentum killers. At least twice a certain goal went down the other end - their is 24 points and momentum.

Aggression - if we don’t want to play with purpose and pressure we will not beat any top team. We waited for things to happen and even got pressured on the mark by being indecisive.

Genuine question - is forward delivery the responsibility of Spangher (forwards), Lade (midfield) or Webb (stoppages)?

I’m highly critical of us recruiting someone with no experience into a full time assistant role instead of as a development coach, but I’m also wary of placing all the blame on Spangher if our forwards are still leading to space and trying to have structure but are not getting the right connection from our midfield

That’s exactly the problem though, he has little to kick to. His task (along with Dale) is to generate literally all of our offensive transition from a bunch of stagnant witches hats.

Our whole game plan from half back is to just give it to Dale and Daniel and hope for the best. Last night he genuinely missed easy targets but that’s uncharacteristic for him, put him at HB for Melbourne or Pies and he’d be AA again

Yeah , some of that is valid.
But he desperately needs a 35 mtr or less target.
Unlike Dale who has a booming boot and is genuinely quick.

I was very concerned about him last night , he looks out of his depth against a pretty good football team.

Anyway for me it’s just one of the pieces that needs to change.
No doubt the bloke tried his heart out , just hope we can reinvent him.
He is a talented footballer.

There were many times last night the got over the back that resulted in easy goals. ( ala all last year )

Keath ( completely cooked ) Daniel , Bruce ( do you really want the ball in his hands ? )
No DaleM or MBoyd in that lot.

Not all their fault , but just another Bevo tactic that from where I’m sitting borders on insanity.
“Defence Pressing to high” words that were also belting out of my mouth at the game last night .
For a team like us a little on the slow slide of general field positioning… pressing that high is a little more “offensive minded” in coaching tactics then what it appears our teams actual ability to cover the ground as quick as Melb ( for example) can produce .
So while I feed pressing that high is prob a strategy reserved for “faster teams “ and I would play one or two players a little deeper in D while the rest extend up the ground everywhere else .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Defence Pressing to high” words that were also belting out of my mouth at the game last night .
For a team like us a little on the slow slide of general field positioning… pressing that high is a little more “offensive minded” in coaching tactics then what it appears our teams actual ability to cover the ground as quick as Melb ( for example) can produce .
So while I feed pressing that high is prob a strategy reserved for “faster teams “ and I would play one or two players a little deeper in D while the rest extend up the ground everywhere else .

Yep , all about personnel.
As I said earlier , no Morris , Wood or Mathew Boyd in this current backline.
Might of worked back in 2016 , but hasn’t worked since.

One of my favourite things on here is noticing a trend early. Voicing my concerns. Getting jumped on by all and sundry. Then watching as years later the majority opinion turns to what I had noticed.
Caleb Daniel in defence, welcome to the club.
What a hilariously arrogant comment.

One of your two examples was literally us not doing anything (ignoring the death of the Queen)
And the times we actually do something. At most it might get a few word mention during a board meeting minutes, and then handballed to the social media team. Or Bains types out a short letter in a few minutes in his own time and passes it off to the social media team. How it has any impact on our players training or playing. Or the boards ability to "do their job" beats me. It is like a few minutes out of thousands of hours they spend dealing with football related business. The board probably have lunch breaks and s**ts longer than any time that is spent on social issues.

Politically obsessed people like to throw "woke" at anything that breathes as soon as there is any issue, as a reason for things being how they are.

We were poor, Melbourne were better, full stop. And I get some want Bevo gone. But look what happened when we lost our assistants? Was no one out there to replace the level of assistants we had lost. Careful what you wish for.

The good the bad and the ugly:

GOOD: Nothing great - I am not sure we had a winner across the ground.

Bont had a good half a game but got taken out of the game after quarter time. This was really disappointing.

English was much better but still got completely played when Gawn wanted to. 130+ CD points would normally be better. I don’t think Lobb is a good ruck but when he wasn’t touching it forward and Gawn was playing with him - then putting Tim forward and giving Lobb a run could have got both of them in the game.

Trelor was generally good and probably the most aggressive. Best dogs player for me.

Dale and Richards were both good but for a team of dinosaurs could buy a mark upfield - part them but part the players been pushed under the ball too easily.

Bruce - apart from some crap kicks and poor positioning - he was solid in defence and played with some authority - would have been much worse without him standing up.

Scott - like everyone made a couple of errors but also was probably the only player that had the speed and fitness to keep up with Melbourne. Surprised by how quick he is. But most impressive is that unlike most of his teammates when it was time to go he went hard and selflessly. On at least three occasions he ran into packs and spoiled - running past others and hitting hard.

Baker - was that impressed yet. Has speed but seems to get gassed too quickly. Average kicking. But for a first game with us and first AFL for ??? He contributed and had some fight. Having said that Roarke performs consistently when the pressure is on and would have rewarded him.

Naughty - tried hard but I reckon putting him deep is causing us to kick crap into the forward line and he is our most mobile forward. Basically making him Hail Mary everything - good for TV crap for us. Would play him at CHF and have Lobb back and JUH on the flanks. Lobb would stay back but then draw big leads out. Darcy can be there for the put on your head.

JUH was almost good. 1:3 I think. He doesn’t yet play with power - more panic and spraying it. He led our time and time again to have our Mids kick it over his head. Didn’t like the Richardson Rant but did like him expecting better. Seemed to me like Melbourne were able to put pressure on to us and we had to adjust and take more steps - especially Smith and that made our forwards keep coming closer - then ball over head. More power for first steps and kick to where our forwards will have to run on to it and should be - trust our team to win it.

BAD: lots

While lots of their players including first gamers played with confidence and spunk - ours mostly looked undercertain and timid - not attacking with ferocity. This was across the ground with Melbourne appearing arrogant/alpha to all of their opponents. This was obvious from the start. It may make you hate them but worked for the Unsociable Hawks - we don’t have it at the moment.

Macrae and Libba were well below their best. Kickett rattle Libba. Williams was average, as was JJ and Duryea. We are entitled to expect much more from all of them.

Jones - lost him from half time but was not going for his marking. Hope he is OK - he was extraordinary in the practice mach.

UGLY: heaps

Keath is one of my favourites but appears has lost his mojo - he used to attack the ball - now he just chases and punches. He should have smashed his opponent but look off. I am a fan but that wasn’t something he would like to replay.

Daniel was well below his best. Really out of whack.

Smith was really poor - every disposal looked like a panic.

Mid defence - Melbourne flicked a switch and ran over us. Wasn’t complicated Gawn won / pushed it down and Petracca and Oliver didn’t rush but ran it out of the square - they were completely under control. We could not put a player on to neutralise them or make them change at all.

OK I have never been a fan of Hannan and don’t want to put down anyone talented enough to play at this level but I can’t see the logic of someone continuing to get picked - given all positions on the ground and not succeeding but keep getting picked. Didn’t lead, didn’t tackle or pressure, shark or kick goals or gut run and get into space and provide and outlet or join around the ball and strangle them. West and García and Khamis all add something? Can’t see how they are being left out.

Skills - missed easy goals dropped sitters. These are just about points they are momentum killers. At least twice a certain goal went down the other end - their is 24 points and momentum.

Aggression - if we don’t want to play with purpose and pressure we will not beat any top team. We waited for things to happen and even got pressured on the mark by being indecisive.
Great post as usual NBD.

Two points:
- agree that running Lobb in the ruck would have at least got him into the game, and English a breather. For a ruck/forward Lobb was burnt playing forward, and I think attended a single CB.

- Naughton up the ground - still think he can panic defenders playing deep, Lobb is a great set shot from range, and JUH is mobile too. Certainly keen to see them moving around a lot, swapping between deep and up the ground, need to isolate their defenders and spread other defenders who might try to spoil. All 3 are good marks - need to utilise all their strengths.

No DaleM , Wood or MBoyd in that lot.

We do push up too high yes.

What about that forward entry from Melbourne that bounced over the top of all of our defenders and into the lap of Brown for an easy goal in the goal square?

Since when the ** do defenders play more than a metre in front of their opponent inside 50?

Many of the highly rated teams played s**t house this weekend.

That makes me feel a bit better.
Have a feeling its going to be one of those seasons with a lot of "upsets" Gap between teams might not be as wide across the ladder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back