Autopsy Dogs discombombulated by Mt Buller - 115 to 65

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 73% / 63%
Daniel: 83% / 80%
Liberatore: 76% / 64%
Macrae: 77% / 68%
B. Smith: 66% / 54%
Treloar: 72% / 59%

2021 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 69% / 61%
Daniel: 79% / 70%
Liberatore: 72% / 58%
Macrae: 78% / 65%
B. Smith: 72% / 63%
Treloar: 73% / 58%
Thanks for that. A little surprised that most were better or similar during last season, than they were in 2021 where we made the grand final.

The one glaring outlier, look at the massive drop off with Smith.

They certainly got the rub of the green from the umpires, and more than their fair share of lucky bounces at important moments, which meant the margin on the scoreboard wasn't necessarily representative of the true difference between the sides.
That level of excuses took me back to my Monday morning's at primary school during the 70's

Last edited:
What drove me crazy was how often Keath ended up being the closest defender to Pickett - especially as the game wore on. I don't know what our smaller backs were doing. One of them needed to be on Pickett at all times. He was such a key figure for their forwardline.
You don't understand defensive zones. Players like pickett s**t themselves when we zone up. (Emoji here)

so anyone that put their hand up really, as opposed to finding someone more suitable to the role
End of 21 caught us off guard when assistants walked. Chris Grant says hi.

We had 12 months to correct the problem and all we got was Lade.....Chris Grant says Hi again.

Some positives:
  • English more competitive in Ruck
  • Richards continues to improve
  • Whilst not their best night JUH and Astro will be better from the run

Not positive:
  • F50 entries ... no improvement yet
  • Kicking blindly around corners and bombing it long, like bush footy ... Dees constantly hit the 15 metre short kick to space instead of blasting away
  • Team defence ... too easy for the Dees to move the ball
  • F50 pressure ... JUH and Astro were our best here. Garcia and West would be an upgrade on JJ and Hannan
  • Daniel taking off with no idea where he is going ... cost us at least 2 goals

The Dees have elite pressure but we constantly took an extra step or two and allowed the pressing player to effect kicks out of 50. For a player like Caleb this is criminal as he already lacks penetration and zip. Pickett the dog is a good player but we made him look like like prime Cyril Rioli.

2022 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 73% / 63%
Daniel: 83% / 80%
Liberatore: 76% / 64%
Macrae: 77% / 68%
B. Smith: 66% / 54%
Treloar: 72% / 59%

2021 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 69% / 61%
Daniel: 79% / 70%
Liberatore: 72% / 58%
Macrae: 78% / 65%
B. Smith: 72% / 63%
Treloar: 73% / 58%

Have a look at that. Daniel might be the only person in the history of sports that require the disposing of an object by foot to have his foot skill get worse but accuracy by foot get better across two seasons.

His Clangers also dropped from 3.1 per game in 2021 to 2 per game in 2022.

Would love to hear the explanation from other supporters regarding this. Super confusing.

Can’t believe Pickett’s gonna get two weeks. So does Smith need to be knocked out to get the 6+ he deserves? The mrp is such an idiot.
It seems odd given in the same week there were two court lodgements for long term concussion consequences.

Something is seriously wrong at the club. -

Apart from a few of players, the rest look like they have been gelded.

its a sad and sorry sight what this club has become.

Is Bevo making the players drink soy milk ?
Will Minson was the AA ruckman while drinking truckloads of soy milk.
Maybe we need more!

It seems odd given in the same week there were two court lodgements for long term concussion consequences.

It is. Pickett's was horrible, McAdam's might have been even worse yesterday.

What are the players thinking? It's ludicrous imo that injury sustained (or not) remains such a critical component of the punishment for the action. Stewart got four weeks for the Prestia hit, but those two this weekend were worse than that. If they end up with a couple each it makes a mockery of the system (which is already pretty laughable).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Smith played on, whereas the bloke that Buddy hit had to be helped off the ground and Buddy got one week. Does the MRP even know what it’s doing?

run chicken GIF by Andrea C.

A lot of the disposal errors were caused by the pressure of the opposition, which we seemed not to be prepared for. They dictated the game so we struggled to keep up then catch up. Hopefully we’ll be better prepared next week.

I know they're not disposals but Naughton and Bont's set shot misses at crucial moments happen way too often for reputed AAA players. Game-losing momentum killers. Now is their time.

Its always good to test yourself against the best. I said all last year we need to draft the best two onballers with our first two picks this year. I thought this is what we needed more than anything as this is where the game is won and lost. We are declining in this space and heading to the bottom in a couple of years unless its rectified quickly. We were smashed in the middle by a faster, stronger and well drilled team. Boy we could have done with a Mitch Hahn on sat night. Look at the Pies, Dees and Cats (last year) with there small forwards. That is the future of the game, hard running athlete's who can run all day, with GPS numbers that back it up.

Face facts, Petrucca and Oliver are a mile ahead of anything we have and are match winners. Bont can be but the rest are accumulators.

We are still good enough to bounce back and beat a lot of sides this year. Yet we need to start planning for the future now. Bendendo, Khamis, Jones all need to come into the side once over injuries, we need a different look, some athlete's. We may need to look at someone like Richards having spells on the ball. This year's draft and trading is so important.

Lewis Young who was not perfect by any means (needed to work on his 1 on 1) yet had more potential then both Keath and Cordy was let go and was never given 10 straight games at CHB? Strange decision, as he can actually mark the ball, I'm happy he is succeeding at Carlton. They obviously went all in of Lobb (i'm I'm sure he will play good games for us) yet was he our most pressing need with Darcy coming through, debatable? Daniel needs a fresh role at the club. Not sure what that is, up forward or even wing (if Hunter could do it). I just don't think you can afford a defender with his height, strength and speed limitations. Keath been gone for a few years, should only be backup now.

We can still have a decent year, but we a little off the best so we need to get stronger, faster, fitter and that involves constant tweaks to the best 22. We have moments in games but when it goes up a notch we can't sustain it.

Can’t believe Pickett’s gonna get two weeks. So does Smith need to be knocked out to get the 6+ he deserves? The mrp is such an idiot.

Right fist to the face. But nothing to see here.

View attachment 1634210

The MRP is a little more than a rubber stamp so compromised that's its only reason for being is getting the players back out onto the field asap.

Of course it has the veneer of legitimate process, but we all know the fix is in before any sentence is handed down.

It was set up this way.

The show after all must go on.

disperse-lesley-nielsen.gif

It’s really annoying how poorly prepared we have been for the round 1 since 2018.

We have a whole summer to prepare - then we come out in r 1 and play like a disorganised rabble.

We’ve lost every season opening since 2018, always badly, except for 2021.

Surely this one is on the coach.

Agree
My concern is round 1 will become some sort of a rivalry / tradition round and we will play Melbourne every year, we better learn quick

I wonder the outcome if it was Bailey Smith who bumped someone like that...

conclusions after watching game second time and looking at stats

we fkd up
on the field and in the box
but its ok

my greatest concern atm is the forward line and way it presents
they were way too stationary and flatfooted
i expect us to be running smalls for dinky leads 40 out from goal
our talls should be leading towards the ball not running back or sitting huddled under the ball
(in a gist: we need to be smart we should be compressing our forward and midfield lines by kicking short our defenders should be playing in front- forget kicking long mix it up honor leads honor leads and bomb to advantage -use our so called asset height to open holes and create one on ones - our mid are good enough to find them - stick fat)

they gave the mids nothing to work with
if their is one finger to be pointed at the mids is that
our mids beat theirs BUT around the ground not at the centre bounce where they destroyed us (we won contested ball, clearances around the ground we lost tackles but not from the midfield they were the only ones who did
I see it the other way around.

There was no sign of connective tissue apparent right across the ground and no amount of preseason drills seems to have fixed this issue. I would suggest that all our issues are with a midfield set up that has become dower and lacking in creativity.

The defenders had nothing to work with when trying to exit the defensive half. That is why we saw our two greatest offensive weapons run them selves into circles looking for options. Only to be forced by relentless pressure (something completely lacking in our side) into taking terrible options and biting off more than they could chew thus, inevitably turning over the ball with fundamental skill errors.

The forwards had a similar issue having to deal with diabolical forward entries. .The ball was either kicked onto, over their heads or to the advantage of Jake lever. I can still see the exasperated look on JUH face when having to deal with this on one too many occasions. They had a hard enough time dealing with that, it beggars belief what would've happened if May was playing and using his errrr..exceptional ability to errrrrr...manoeuvre his opponent under the ball.

Then there is the persistent heard of elephants in the locker room. Our midfields inability to cover the ground and transition into defensive or attacking positions quickly enough. Thus, making them ineffective witches hats for their opponents to move around. I dont claim to know whether its an issue of physicality or they way they are instructed to set up, but their inability to do so is burning us at both end of the ground and its been like this for 3 seasons.

So to me it suggests an issue that emanates from the coaching box.

Then there is the problem of the pile of elephant s**t left behind in the other corner. That of the passivity of the playing group when it all gets a bit hard...

Last edited:
It’s not just the loss, it’s the fact seemingly none of the issues from last year appear to be addressed.

And the fact we got pumped even with 4 of their better players missing.

But, you know, the coach will do...

Nothing, absolutely nothing.

The players?

Nope nothing. I'm sure they'll look and pretend to be tough though ('Need to make amends, really disappointing blah blah') and then they'll come out on game day and scurry back into their shells. That's us as a football club right now, soft. And other clubs know it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back