Autopsy Dogs discombombulated by Mt Buller - 115 to 65

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be surprised if Smith had have delayed symptoms. It was an uncalled-for hit.
It’s ridiculous. The afl definitely needs a red card system. It should’ve been brought in when Tom Stewart knocked out Dion Prestia, while he got to stay on the field and basically won Geelong the game on his own boot.

Just watched the game again, this time without whiskey.

What astounds me is that our so called great players like Baz and Macrae absolutely can be liabilities. The problem with these two is they are accumulators. Get a ton of ball but don't really hurt the opposition on a consistent basis. More worryingly is there limited ability to influence the game defensive, especially Macrae who lacks any physicality in his game on a consistent basis. I am not saying he is scared, because he isn't, what I am saying is his one pace game and lack of strength and aggression towards his opponent is becoming extremely obvious as the moment. I feel more questions need to be asked of him. I love the bloke, but the way he is playing is hurting us.

We all know bont is a champion but he isn't leading by example in the aggression stakes. Our midfielders are nice boys, none have mongrel except a bloke in his 30's named LIBBA. This guy is unbelievable, he stands for everything the club use to be and unfortunately our current crop of guys in the engine room don't. IM NOT TALKING POSSESSIONS! I'm talking scragging, slapping, holding, bumping and showing physical attributes that don't hit the stats sheet. His pressure causes teams to panic and unfortunately guys like McRae, ads, Smith and even bont to some degree don't. Ads had 6 tackles and was acceptable but it's not the tackles, its the second and third efforts in the cold face that we just don't have. Unfortunately, except for Libba these guys don't have it. Stats wise they look great but it's not what our team needs at the moment.

Secondly, I dont care whether beverage rates taggers or not but surely at some stage during the night you would think a discussion should of been had to limit Picketts and Petraccas influence especially because of the samples sizes in previous games. Could Scott not have gone for hard tag on either of them. He might have still got beat but I can assure you he would have have made it a lot more difficult on them than some of our so called superstars.

I think part of fixing us is having someone in the side that can play a lockdown role. Someone who's job it is to just stop or make the oppositions best mid life harder and limit their effectiveness. At the moment, the ball is just whizzing out of the middle the same way over and over again. How many times do you allow Petracca to run a straight line at the ball with no body contact.......FRUSTRATING!!

The other thing that I find completely frustrating is Bevos love affair with JJ and Hannan. Both have had interrupted preseasons but then get called up first up over other guys who have shown a little more. Baku, deserved a game, he would have done a hell of a lot more than Hannan. JJ, your time is up mate, you have been a good servant but you are not what we need anymore, especially the role they are trying to play you. Plus, like some of your buddies in the side you lack hardness and the physicality edge.

Unless Bevo gets some of our so called best players being more accountable, physical and wanting to die for the side it is going to be a very hard and frustrating year. Yes, our mids will all get it 25-35 times a game but where is it currently getting us. BEVO, please try something new!

PS... Caleb, unless you get back to hitting targets you're becoming a liability. You are not zippy, struggle physically defensivly and are playing uninspiring football at the moment.

Not saying any of these guys cant turn it around but questions need to be asked.

Last edited:
One of the most deflating losses I've witnessed for a long while.

Where's the leadership? Bont seems to have all the physical tools, but on game day, we get little in the way of leadership. Some of his skills particularly set shots are disgraceful.

Agree about the plodders. The list needs a proper clean out. A dozen gone at least.

Ugh. Zero motivation to follow this team if that's what we're going to be served up this year. They don't give a stuff, so why should I? Can't even bring myself to watch the presser it'll just be more of the same meek, BS excuses, when we all know the bloke in the chair is a big part of the problem.

Maybe one day the club will grow some balls and stand up to the coach? Or maybe not...
I agree with you, some of them look like they dont give a stuff

Aim was to put the team off and it worked. Never play well after a scuffle
It's a fair point. It's why I always bang on about our leadership and mental side. We aren't a mentally tough side with good leaders. We are talented but lack grit.
I never thought I'd see a dogs side quite like this.

One thing that was out of the ordinary was the 4/5 of rotating inside mid had below-average games usage-wise. Generally if 1 or 2 have a bad game the other 3 make up the difference but last night it was horrendous across the board except for Treloar...

2023 R1 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 60% / 39%
Liberatore: 72% / 62%
Macrae: 61% / 50%
B. Smith: 52% / 42%
Treloar: 75% / 59%

2022 Season (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 73% / 63%
Liberatore: 76% / 64%
Macrae: 77% / 68%
B. Smith: 66% / 54%
Treloar: 72% / 59%

One thing that was out of the ordinary was the 4/5 of rotating inside mid had below-average games usage-wise. Generally if 1 or 2 have a bad game the other 3 make up the difference but last night it was horrendous across the board except for Treloar...

2023 R1 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Bontempelli: 60% / 39%
Liberatore: 72% / 62%
Macrae: 61% / 50%
B. Smith: 52% / 42%
Treloar: 75% / 59%

2022 Season (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
I know its a pain. But do you have a 2021 vs 2022 season compassion? Throwing in Daniel as well

Most people say or feel we started to regress in disposal efficiency and kicking skills last season. Even I feel Baz was a better kick in 2021 than since. Curious to know if that is indeed the case.

Dees are officially beginning to feel like our boogiemen. No matter how fast a start we get off to, we just completely collapse and let the game get out of hand.

I'm begging Bevo to find a way to keep teams from running wild throughout the corridor. Melbourne went from end to end way, way too easily.

I’d go further and say that he’s one of the worst tactical coaches and strategists in the league.

He may have a great emotional quotient but even that’s wearing thin - he’s now lost the motivational ability that he once had.

The implosion of morale and belief in the fourth quarter might have had a bit to do with the shallowness of our onfield leadership (there’s not much after Bont) but ultimately it should be sheeted home to the coach. None of the usual excuses or buck passing please.

We look horribly prepared too. Some of that’s on the senior coach and the rest is on the assistants. I’m not just talking about physical fitness … but I suspect that’s a part of it.

If he was a new coach I’d say give him time but he’s had plenty of that already.

We’ve been here so many times before. He's got a strong list, had a whole summer to prepare and should have been bolstered by a new deputy coach. And we come out and serve up that cartload of turds. Not only has nothing improved, we may have regressed.

I’ve lost the last shreds of belief and hope I had for him. It feels like I’m watching the last throes of the Peter Rohde or Brendan Macartney years again.
You are so right about the Rhode and McCartney era repeat. No finals, new coach. We need a new coach full stop if this side does not improve from last year's mediocrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s really annoying how poorly prepared we have been for the round 1 since 2018.

We have a whole summer to prepare - then we come out in r 1 and play like a disorganised rabble.

We’ve lost every season opening since 2018, always badly, except for 2021.

Surely this one is on the coach.

Bitterly disappointing but gee whizz some of the bullshit posted.

Is it all over for Brisbane too?

Get a grip
I think we need to complain big time. WE are underperforming because the coaching and the list has not improved as it should. We . are in danger of becoming a North Melbourne club. COMPLAIN BIG. MEDIOCRITY SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED AT THIS CLUB. Yesterday's game was awful at all levels: tactically, skill, plan B and fitness. Not looking good and I hope I am completely wrong.

You are always trolling, but this is spot on.

I’m sure we will flat track bully sides like North, West coast, Essendon, Hawthorn and likely get over the likes of GWS, Adelaide, GC.

We may jag a win against a Carlton, Freo etc, but you just know we will get mauled by the top sides.

Melbourne, Collingwood, Geelong, Swans, even Richmond will toy with us.

We look very average unfortunately.
On yesterday's form we won't win that many. If we lose the next five, get rid of the coach. He has lost his players. I am really p$$sed off if anyone can tell. Sorry I sound WOKE.

Genuine question - is forward delivery the responsibility of Spangher (forwards), Lade (midfield) or Webb (stoppages)?

I’m highly critical of us recruiting someone with no experience into a full time assistant role instead of as a development coach, but I’m also wary of placing all the blame on Spangher if our forwards are still leading to space and trying to have structure but are not getting the right connection from our midfield

One of the failures of the club is I can’t think of any player who’s foot skills has improved since they have came to the club. If anything some have gone backwards.

Our foot skills are deplorable and not at AFL standard. We not only can’t hit a target we can’t kick it to their advantage.

In answer to your question I would say it’s the whole club’s responsibility to make sure foot skills are given the high importance it requires.

I know its a pain. But do you have a 2021 vs 2022 season compassion? Throwing in Daniel as well

Most people say or feel we started to regress in disposal efficiency and kicking skills last season. Even I feel Baz was a better kick in 2021 than since. Curious to know if that is indeed the case.

2022 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)
Daniel: 83% / 80%

2021 (Disposal Efficiency / Kicking Efficiency)

Bontempelli: 69% / 61%
Daniel: 79% / 70%
Liberatore: 72% / 58%
Macrae: 78% / 65%
B. Smith: 72% / 63%
Treloar: 73% / 58%

They got away at the end and kicked some (worryingly) easy goals, but for a long time we were ahead of level on scoring shots. We squandered our opportunities to put some distance between us and them, and while that was happening they seemed to be going out of their way to kick it to Libba.

There was a fair bit of poor skill. Some of it was caused by pressure but there were some shocking unforced errors on both sides.

The margin made it look like a belting but it was a scrap for a lot of the night. The Melbourne supporters I was watching with were burying their heads in their hands for most of the first half.
Let’s not kid ourselves. It was a genuine belting in the end.

We will rue the lost percentage from this game before the season is out.

We obviously don't know where the team is going from here. We might come out flying next week and end up putting a decent season together.

But for what its worth, I have felt for 12 months quite similar to how I did in 2010. At the beginning of 2010 we got talked up bigtime by the commentators and by us on this forum cause we came so close in 2009 and we had Barry Hall. But I always felt like 2009 was our best shot in that generation, and that in 2010 some of our best performers would just take a tiny step down the hill - not enough to stop us winning lots of H&A games. But enough that it would outweigh the Hall recruitment and we would be exposed at the pointy end. I felt like that last year too - that we were on the way down. And as it turned out we didn't even win lots of H&A games. In 2023 I feel like that again with our off-season recruiting and our "4-headed monster". It remains to be seen whether we can put together a 10 win season or a 15 win season. I honestly think either is possible - or anything in between. But I am pretty confident that wherever we end up on the table, at finals time we will not be measuring up.

So what am I saying? I'm saying that after 2010 proved we were definitely on our way down, we should have been much more aggressive with our list and tactical turnover. And I believe we should have done the same last year when 2022 proved we were on our way down. I'm not saying its cause we were too old - Geelong were older than us and they won the cup. I'm saying that it has been obvious for some time that we have many deficiencies - and they are growing bigger. And we often cover them up with strengths that are starting to waver.

We can either accept that and start trying to overhaul and evolve this team NOW. Or we can ride this team into the ground like we did in 2011 and 2012. And then we'll bottom out before we rebound again. I'll be here regardless - but I do wish we learnt our lesson this time. Truthfully, we've already made our decision - burning 2 good draft picks for Rory Lobb was a decision to ride this generation into the ground and bottom out.

I know some will think this is a kneejerk reaction to a poor loss. But I genuinely think we could turn this year around easily. And I thought the same last year - even when we sometimes got on a roll. We are definitely still capable of winning lots of games. But surely no one would back us against Melbourne or Geelong or Collingwood in September. We just have too many weaknesses - patch-up jobs don't work in September.

I don't know if Bevo is the answer, I don't know what is MORE of a problem out of our list or form or coaching or selection or tactics. All I know is that we are fighting the tide. And the longer we fight it, the longer it will take for us to be fighting WITH the tide.

Last edited:
conclusions after watching game second time and looking at stats

we fkd up
on the field and in the box
but its ok

my greatest concern atm is the forward line and way it presents
they were way too stationary and flatfooted
i expect us to be running smalls for dinky leads 40 out from goal
our talls should be leading towards the ball not running back or sitting huddled under the ball
(in a gist: we need to be smart we should be compressing our forward and midfield lines by kicking short our defenders should be playing in front- forget kicking long mix it up honor leads honor leads and bomb to advantage -use our so called asset height to open holes and create one on ones - our mid are good enough to find them - stick fat)

they gave the mids nothing to work with
if their is one finger to be pointed at the mids is that
our mids beat theirs BUT around the ground not at the centre bounce where they destroyed us (we won contested ball, clearances around the ground we lost tackles but not from the midfield they were the only ones who did

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back