Review Dogs 126 def Tigers 71

Remove this Banner Ad

Question for the more astute observers than me. Was our game style last night driven organically by personnel change or do you think there’s been a deliberate shift in our approach?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Discuss🤣

The answer is a 10000 word dissertation followed by tl/dr, a little from column A and a little from column B

"Only nine disposals, with only four kicks. I'm vindicated!"
30% improvement on the just 6 disposal games previously that a pretty impressive uptick. And great composure shown while at it. He isn't an analyst should stay in his lane just a direct attack on Bevo that doesn't stack up

Discuss🤣

The answer is a 10000 word dissertation followed by tl/dr, a little from column A and a little from column B

Well I hope the feedback from the players to the coaches is that they enjoyed kicking rather than hand balling and generally loved actually taking the game on quickly.

Well I hope the feedback from the players to the coaches is that they enjoyed kicking rather than hand balling and generally loved actually taking the game on quickly.

I might be imagining this but they did handball but in a slightly different way. The run and clean disposal from the back means they can handball laterally and even backwards, less often, but with more effect with a good ball using cavalry surging from the back.

It was alluded to a little in the commentary, but a better ball using back half, either by foot or by run, means the mids don't have to run back as far to defend because there's a better chance that they're going to recover in defence and then be able to launch a counter. Jones, in particular, was credited with giving that confidence to the mids, but JOD played a roll too it seems. Then there's any one of JJ, Richards, Duryea, Dale, Daniel or VDM using it. That's from counter attack but the same could apply to stoppages or CBs where good ball use surging from the back is an option and makes us less reliant on bombing for territory.

It seems amazing that this would be picked up by someone in the commentary team but it was. Might have been Hodge.

Without Gardner or Keath, Richmond couldn't leave a terrible kick alone deep in the back pocket!

I get so frustrated when Dale chips it to Gardner deep in the back pocket. Clearly the opposition deliberately leave him there alone just for that kick, so don't do it. Not only does it slow our momentum and take the ball out of the hands of Dale or Richards, but it also means they have another bloke somewhere blocking space or the corridor.

I might be imagining this but they did handball but in a slightly different way. The run and clean disposal from the back means they can handball laterally and even backwards, less often, but with more effect with a good ball using cavalry surging from the back.

It was alluded to a little in the commentary, but a better ball using back half, either by foot or by run, means the mids don't have to run back as far to defend because there's a better chance that they're going to recover in defence and then be able to launch a counter. Jones, in particular, was credited with giving that confidence to the mids, but JOD played a roll too it seems. Then there's any one of JJ, Richards, Duryea, Dale, Daniel or VDM using it. That's from counter attack but the same could apply to stoppages or CBs where good ball use surging from the back is an option and makes us less reliant on bombing for territory.

It seems amazing that this would be picked up by someone in the commentary team but it was. Might have been Hodge.
We were clearing the ball from the stoppages via our attacking side rather than going backwards first. It was particularly aggressive and noticeable in the first quarter. It was a welcome change, and we looked bloody awesome.

Probably aided by the fact that the Richmond coaches, supporters and players tend not to turn up at Marvell. Especially the players. Richmond was atrocious last night.

James Blanck is throwing out similar numbers to JOD and they're at the same stage of their careers.

I'm convinced JOD will be our next chb.

Question for the more astute observers than me. Was our game style last night driven organically by personnel change or do you think there’s been a deliberate shift in our approach?

These were the biggest factors:

1. JJ and Ed playing. They have super clean hands and usher the ball to the rebounders and overlap the best of our backline

2. Jones putting our defensive contest at more of an advantage than it’s had lately. Means it’s easier to whisk the ball away

3. The sheer numbers of having four capable rebounders which is the best we’ve had all year

I see the investment in VDM back and JOD as having been smart moves by Bev but there was a short term cost that’s hard to stomach.

JOD is clearly a talent we had to prioritise but it absolutely hijacked our season forcing him in tall lineups in the second quarter of the year

I was coming on here to praise the players and coach but all that I was going so say, has been said …..almost.
I was going to post that I was disappointed with Poulters performance, not his booming kick but rather his footy IQ and his handballs that are slightly off target always. But I see I have been comprehensively out voted. Similarly my thoughts on Arty Jones performance do not accord with a lot of other views. So well done to the players and coach and I will see myself out.

We were clearing the ball from the stoppages via our attacking side rather than going backwards first. It was particularly aggressive and noticeable in the first quarter. It was a welcome change, and we looked bloody awesome.

Probably aided by the fact that the Richmond coaches, supporters and players tend not to turn up at Marvell. Especially the players. Richmond was atrocious last night.
I was definitely imagining it then🤣

I may or may not have been in a fit condition to judge.

Slight rider: I'm gonna take your word for it Mutt coz I'm not gonna watch it again.

Last edited:
I was coming on here to praise the players and coach but all that I was going so say, has been said …..almost.
I was going to post that I was disappointed with Poulters performance, not his booming kick but rather his footy IQ and his handballs that are slightly off target always. But I see I have been comprehensively out voted. Similarly my thoughts on Arty Jones performance do not accord with a lot of other views. So well done to the players and coach and I will see myself out.

I thought Poulter was great by hand last night. Racked up 11 and I remember a couple not being great but thought he moved the play on great by hand

I thought Poulter was great by hand last night. Racked up 11 and I remember a couple not being great but thought he moved the play on great by hand
Many others have said he played well. Maybe the one or two poorer handballs he did just stayed in my mind and multiplied. I have nothing against him and like all of us I hope he develops into a great player. I am just not seeing it yet but maybe I am just late to the party (again)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think Arty had a knucklehead game last night

I thought Poulter was very good. Gets better every game. He has all the tools, I can see why he was a high draft pick. Everytime I see him, he shows something new. A couple weeks ago, it was a booming kick. Last night, he showed some vision and length with his handballs. Even his contested game is at an acceptable level. Only two more things that are below average left. One being his kicking off the opposite foot and the other being his marking. For a tall guy, his aerial work is pretty bad.

Many others have said he played well. Maybe the one or two poorer handballs he did just stayed in my mind and multiplied. I have nothing against him and like all of us I hope he develops into a great player. I am just not seeing it yet but maybe I am just late to the party (again)
He has an ungainly physical style sometimes which might be offputting. But if the ball ends up with a teammate with attacking options it shouldn't matter.

Agree on going small in the back half with better ball use being our best team.

Im wary of keath after a concussion again though. He took ages to come good after his first one.
I wasn't necessarily talking about this week.

I think given the relative conservative nature of our team selection that Keath will either replace JO'D or we'll revert to 3 keys of Jones, Keath and JO'D.

If it were up to me. It'd be Jones and one other depending on match ups.

Poulter gets the ball under pressure quite often. He plays the link-up and get-out-of-jail option because of his hard running to make position. He, therefore probably has more clangers than a completely outside "receiver". So your eyes are not deceiving you.

I don't think Poulter was good or bad, just people's frame of reference for basically 2 years of horrid wingers has done. We've effectively played fringe AFL talent there for a while.

That first quarter. Bring that every quarter of every week please. Haven't seen that sort of relentless forward press since the Port prelim

Can definitely see why we picked up Poulter, he probably would be still on another team's list and playing if he was at any other club than Collingwood last year. Getting better every week, yes he made a couple of noticeable clangers last night but that was the nature of the game it was played at an unbelievable pace, Bont even had 5 disposal clangers.

That’s a really good read of it actually looking back on the game last night. We hand balled in a far more offensively minded way.

A couple of Poulters handballs and kicks are a bit loopy, whereas if you watch Treloar’s they are razor sharp and don’t make a teammate stop and jump which kills momentum.

That’s a really good read of it actually looking back on the game last night. We hand balled in a far more offensively minded way.

My take has been questioned subsequently and without reviewing I can't say for sure. But there might be an intangible in there. That being the confidence of the midfield that the option to use them (running/kicking/attacking defenders) exists. That might affect the way they approach a stoppage and it might also affect the way the opposition approach a stoppage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back