Autopsy Dogs beaten by Port 107-85

Remove this Banner Ad

We are finally tanking. Trouble is even if we got pick 1 we would probably pick some spud up who nobody has heard of. The two big moves which are needed is Naughton back and Bevo sacked.
Regarding the two big moves If the latter happens the former is a formality ( well at least it will be considered)

Now that we have lost a bunch of games in a row Bevo can do what he does best. Backs against the wall, bla bla bla. Shame he can’t actually impact the result with game day decisions.

You just can’t compete when that top 15 aren’t there or are not at least breaking even with their opponent
See this is where I think we are being harsh. The last 3 weeks we could have won any of the 3 games we are just below standard by about 5%.We aren't getting flogged.

If we. Don't switch on in the next few weeks, then I'll worry

Other than Naughton playing as a backmen as a draftee why is there a call to move him there? Worst case scenario is a 50 goal a year forward. Playing back is much easier than playing forward, players such as Moore are there because they were poor forward. When the players up the ground refuse to be direct and the forward line isn't being setup up well, good luck to anyone down there.

Time to get Brad Johnson back as forwards coach?

Dureya has moments like two years ago but not enough.
Keath has moments as well.Some great some not so.Also two years ago.
Bruce tries hard but giving away goals is not defending.
Gardener and Obrien ditto.
Jones while a great recruit.Punches when he can.mark.That is age.
So with no Richards and JJ.Defence is cactus.
Had a chance to blood Busslinger and Cleary even Raak.But chose O'Donnell.
While love his attributes clearly isn't ready.
Selection is terrible recruiting older players is terrible.Not blooding younger players damning. Can't hide from father time of aging..And refreshing is not going to guarantee early success but at least it's positive.
Lobb l was neutral.Costing Darcy early but with injuries not so.Needs to take Naughtons place as key target.Puts pressure on him while Naughton regains confidence in defence and Bruce goes forward.
Won't happen and we won't be good enough either.
With another coach we may have better structure but not as competitive.So if you can get selection and recruitment right there is still hope.

There was a footy analysis show on last night after the game when I got home, can’t recall the numbers exactly though. But essentially I think they said over the last 2 seasons, we are something like 3-14 against top 8 sides in the last 2 years

That’s putrid

Time to get Brad Johnson back as forwards coach?
And Joel Corey. And a wise head with the balls to guide/stand up to Bevo like a Choco Williams or even get Eade back to fill that role.
Plus someone like a Tory Dickson to teach these f***ers how to kick a goal.

Saw some comments that Bruce was responsible for the first five Port goals. I paid special attention in my watch this morning and:

1st - dropped mark (lack of athleticism?)
2nd - went to ground, dragged under (lack of athleticism?)
3rd - Dickson had the sit, maybe could have gone harder at the ball
5th - went for the mark but Finlayson (?) had great height on his jump. Not sure spoiling would have been a better decision.
6th - slipped despite being in a better position, tiny hands in back (maybe). Richardson thought it was a harsh free and he was probably right.

Overall based on that first quarter, he looks even more clunky than before his injury against Port (never been a strength of his). Did we bring him back a week early?

I'm not sure that opening quarter screamed never again in the backline? Especially when O'Brien, Keath and Gardner are the competition.

Now that we have lost a bunch of games in a row Bevo can do what he does best. Backs against the wall, bla bla bla. Shame he can’t actually impact the result with game day decisions.

It'll be some fairytale about unicorns and goblins overcoming the odds to defeat the trolls from the neighbouring village or some made up tosh which has zero to do with strategy, tactics and skills, the areas we need the most.

Last edited:
Dureya has moments like two years ago but not enough.
Keath has moments as well.Some great some not so.Also two years ago.
Bruce tries hard but giving away goals is not defending.
Gardener and Obrien ditto.
Jones while a great recruit.Punches when he can.mark.That is age.
So with no Richards and JJ.Defence is cactus.
Had a chance to blood Busslinger and Cleary even Raak.But chose O'Donnell.
While love his attributes clearly isn't ready.
Selection is terrible recruiting older players is terrible.Not blooding younger players damning. Can't hide from father time of aging..And refreshing is not going to guarantee early success but at least it's positive.
Lobb l was neutral.Costing Darcy early but with injuries not so.Needs to take Naughtons place as key target.Puts pressure on him while Naughton regains confidence in defence and Bruce goes forward.
Won't happen and we won't be good enough either.
With another coach we may have better structure but not as competitive.So if you can get selection and recruitment right there is still hope.
Why would you blood Raak or Busslinger ahead of O’Donnell when they didn’t do near what O’Donnell has done at vfl level??

Raak hardly gets a kick in the vfl and Busslinger will improve but his getting a lot of goals kicked on him.

Are we still debating about a coach who won no more than 8 games in any one season is somehow better than a coach that has (or will) win at least 8 games in every single one of 9 seasons?
I can't see where anybody has said that. Saying that McCartney had one redeeming feature isn't the same as saying he was a good coach or is a better coach than Bevo.

Anyway, failure to "crack in" wasn't our problem last night so it's pretty irrelevant this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few comments:
  • We didn't lose it because of the umpiring but that was a shocking display. It seems to have got worse rather than better since they went with 4 umpires.
  • English is overrated as a ruckman. I reckon just play him as a libero midfielder where he could be a useful player. If we really think taps are worth winning get someone like Sweet in to at least neutralise them. Otherwise put Baker in the ruck. Keep English away from the hitouts. (Note: I think he got quite a few taps in the last qtr as his opponent tired so that'll make his stats look not quite as bad as his ruckwork was.)
  • Bailey Smith couldn't win a one-on-one against any decent hard-nosed midfielder or half back in the AFL. Like English he is overrated. I wouldn't get rid of him because we need his pace but the combination of poor disposal and lack of hard-arsed grunt means he's unlikely to ever reach elite level as a player. Just a good B-grader. Just underlines how much we're going to need to hit the draft for midfielders, because Baz was our great hope.
  • Arthur Jones ... sorry time for a break mate. I'm sure he'll come back as he has ability and heart but his confidence must be shot.
  • Libba is an inspiration. Intelligent footballer, determined and strong. Wish we could clone him.
  • Williams is one of our success stories in a disappointing year.
  • Marra is quietly moving from potential star to actual star. These days I have a lot of confidence that he'll mark or emerge with the ground ball. That wasn't the case last year or even in the first few games this year.
  • Treloar has some real ticker. At his third club against his wishes he could be excused for just collecting his cheque (sorry, his direct deposit) every week but he really tries his guts out. I love that. He was one of our best again.
  • Bont was much better this week. Daniel was again in the top 3.
  • I take back some of what I said about VDM. He did OK and has earned another shot at it next week.
Pretty much agree with most of this except English. He was very poor last night and got completely rattled by an old school physical ruck. But he has had a great season so will be interesting to see how he responds.

If that Baker shepard call happened against any other team there would be national outrage. But because it was against us there is nothing about it I’m the media at all. The amount of times I’ve read it’s the “right call” online when it hasn’t ever been called in my 30 years watching footy. Ridiculous

Is it just me or do the players only know how to play one style - fast and at all costs. looks great when it works, but sure is ugly when it doesn't , surely that's both bad coaching and a mentality issue going on, constant Panic panic panic. like a horse bolting at the start of the Melbourne Cup, yeah it might lead by 200 meters halfway around the track, but it ends up losing by 400-500 at the end of the race. the better sides don't seem to suffer from this as much, they take the game on when it needs to be, but then take their time and assess the situation when its needed. am I missing something ?
Do the players have the skill and nous to play another way?

It may not have been apparent, particularly if you were watching on TV, but Naughton was constantly interfered with, either being held or blocked off the ball.
He should have kicked a bag just from free kicks if the umpires were doing their job properly. Although he was beaten tonight the tactics applied to do so were certainly not within the rules.

I think this game should be scrutinised, and at least one of tonight's umpires should be having an extended break from AFL level duties.
This.

Defenders are just blatantly jumper grabbing Naughton to stop him from jumping (Aliir and that other campaigner). No wonder his confidence is shot.

Bevo needs to do a Horse Longmire and have a sook about it.

And while Naughton will always contest well on the ground, he doesn’t have the forward nous of a JUH to dangerously impact elsewhere.

Take away his jump and he’s screwed. Defenders know this and happy to just hold him until the umpires step in.

This emotional disconnect some of us are feeling for our players is strange.

Who would make you sad if they weren't on the list next year?

Bont obvs. Libba of course. Richards. After that, can't say I really get fired up or inspired by many others.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Daniel and Liam Jones. Treloar has also really made an impression on me this year.

How does Arthur Jones get 68 percent game time and not have a single possession? Wow that’s an ugly effort despite everything he’s given us earlier in the year. Luckiest bloke in footy that we have exactly nothing we could replace him with.
I was hoping he'd get one or two disposals even if they were only HBs and ineffective. That sort of thing can haunt a player for ages. Or can be used by opponents to taunt him. He'll need to be mentally tough to rebound quickly.

I hope they get around him this week.

If that Baker shepard call happened against any other team there would be national outrage. But because it was against us there is nothing about it I’m the media at all. The amount of times I’ve read it’s the “right call” online when it hasn’t ever been called in my 30 years watching footy. Ridiculous
Media are definitely talking about it

Interesting how much better we looked in the last few minutes when we played a bit more frenetically. We even got a 1 on 1 for Naughton with a beautiful Van der meer kick. In fact we played a lot better in the last quarter when we took a few risks.

Maybe when should not play so scared.

Interesting how much better we looked in the last few minutes when we played a bit more frenetically. We even got a 1 on 1 for Naughton with a beautiful Van der meer kick. In fact we played a lot better in the last quarter when we took a few risks.

We play better when we take the game on, run at the opposition instead trying to go around them.

Vs Cats we had 8or 9 players in the top 10 possession getters on the ground Last night probably 7 of the top 10 possession getters

Get the ball into the right players hands and get it forward by foot.

The best footy we played all year was nice and direct through the corridor with Dale, JJ & Red off half back. We lost JJ which sucked but how’d we respond? 4 key defenders instead 🤡

If we were able to generate quick ball into Naughty, Marra, Lobb & Cody we would kick a mountain of goals (well and behinds admittedly)

We just cannot do it, it’s slow build up play around the boundary, it’s the signs of a team devoid of any confidence. Watch any team right before they sack their coach and they play like this, too afraid to make a mistake in the corridor so take the safe options around the boundary. And we wonder why we can’t get a good look inside 50.

Daniel and Liam Jones. Treloar has also really made an impression on me this year.
Yes, happy to add those three; if they weren't on the list next year I'd miss them.

But there's over twenty blokes, in a jumper I love passionately, who feel generic, journeymen, characterless, uninteresting, or regrettably underequipped.

Just trying to work out the reasons why, in recent years, I'm feeling less inspired by, and emotionality connected to, our team.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back