Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

go you pups

M8 just wondering how you think Crozier is tracking?

Just had a look at Bev's presser. Boyd is a 'long way off'.

Asked about Trengove and talked about English. Sheesh Bev is stubborn. Just seems little chance Bev plays two rucks ever. Shrugged off Grundy's dominance in one sentence saying WC copped the same and won last week. Next sentence says Pies won due to outside hitouts but blamed our mids for not adjusting.

Gotta wonder - why was Trengove recruited given the coach's mindset? Perhaps another reason JMac is gone. Makes it it tough to recruit decent players if we are just going to s**t on them.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?.

Cavarra's not due back for 3-5 weeks and has shown nothing at this stage to suggest that he will come straight into the side.

I'm surprised there's not more foot stamping and demanding that English should be dropped for Sweet

Last night showed that really only one of Schache or English should be selected. And English’s 3rd quarter gives him the nod, he took some good marks and was decent around the ground. For the second week in a row Schache was non existent and for him to be successful he needs someone to put it in his lap and that doesn’t happen in high intensity games.

English needs help and probably more suited to KPF/2nd ruck with close to a 40/60 split. Trengrove to do it short term and hopefully Boyd long term with the 60/40 ruck/forward split.

I know he didn’t have many fans on this board but the past 2 weeks have been a classic example as to why I think we should have kept Tom Campbell. Not best 22 by any means but he helps in both games. We probably win against GC if he’s in rather than Schache.

Ahhh, come on, McLean doesn’t belong on that list.

Yeah, say what you want about McLean but he gives his all every game, is always composed and doesn't waste shots on goal. Our slow and cautious ball movement made for a nightmare game for all of our forwards.

We covered Cox pretty well until he was gifted that Mark and Goal IMO. When he played on it could have cost them the game if we had been a bit more polished.
Cox 69 Points Versus Naughton and Schache 59 Points.

Phillips 2
Stephenson 2
Thomas 2
Elliott 2
Lloyd 2

Not a great advert for the tall man, G-Man.

You’ve completely changed your argument.

A minute ago he was one of the poorest players on the pitch and not good enough.

Now that’s been pointed out as untrue you’ve let slip that you’ve basically got it in for the bloke regardless of how he plays.

Wash your mouth out.

That never happens on this board...

Yeah, say what you want about McLean but he gives his all every game, is always composed and doesn't waste shots on goal. Our slow and cautious ball movement made for a nightmare game for all of our forwards.
He also has genuine quality. I think he’s a bit lost at the moment. Neither a core midfielder nor a proper small forward. I think he’s been wasted.

I found myself wondering what the result would have been if Morris was playing? Going to be a very difficult player to replace when that day finally rolls around
Almost certain to be Morris's last season he will be difficult to replace. Everyone's time comes to an end.

You’ve completely changed your argument.

A minute ago he was one of the poorest players on the pitch and not good enough.

Now that’s been pointed out as untrue you’ve let slip that you’ve basically got it in for the bloke regardless of how he plays.
Where have I changed my argument again?

Seriously when you want to have a crack at peoples opinions at least grasp the English language.

Lloyd was very average at best. Flashing in for a cameo that people remember does not change that.

Braybrook Son a poster I respect disagreed with my opionin on the basis Lloyd was our best forward, his opinion which is neither right or wrong.

I merely in discussion with him opined that if he is correct in his opinion it is one of the many reasons why over 4 quarters we scored 9 goals.

Lloyd cost us nothing and is handy depth but he like many was poor overall last night.

Ahhh, come on, McLean doesn’t belong on that list.
Why? Did he play well? MD was merely in his way saying these players were poor.

They were or was another game played last night? MD could often word things differently but that does not make his underlying point wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goals: 0, 2, 5, 2. Genuine question, Naughton was the third quarter when we scored 5 goals. Does anyone
think that was designed or was it his own will.

Just rewatched the 3rd. He was involved in basically every scoring opportunity we had. Except for the dunkley goal but Richards kicked long to the pocket for a throw in instead of centring to Naughton who was on his own.

Very few of the poor players last night could be accused of a lack of effort, if any.

The concern with McClean is he was developing into a quality mid. Now he is being asked to go back to a role he developed away from and his impact is dropping.

He needs to get back into the midfield mix swapping with Wallis's current role

I am very pleased that Bailey Smith fell in our lap. Had a few first year player moments last night but also made some moves that were reminiscent of some of the stars of the competition. We have not only a super talent on our hands here but a great fit for the club. Just wait until he gets in a full preseason.

I'm surprised there's not more foot stamping and demanding that English should be dropped for Sweet
Sweet with less AFL experience is likely to also be towelled up in his first few games so it'll just be more of the same, with less impact around the ground. By the time Sweet makes the adjustment to the elite level it'll be beyond round 7 and, if the ruck problem is stopping us from winning, we may pick up a few more losses before then.

go you pups

M8 just wondering how you think Crozier is tracking?

Just had a look at Bev's presser. Boyd is a 'long way off'.

Asked about Trengove and talked about English. Sheesh Bev is stubborn. Just seems little chance Bev plays two rucks ever. Shrugged off Grundy's dominance in one sentence saying WC copped the same and won last week. Next sentence says Pies won due to outside hitouts but blamed our mids for not adjusting.

Gotta wonder - why was Trengove recruited given the coach's mindset? Perhaps another reason JMac is gone. Makes it it tough to recruit decent players if we are just going to s**t on them.
Crozier isn't getting as much as the ball as last year as Suckling is fit, Daniel got moved down there and Duryea has also came in

I never had a problem with Croziers ability in the air to read the game, it was when he was getting tons of the footy and either turning it over or doing nothing with it that melted me

Yep head scratcher on Trengove, he would've been competitive against Grundy, anyways what can you do? Bevo rates running ability over ruck work, always has and always will, it's like Sandi monstering Ayce all over again

Outsider looking in here. Whilst a lot of the commentary about the game revolves around how dominant Grundy was in the ruck, I really liked what I saw from Tim English in the third quarter. It's a credit to him and Beveridge as to how he was used to capitalise on what he could bring to the table, as opposed to what he was lacking.

In truth, he is probably two years away from making a huge impact on game in the ruck, but when looking at the way he adapted and started spreading to provide an option, he was quite instrumental in the Dogs' third quarter resurgence. I felt myself comparing the way he handled himself to the way Cal Sinclair responded (or didn't respond) against Melbourne and Gawn on Thursday night.

English made plays, worked hard and started offering something as a mobile ruck. Sinclair dropped his head and more or less gave up. So yeah, while it's fine to credit Grundy with his career-high hit outs and all that, there was enough from English to instill a fair amount of hope for the Dogs. When the chips were down, he didn't just go into his shell, which is a great sign.

Grundy is a beast, and I don't think you can expect English to be winning any body-to-body tussles with him, Gawn. Stef Martin types yet, but if he can continue to find avenues to contribute, it'll hold him in good stead.

Anyway... all the best. We reviewed the game on our site - link in the sig if you're interested.

I for one am actually happier with English this week than last week. Still ineffective in the ruck, but showed a lot more around the ground. We carried players who were far less effective than him without also having to ruck most of the night against one of the leagues best ruckmen. I think it's worth persisting with.

Well, and just the fact that his teammates started using him as well I think. I know rucks get the luxury most times of kicking under little pressure, but even so I reckon he has better footskills than half our mids. IF we are going to persist in losing 95% of the taps, we need to direct the ball through him as much as possible.

I thought they would win comfortably, but to blow a late lead and fade away in a close one without a ruckman and forward line was pretty impressive. Many label the Pies as having the best midfield in the competition, I always say they are overrated. But the fact our midfield either wins or almost breaks even in the clearances despite being spanked in the hitouts, shows that surely our midfield deserves a mention in the best midfield in the league conversations. Imagine we actually had a ruckman that wins hitouts and some to advantage, how much more dominant our midfield would be. Would be close to the best centre bounce team in the league.

We tired in the end. Cox, Elliot and Varcoe were probably the difference in the last quarter. Crozier and Bontempelli had huge games. Smith giving the middle finger to those saying he should be dropped every week. Once again proving that experience and continuity is more beneficial than being dropped weekly, or after just one bad game.

The same old issue let us down. Terrible turnovers that cost us goals, and an inefficient forward line. If we had a forward line that commanded a presence, we would be 4-0 in the win-loss column. Even in our wins against the Swans and Hawks, we struggled to kick for goal/make something happen for the majority of the game. The same issues as last year are there in the forward half, though a bit more improved. Defensively, structure wise and our midfield have stepped up a lot this year.

Still a young and not as experienced side on paper, so will take time to gel. We are probably another key tall defender short/as Bevo said in his press conference, we don't have a tall that can make a commanding aerial presence on players like Cox. If Schache and Boyd don't come along, need another tall forward that is a competitive beast, can clunk a mark and willing to hurt someone in the process, a small/medium with xfactor. Collingwood has a few and they hurt us when it mattered. Were too fast for our defenders when they broke off for a loose ball. And need a ruckman to give our mids a little extra on the plate.

Happy with how the team is progressing. Plenty of talent to build around.

Two things that PISSED me off though. Players having tunnel vision or a poor footballing IQ every week. A few players wide open at times and not being kicked to, and players picking a poor option to kick to/or sending a shocker of a kick to the intended target, and seeing it picked off and turned over. Stop kicking it across sidewides with an opposition player barreling downfield to cut it off, stop kicking it to players who are out numbered, stop kicking balls that hang in the air for a 100 years, allowing a defender caught miles off our forwards, to casually walk in and spoil the ball, when it should have been delivered low and fast. Some of the turnovers we produce each week are beyond head smashing, just stupid decisions as much as skill errors.

And the second, who was the other player, I know Daniels was one, who committed the same mistake not too far apart. Both players got the ball with tons of time and space to do something with it, yet both shat themselves like a deer caught in headlights when an opponent was still more than 5m away, yet still got tackled. HOW THE F do you get tackled/not dispose of the ball when you have all the space and time in the world. Absolutely no way either player should have been tackled in that situation, and coughing up a turnover for holding the ball when we were having the momentum. Daniel needs to stop trying to be cute and trying to take other players on one on one all the time and trying to step around them. He will get caught out a heap more times. A few players hold onto the ball too long.

Bring on the Blues next weekend, before the fixture starts to get tough.

You cannot judge a midfields worth without considering what a dominant ruckman brings to the table. Thats why Collingwoods midfield brigade is generally talked up more than ours. The fact is that we have a Big 3 with The Bont, Macrae and Libba being amongst the elite of the competition, it then trails off significantly to kids finding their way in the game in Smith and Richards or the likes of Wallis and Hunter who is in my view one of the least damaging high accumulators of the ball in the game. These two in particular have a propensity to kill momentum in its tracks with their slow loopy disposal by hand and foot or incision with ball in hand. Wallis at the very least ads a modicum of defensive pressure, something the flailing octopus Hunter just cannot manage. Running up and down the ground all night is all well and good, but its pointless if you cannot impact a contest when you get there.

Sorry needed to get that off my chest and your post seemed as good a place as any.

I am very pleased that Bailey Smith fell in our lap. Had a few first year player moments last night but also made some moves that were reminiscent of some of the stars of the competition. We have not only a super talent on our hands here but a great fit for the club. Just wait until he gets in a full preseason.

How sweet was that checkside goal. Almost had another one too

Well, and just the fact that his teammates started using him as well I think. I know rucks get the luxury most times of kicking under little pressure, but even so I reckon he has better footskills than half our mids. IF we are going to persist in losing 95% of the taps, we need to direct the ball through him as much as possible.
Yeah I'd kill for Wallis or Dunkley to have the foot skills of English

Sweet with less AFL experience is likely to also be towelled up in his first few games so it'll just be more of the same, with less impact around the ground. By the time Sweet makes the adjustment to the elite level it'll be beyond round 7 and, if the ruck problem is stopping us from winning, we may pick up a few more losses before then.

My uninformed assumption is that sweet probably lacks the tank needed and will gasp from stoppage to stoppage and provide no options in general play. We know how Bev feels about that. Happy to be told otherwise from VFL watchers that he motors around the ground....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back