Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not too distraught with that. Forget about the dodgy umpiring decisions ... Collingwood were just a bit too good in the end. I agree with Mutt that we ran out of legs after the short break. We were in control at 3/4 time. I said last week we should do some creative side changes to give us some fresher legs. I don't mind us dropping Young but he wasn't the one in need of a rest.

The good thing about that game was that it was played with finals type intensity and physicality in the second half and it was at the MCG. Great experience for the kids.

Bont and Crozier had outstanding games.
Macrae, Daniel and Libba very good.

A few others were good - Lloyd, Hunter, Suckling, maybe Cordy, McLean and Smith (at times).

JJ was tidy but not really damaging or line breaking. It probably wasn't that sort of game but he'll get better in the coming weeks.

A few players barely gave a yelp - Gowers, Schache, Richards, Dunkley. I was pretty unhappy with the games of Duryea, Wallis and Wood too. But you can't drop them all.

I'll have more to say about English and Naughton later.

We're not a long way off the pace but we need a few special ingredients to get there. A tap ruckman, a tall marking KPD (like Darcy Moore), another marking target up forward and an aggressive small forward would be a good start. The difficult ones are experience and physical development. Probably not this year ... but 2016 showed us that things can change quickly.

Dunkley's kicking frightens me even more than Wallis'.
Dunkley had a skill issue but Wallis seems to have a decision making issue as well. It's a weekly howler or two - his turnover to gift collingwood their opening goal just shouldn't happen from a senior player.

Noticed Naughton getting double teamed a few times by the Collingwood defenders when we'd go for the forward 50 entry. Resulted in a ball spilling to the ground nearly every time, but we were getting nothing out of it. This is exactly why we need a proper small forward. Playing a s**t load of midfielder types as medium forwards is getting us nowhere (Dunkley, McLean, Lloyd, Gowers, etc). Wallis needs to be permanent forward, Dunkley needs to stay away from the forward 50, McLean needs to spend far more time in the middle, and we desperately need to find ourselves a decent small forward

Anyone else believe that 'snicko' technology that was used for Suckling's goal. You've got to be kidding me?! 50,000 screaming and the ball hitting the post caused a huge wave length?! Laughable

Edit: not disputing the call, just the technology used to prove it

Noticed Naughton getting double teamed a few times by the Collingwood defenders when we'd go for the forward 50 entry. Resulted in a ball spilling to the ground nearly every time, but we were getting nothing out of it. This is exactly why we need a proper small forward. Playing a s**t load of midfielder types as medium forwards is getting us nowhere (Dunkley, McLean, Lloyd, Gowers, etc). Wallis needs to be permanent forward, Dunkley needs to stay away from the forward 50, McLean needs to spend far more time in the middle, and we desperately need to find ourselves a decent small forward

Hard to argue with any of this. Nice our midfield rotation is so deep but if anything it’s too deep that we find inside mids too often forward, making us lack natural smalls.

5 day break didn't help but...

I don't know what everyone else thinks but it seems to me there is too massive a gap between our best six or so and our worst six every week. Bont, Macrae, Libba, Hunter, Wallis, Daniel and Suckling are consistently carrying a few others and having to make up for the fact that our ruck set up stinks at the moment.

Don't mind what Cordy, Durea, Crozier and Wood are doing in the backline, they are primarily playing as stoppers and have been doing their jobs.

Big problems for us are the Ruck division, a KPB and, Naughton aside, the forward line. Full stop. So...

English needs to go back to the twos for career development if we have anyone else to come in. He's not competitive against decent opposition and most teams can provide him with decent opposition. Who is available? Trenners? Surfin' Bird Tommy Boyd?

Gowers had no impact for the second week in a row. To much nearly, nearly but not quite. And then the disappearing act. Back to the VFL. Lipinski in?

Richards is not getting enough possessions. VFL. Williams in?

Tory played a bit like a rotisserie chicken that has been left on for too long. There were bits flaying around but that was about it for most of the night. Bailey Dale shoud come in next week.

And Schache continues to live off one tiny glimpse of form every four matches. Right now, I'd prefer Lin Jong as CHF, to be honest

Do you guys forget just how bad Tom Boyd has been for the last two years?

I know people are frustrated with Schache, and rightly so, but Boyd was serving up the exact same performances every week when he was last playing.
I get that Boyd has had some struggles but he was 21-22 years of age consistently going up in a pack mark situation with a bunch of defenders and consistently being ragged and then getting asked to ruck because Roughead was getting slaughtered. I reckon throw the dice and have him and Schache in the forward line. I want to see Tom Boyd isolated one on one. Just never happened because of our style of play. Tony Lockett would have struggled with our game plan....

I meant his comment about Schache never playing again. I know this is a melt thread, but that’s laughable.

I take your point, but Schache is looking increasingly marginal as an AFL player. He's got to get some consistency into his game, especially taking marks in the forward line.

I know he is a fan favourite but would Cordy get a game at any top 8 side?
He was slaughtered in the last quarter by a literal easter egg.
This is the fault of the coaching staff leaving him as the only key defender.

Mason Cox is a seriously good footballer. Yes he’s tall and ungainly but his hands are a vice.

When Collingwood actually play to his strengths he’s tough to stop. Even Alex Rance had trouble with him in the PF.

Imo Crozier did a brilliant job on Elliot but I would much prefer him be the help defender than Duryea (who seemed like that was his role the majority of the night).Duyrea is very good at cutting off leads and closing down space but he’s useless under the high ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take your point, but Schache is looking increasingly marginal as an AFL player. He's got to get some consistency into his game, especially taking marks in the forward line.

Can you trade blokes in the mid year coz I’d be trading Schache to Deer Park.

Deadset pea heart

I’d honestly rather have Lin Jong at FF than Schache coz at least Jong will have a f&cking dip.

I cannot stand watching Josh shirk issues and not compete anymore, he is a bloody embarrassment

I said the same thing. Great minds think alike! Jong shats on Schache right now as the CHF.

Towards the end of 2016 we had probably the most dangerous fleet of small forwards around (peak Dickson, Stringer, Smith and Picko with a capable hand from resting mids). Hard to believe how hard we’ve fallen away in that area.

Not angry about that one. Did well to come close to pinching it.

Good
  1. Naughton in the 3rd.
  2. Bont and Macrae never gave up.
  3. Smith is looking more comfortable.
  4. Crozier is seriously coming good.
  5. General midfield effort.
Bad
  1. Seriously cannot give away such an advantage in the ruck. Trengove gives competitive effort in the short term. English has a lot of scope for improvement but it’s getting embarrassing.
  2. Schache offered little. Boyd would certainly give more in the ruck and hits packs harder, though doubt he will be in the frame in the next month.
  3. Wood had a few solid efforts but the times he ran himself into trouble and got caught were painful. Struggling.
  4. Turnovers in general, particularly some howlers from Wallis, Wood, Daniel (who was mostly reliable) and Libba while under no pressure.
Look, we’re much better than last year but we really need to learn how to move the call forward because we just burn our forwards.

Don’t have much faith in the long term value of Lloyd and Duryea. Helpful stop gaps at best but neither is setting the world on fire.

The pressure and running ability of Lipinski and Greene would make us better, no?

Individually they might not be anything special but I think they add more that Gowers and Dickson to the balance of our forward half.
Leaving aside that Greene got some sort of serious injury in the VFL tonight so he's not in the equation for a while, we have to remember he's still just a broomstick. 187cm tall but only 75kg. He would have been crushed or swept aside by the hard-bodied Collingwood defenders in the seniors game.

I still think he's a prospect but right now it's only through forward smarts and finding space. He needs to bulk up if he's going to make it as an AFL player.

Dunkley had a skill issue but Wallis seems to have a decision making issue as well. It's a weekly howler or two - his turnover to gift collingwood their opening goal just shouldn't happen from a senior player.

Yep Wallis ego writes cheques his field kicking cant cash

Losing cavarra hurts I think. Would have been perfect for the role.
We are so one dimension at the moment and lack so much speed.
I think we should also enquire about either Butler, Costagna or shai Bolton from the Tigers.

We played the runners up off a 5 day break and come up short.

Just needed to play the big moments better and needed some class and had to be cleaner at some stages.

With Naughton forward he flies for everything and comes in from everywhere we need a good small forward who knows how to position himself for those crumbs that come from Naughtons efforts. Small crumbing forward who does not fear kicking goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back