Social Domestic grievances. That's it, let it all out.

Remove this Banner Ad

So the wife says last night that she's got a hair appointment today after work and she'll be home late..

Me: What time will you be home then?
Her: Same time I'm always home after a hair appointment.
Me: Uh.. I didn't know there was a set time. Can you just tell me?
Her: I'd rather you just had more awareness.
Me: Okay fine. Get your own dinner. Night.

Is it that hard to just answer a ******* question? The options are; a) answer a simple question or b) have a fight about something stupid. Why would you consciously choose b?
Especially considering my GF's appointments range anywhere from 1.5 hours to 4!!!

So the wife says last night that she's got a hair appointment today after work and she'll be home late..

Is it that hard to just answer a ******* question? The options are; a) answer a simple question or b) have a fight about something stupid. Why would you consciously choose b?
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Scenario 1:
Beerfish tries to politely get an indication of time.
Beerfish apparently has no awareness.
Beerfish loses.

Scenario 2:
Beerfish: Are you getting a cut only or a cut and colour?
Wife: I didn't say colour did I, I said a ******* cut!
Beerfish apparently can't listen properly.
Beerfish loses

Scenario 3:
Beerfish: Ok, see you at 6:30
Wife walks in at 7:30, Beerfish has finished dinner and the wife has to nuke hers and eat alone
Never mind that the dishes are done, Beerfish loses.

Scenario 4:
Beerfish just gets a takeaway pizza on the way home from work and leaves the empty box on the kitchen bench
Wife comes home, sees box, notices it's empty, has to have baked beans.
Beerfish loses.

Since you're in trouble anyway you should do scenario 4.

Especially considering my GF's appointments range anywhere from 1.5 hours to 4!!!
******* EXACTLY!

Pweter I had already decided on a variation of scenario 4. Picking up a pizza on the way home but I did the considerate thing and emailed her to see if she was okay with having the leftover quiche in the fridge (that I made last night and had for lunch today whilst she didn't because she was going out for lunch). She said she was fine with that and hey, I could have some quiche too if I like because she had a naked burrito for lunch and won't need much. I told her that quiche for 3 meals in a row was probably a bit much despite how ******* awesome it was (awareness anyone?).

It's an art form. I can count on one hand the number of times my better half has answered a question without first asking one "Why do you want to know?" in return. Well duh, generally because I ******* well want to know!!!!!!! There is no why!!!!!!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Scenario 1:
Beerfish tries to politely get an indication of time.
Beerfish apparently has no awareness.
Beerfish loses.

Scenario 2:
Beerfish: Are you getting a cut only or a cut and colour?
Wife: I didn't say colour did I, I said a ******* cut!
Beerfish apparently can't listen properly.
Beerfish loses

Scenario 3:
Beerfish: Ok, see you at 6:30
Wife walks in at 7:30, Beerfish has finished dinner and the wife has to nuke hers and eat alone
Never mind that the dishes are done, Beerfish loses.

Scenario 4:
Beerfish just gets a takeaway pizza on the way home from work and leaves the empty box on the kitchen bench
Wife comes home, sees box, notices it's empty, has to have baked beans.
Beerfish loses.

Since you're in trouble anyway you should do scenario 4.

Upon witnessing empty pizza box, wife turns to Beerfish, who duly asks her - 'something different about you, is that a new top?'

Beerfish no lose - Beerfish DEAD.

Upon witnessing empty pizza box, wife turns to Beerfish, who duly asks her - 'something different about you, is that a new top?'

Beerfish no lose - Beerfish DEAD.
Years ago she once admonished me for failing to comment on her hair after an appointment one day so for years after that as soon as she walked through the door after an appointment I'd say 'your hair looks nice'. I stopped a while ago and she doesn't say anything any more. I've chalked it up as a victory.

I leave for work in the morning, house messy...as I leave I ask "what you up to today?"

Humpf.. cleaning this place all day.. ofcourse.

I get home, house unchanged... Ahh she must have gone out, good.

"What did you do today?"

Humpf.. I told you I had to clean all day!!!!

Ummm moon looks around... Internal brain convo.. it's a mess.. do I ask where did you clean? You know where this ends.. but pride, how can you not..

"Umm where"?

evidently she had spent all day cleaning the louvres on a blind or dusting the unseen edges ontop of a cabinet near the ceiling... Rather than you know.. active mess, the floor, the table,the dishes

Hmm

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I leave for work in the morning, house messy...as I leave I ask "what you up to today?"

"What did you do today?"

Ummm moon looks around... Internal brain convo.. it's a mess.. do I ask where did you clean? You know where this ends.. but pride, how can you not..

"Umm where"?

evidently she had spent all day cleaning the louvres on a blind or dusting the unseen edges ontop of a cabinet near the ceiling... Rather than you know.. active mess, the floor, the table,the dishes

Hmm

hot-stove-750x400.jpg

"What did you do today?"

"Umm where"?

Hmm

OHMYGODYESSS!!

My wife is home Monday to Thursday. I come home from work on those days and there's s**t everywhere and she'll ask 'How was you day?'
My reply is always made whilst I start putting dishes in the dishwasher, picking up kids clothes in the lounge room that have been on the floor all day or cleaning the kitchen in front of her 'Yeah ok until I had to come home to this.'
And I s**t you not he reply will almost always be 'Oh well we just got home not that long ago.' WHERE THE * DO YOU GO??
It takes five to ten minutes to sort out the kitchen at the most. AT THE MOST.

I now mock her that if there's anything she hasn't done I say 'Well you must've just got home....'

It's probably not the healthiest thing for us to say to each other but damn if it doesn't make me feel good.

OHMYGODYESSS!!

My wife is home Monday to Thursday. I come home from work on those days and there's s**t everywhere and she'll ask 'How was you day?'
My reply is always made whilst I start putting dishes in the dishwasher, picking up kids clothes in the lounge room that have been on the floor all day or cleaning the kitchen in front of her 'Yeah ok until I had to come home to this.'
And I s**t you not he reply will almost always be 'Oh well we just got home not that long ago.' WHERE THE **** DO YOU GO??
It takes five to ten minutes to sort out the kitchen at the most. AT THE MOST.

I now mock her that if there's anything she hasn't done I say 'Well you must've just got home....'

It's probably not the healthiest thing for us to say to each other but damn if it doesn't make me feel good.

Does this mean that if you have jobs to do you can just go out in order to avoid them?

You should give it a try one day. Come home on dusk when you were meant to mow the lawns that day and say "oh, I've only just got home", go crack a beer and turn on the telly.

I don't mind the house being a mess.. I understand it's hard keeping 2 kids apart and sorted.

But don't spend 5 hours cleaning a blind when 30 mins picking up stuff and loading a dishwasher would make 500 times more difference to the end result.

Does this mean that if you have jobs to do you can just go out in order to avoid them?

You should give it a try one day. Come home on dusk when you were meant to mow the lawns that day and say "oh, I've only just got home", go crack a beer and turn on the telly.

She'd never tell me to mow the lawn cos she knows that I actually enjoy doing it. I find it very cathartic.
The only thing she'll crack it at me over is if I put the towels away. If you hate the way I put them away put them away yourself!
Sometimes they'll just sit there for ages (like two weeks) waiting for her to put them away and I'll finally lose it and throw them in the hallway cupboard.
She'll then complain about it. It's mental.

I can't keep everything tidy for the family. I have my limits. The towels are the gunpowder.

Here's one...

Every guy has 'the' moment

The moment when your future father in laws barrier comes down - the tipping point when you transform from the enemy trying to steal his precious daughter, to an ally in the struggle against the opposite sex.

It may happen over a few beers, it may happen in front of the footy, mine happened in the kitchen.

It happened about a year in - after a full year of stilted conversions, it was pretty much a year long job interview...

Then, one night, we are in the kitchen at my place, he opens the cupboard to throw something into the rubbish bin...

in goes the apple core - the bin bag follows it in.

"I see Emma has been putting the bin bags in again...."

it was only a throwaway line, but I knew what it meant - he was passing the baton over to me, the 24 years of domestic idiosyncrasies he had been dealing with, were now mine. Good luck.

Id made the grade, the wall was down, now we were kin, in the struggle against the tyranny of the of domestic opposite sex wars.

Really, is it so hard to fold the bin bag over the sides of the bin?

while on the bin, I accept its my job to take it out, I don't mind. I see it as a badge of honour, daddy does the bins!

our bin is in the cupboard, so you don't really see it - sometimes I open the door and throw in a banana peel, hmm, sounded weird.. oh. the bag is full and tied up, still in there, now there is rubbish on top of it!

next day, drop in a toast crust.. hmm sounded plastic - look in, oh, there is NO bag in there - she's taken the rubbish out and not replaced the bag..

hmm.

why didn't you put a new bag in?

"I didn't have time"

the struggle.
My wife ties off the full bin but then leaves it there! So i arrive at the bin with hands full of crap and slowly turn around take it back to bench. To be fair she has pretty much stopped doing this after years of gentle needling and comic episodes.

My wife ties off the full bin but then leaves it there! So i arrive at the bin with hands full of crap and slowly turn around take it back to bench. To be fair she has pretty much stopped doing this after years of gentle needling and comic episodes.

yehh I get that one too - think its code for 'the bin is full, take it out please'

Ah yes, the guessing game.. such an easily laid trap yet so hard to avoid.

Got me last night. “you’ve done something wrong and I’m pissed off about it”, followed by “I’m even more pissed off now because you didn’t instantly know what it was”. Much grovelling ensued......sigh.

Got me last night. “you’ve done something wrong and I’m pissed off about it”, followed by “I’m even more pissed off now because you didn’t instantly know what it was”. Much grovelling ensued......sigh.

Here's how you answer that: 'Darling, I know I let you down and I'm so disappointed in myself. I hate arguing & I treasure our relationship so much that I don't want anything getting in the way of it. I also hate knowing I've upset you. Here's some chocolate (optional)

See what I did there? No mention at all of the actual thing that she's pissed off about. Why? Because none of us ever know what the actual * is wrong. There's no point guessing. Just say this and all will be well.

:thumbsu:

In saying that if she asks you what it is specifically you're 'apologising for' (even though you haven't said sorry) you're ****ed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back