Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont the AFL award the PP prior to trade and compensation picks being given? They wouldnt know if Mckay has left or stayed at that stage..
Surprised this hasnt been spoken about more. The priorities we will get:

a) will be before we know if Ben is leaving or not

b) has nothing to do with him leaving even if priority picks were after trade period

I know the paranoia regarding the AFL and us is at red alert levels around here but saying we wont get significant assistance because we are LOSING a player who is aged 25 and in a key position for an 18 year old prospect is just bat sh*t crazy talk.

We should be getting MORE based off this not less. Hopefully its seen that way at AFL house and the club really tries to drive it home during their pitch.

Twomey mentioned again today on gettable the thought is we will get access to Sanders but the ability to match bids on him.

Jack Callinan’s agent was also on. Absolute no mention of North, or NGA when discussing him. I feel giantroo might need to start asking some club contacts about this.

My gut feel is still Sanders access to match bids and like 2023 and 2024 End of R1 PP’s with no caveats.

Yeah, I don’t understand why Callinan doesn’t qualify. A little deep dive shows he’s the son of Ian Callinan, I’m unsure of the indigenous nature there but Jack’s mother is the daughter of Des James, a Tassie in their hall of fame who is certainly indigenous.

Yeah, I don’t understand why Callinan doesn’t qualify. A little deep dive shows he’s the son of Ian Callinan, I’m unsure of the indigenous nature there but Jack’s mother is the daughter of Des James, a Tassie in their hall of fame who is certainly indigenous.
The fact this is all left to the last minute is a sad indictment on how our Tassie NGA is operating

Yes, Jacks maternal side is most definitely aboriginal and a very famous aboriginal family in Tassie football.

As I’ve said over the last few weeks, I now suspect we don’t actually have a Tassie NGA program anymore, or shut it down a few years ago quietly. Maybe around Covid.

Callinan is 100% eligible for NGA access. The problem is, he might not be in an NGA program to qualify. Becuase there’s not an active one in Tasmania anymore.

North’s media department haven’t published NGA squads, camps, try outs or news etc in years.

Given this is Tasmania’s greatest draft class in 2 decades and 3 of their 5 best prospects are NGA eligible, this looms as a monumental * up.

Last edited:
Twomey mentioned again today on gettable the thought is we will get access to Sanders but the ability to match bids on him.

Jack Callinan’s agent was also on. Absolute no mention of North, or NGA when discussing him. I feel giantroo might need to start asking some club contacts about this.

My gut feel is still Sanders access to match bids and like 2023 and 2024 End of R1 PP’s with no caveats.
If matching bids is even half on the table as an option and North still has not shored up all of Sanders, Callinan and Shoenmaker in our NGA, then we will rightfully be viewed as a club run by amateurs.

It's good that Sydney is now strongly involved with McKay because not only are they likely to offer more $, they will also need to offer a longer contract to provide McKay the security to move interstate.

Thing is, i'm not 100% sold that McKay would want to move interstate.
McKay would love Sydney, he’s that perfect age to swan around Bondi.

Having to match on Sanders is such a piss-weak draft assistance package.

"Hey, you can give up picks 15 and 50 for pick 8" ... what a privilege, great assistance AFL.

It would have to come with pick 11 next year and an F2 or something like that. Otherwise, let us prelist him.
Agree. But what do you think if they suggest something like that + off field extra’s like spending? Would that change the dynamic? Because I can’t trust these campaigners, I’m thinking of loop holes they’ll come up with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. But what do you think if they suggest something like that + off field extra’s like spending? Would that change the dynamic? Because I can’t trust these campaigners, I’m thinking of loop holes they’ll come up with
The thing is I don't think they'll need loop holes. The narrative is already that we will end up with too much because of the potential band 1 FA comp. It won't matter that our natural pick (likely 1) and FA comp (likely 2) aren't part of assistance, it will all be unofficially lumped together (it already is).

Even though the FA comp won't be known until a couple of weeks after the date assistance should be announced, I don't think it will matter. They could announce pretty meagre assistance, say the ability to match on Sanders or if we are lucky the ability to pre-list him. From there, the narrative SHOULD be along the lines of it being pretty stingy compared to previous assistance, but it is far more likely, that whatever the assistance is, it will be reported as being on top of us already having pick 1 and likely to be adding pick 2 in a couple of weeks and then be reported as too generous.

They'll just wheel out a couple of anonymous quotes from "opposition scouts" about how compromised their own draft plans are now that we have been given access to Sanders and also likely have the first two picks in the draft. When the FA window opens a couple of weeks later, if McKay ends up staying, the narrative will blame us for blowing the golden opportunity to secure pick 2, instead of putting heat on the AFL for providing an inadequate assistance package.

We all know it is irrelevant and coincidental that we may be losing a FA in the same off-season that our request for proper assistance almost certainly can't be ignored, but unfortunately our voice as a club and supporters is small compared to the wider footy media and community and even though common sense (and the AFL's own rules) say the two shouldn't be linked, self interested media, opposition clubs and fans will happily bundle it all together and still loudly sook about it being too much.

Last edited:
Having to match on Sanders is such a piss-weak draft assistance package.

"Hey, you can give up picks 15 and 50 for pick 8" ... what a privilege, great assistance AFL.

It would have to come with pick 11 next year and an F2 or something like that. Otherwise, let us prelist him

It is, but I will take it.

I think history will show we are big winners in 5-6 years with any Sanders priority access.

He's a sneaky chance to be the best player from this draft in 10 years.

It's absolutely indisputable he's been the best player this year.

I think history will show we are big winners in 5-6 years with any Sanders priority access.

Better than Reid?

I'm a big fan of Sanders and have him rated top 4 in the draft. But having to match is a very big difference from pre-listing.

I'd still take it over nothing.

I'm a big fan of Sanders and have him rated top 4 in the draft. But having to match is a very big difference from pre-listing.

I wouldn't call it a very big difference, using a mid second and 2 third rounders (which we already have) to match pick 6 or 7 after the discount wont be a massive cost.

It's more having to juggle any pick in the first round after the bid it will have an impact on.

Anyway, I actually highly doubt the NGA access will be the only part of the assistance package, I think there will be a few picks ontop of it, if we don't get to prelist him for nothing.

I think it will be something like NGA matched bidding ability + Pick 19 PP + 2024 End of R1 PP

Pre listing is genuine assistance. Matching is what a whole bunch of teams get year in year out as regular legs up.

I wouldn't call it a very big difference, using a mid second and 2 third rounders (which we already have) to match pick 6 or 7 after the discount wont be a massive cost.

It's more having to juggle any pick in the first round after the bid it will have an impact on.

Anyway, I actually highly doubt the NGA access will be the only part of the assistance package, I think there will be a few picks ontop of it, if we don't get to prelist him for nothing.
If its giving us Sanders but taking away Edwards or AReid and another late pick then its a watered down assistance.

I agree that we should get more with it. Like pick 11 next year, even if we have to trade it.

Yes, Jacks maternal side is most definitely aboriginal and a very famous aboriginal family in Tassie football.

As I’ve said over the last few weeks, I now suspect we don’t actually have a Tassie NGA program anymore, or shut it down a few years ago quietly. Maybe around Covid.

Callinan is 100% eligible for NGA access. The problem is, he might not be in an NGA program to qualify. Becuase there’s not an active one in Tasmania anymore.

North’s media department haven’t published NGA squads, camps, try outs or news etc in years.

Given this is Tasmania’s greatest draft class in 2 decades and 3 of their 5 best prospects are NGA eligible, this looms as a monumental * up.
Has the question ever been asked in the member Q&A's about the status of our NGA? Maybe those questions are conveniently filtered out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back