Draft Picks

Remove this Banner Ad

All Saints

Rookie
Jun 20, 2001
melbourne
Other Teams
saints
It looks like we will receive 2 or 3 lower draft picks this year.
With this in mind I had a look at the u18 National championships on saturday.
Firstly Brian Waldron and Mark McLure were there and know a bit more about the talent than I. Also a few players were injured and did not play notably, Chris Judd.
Standouts in the Vic sides were Sam Power,Andrew Carrazzo fromOakleigh Chargers, Luke Ball and Charlie Gardiner from Sandringham Dragons,James Bartel from Geelong Falcons and Mark McGough from from Murray Bushrangers.
Apparently the standouts from the interstate sides were Xavier Clarke,NT, and Steven Armstrong, WA.
I liked the look of McGough who seemed to be developed and could play afl in his first year.

Thanks for that All Saints,

Apparently at this stage a couple of the other standout players and likely top 5 picks, Polack and Sampi, are in the Westar Rules.

Our Fremantle bigfooty correspondent (Sabre) said they are both the likely top 2 picks and are both local Freo players. We can't afford to waste our early picks and I hope if we do select interstate recruits they are happy to move to Melbourne and play for the Saints.

Sainter: I am pretty sure both of those players barely had a touch in the games they contributed in.

There's a lot of impressive Vics, I DID however hear about Sampi last year, being very Winmar like (70metre goals etc), but as is often the case I think consistency is a problem.

There's also a boy called Justin Crowe (son of Max) 190 & 90kg, a bid lad, but the problem is his dad only played about 40 games for the Saints & many more for Essendon....let's hope he's not the one that got away!

Savatage,

You're right. They did seem to have poor National Championships.

However they have both performed extremely well in the Westar Rules competition this year and that is a step up from an underage carnival.

I guess we won't know until later on. We don't even know if we are going to get a priority pick at this stage. (I'd prefer to have a few more wins personally ;))

Justin Crow played on saturday but was not a standout player and did not make the U-18 All Australian side.Neither did Polack or Sampi.
All of the players I mentioned made the side and are local.
I believe Chris Judd will be the No 1 draft pick.

Just thinking if Freo were keen on some players in the Westar competition I would be considering trading a low draft pick for Leigh Brown.He is reasonably local and wants to come home.One catch is that we may not be able to fit him into the salary cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back