longytap

Team Captain
Feb 5, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Essendon
Alright ,time to get the discussion underway for 2012. Last year the DT FWD's, BACKS, MID's, RUCK's individual threads were great:thumbsu:

Dylan Shiel, Adam Treloar, Tom Mitchell, Elliott Kavanagh*, Sam Docherty* (DEF/MID), Brad McKenzie*, Devon Smith (FWD/MID) and Seb Ross would be my budget picks so far.

* indicates that they will be worth getting, provided GWS don't take them.

Dane Swan and Gary Ablett are my top two elite picks.
Pendlebury, Thomas, Selwood, Rockliff, Shiels and Barlow the best value young-ish guns.
Sloane, Trengove, Dangerfield (FWD/MID), Ziebell + others I've blanked on, are players who could break out.
Hayes, Didak, Morabito (FWD/MID) are the players who are likely to bounce back after an injury-riddled year IMO.

should be some really good cash cow mids drafted tonight especially if port get one

i.m.o the first 5 wont be worth the inflated price tag so pick 6 will actaully be quite cheap:D:D:D:D

The salary cap goes up by 7% this year. The base price I think last year was $92,500 so logically that will go up to $99,000.

The first premium draftee will be Brad McKenzie at Pick 18.

So going by the Draft, Prices will be as follows (My prediction) Games played in the U-18 Championships and DT average from the carnival in the next bracket.

Remember the U-18 Championships were only 20 minute quarters with no time on.

GWS 1 Patton (171,000) (5, 98) FWD
GWS 2 Coniglio (167,000) (5, 95.4) MID
GWS 3 Tyson (163,000) (5, 91.8) MID
GWS 4 Hoskin-Elliot (159,000) (3, 59.67) MID/FWD
GWS 5 Buntine (155,000) (4, 44.25) DEF
Port 6 Wingard (151,000) (4, 64.5*) MID/FWD
GWS 7 Haynes (147,000) (3, 47) FWD
Bris 8 Longer (143,000) (4, 70.5) RUCK
GWS 9 Tomlinson (139,000) (4, 43) FWD/DEF
GWS 10 Sumner (135,000) (4, 66.5) MID
GWS 11 Greene (131,000) (4, 81.5) MID
Bris 12 Docherty (127,000) (Couldn't find) DEF
GWS 13 Adams (123,000) (4, 72.5) MID
GWS 14 Devon Smith (119,000) (4, 84.75) MID/FWD
Rich 15 Ellis (115,000) (5, 62.8) DEF
Frem 16 Sheridan (111,000) (3, 47.67) MID
WB 17 Clay Smith (107,000) (5, 76.6) MID
North 18 McKenzie (103,000) (5, 67.4) DEF

Others of Interest
Syd 21 Mitchell (99,000)(2, 81.5) MID
WCE 23 Newman (99,000)(4, 74.5) MID
Adel 41 Grigg (99,000)(5, 83.5) MID

For the midfielders, Greene, Smith, Grigg, Newman, Mitchell as well as Shiel who is already at the Giants look like good picks based on there price. If you are willing to pay the extra coin, Tyson and Coniglio look like locks.

The salary cap goes up by 7% this year. The base price I think last year was $92,500 so logically that will go up to $99,000.

The first premium draftee will be Brad McKenzie at Pick 18.

So going by the Draft, Prices will be as follows (My prediction) Games played in the U-18 Championships and DT average from the carnival in the next bracket.

Remember the U-18 Championships were only 20 minute quarters with no time on.

GWS 1 Patton (171,000) (5, 98) FWD
GWS 2 Coniglio (167,000) (5, 95.4) MID
GWS 3 Tyson (163,000) (5, 91.8) MID
GWS 4 Hoskin-Elliot (159,000) (3, 59.67) MID/FWD
GWS 5 Buntine (155,000) (4, 44.25) DEF
Port 6 Wingard (151,000) (4, 64.5*) MID/FWD
GWS 7 Haynes (147,000) (3, 47) FWD
Bris 8 Longer (143,000) (4, 70.5) RUCK
GWS 9 Tomlinson (139,000) (4, 43) FWD/DEF
GWS 10 Sumner (135,000) (4, 66.5) MID
GWS 11 Greene (131,000) (4, 81.5) MID
Bris 12 Docherty (127,000) (Couldn't find) DEF
GWS 13 Adams (123,000) (4, 72.5) MID
GWS 14 Devon Smith (119,000) (4, 84.75) MID/FWD
Rich 15 Ellis (115,000) (5, 62.8) DEF
Frem 16 Sheridan (111,000) (3, 47.67) MID
WB 17 Clay Smith (107,000) (5, 76.6) MID
North 18 McKenzie (103,000) (5, 67.4) DEF

Others of Interest
Syd 21 Mitchell (99,000)(2, 81.5) MID
WCE 23 Newman (99,000)(4, 74.5) MID
Adel 41 Grigg (99,000)(5, 83.5) MID

For the midfielders, Greene, Smith, Grigg, Newman, Mitchell as well as Shiel who is already at the Giants look like good picks based on there price. If you are willing to pay the extra coin, Tyson and Coniglio look like locks.

Handy analysis :thumbsu: Thanks hdecure

Handy analysis :thumbsu: Thanks hdecure

Thanks. I think it shows that Hoskin-Elliot, Haynes, Buntine and Tomlinson have big question marks as DT pick ups next year.

Patton was a DT superstar in the carnival, but when you are 197cm and 101kg and have the talent of Jonathon Brown, you should be killing it against skinny 17/18 year olds.

Against AFL senior bodies and 171,000, I don't think I'll pick him. Jeremy Cameron was supposedly a top 5 pick in this draft, and he will be base price as a 17yr old GWS pick. He seems a better option than Patton.

Same as Dylan Shiel. Gun midfielder picked as a 17 year old last year, so he will be 70,000 cheaper than Dom Tyson. Prob more likely as a starting 21 for the GWS.

Kavanagh gets out of the price range and will play if fit (Big if, have to question his durability already).

Ross is pretty well made, could play early for the saints depends upon the philosophy of Watters.

Mckenzie may be rookie standard price or close to it, fills a need for the roos, should get games may be a backmen. Ellis also ready made should step in early for the tigers down back, should be a back.

Newman would be a forward and Woosha has said he expects his new recruits to serve an apprenticeship in the WAFL first, so not great early signs.

Grigg is one that comes to me as a great but. Ready made, played league footy at 16. Kerridge also pretty ready made and is base rookie price.

Coniglio should be worth the price and do what Swallow did in his first year, he may miss just because there are to many in front of him.

We all know Tommy Mitchell is a lock.
Plenty of mature rookies to come aswell i would think. Horsely, Valentine ect,ect

Kavanagh gets out of the price range and will play if fit (Big if, have to question his durability already).

Ross is pretty well made, could play early for the saints depends upon the philosophy of Watters.

Mckenzie may be rookie standard price or close to it, fills a need for the roos, should get games may be a backmen. Ellis also ready made should step in early for the tigers down back, should be a back.

Newman would be a forward and Woosha has said he expects his new recruits to serve an apprenticeship in the WAFL first, so not great early signs.

Grigg is one that comes to me as a great but. Ready made, played league footy at 16. Kerridge also pretty ready made and is base rookie price.

Coniglio should be worth the price and do what Swallow did in his first year, he may miss just because there are to many in front of him.

Plenty of mature rookies to come aswell i would think. Horsely, Valentine ect,ect
no he wont

he wont be worth 200k he will get rotated to much be worth anything near 200k

disagree... "We all now" sydney's track record with rookies + their overall poor scoring. Pass thank you...

disagree... "We all now" sydney's track record with rookies + their overall poor scoring. Pass thank you...
that was under roos longmire has given rookies a good go look at alex johnston for example who would have thought he would play pretty much every game pretty certain he wouldnt have under roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the fact that gws have gone for an experienced midfield where as g/c had only rischa and ablett as full time experienced mids makes a difference i.m.o

and plus he wont be worth anywhere near whatever his price will be

the fact that gws have gone for an experienced midfield where as g/c had only rischa and ablett as full time experienced mids makes a difference i.m.o

and plus he wont be worth anywhere near whatever his price will be

GC - Ablett, Rischa, Brennan, D.Harris
GWS - Scully, Ward, Macdonald (35) and Palmer (IMO picked before Palmer if both were at freo this year every week). Palmer is overrated outside of WA and will only play because of his age. Power will play a more forward role and even than im unsure what role Macdonald will play, by the looks he may be best used down back depending on his conditioning, they dont seem to have many experienced small defenders?

Id pick the GC midfield every week over the one that GWS has. Ablett would beat them on his own.

You can keep saying that, but why? thats what im asking. The above reason shown doesnt stack up.

Coniglio has had 2 solid years at WAFL level and could be said to be just as ready made if not more than Swallow. Some people didnt think Swallow was worth the 160k, but he showed he was worth every cent.

GC - Ablett, Rischa, Brennan, D.Harris
GWS - Scully, Ward, Macdonald (35) and Palmer (IMO picked before Palmer if both were at freo this year every week). Palmer is overrated outside of WA and will only play because of his age. Power will play a more forward role and even than im unsure what role Macdonald will play, by the looks he may be best used down back depending on his conditioning, they dont seem to have many experienced small defenders?

Id pick the GC midfield every week over the one that GWS has. Ablett would beat them on his own.

You can keep saying that, but why? thats what im asking. The above reason shown doesnt stack up.

Coniglio has had 2 solid years at WAFL level and could be said to be just as ready made if not more than Swallow. Some people didnt think Swallow was worth the 160k, but he showed he was worth every cent.
good points but still overpriced i.m.o anyway and there are cheaper better options

good points but still overpriced i.m.o anyway and there are cheaper better options

Well i still think thats yet to be known. We thought the same with Swallow and there probably still were 5 better options but you would have to be a genius to get all of them (Libba, Curnow, Trent Mckenzie) ect

I tend to agree with Borrat on this one. I think GWS will rotate their young mids more than GC did because they have more of them and less spots up for grabs.

Of the older guys who will spend a fair bit of time through the middle:

Scully
Ward
Palmer
McDonald
Power
Reid

Then there are the guys who were this year who played very well and will have their hands up from day one:

Shiel
Treloar
Clifton

And the others already there who will compete for time through the middle:

Bugg
Darley
Hampton
Others I am sure I am missing. The 12 17 year olds picked by GWS I think have been better than GC.

Then we have all the other high level picks that GWS took with their 11 first rounders (note more than GC):

Coniglio
Tyson
WHE
Sumner
Greene
Adams
Smith
Buntine and Haynes might also play some midfield time

All in all GWS are stacked with mids. Coniglio is class and will play a lot but GWS are going to be smashed and smashed hard no matter what they do. They will rotate their young guys more than GC did and I would expect Coniglio to be in the rotation with everyone else more so than Swallow this year.

I think the coach is the main factor. Sheedy. He is going to rotate but still expect Coniglio if fit and healthy to play 15-18 games, resting more later in the year.

However i think you underestimate Coniglio a bit, runner up in a BOG to krakouer in a grandfinal for a WAFL team at just the age of 16. Arguably was the player that changed the game.

Dominated the champs, won the best player i think? Avg 22/24 posses and kicked quite a few goals.

Than had some very strong performances in a weak swans side that was full of young players with injuries to older blokes. Had 23 poss, 7 marks, 1 goal and 4 tackles one week and than had 27 posses, 3 marks and 8 tackles in another game.

He would be more ready made and picked ahead of Treloar, Shiels in the draft had they been available. Thats what many reckon and was obviousily picked ahead of those not ready made midfielders in Tyson, WHE, Haynes, Smith, Sumner (all arnt really made for the midfield next year, but will play because they have to but not as many games).

No way would Reid be ahead of Coniglio for a midfield spot.

Remember GC ended up having Trent Mckenzie (ready made), Harley Bennell (had a whole year at WAFL level before GC), Caddy, Weller, Toy, Lock, Stanley, Iles, Harris, Prestia (ready made) along with Ablett, Brennan, Rischatelli and even Harbrow at times on a wing.

GWS have more but not as much quality. Coniglio i see as one of there more quality mids.

He would be more ready made and picked ahead of Treloar, Shiels in the draft had they been available.

I dunno on this one. I don't doubt the class of Coniglio. A given. But Shiel had been touted as a top 3 pick, has excellent skills and is similar in size and shape as Coniglio. He also now has the added bonus of having one full preseason with the Giants, pretty much a full season learning and playing the Giants' game style under Sheedy, and will come in at around 100K less. For whatever talent he might have over Sheil if they had both gone to the draft together, Coniglio has a lot of ground to make up when it comes to the experience that Shiel has had over the last 18 months, especially for double the DT price.

You could probably make a bit more of an argument up against Treloar, but again, looking at proposed price differentials, the decision is pretty easy.

I think the coach is the main factor. Sheedy. He is going to rotate but still expect Coniglio if fit and healthy to play 15-18 games, resting more later in the year.

However i think you underestimate Coniglio a bit, runner up in a BOG to krakouer in a grandfinal for a WAFL team at just the age of 16. Arguably was the player that changed the game.

Dominated the champs, won the best player i think? Avg 22/24 posses and kicked quite a few goals.

Than had some very strong performances in a weak swans side that was full of young players with injuries to older blokes. Had 23 poss, 7 marks, 1 goal and 4 tackles one week and than had 27 posses, 3 marks and 8 tackles in another game.

He would be more ready made and picked ahead of Treloar, Shiels in the draft had they been available. Thats what many reckon and was obviousily picked ahead of those not ready made midfielders in Tyson, WHE, Haynes, Smith, Sumner (all arnt really made for the midfield next year, but will play because they have to but not as many games).

No way would Reid be ahead of Coniglio for a midfield spot.

Remember GC ended up having Trent Mckenzie (ready made), Harley Bennell (had a whole year at WAFL level before GC), Caddy, Weller, Toy, Lock, Stanley, Iles, Harris, Prestia (ready made) along with Ablett, Brennan, Rischatelli and even Harbrow at times on a wing.

GWS have more but not as much quality. Coniglio i see as one of there more quality mids.
shiel and treloar are as ready made as what mckenzie was in fact they are both better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back