West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Eagles have never asked for additional picks and are on record saying they don’t believe they should be available to anyone.

Perhaps that changes with Don Pyke now in charge but the club has never cried poor in terms of not getting enough draft picks.

Find something else to kick them about, there is plenty.

I think they've been absolutely reamed with the bidding systems now completely figured out and now completely destroying any fairness with the draft then the AFL doubled on ******* the draft by handing out help to North across 3 drafts, further ******* their hand.

But I am also completely against the AFL continuing to * everyone else over because of a clubs negligence and I love for them to draw a line and say no more. At least a club like WC would eventually be fine getting the short end of the stick there, as unfair as that is.

The problem also is WC are going to be down there for at least a few more years, it's too early to be getting help after recently winning a flag so I think they've got at least two more years of this pain before the AFL even has a discussion on it - not least because of who they are and the fact they'll be financially successful and propping up other clubs even if they stay bottom for another 50 years. No incentive for the AFl to help them
I will say this before and will say this again... Equalization.

Fremantle consistently had a good 6 years from 2010-15. Sacking Mark Harvey at the end of 2011 opened up a coaching spot filled by Ross Lyon. That means finals in 2012-15. Yeah Guys like Pavlich and Sandilands and McPharlin were in their 30s in that 2012-15 era. Barring a flag... Saying that, it was good, but I have few regrets

Freo spent 6 years not playing finals from 2016-21. 2016-18 was tough. Dockers were bad, but not hopeless. Only year I disliked in that 2016-21 rebuild was 2016. 0-10 and 4 wins in 2016 after finishing top in 2015.

I knew once freo went 0-10 in 2016, it was a long road back. I knew freo were gonna spend 5 years outside the finals spots.

Hawks and Eagles had similar paths when you think about it.

Hawks got their flags in 2013-5. Finals in 2016, missed finals in 2017. Finals in 2018. 9th in 2019 then fell down the ladder in 2020. Hawks traded in guys like Chad Wingard in that period to prolong their finals chances too.

Eagles made finals in 2015-2020. Made a grand final in 2015, finals in 2016-7 then got a flag in 2018. finals in 2019, chases after tim Kelly in 2019. finals in 2020. 9th in 2021, then fell to a heap in 2022.

West Coast have seriously only been crap for 2 years. This is only the 3rd year if it even ends up becoming a terrible year.

Eagles missed finals twice from 2011-2020. They were 9th in 2021 and bottom 2 in 2022 and 2023. Not to mention, they won a Premiership in 2018.

Priority pick talk for West Coast is an while away IMO. If they are still bad in 2026 (or maybe in 2025 depending on how bad), then OK. If not, then we have our answer on whether they need it
Regardless on west coast winning the flag in 2018 is irrelevant.

Yes the eagles are into a rebuild...

Again... one word, equalization.

Teams that spend 4 or 5 years in a row making finals wont get access to early picks.

Again look at freo from 2010-15. We made finals every year but 2011. kept the same players for 6 years. When freo dropped in 2016, it was an ageing squad and had to rebuild. Dockers under the rebuild of Ross Lyon was bad but at least they were getting at least 7 or 8 wins a season except for 2016.

Dockers didnt get a priority picks in 2016-20 Because freo finished in the bottom 6 with 7-9 wins. We did trade actively though.

Again, Eagles had their finals run of 2015-20. 6 years in a row of finals. 6 years of no top 5 or top 10 picks. When the eagles finished 9th in 2021, they had an ageing squad.

teams are gonna spend 3 or 4 or 5 years in arow making finals. Squad becomes old, drop down the ladder and spend 5 years in a row not making finals.

If we have another two or three win season, we will be offered what North were a few years back. A start of second and start of third round pick with the stipulation that we have to trade them. We'll offer the second rounder for Liam Baker and the third rounder for Jedd Busslinger imo.

You are one of the few decent eagles posters on here.

I will ask you an honest question....

Would you rather finish 16th or even 17th or 18th with 4 wins? Or would you rather see the eagles still finish 16th with 6 or 7 wins?

Priority picks can only so much in the short term.

you are better off using the 1st rounder on the best available then use your pick 20 or early 2nd rounder trade in a player or 2 from another club and still bring in 5 or 6 kids in the draft.

I don't understand how North can get fellated with handouts and now talks of West Coast priority picks when we spent 6 years out of finals and got **** all

Its called pride mate.

I will look back at that 2016-21 rebuild, mostly with positive thoughts.

yeah the Dockers rebuild was flawed, some kids and trades were bad but we slowly got it done and improved the squad.

Those 2016-20 years were tough, but I took great pride we didnt ask for a priority pick.

We were as bad but for longer. We were where the Eagles were for over 5 full years ('15 to '20) and all we got was access to a mature aged SANFL player and a packet of chips.

Of course we did rort the s**t out of the previous system at the turn of the century a decade earlier, but even then those picks really just made up for the AFL stripping picks 1, 1, 3 and 18 off us for the salary cap breaches at the turn of the century.
You were bad for longer for certain reasons.

As for your team rorting the system at the turn of the century. It hurt your club at the worst possible time when your club had and ageing squad.

I have posted this before and will post it again.....

Compare Carlton of 2002 to Adelaides 2012 situation. its night and day.

So Carlton in 2002-4 was stripped of picks 1, 1, 3 and 18. Curious which players carlton would of chosen. It lead to your team finishing bottom in 2005-7. Yeah carlton made finals in 2009-11 but it was a hell of road back to recovery.

Crows 2012 situation wasnt that bad. Yes they got done due to the Kurt Tippet contract situation. stipped of the 2012 1st and 2012 2nd rounders, then stripped of the 2013 1st and 2013 2nd rounders too.

Yet... made finals in 2015-7, including the 2017 AFL grand final.

Excellent recruiting from 2007-9 made a huge difference. Dangerfield and Taylor walker in 2007, Phil Davis and Rory Sloane in 2008. Daniel Talia and Jack Gunston in that 2009 draft too.

I don't think you can argue this whilst the AFL enforce a minimum TPP. Money has to go to someone.

Get rid of the salary cap floor and clubs will be able to rebuild quicker without concessions.
What do you mean get rid of the salary cap floor?

It sucks that the minimum playing salary cap floor is 95 percent. There's barely any room to negotiate.

Make the salary cap floor 90 percent or even 92.5 percent.

Salary cap floor means there's a 1.3 million dollar gap.

Thats good. Finish in the bottom 6, use the spare cash to keep and retain the talent.

Make finals, use that 1.3 million dollars to lure a free agent or 2.

We don't need a priority pick. We need the draft to be based solely on reverse finishing position. No father son, academy picks etc allowed to interrupt that order. Give us pick 1,19 & 37 and we'll get out of the hole we are in in due course.

Fans from teams coming in this thread and telling West Coast they don't deserve a priority pick whilst happy to take a different version of a 'priority pick' are putting forward completely disingenuous arguments.
So you want the AFL to change the rules for the benefit of your club.

Cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you want the AFL to change the rules for the benefit of your club.

Cool.

If a wooden spoon team's second round pick drops from 19 to 30, it might warrant a re-examination of the rules.

You’ve got your utensil smoking simp Duffield laying the groundwork. To think he’d act without some imprimatur from the eagles is absurd.
You mean Freo-supporter Duffield?

Also, WCE are currently worse off than when North first got those 2 later picks, presuming they end the season in the current position/percentage.

Considering what North and Gold Coast have received in recent years I dont see the issue with the Eagles (and Hawthorn) receiving a mid first round priority pick.

Just for what it's worth, that's more than North ever got.

If a wooden spoon team's second round pick drops from 19 to 30, it might warrant a re-examination of the rules.
And they would find last year was a one-off. It's usually around 20-21, last year just had an unusually large crop of father-son and academy picks.

But it's a wonderful example of the big-club mentality that, as soon as something works against you, you demand the rules be changed.

And they would find last year was a one-off. It's usually around 20-21, last year just had an unusually large crop of father-son and academy picks.

But it's a wonderful example of the big-club mentality that, as soon as something works against you, you demand the rules be changed.
Maybe Nisbett should get a job at AFL house then? He can swing us some picks for sure if he got in.

It is a pity NicNat stayed as long as he did. The Eagles could have put it on him to leave and scored big time in FA compo. Ditto Yeo, who at least is not carrying a muffin top and is playing better could have been traded.

I really don’t get what is wrong with Gaff. He does not seem to have lost pace. Is this a coaching issue or has AG just had enough? Same with Darling.

I reckon they have some reasonable kids and with a better injury run will win another game or two and end up 17th. Does this improve their case for assistance? Nope.

Maybe Nisbett should get a job at AFL house then? He can swing us some picks for sure if he got in.
Honestly, what's so bad about using the rules that are there already, and have been for years? The Eagles are terrible right now, have been for a couple of years already, and it looks like it's a long way back. The only people who will begrudge the club for seeking assistance are people who enjoy trolling more than they like footy.

Perhaps that changes with Don Pyke now in charge but the club has never cried poor in terms of not getting enough draft picks.
The question has to be asked as to whether this is due to misplaced arrogance or pride from the prior administration. The system is heavily compromised and clubs like ours or Fremantle for example suffer from it every draft. Why shouldn't we look for any opportunity to obtain more badly needed draft capital? The system will not change if we refuse to do so.

For one, North haven’t made finals since 2016. Secondly, they’ve been bottom 2 since 2020, which actually equates to 4 seasons of lowly finishes. Since West coast experienced such prolonged success, I’d say 2026 is the first year I’d accept a priority pick in. Maybe 2025 if things continue to go really bad. But if that happens, then I’d say a first-round priority pick after West Coast’s first rounder would be apt.
I'd say 2026 is even too soon. PP should be based on Teams success not current form. They have been in 7 grand finals and won 4 flags since inception. Not many teams can say they have had such success, if they can't sort their s**t out being the "biggest" club in the land then they can continue to rot at the bottom of the ladder.

Eagles supporters are quick to remind Freo fans how poorly their club is run and have spent many years struggling, now that West Coast have been a joke for 2 seasons some of their silver spoon fans are crying poor.

* West Coast

Honestly, what's so bad about using the rules that are there already, and have been for years? The Eagles are terrible right now, have been for a couple of years already, and it looks like it's a long way back. The only people who will begrudge the club for seeking assistance are people who enjoy trolling more than they like footy.
Ok, fair enough then.

It is a pity NicNat stayed as long as he did. The Eagles could have put it on him to leave and scored big time in FA compo. Ditto Yeo, who at least is not carrying a muffin top and is playing better could have been traded.

I really don’t get what is wrong with Gaff. He does not seem to have lost pace. Is this a coaching issue or has AG just had enough? Same with Darling.

I reckon they have some reasonable kids and with a better injury run will win another game or two and end up 17th. Does this improve their case for assistance? Nope.

That’s assuming he was happy to relocate. Most of our older stars with draft currency weren’t.

We struggle to get trade targets in to relocate as well.

We rarely get academy players as Freo have the more profitable zones (good luck to them as they deserve some concessions based on the little they got at start up). When we do get a decent one they are snapped up prior to 40 as we can’t match.

Some points:

Negative impact from draft concessions and father son:
2010 draft- Pick 1 to pick 4 in
2022 draft- Pick 19 to pick 30, 37 to 49

Positive impact from priority pick for winning 4 or 5 games:
2001 draft- pick 3 (Judd)
2008 draft- pick 18 (Shuey)
2010 draft- pick 26 (Darling)

Either the draft is clean or everyone gets concessions by the same criteria as the 3 above were. Not secret calculations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it wouldn't happen if father son and academy all operated on the "pick 40 rule" that NGA have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back