West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

It should be merged with the "things that haven't happened yet that won't stop people getting their knickers in a knot over" thread
If the eagles get a priority pick, eagles fans deserved abuse from dockers fans.

Go look at freos period from 2016-21. tell me how many priority picks freo got in that 6 year period of no finals?
I'd say 2026 is even too soon. PP should be based on Teams success not current form. They have been in 7 grand finals and won 4 flags since inception. Not many teams can say they have had such success, if they can't sort their s**t out being the "biggest" club in the land then they can continue to rot at the bottom of the ladder.

Eagles supporters are quick to remind Freo fans how poorly their club is run and have spent many years struggling, now that West Coast have been a joke for 2 seasons some of their silver spoon fans are crying poor.

* West Coast

Very hard to argue against this.

Again.... I am still bitter about Freos 2016 season going 0-10 and 4 wins and 18 losses after finishing top in 2015.

I knew once freos 2016 season ended, it was going to be a 5 year period of no finals, at a bare minimum.

take away freos 4 win season in 2016, dockers got 7 or 8 or 9 wins in 2017-20.

Really?

Why are our talent pathways so bad?

Isn't Sydney the 'biggest' club in Australia, according to your president?

Also, your club has played in 4 grand finals in 12 years.

Swans are the last club that should be getting a leg up.
Why is the WA talent pathways so Bad? the process didnt happen over a year or 2. It happened over the decades.

1990s: Eagles made finals every year in that decade. 1992 was the year of the eagles 1st flag, it was also the 1st year of the TAC or NAB or vic country league. Eagles premiership players in 1992 and 1994 were WA locals.

2000s: Eagles had that 2002-07 finals run. That 2006 eagles side had WA talent in Glass, Embley, Cox, Cousins, Kerr, All were drafted. Chick and Tyson Stenglein were from WA but traded from other clubs. Etc. Victorian talent was Judd, Braun, Wirrapanda.

Vic country league starting to be important in Victoria as more money is Put in. AFL didnt really pump money into WA grass roots footy, the WAFC did.

2018 side had WA talent in Yeo, Nic Nat, Liam Ryan, Sheed etc.

As for Grass roots footy pumped into the Aussie rules budget... Well, the AFL priority is to pump cash into Victoria 1st then NSW and Queensland 2nd. South Australia and Western Australia is low on the AFL priority.

Very hard to argue against this.

Again.... I am still bitter about Freos 2016 season going 0-10 and 4 wins and 18 losses after finishing top in 2015.

I knew once freos 2016 season ended, it was going to be a 5 year period of no finals, at a bare minimum.

take away freos 4 win season in 2016, dockers got 7 or 8 or 9 wins in 2017-20.
I just get sick of the sooking, their fans want us to believe they are hard done by, they wouldnt know what a drought was really like and they think their entitled to a free ride because they are of the opinion the AFL doesn't want them to lose money. Seriously? Their fans deserve more years of pain than just just a miserly 2 or 3.

how many years do we deserve?
As long as it takes for you to work it out. Trading your draft picks for Tim Kelly and keeping your aging list together too long so now you have to strip it bare isn't the rest of the competitions fault.

For years we were told how professionally run the eagles were and after 2 s**t seasons your fans want to hold their hands out like beggars.

What a joke

I just get sick of the sooking, their fans want us to believe they are hard done by, they wouldnt know what a drought was really like and they think their entitled to a free ride because they are of the opinion the AFL doesn't want them to lose money. Seriously? Their fans deserve more years of pain than just just a miserly 2 or 3.
From what I've seen in the thread, most of the sooking is coming from non-WC posters.

I am not concerned about the sooking to be honest.

I am more concerned about the social media mentality.

people on here have the attention span of a gold fish and demand things to turn around quicky.

I look at the eagles and crows in the 1990s and 2000s. A rebuild to them is only 2 or 3 years outside the top 8. Not suprising as back in that era, to get a finals spot was getting 12 wins. 8-10 wins at home and 2 to 4 wins away against bottom 6 sides.

Again... 8 finals spots and 10 teams miss out. When tassie and a 20th side comes in, 12 teams dont play finals each year. so yeah, teams will spend 5 or 6 or even 7 years in a row not playing finals.

For all the fun it is to bag out essendon not winning a final in 20 years, these types of things can happen if you dont do things right.

And you wonder why I celebrated that 2022 elim final win vs the dogs very well. It almost felt like a premiership. that was our 1st finals win since 2015. Mundy was a 37 year old Mundy and walters was a 31 year old in 2022. those 2 blokes were left in that last finals win in 2015.

As long as it takes for you to work it out. Trading your draft picks for Tim Kelly and keeping your aging list together too long so now you have to strip it bare isn't the rest of the competitions fault.

For years we were told how professionally run the eagles were and after 2 s**t seasons your fans want to hold their hands out like beggars.

What a joke

you said more than 2-3 so i thought you maybe had a figure in mind

lets say 5?

you said more than 2-3 so i thought you maybe had a figure in mind

lets say 5?
Come back to me in 37 years and only 2 finals wins. Fun fact your club has had as many priority picks as mine in the same time. Brett Deledio & Rance to Chris Judd and Jack Darling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And you wonder why I celebrated that 2022 elim final win vs the dogs very well. It almost felt like a premiership. that was our 1st finals win since 2015. Mundy was a 37 year old Mundy and walters was a 31 year old in 2022. those 2 blokes were left in that last finals win in 2015.

to be fair that frederick run down and walters goal in the 4th had me on my feet too

Non west coast supporters aren't the ones arguing they should get priority picks because your comparing your club to bloody North Melbourne.
But they are sooking about the prospect of priority picks being handed out because the media are speculating about it.

Tbh most WC fans are saying they'd prefer there to be no priority picks.

If the AFL hands them out to WC, it's because they've turned the draft into an absolute circus. It's farcical that the worst team last season got 1 pick in the top 30 in an 18 team competition.

Its been 6 years. In another 2 to 3 years there likely will be none of that team left other than Sheed who is perma injured. Eagles have $7m in cap space opening up over the next three years. And your crying because all their stars are retiring?

You are obviously happy with grand final teams getting full academy access and quality kids every year? Plus free agents. Plus father sons. Plus quality players lining up to move to Sydney and Brisbane and Collingwood

Pretty hard to rebuild when the AFL system allows finals teams to just keep getting better with leg up after leg up.

But you have a sook because the 18th team is crap and has so few stars between 23 and 27 peaking to spend the salary cap on.
Don’t know how you read my post as a sook, think you need to look up the meaning of the word.
For instance your post is more of a sook than what you quoted.

I would prefer a package that removes all FA compensation and priority picks as well as significantly increasing the draft price for F/S and Academy players.

Ie just a fairer competition.

Else, if North want to use their strengths ie begging for picks, let West Coast use theirs and spend by removing the ridiculous soft cap

So at this stage, can anyone show me where WC the club have asked for any priority picks?

I mean we have a 9 page thread with mostly Docker (and for some reason Tiger) supporters being all uppity about something that hasn't at all happened

The only suggestion of it has been made in the media, by a prominent Docker supporter

Why are all the non wce supporters having a whinge? If any compo was to be received id expect it to be a 2nd and 3rd rounder to be traded on for fringe players to be the limit.

Most west coast supporters don't want any compo, id definitely prefer NONE at all. But with that id want ALL the draft "quirks" to be removed. If the afl wants to rig the draft for the Northern states and the roos, then I want them to give us something too, to make it FAIR. After last year in particular, and with those rules continuing, the FAIR thing the afl could do is hand out something, if not then it's very clear that the afl has 0 integrity or commitment to a fair game, and the draft may as well be done away with for zones or something.

It's a disgrace that our 2nd rounder went to pick 30, and that we can't even make use of our local development academies until the very end of the draft, while the Northern states get as many academy kids as they want, with most of those kids likely having gone into footy anyway

The rule should be all priority picks are unavailable until it’s been at least 10yrs after last flag otherwise it promotes being s**t something only big clubs and little clubs that still have Daddy paying the bills can do.
If that includes academies and f/s then I'm OK with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back