Strategy Early Bye and Player Rotation

Remove this Banner Ad

We'd put in sub par efforts against Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong and West Coast before going to Shanghai.

We also finished 2017 pretty well winning our last 3, so you cant really say the early bye is a huge issue.

That's not to say we shouldn't have given Ryder more of a genuine chop out or SPP a rest 2-3 weeks ago, etc.

Such a myth. They train in november ffs. If they are tired now its because they train for 5-6 months before the season starts, not because they have a bye a week or two before other clubs. You sooks will whinge over anything

We'd put in sub par efforts against Brisbane, Essendon, Geelong and West Coast before going to Shanghai.

We also finished 2017 pretty well winning our last 3, so you cant really say the early bye is a huge issue.

That's not to say we shouldn't have given Ryder more of a genuine chop out or SPP a rest 2-3 weeks ago, etc.
True but in 2017 our midfield looked stuff in Rd 18 against Melbourne, struggled against Saints in Rd 19 and got smashed in Rd 20 v crows. We made 6 changes I think after the showdown disaster and brought in the kids - Howard, Marshall, Bonner - who were fresh.

I think it's just another excuse. The real problem is that we are not good enough to bank enough wins to give ourselves enough breathing room to rest players later in the season ala the Geelong example from 2011 that REH mentioned above. Our best team didn't beat Freo and nearly didn't beat Carlton - no way Ken is resting players for those games when we need every win we can get.
Given the byes finish at end of Rd 15, its after this period we start rotating players.

We didn't need to rest players for the triple header of Richmond, Bulldogs and Melbourne. But we should have started planning for it after the Saints game.

But Ken loves running players into the ground. SPP should have been given a week off after rd 14 or 15 last year. We didnt, he got injured and it accelerated his downturn in output for 2017.

As I posted in another thread;

If having a week off two weeks earlier than West Coast makes that much difference to full time professional athletes our entire fitness department needs to be shown the door.
How many times have you heard, if our players are off a few percent mentally then anyone can beat us?

Why not the same for players being a bit physically off during a long hard grinding season?

It doesnt haven't to be the whole team of 22 but when, 1 in 8 games are won by less than a goal, and 40% of games are won or lost by 23 pts or less ie 1 extra goal per quarter it doesnt take much too be off.
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_margins.html

if 4 or 5 players are struggling from Rd 17 or 18, ie the blokes that bash and crash at the stoppages all game and they are a a few percentage points off their best, then making a mistake that lets the oppo get 1 extra goal a quarter isn't that unrealistic.

Manage your players to be a 99.9% for most number of games as possible and not have a few of them going at 96.9% between rounds 17 and 20 when players are battered and bruised.

How many times have you heard, if our players are off a few percent mentally then anyone can beat us?

Why not the same for players being a bit physically off during a long hard grinding season?

It doesnt haven't to be the whole team of 22 but when, 1 in 8 games are won by less than a goal, and 40% of games are won or lost by 23 pts or less ie 1 extra goal per quarter it doesnt take much too be off.
https://afltables.com/afl/teams/allteams/overall_margins.html

if 4 or 5 players are struggling from Rd 17 or 18, ie the blokes that bash and crash at the stoppages all game and they are a a few percentage points off their best, then making a mistake that lets the oppo get 1 extra goal a quarter isn't that unrealistic.

Manage your players to be a 99.9% for most number of games as possible and not have a few of them going at 96.9% between rounds 17 and 20 when players are battered and bruised.
The week after our bye, when the benefits of the bye should be most notable, we played Hawthorn who hadn't had their bye yet and lost.

We had our bye two weeks prior to West Coast 3 months ago. People looking to make excuses may see that two weeks difference after 3 months as significant but I don't.

Managing players' training loads in season would have more of an effect on their current levels of fatigue than a week off 3 months ago.

The week after our bye, when the benefits of the bye should be most notable, we played Hawthorn who hadn't had their bye yet and lost.

We had our bye two weeks prior to West Coast 3 months ago. People looking to make excuses may see that two weeks difference after 3 months as significant but I don't.

Managing players' training loads in season would have more of an effect on their current levels of fatigue than a week off 3 months ago.
Managing training loads isnt going to help someone like SPP who is going to go full bore and get banged up in a game irrespective of how much rest he is given during the week. A week off game time, is more effective than reducing their training loads. Maybe that's why he only got 62% game time in the showdown, he couldnt handle any more.

I dont know about GremioPower but I would look at resting 8 to 12 key high impact players rotating them through this over a 3 or 4 week period.

It worked very nicely for Geelong when they managed their squad of aging stars. Nobody played all 25 games that year. It helped they could rest 5 to 8 players when they played the GC - twice in 2011.

Managing training loads isnt going to help someone like SPP who is going to go full bore and get banged up in a game irrespective of how much rest he is given during the week. A week off game time, is more effective than reducing their training loads. ....
Not saying it isn't but you're arguing that a week off in round 12 would have been much more beneficial to SPP at this point in the season than a week off in round 10. I'm saying that the difference is insignificant.

If only SPP had been able to have a week without football since round 10.

Must admit I was pretty pissed off with Ports running out a pretty comfortable win with Ryder having a great time watching from the bench for most of the second half of the Doggies game. Ideal game to debut Frampton wasted without having a baptism of fire lining up against Grundy or other elite ruck.

Not saying it isn't but you're arguing that a week off in round 12 would have been much more beneficial to SPP at this point in the season than a week off in round 10. I'm saying that the difference is insignificant.

If only SPP had been able to have a week without football since round 10.
No I'm arguing that the byes are spread out, they are over rd 12, 13 and 14 this year, so we might play against a side who has had a bye 3 to 6 weeks ago and our players have had it 6 to 9 weeks ago and they are feeling the pinch.

Melbourne Rd 18 last year was a classic. We had the bye rd 9 and rd 11 and their mid field didn't look as tired as ours in the middle of winter and they smashed ours in the first half. Our mids looked tired rd 19 and 20 and then we pulled the trigger after the showdown and brought in a whole lot of fresh kids.

It is certainly no excuse for our poor finish but I definitely think that early bye puts us at a disadvantage to the rest of the competition and we should not accept that. We are having a bye nine weeks into the season when players probably do not need it. Some other sides get their bye fourteen weeks in and that has to help their longevity. I do not use this as an excuse but it is yet another example of the AFL shafting us. We get the bye in week nine but guess where poor old hard done bye Collingwood have theirs? You got it in one, almost at the half way mark of the season.

The China excursion is not the problem it is more the timing. Is there any reason, other than the AFL's boorish attitude, that the game could not be played a few weeks later? Not sure about the humidity but the average temperatures in Shanghai in June are 21-28 celsius which is not much different to early season Brisbane or Adelaide in March for that matter. It will be interesting to see if the China game gets shifted if we play a Melbourne based club in China next year.

I think the Club should be looking to get the China game moved back by at least two weeks. That would allow us the bye in week 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I'm arguing that the byes are spread out, they are over rd 12, 13 and 14 this year, so we might play against a side who has had a bye 3 to 6 weeks ago and our players have had it 6 to 9 weeks ago and they are feeling the pinch.

Melbourne Rd 18 last year was a classic. We had the bye rd 9 and rd 11 and their mid field didn't look as tired as ours in the middle of winter and they smashed ours in the first half. Our mids looked tired rd 19 and 20 and then we pulled the trigger after the showdown and brought in a whole lot of fresh kids.
Sorry I assumed as you quoted my original post in this thread that you were replying to it.

As I posted in another thread;

If having a week off two weeks earlier than West Coast makes that much difference to full time professional athletes our entire fitness department needs to be shown the door.

Pretty sure the one rotation on the bench for a quarter and a half made a bit of a difference.

The week before, however, Adelaide once again had a four week gap since they had their bye in R14. I would say that makes a lot of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back