EGG splat?

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading this article that i put up on the VFL thread (rich v pies praccy match), why not give Mansell a go, I don't think he would've done any worse than eggy, in fact, he has the attributes that dimma and Co look for in a player.

"Another player who will look to emulate the feats of Houli is Ryan Mansell.
The zippy and tenacious defender is hard to beat one-on-one, rebounds with verve, and is courageous in his attack on the ball".

Reading this article that i put up on the VFL thread (rich v pies praccy match), why not give Mansell a go, I don't think he would've done any worse than eggy, in fact, he has the attributes that dimma and Co look for in a player.

"Another player who will look to emulate the feats of Houli is Ryan Mansell.
The zippy and tenacious defender is hard to beat one-on-one, rebounds with verve, and is courageous in his attack on the ball".

Verve....I like that word

He’s sh*t, always has been. I’ve said it for a while, that’s he’s too soft to play AFL
He’s literally like a ghost around the contest. Just ball watches.

He was nowhere near league football standard...

If he plays another game in the seniors it means we have f**ked up our development.

I was critical of us picking him up again, and that performance proved me right.
He might be too good for the 2's, but he is not good enough for the 1's.2

He just doesn't work hard enough.

At one stage right in front of us, all he had to do was push hard for an additional 10m... he didn't, he stopped, Sydney kicked 3 x 15m (well not sure they were 15m tbh) and ended up with a set shot on goal, all because he didn't work hard enough.

How’s Markov been going at GC? Did we keep the wrong guy? We obviously did, but... Perhaps Markov was expecting games so he would’ve been hard to keep with guaranteed opportunities elsewhere.

People uttering Eggs name in the same breath as our reigning B&F winner. Makes me physically ill.

Eggs doesnt have the je ne sais quoi that Houli and Shorty have/had even when everyone was on their backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think bringing him in was a wise choice but the way people are talking about him is a bit disrespectful. He is a player with strong strengths and weak weaknesses.

He is also 22 with only 9 afl games to his name.... 6 months younger than Patrick Naish, a guy who a lot of people want to come in to replace him. 3 years younger than Short, who also got knocked for similar things when we was 22. I recall Short looking hell ordinary in the finals in 2018 and a lot of people writing him off. His defensive efforts were poor and exposed. 3 years later he was a B&F in a grand final team. No one picked that.

It was a poor call from the coaching group to bring him into the seniors, especially only weeks after he was added to the list again. He needs to go back to VFL for 10 weeks, work on his weaknesses and if he does enough to earn another go when the chance comes up, then he should get it. The way you are all crapping on him is pretty poor. Egg's approaches his career in the right professional manner from all reports and has earned the respect of the playing group. Maybe we all should offer him the same respect

I don't think bringing him in was a wise choice but the way people are talking about him is a bit disrespectful. He is a player with strong strengths and weak weaknesses.

He is also 22 with only 9 afl games to his name.... 6 months younger than Patrick Naish, a guy who a lot of people want to come in to replace him. 3 years younger than Short, who also got knocked for similar things when we was 22. I recall Short looking hell ordinary in the finals in 2018 and a lot of people writing him off. His defensive efforts were poor and exposed. 3 years later he was a B&F in a grand final team. No one picked that.

It was a poor call from the coaching group to bring him into the seniors, especially only weeks after he was added to the list again. He needs to go back to VFL for 10 weeks, work on his weaknesses and if he does enough to earn another go when the chance comes up, then he should get it. The way you are all crapping on him is pretty poor. Egg's approaches his career in the right professional manner from all reports and has earned the respect of the playing group. Maybe we all should offer him the same respect

Excellent post, very well said. 👍

He said Egg has more talent than most but is inconsistent.

Pretty sure he said the same thing once about Shai Bolton. * me, did he make Shai work hard for his spot in the team. I remember people wanting him to be a possible in for the 2017 flag - took him 2 years after that before he cemented his spot

Pretty sure he said the same thing once about Shai Bolton. fu** me, did he make Shai work hard for his spot in the team. I remember people wanting him to be a possible in for the 2017 flag - took him 2 years after that before he cemented his spot

For every Short, who turns it around (and let's face facts, Short had plenty more going for him - booming kick, ball-winning ability, and if needed, nous around goals.
But remember this, for every Short, there's a Ben Lennon and Corey Ellis, or probably two of them. You don;t hold on to them all, wishing and hoping.
I don't see anything that Egg has to set him apart ... sadly. Maybe you can help me, but I don't see an obvious strength in his game.

For every Short, who turns it around (and let's face facts, Short had plenty more going for him - booming kick, ball-winning ability, and if needed, nous around goals.
But remember this, for every Short, there's a Ben Lennon and Corey Ellis, or probably two of them. You don;t hold on to them all, wishing and hoping.
I don't see anything that Egg has to set him apart ... sadly. Maybe you can help me, but I don't see an obvious strength in his game.

His run, carry & disposal can be very good. But when he is not doing that, he is a total liability. An attacking defender with no awareness for defence or the contest, especially when the opponent seeks out a contested game. His good disposal can fall away completely in high pressure games - gets that deer in headlights look

His best 3 games came within his first 4 appearances all of which were relatively comfortable wins.

At his best, he can get you the most meters gained on the ground - at his worst, he is Aaron Fiora
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 2.03.52 am.png

His run, carry & disposal can be very good. But when he is not doing that, he is a total liability. An attacking defender with no awareness for defence or the contest, especially when the opponent seeks out a contested game. His good disposal can fall away completely in high pressure games - gets that deer in headlights look

His best 3 games came within his first 4 appearances all of which were relatively comfortable wins.

At his best, he can get you the most meters gained on the ground - at his worst, he is Aaron Fiora
View attachment 1097573

Fiora was handy in his day - sadly most of those handy days were in black, red and white.

Well said mate..Respect need to be among all on here for Derek after a lot of disrespectful marks on big footy and criticism towards the kid,
He worked hard like a lot of players did at a young age...So stop yours negativity remarks,

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back