End compulsory voting

Remove this Banner Ad

If they ended compulsory voting we would be a one party State with Howard declared King for life

Mark Perica said:
If they ended compulsory voting we would be a one party State with Howard declared King for life
Most democracies have voluntary voting, and yet they all tend to elect left-wing govenments once in a while.

That interest rates nonsence wouldn't have worked anywhere near as well without compulsory voting.

Also, voluntary voting is the only way to become a republic, and get a flag of our own, because all people who don't really care will vote "no" if forced to vote.

P.S. You don't vote for kings. ;)

Funny, I was just reading a slate piece on whether the US should adopt compulsary voting. Ultimately they conclude that there's no great upside to Australia's compulsary voting.

I'm not particular pro- nor anti- compulsary voting myself. I think one benefit though is that we don't see voter supression here like we do in the US. Well the Libs have tried with their closing the roll on the day the election is called nonsense. Come to think of it, they'll probably get that one through the next Senate.

You would be better off keeping it. It is better to be able to vote than not vote.

goaldrush said:
You would be better off keeping it. It is better to be able to vote than not vote.

You could still vote - just not be obligated to.

How amazing - Howard wants to do something that America does. :rolleyes:

I think we should just declare Australia the 51st state now and save the hassle. :mad:

DonFan said:
You could still vote - just not be obligated to.

How amazing - Howard wants to do something that America does. :rolleyes:

I think we should just declare Australia the 51st state now and save the hassle. :mad:

thats crap making voting non-compulsory has been on the agenda for years

we should be entitled to choose if we want to vote - basiaclly what your saying is people are too stupid to work out if they want to vote.

Also you dont need everyone to vote for there to be a winner in an election (in most cases) usually after about 5% of the votes are counted you can predicted a winner.

Grolm37 said:
thats crap making voting non-compulsory has been on the agenda for years

we should be entitled to choose if we want to vote - basiaclly what your saying is people are too stupid to work out if they want to vote.

Also you dont need everyone to vote for there to be a winner in an election (in most cases) usually after about 5% of the votes are counted you can predicted a winner.

You get to choose if you want to vote, the only compulsion is to have your name marked off on the election roll. If you walk in and they mark your name off, you can walk straight out without putting a vote in.

1jasonoz said:
You get to choose if you want to vote, the only compulsion is to have your name marked off on the election roll. If you walk in and they mark your name off, you can walk straight out without putting a vote in.

Precisely. Plus the fact that you have to vote means the average Australian is more politically aware than their US counterpart anyway.

I strongly believe in compulsory voting. It stops the bollocks they have elsewhere where they spend big just convincing people to vote. I think of voting as an obligation - your once-every-three-years input into the political system. All you have to do - all - is turn up at a polling place for five minutes in three years, and its not like there aren't enough polling places floating around the country for you to be able to find one easily enough. Hell, once you get there, you don't even have to submit a valid vote - thus the actual act of voting is not compulsory (and given its a secret vote, it never could be).

Additionally, I strongly hold the view that no one can have a mandate based upon only a percentage of the electorate. If you've only had a 40% turnout, then 60% of people haven't had a say. Even if that's because they are too bloody lazy to make the five minute trip to a polling place, that remains true.

Mr Q said:
Precisely. Plus the fact that you have to vote means the average Australian is more politically aware than their US counterpart anyway.

I strongly believe in compulsory voting. It stops the bollocks they have elsewhere where they spend big just convincing people to vote. I think of voting as an obligation - your once-every-three-years input into the political system. All you have to do - all - is turn up at a polling place for five minutes in three years, and its not like there aren't enough polling places floating around the country for you to be able to find one easily enough. Hell, once you get there, you don't even have to submit a valid vote - thus the actual act of voting is not compulsory (and given its a secret vote, it never could be).

Additionally, I strongly hold the view that no one can have a mandate based upon only a percentage of the electorate. If you've only had a 40% turnout, then 60% of people haven't had a say. Even if that's because they are too bloody lazy to make the five minute trip to a polling place, that remains true.

Bang on, Mr Q. The *only* problem i see with our current system is that it doesnt allow for a valid vote of no confidence in any of the candidates. A voter should be able to register a valid vote that stipulates that they support none of the candidates, but don't want to donkey vote. Small difference, but it separates the uncaring from the disenchanted...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MonkeyButterer said:
Bang on, Mr Q. The *only* problem i see with our current system is that it doesnt allow for a valid vote of no confidence in any of the candidates. A voter should be able to register a valid vote that stipulates that they support none of the candidates, but don't want to donkey vote. Small difference, but it separates the uncaring from the disenchanted...
That's a good idea, but politicians would never accept having a "none of the above" box on the ballot.

MightyFighting said:
That's a good idea, but politicians would never accept having a "none of the above" box on the ballot.

Probably not. There should be an APOLITICAL spot on the ballot is what I have always reckoned. There is nothing wrong with compulsory voting except for the compulsion to make a political decision.

notenoughteams said:
Probably not. There should be an APOLITICAL spot on the ballot is what I have always reckoned. There is nothing wrong with compulsory voting except for the compulsion to make a political decision.

I'll form the APATHY party.

We will run a candidate in all seats and the senate. Our platform will be to promise to do absolutely nothing at all. Abstain from all votes, all debate, all dialogue. Will take the salary though if anyone gets elected.

funkyfreo said:

We will run a candidate in all seats and the senate. Our platform will be to promise to do absolutely nothing at all. Abstain from all votes, all debate, all dialogue. Will take the salary though if anyone gets elected.

Minimalist government eh .Hmmm .Sounds like something I could get behind.
If you need someone to run for this party in the Chisholm electorate.I'm your man.

funkyfreo said:

This isn't dissimilar to the platform of one group of anarchists.

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~anarch/votewelc.htm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back