Endless Summer of Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adelaide was #3 on the list, behind Melbourne and Sydney. I suspect that Perth has now jumped Adelaide, with the new stadium.

Either way, Brisbane is ranked dead last of the 5 major test match grounds, and is currently in danger of falling behind Bellerive and Manuka. Brisbane's attendances have been appalling for a long time now, which is why they're constantly getting the B-team visitors (Pakistan this year, Sri Lanka last year).
Brisbane is also the third largest city in Australia (made much larger once you include the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast), and the ACB has a lot of commercial partners with strong interests in Brisbane. It's hard to see them being snubbed.

The Gabba desperately needs improvements, though, and the lack of live attendance to non-Ashes tests is concerning.

A lesson to us to never change AO's northern character end
I agree strongly --- that 'Hill', the old scoreboard, and the Moreton Bay fig trees all help to make AO iconic, not to mention the fun that can be had in such a picnic-like, informal area.
I'm pretty sure it was January, 1984; Australia/Windies/Pakistan tri-series. My then-girlfriend and I were on a rug in the NNW area, enjoying the Cricket, the drinks and food we'd brought in and the good-natured banter in the crowd. No aggro or crowd rage that I can remember. About 10m or so in front of us, some bloke stood up, dropped his dacks and cheeks-spread-mooned all of us behind him. I don't remember why. General groans and calls of "Put it away, mate" etc. Some wag shouted out,
"Better hope that's only a cold sore, mate" and the whole area laughed. Even some cops nearby.

Long Live the Hill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marnus has sucked the magic out of him.
Smith is used to batting with at least 1 opener ******* it up. He’s not used to sitting for hours watching 2 openers hanging around!

But good on Marnus, really deserves all the accolades right now. Hope he can keep it up for the rest of this summer series.

Smith made a mountain of runs in England, but has really struggled since returning to Australia. He failed badly in both of the Pakistan tests, and scored one of the slowest hundreds in history in the Sheffield Shield. His innings against NZ was almost painful to watch. He's doing enough to not get out, but he's seriously struggling with scoring runs. It's weird, given the form he was in only a few months ago.

He's almost the anti-Warner. Warner couldn't get into double digits in England, and has only been out twice for less than 50 since returning to Australia. Warner on Australian wickets can do no wrong (in terms of his batting - his personality disorders remain fully intact). Smith made a mountain of runs in England, but just can't find a way to score in Australia.

The Lampshade, on the other hand, has thrived both at home and abroad.

Very poor batting performance by NZ bar Taylor.

Starc wad quality though

Smith made a mountain of runs in England, but has really struggled since returning to Australia. He failed badly in both of the Pakistan tests, and scored one of the slowest hundreds in history in the Sheffield Shield. His innings against NZ was almost painful to watch. He's doing enough to not get out, but he's seriously struggling with scoring runs. It's weird, given the form he was in only a few months ago.

He's almost the anti-Warner. Warner couldn't get into double digits in England, and has only been out twice for less than 50 since returning to Australia. Warner on Australian wickets can do no wrong (in terms of his batting - his personality disorders remain fully intact). Smith made a mountain of runs in England, but just can't find a way to score in Australia.

The Lampshade, on the other hand, has thrived both at home and abroad.
It's healthier for Australia that we become less Smith reliant.

Ashes took a huge toll on Smith so reckon we can give him some leeway... particularly when we are winning easily.

Very poor batting performance by NZ bar Taylor.

Starc wad quality though
Starc missing out on Tests in the Ashes has made him work harder for consistency.

Crows could take some lessons from this... ;)

We talk up New Zealand as being competitive and punching above their weight but they've been touring here since 1973-74 and have won a grand total of three test matches in Australia ever (two of them when Hadlee ran riot in 1985-86)

We talk up New Zealand as being competitive and punching above their weight but they've been touring here since 1973-74 and have won a grand total of three test matches in Australia ever (two of them when Hadlee ran riot in 1985-86)

Yeah, it's a real "talk up the minnow" attitude. Though, not many sides have a good record here.

Mind you, I think they could give quite the scare in Melb/Sydney. Somewhat slower/flatter pitches, and Hazelwood out (+ Boult back) does set them up to be a potential danger game or two.

This NZ team is one of the strongest I've seen and, so far, they've been very underwhelming. The reason they rarely beat us here (and have a losing record at home against us) is, well, they've been relative minnows for most of their history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back