Game Day Essendon v Western Bulldogs, Round 21 - 19:25 AEST, Aug 10, 2019.

ESS v WB: Who will win?

• Essendon by 30+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Essendon under 30pts

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Bulldogs under 30pts

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Bulldogs by 30+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who should be in? Who should be dropped?

Essendon-vs-Bulldogs.png

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

essvwb.png

Where and when: Marvel Stadium, Saturday, August 10, 7.25pm AEST
TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide
What it means for Essendon:
After being thrashed at home by Port Adelaide last week, the Bombers need to respond against the Dogs. A win would all but ensure they return to the finals for the first time since 2017, and in the process rule out a challenger.
What it means for the Western Bulldogs: The Bulldogs are on the cusp of the finals, currently a game outside of the top eight. But if Luke Beveridge's men are any chance to charge into September they need to knock out one of the fellow teams that are battling for seventh or eighth position. The Dogs have won five of their past eight games as they've rattled home after a poor start to the season.

The stat: The Dogs have had the wood over the Bombers in recent times, winning their past four match-ups.
The match-up: Dylan Clarke v Marcus Bontempelli or Jack Macrae
Do the Bombers send their tagger to Dogs star Bontempelli or ball-winner Macrae? Bontempelli, who is ranked No.6 in the Official AFL Player Ratings, was best afield last week in his side's loss to Brisbane, but Macrae was also excellent, picking up 45 disposals. It's a tough task for Clarke either way but he has taken down some of the competition's leading midfielders in the second half of the season.
581859_ll.jpg

It's a big week for: Shaun McKernan

The Bombers dearly missed their key forward last week against Port Adelaide after he was a late withdrawal with illness. With McKernan set to return, the Bombers' structure looks far more settled in attack and it means they won't have to move Cale Hooker from the backline.

Big call: Aaron Naughton takes mark of the year in a dominant display in attack, but it isn't enough to get the Dogs over the line.

Prediction: Essendon by 15 points

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs
More By Callum Twomey

Last edited:

I didn't expect Bomber fans to be so low in confidence. We are pretty inconsistent ourselves forward of the center.

There is a tipping point for teams with injuries and imo Saturday looked like we had reached that point. We looked tired, and lazy.

Can't say anything for certain this season but you should be favourites.

I didn't expect Bomber fans to be so low in confidence. We are pretty inconsistent ourselves forward of the center.
The week before against the Suns was a dead giveaway IMO. We are absolutely spent and hobbling towards the line. Bevo has owned Woosha for a few years and I can’t see this playing out differently

Game of the round. Basically an elimination final. Essendon really have to win to consolidate a spot in the 8, while the Dogs need to just keep winning. Both teams capable of playing exciting, electric footy, so as a contest it should be a blinder. Really hard to pick, but if I had to I'll give the edge to the Dogs.

Dogs have wood on dons,
Dons really limping , far too many outs.

Dogs by 36 pts. Naughton and Bonts 4 Goals plus, McRae 67 diposals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a good game. Plenty on the line for both. Going with Bombers by 1-10 points.

Wait, you already said they WOULD beat us, not might but WOULD.

Then when questioned you replied because they are a better team than us. So how can we win?

I think you’ll beat Brisbane this week. Young side going ok but I reckon they’ll run out of steam. Essendon you’ll beat as well. Comes down to the Adelaide game at Marvel and I’d back you in there.

Just my opinion. I think they’re better than you.

Last edited:
Back